TESTERS WANTED! ×

Haney's Book, latest excerpt

GolfSpy WD

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/nyt-leaks-haney-book-excerpt-woods-felt-racially-targeted/

NYT leaks Haney book excerpt: Woods lied, felt racially targeted

In an excerpt of "The Big Miss" released by the New York Times on Saturday, former Tiger Woods swing coach Hank Haney writes about his perception of Woods as often feeling jilted by the media and his peers.

Haney says Woods has a distaste for the likes of Vijay Singh, Ian Poulter and Sergio Garcia. Woods prefers a more reserved character, according to Haney and collaborator Jaime Diaz. Haney also writes of being afraid to even ask Woods for a popsicle from his refrigerator.

In regard to Phil Mickelson, Haney writes Woods felt his American rival was phony and received more favorable media coverage - perhaps motivated by racial bias.

“I have no doubt Tiger felt racial vibes in what he read and heard on and off the course, especially when he was matched up against Phil," Haney writes.

The swing coach delves into Woods' relationship with his now ex-wife, Elin Nordegren, saying the pair showed little affection for each other.

"By the time she and Tiger married, she remained friendly but had become more guarded, even in her own home. She and Tiger developed a calm, almost cool relationship in front of other people, and conversations with them tended to be awkward and strained. I never saw them argue, but they weren't openly affectionate either," Haney writes.

A theme in the book, Haney asserts Woods became obsessed with high-stress workouts which, in Haney's view, did not help Woods as a golfer.

As Woods prepares to play seven consecutive days of tournament golf at the Tavistock Cup and Arnold Palmer Invitational, Haney claims Woods was not forthright about the cause of Woods' 2007 ACL injury. Haney writes Woods first injured his left ACL from 2007 training with Navy SEALs, rather than while jogging at home after the Open Championship as Woods asserted.

Haney also publishes emails and text messages between the two, including accusations by Haney of a lag in Woods' work ethic. The text messages which precipitated Haney ending his relationship with Woods in May 2010 are also in the book.

I was really hoping the book was going to stick to the training side of things and not dig up old laundry. The last excerpt with the Navy Seals training was a fine example of what not to do as far as Haney was concerned. I really have no interest in reading a book about Tiger's personal life. I would have enjoyed reading a book that went over swings, training, tips and focused on what Tiger did do correctly and didn't do correctly. Oh well.

At this point I actually feel bad for Woods. Haney is coming off more and more as nothing but a gold digger himself.

That's what I felt too.

Imagine if some famous guy's doctor someday decided to publish a book and tells the whole world how his patient has hormonal disorders, a small penis, hemorrhoids, etc.

No matter if they are true or not, some things are just meant to stay private, you unethical piece of s***!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Woods will come out with more credit than if this book had not been published.

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

I have to agree with this sentiment. I am interested in a book about Tiger on the range not in the bedroom or where ever he decides to do his non-golf related activities. I am very disappointed that this stuff is in the book. Not necessarily about the injury because that did affect the golf.

As far as race goes, when he first turned pro I heard racial comments from some people. I think he had pretty much transcended racial comments, at least I had not heard any in years until this other stuff happened. Sadly, he gave the bigots ammunition and those of us who may have said back in early years, "I do not give a damn about his color," had no response when they said something this time.

As to whether he had a happy marriage, again, not my problem nor my business. I know that I certainly do not someone coming and writing about me and my ex-wife relationship. This is not an excuse for Tiger's behavior just that I will not buy a book about it.

I have defended Hank and his writing this book on this site. I was apparently wrong about it. All this is going to do is turn Tiger into a sympathetic figure. And if that is the case, Tiger should thank Hank. But do not do it in a SMS or an email because it may be in Volume 2.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Saw Tiger laughing to himself on the final green. I wondered if he was thinking that his victory was the perfect answer to Haney's book being released this week. This Tiger victory will be all the news and Haney will have trouble making the back page.

Rover, I'd wait till more came out before you take the hit for Haney, though I do agree it's been mostly disappointing thus far..Regarding Tiger's call of racism, I find it amusing that when things are going well & Tiger was on top of the world, you never heard a peep about racism from him & others..That $100 million+ in endorsement money that he got?..I'd be willing to bet that a white man/woman signed 95%(probably more) of those checks..It's only when he hit obstacles that he pulls out the "race card"..That happens alot in our society..Is racism still prevalent in America today?..Absolutely!..No doubt..Though I would agree with Rover, Tiger has always transcended racism..I also find it amusing that the only time he has "associated" with the African-American community is when he plays the race card..That card is radio-active..How do you respond to it when an African-American cries "race?"..Especially if you're caucasion? When it's Tiger, I say BULLS**T!!..Tiger ran in the white man's world..At the highest level..And those white men worshipped him..Until he screwed up..Then they deserted him, like they would've deserted any white man..Though race had nothing to do with it..The hookers probably did..And because someone might like Phil more than Tiger?..Race has nothing to do with it..Get real bro, you're just not a real likable guy..Korean, caucasion, or African-American..Doesn't matter..You've always acted like "The Chosen One" & over the past two years, the hens have come home to roost..Welcome home!..Fairways & Greens 4ever....

The point is, Haney's being an amateur psychologist here and not a swing coach. I honestly don't care about Tiger as a person, just Tiger as a player. The Tiger I saw today was a lot of fun to watch. I can't wait to see the Masters when Tiger, Rory, Luke, and Phil are all in contention (Phil being the wildcard of the group).

Agree, that type of dominance and intimidation is just fun to watch.

Whatever he does in private doesn't concern us, it's not like we are going to date him or be buddies with him.

I root for his game, for making golf what it is today!

Already asked for 2 days off to watch the Masters! :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

A swing coach is an amateur psychologist. Since so much of the game mental you must be. As I said in another post working with a hi capper. He has all the shots and if I tell him what to think he is pretty good. He is certainly not stupid but when he walks up to that white ball he it casts a spell.

The problem I have is not Haney being an amateur psychologist. What he may have done is like me tell you about this hi capper and his marital problems (which I only assume he has because he is married) Those are none of our business and nor is it germaine to the subject.

I think you all are looking at this wrong. Haney is just trying to make a buck off Tiger has been for years since Tiger made him famous. He has had two different shows on Golf Channel at one point and now coming out with a book. He is selling the crap out of his name and Tiger's name that made him famous.

If anyone here listens to rock music I am reminded of the band Tool and their song Vicarious. It is all about how people get drawn to disturbing news / images. Here is a link to the lyrics --> http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tool/vicarious.html If you want to watch the video and listen to the song here is the youtube link --> www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg

Haney got the funds for this book back probably a year or two ago when the media was blood thirsty for the tragic news story to sell their product aka the news. I think it was pretty obvious that he wasn't going to be writing about Tiger Practice mentality or golf swing when the book was first announced.

I think that we as golfers would have much rather found about the method that runs the machine that won for years an years and appears to be coming back, but the rest of the public doesn't see Tiger Woods as an athlete that is one of the best that lived they see him more as a Hollywood celebrity. How hard would it hit the media when some big movie star or a politician how hard that hits the media.

It is a shame that Haney didn't go more into the methods but he went with what would bring in the most money.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

A swing coach is an amateur psychologist. Since so much of the game mental you must be. As I said in another post working with a hi capper. He has all the shots and if I tell him what to think he is pretty good. He is certainly not stupid but when he walks up to that white ball he it casts a spell.

The problem I have is not Haney being an amateur psychologist. What he may have done is like me tell you about this hi capper and his marital problems (which I only assume he has because he is married) Those are none of our business and nor is it germaine to the subject.

The key word here is amateur. Even pushing aside the ethical aspect, Tiger's concentration was second to none before November 2009, so it's really nothing Haney as a professional swing coach had to concern himself with. I don't have a problem with Haney saying that Tiger's mind was in turmoil after November 2009 and this affected his swing and ultimately lead to their split, but without unnecessary personal details.

The more I think about it, the book is about two things: 1) To make money. As jmiller said, Haney's all over the golf channel right now, he's looking to cash in as much as possible right now. 2) To protect Haney's legacy by pointing out all flaws he can think of, perceived or not, with the greatest player in the world, who was ultimately worse off after his split with Haney. I'm not saying he was worse off because of Haney, it most likely about his personal life, but that's what it seems Haney is trying to defend himself against.

More fuel to the fire...I really wonder what Haney's reputation will be at the end of all this

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/tigers-agent-says-haney-not-truthful-in-book/

The day before Hank Haney's book “The Big Miss” hits shelves, Tiger Woods showed his latest injury tweak at Doral was minor as he posted his 72nd PGA Tour win at the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

In the book, however, Haney claims Woods lied about the causes of two injuries in their six-year time together.

Haney wrote Woods did not tear his ACL in 2007 while running after the Open Championship, but rather in an exercise with Navy SEALs. The teacher also said Woods injured his right Achilles tendon while doing Olympic-style dead lifts, rather than Woods' assertion of doing so while testing Nike shoes in late 2008.

On Monday, Woods' agent Mark Steinberg disputed Haney's assertions.

“(Hank) Haney admits he never had in-depth, personal discussions with Tiger. This self-serving book is full of guesses and false assumptions,” Steinberg said in an emailed statement.

“Most don't merit a response, but his stories about Tiger's injuries are simply not true. Tiger's injuries, and how they occurred, were exactly as described at the time they happened. Despite repeated claims that this is a golf book, it's not.”

I think you all are looking at this wrong. Haney is just trying to make a buck off Tiger has been for years since Tiger made him famous. He has had two different shows on Golf Channel at one point....

He is now on his fourth show on the golf channel, and I watch or watched this show for the same reason I would have bought this book. To see him teach people to play golf better. But instead of golfing tips with Tiger, we get how he hurt his leg, or screwed up his life, or what ever. That was his choice on all those things and he made it, he has lived with the outcome of those decissions, and he may have ruined the chance to fulfill a lifelong dream of surpassing Jack because of it. But we will not know, so until that happens I am tired of hearing it. I watch Haney's show to see him teach golf, and instead I see Mario teaching him how to cook, and Sugar Ray teaching him how to box. (at least in the previews) I will watch these episodes to see if there is any golf in it, but I promiss you I will not watch the episode when Angie Everheart teaches him how to pose naked for Playboy. Well, if she is the naked on I will watch. But if it is him naked, he is on his own.

Well, jmiller said we were looking at it all wrong, and then went on to agree that he, like the rest of us, were all interesting the golf aspects of this book. jmiller said Haney was in it for the money, I think he was getting plenty of money off of his reputation as long as Tiger was not winning, it was good for Haney. Haney may have had noble intentions when he started the book, but I can only think of my published works, patents and comments on this site. Often I start out to say one thing and what comes out on the computer is some tangent. Lawyers edit a patent until you can not even recognize what it says, and then the patent office rejects it as too vague, Then you pay the lawyers to rewrite it, and finally after may years and thousands of dollars they come and agree to close to what you wrote the first time. The editors probably do the same thing. Of course I am bitter because I got a letter this morning from the patent office and they want something reworded. Hank's book may have done that, because that is what the editors want.

(I read a lot and my favorite author is WEB Griffin. He recapps what has happened in previous books, and get it wrong sometimes. This drives me absolutely crazy. I mean, he wrote it, it is fiction, can't he at least get the damned story right. A friend of mine and I have about decided that when it goes through the editing process, things get changed and other points get added to make the story "flow" better to the point that at some point the story has changed.)

So Haney may have been intending to write one thing and it comes out as something else. That is an excuse but it does not change the fact that those of us on this thread, and many other threads about Tiger, do not care about the other stuff. We can go to Penthouse Forums to do that other stuff.

Someone said that Tiger's win was timed perfectly to keep Haney off the front page. I would say that the other part of that arguement is that Haney's book release was perfectly timed to keep him from being banished to relative obscurity now that Foley is about to replace him as the latest and greatest coach.

With TW's win on Sunday he showed he has eliminated the Big Miss and can now hit fairways. yuck yuck...

Hank has got to feel like a creep on some level. If not then he must have a very big grudge and the money was huge.

I spy with my little eye something...

I meant that we were looking at this from the perspective of a golfer and that is the wrong way since I feel this book was targeted at the general public rather then the golfer. Target audience changes perspective on any type of material. If you are going to read the book look at it in the terms of a soap opera / drama.

Is the book still going to be terrible from that perspective? No, I think it might be good from that perspective. From a golf perspective it is useless I totally agree.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Guilty pleasure moment of the day...shhhhh....I broke down and bought the book... I'm keeping an open mind and figured I could see if some of the excerpts were taken out of context.(Just keep repeating to myself...no preconceived notions while reading) If all else fails it puts me on the same level as the girlfriend and her TMZ addiction.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I meant that we were looking at this from the perspective of a golfer and that is the wrong way since I feel this book was targeted at the general public rather then the golfer. Target audience changes perspective on any type of material. If you are going to read the book look at it in the terms of a soap opera / drama.

Is the book still going to be terrible from that perspective? No, I think it might be good from that perspective. From a golf perspective it is useless I totally agree.

If you are a member of the non golfing public, than why the heck would be interested in anything Hank Haney says about Tiger Woods.

Further more, it is ancient history as far as non golfers go. Tabloid-wise this, especially now that he has won again, why would you care.

Guilty pleasure moment of the day...shhhhh....I broke down and bought the book... I'm keeping an open mind and figured I could see if some of the excerpts were taken out of context.(Just keep repeating to myself...no preconceived notions while reading) If all else fails it puts me on the same level as the girlfriend and her TMZ addiction.

Keep us informed, I am saving my money for golf tees. Since I quit tobacco I eat them like popcorn on the course. :(

I have a feeling most non-golfers have no idea who Haney is, it's not exactly like his book release was part of the evening news.

I have such a low opinion of the book right now, but as RR said, let us know how it is.

I've managed to get through the first 120 pages or so and I will say that it's holding my interest pretty well and that I found at least the part I've read so far about him being in awe of Tiger but in a backhanded complimentary kind of way. Although I do feel as if I'm gleaning a little of what it takes to keep Tiger at a level of practice that I could never even dream of doing.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

In an interview on "The Drive" this morning, Haney stated that he didn't feel badly or out of line for writing this book because he isn't the first coach to do so, & he's just following in a line of other coaches..The interviewer didn't follow-up with, say, "oh really..What other coaches have written similar books?"..Anyway, I can't think of any..Question: what other coaches(golf) have written a similar book?..Fairways & Greens 4ever...

wonder if he counts Joe Torre as one.

Either way, I finished the book today. I thought it was good. Kept me interested and I didn't really notice anything horrible in it. Tiger comes off as a guy who cares about his image and can be stubborn and surly at times. Didn't we already know that?

It's not uncommon for golf instructors to include the pros they work with as examples in their instruction books. Stan Utley does this in his short game book, and Butch Harmon had segments on Greg Norman, David Love III, and Tiger Woods in his book, "The Four Cornerstones of Winning Golf".

In these examples, the books are golf instruction books. But Haney's book is not advertised as an instruction book. It's more like a biography. I've never known a golf coach to write a biography on a player he worked with.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived