TESTERS WANTED! ×

New (2023?) Maxfli Tour golf balls

bgolfb4

I still have over 4 dozen “old” Maxfli Tours to get through, but I’m looking forward to trying the new models. Seems many balls have had price increases except Pro V1’s. So I expect they’ll go up with the (soon to be released?) new Pro V1’s.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

On 12/20/2022 at 10:02 PM, Kenny B said:

Our DSG doesn't have any of the new 2023 models.  I guess I can wait until next spring anyway.

Our DSG has not even had the older models for over a month. 👎 Don't expect the new models anytime soon.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

17 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

Our DSG has not even had the older models for over a month. 👎 Don't expect the new models anytime soon.

... They have been out of the old ball for about 3 weeks here too. The local Golf Galaxy mgr said the '23's were originally due to be released in March then they moved up the dare to January. He was surprised to get a shipment with no warning. It would make sense that they are releasing them early to winter golf climates like the Southwest and Fl. Maybe using us as guinea pigs to see how they sell at $39.99 a box and 2 dozen for $70, which is still a pretty amazing bargain. Hopefully the Cube will be available this spring. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... They have been out of the old ball for about 3 weeks here too. The local Golf Galaxy mgr said the '23's were originally due to be released in March then they moved up the dare to January. He was surprised to get a shipment with no warning. It would make sense that they are releasing them early to winter golf climates like the Southwest and Fl. Maybe using us as guinea pigs to see how they sell at $39.99 a box and 2 dozen for $70, which is still a pretty amazing bargain. Hopefully the Cube will be available this spring. 

Our DSG still has the old ball.  I have never seen anyone else playing this ball; maybe the word didn't get out here locally.  PV1 is the premium ball of choice; I find a lot of them around the course, as well as KSigs.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

44 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Our DSG still has the old ball.  I have never seen anyone else playing this ball; maybe the word didn't get out here locally.  PV1 is the premium ball of choice; I find a lot of them around the course, as well as KSigs.

... Playing 5 days a week I have only run across one person playing the Maxfli Tours, other than those I introduced to them. Evidently so sure nobody played them the guy actually hit my ball in the middle of my fairway. I yelled to his walking companion since he drove off in a cart and he told the player who brought it back and said he was playing the same ball. #3 I asked? No he was playing a #1. Red dots as markings? No, he doesn't mark his ball. Middle of my fairway when no other ball was in sight? Well he didn't see it off the tee and one of his playing partners said he thought it went hard left. 🙄

Had them here. 2 for $60. Didn’t pull trigger but if still there after Xmas I might

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

13 hours ago, MattF said:

As I said, I can buy the new Mizuno ball, which IMO, is a better ball, for $3 more a box.

Hard pass on the Mizuno’s dual core design (greater chance of offcentered core) and rock hard TPU cover. I would take any of the Foremost made thermoset urethane offerings over these.

Edited by storm319

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

10 hours ago, storm319 said:

Hard pass on the Mizuno’s dual core design (greater chance of offcentered core) and rock hard TPU cover. I would take any of the Foremost made thermoset urethane offerings over these.

Have you played the new one?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Unsure if anyone else's store has them - but my local DSG has a small leaflet of golf-specific coupons laying on the golf counter. One of them is 25% off Maxfli balls - but the problem is that the register won't allow it to pair with the discount deals, even when the "sale" price never goes away. I had gone to exchange some Tour X for Tour when I saw the coupon and tried combining the coupon and rewards to the get the 48-pack for the same price as 2 dozen. Unfortunately it didn't work. Ended up leaving with 2 dozen Tour Speeds.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

3 hours ago, MattF said:

Have you played the new one?

Don’t need to. Their balls are made at the Feng Tay factory which only produce injection molded TPU covers which by nature of the process are thicker and harder than cast thermoset urethane. The previous RB Tour felt like a rock to me (as did everything that Feng Tay produced for Nike).

Haven’t liked Bridgestone or Callaway offerings for the same reason. The only TPU ball I have been able to tolerate has been the Srixon ZStar but they have a very unique process that results in a very thin cover which helps with spin and feel.

19 hours ago, storm319 said:

Don’t need to. Their balls are made at the Feng Tay factory which only produce injection molded TPU covers which by nature of the process are thicker and harder than cast thermoset urethane. The previous RB Tour felt like a rock to me (as did everything that Feng Tay produced for Nike).

Haven’t liked Bridgestone or Callaway offerings for the same reason. The only TPU ball I have been able to tolerate has been the Srixon ZStar but they have a very unique process that results in a very thin cover which helps with spin and feel.

So based on nothing but a bias and perception that's your opinion. Until you actually test the ball you can't say.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Not sure anyone mention this yet but new the Maxfli Tour balls are out on the Golf Galaxy’s website. They are highlighting the Tetrahedron design (not sure if that is new) and it looks like they removed the ball alignment which is confusing. They also have the new Tour S model available, I would assume it’s a low compression soft ball to compete with the Callaway Chrome Soft. 

I will for sure try it but will miss the alignment aid. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5 degree; :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60G, 6.0 Flex

:titelist-small: TSI 2, 3W 15 degrees

:titelist-small: TSI 2,  3 Hybrid 18 degrees

:titelist-small: TSI 2, 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

:titelist-small: T200 5 Iron

:titleist-small: T150 6 thru PW

:titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM8 48 & 52; SM9 58 degrees

:titelist-small: :cameron-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5 Putter; :EVNROLL: ER5v Hatchback Putter

:titelist-small: Pro V1-2023 & :maxfli: 2023 Tour Ball 

:titleist-small: Players 4 Plus Stand Bag
Bushnell Tour V5 Rangefinder 

:Arccos: Caddie 

:SuperSpeed:  Training System 

5 hours ago, MattF said:

So based on nothing but a bias and perception that's your opinion. Until you actually test the ball you can't say.

Maybe logical bias based on over two decades of experience testing just about every major urethane release (and many of the larger DTCs) and over a decade of research into various design principles to understand what I like and why I like it. 

What compelled you to buy the new Mizuno ball? Brand perception? Would the fact that Mizuno doesn’t make their balls and likely has little R&D involvement have influenced your decision before buying?

As previously stated, Mizuno balls have TPU covers made in the Feng Tay factory (only 5 brands actually produce their own balls and only a few that don’t actually design their balls) and the prior versions were on the higher end of my preference for overall compression. My experience with other Feng Tay TPU offerings over the years has been that the covers are very hard and lack green side spin vs similarly constructed balls with thermoset urethane. Given this history, it is doubtful that this new offering will have a drastically softer/thinner cover.

So why would someone pay more for a ball with what most experts agree is an inferior cover and that is produced in a white label factory that the MGS ball lab has found to make less consistent balls?   Ultimately I don’t care what brand is stamped on the ball, I care about the end result and there are several factors that can get pretty close to determining that result without hitting the ball.

On 12/22/2022 at 7:06 AM, MattF said:

They jacked the price quite a bit from last year. If they keep doing that, they'll price themselves out of market share and be competing with better balls at the same price.

As I said, I can buy the new Mizuno ball, which IMO, is a better ball, for $3 more a box.

I know they upped the 4 dozen by $20, but still a great deal.

which Mizuno ball?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

17 hours ago, fozcycle said:

I know they upped the 4 dozen by $20, but still a great deal.

which Mizuno ball?

I really like the RB Tour X.

In the bag:

Bag: 

18 hours ago, storm319 said:

What compelled you to buy the new Mizuno ball? Brand perception? Would the fact that Mizuno doesn’t make their balls and likely has little R&D involvement have influenced your decision before buying?

The fact that I got some for testing, put it up against what I was currently playing and for me, found that they performed better.

Mizuno engineers in both the US and Japan collaboratively went through 99 prototypes to get to the new ball over a 3 year period says they have little R&D?

I get it, you don't like Mizuno, good for you but until you actually use a product you're talking out of your arse.

In the bag:

Bag: 

On 12/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, chisag said:

... I have been battling left shoulder tendonitis so hard to give a definitive opinion on the Maxfli Tour '23 ball. But my suspicion is it is just a little better in every way so it certainly performs as well as the previous ball and the good news is the cover is much more durable. The old one looks beat up after 18 holes in the desert but the '23 ball looks almost new.

('23 on right in photo #1 and on left in #2)

1303534656_aMaxfli23.JPG.77d354d12e094f2fcc28cce9a530d446.JPG751035683_aMaxfli223.JPG.623c26be0451e226264fb10436c74798.JPG

For the life of me I can't see any evidence of a "tetrahedron dimple pattern" in the 2023 model. Maybe when I see them in person?

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

5 hours ago, MattF said:

The fact that I got some for testing, put it up against what I was currently playing and for me, found that they performed better.

... Here is the thing. The golf ball business is probably the hardest to break into, unless you are a DTC and either inexpensive or just cheap. Nike was well respected, played on tour by many, popular with Am's and still couldn't make it. Titleist owns the market then you have some legit challengers in Bridgestone, Srixon, Taylor Made and Callaway. Wilson probably can stay afloat with their cheap/soft balls as well as Pinnacle. Not sure how XXIO and Volvik does around the world but must do OK, something us 'Muricans have a tendency to ignore. And certainly Maxfli, Snell, Vice will be around while the jury may still be out with OnCore and CUT. 

... All that said I just don't see any market share for a new OEM ball. It is probably more likely one or more of the above drop out in the next few years. Mizuno could be making the best ball on the market and still fail because no decent player is looking for a new premium ball at a premium price. They may dabble in the DTC market but when Bridgestone comes out with a new version of the B ball only handful of Titleist, Taylor Made, Srixon or Callaway users are going to even demo one. Same with any of them if you have found a ball you love. 

... For my money, Snell and Vice were good and CUT was terrible. If Maxfli Tours had not performed so well in the MGS testing, I didn't have plenty of Rewards certificates to use on balls and Dicks/GG didn't offers them at a discount I probably would have never even looked at them let alone bought some to try. So if Mizuno sent me a trial sleeve, I loved them and they still sold for $42.95 without discounts, I wouldn't play them. And I am someone that likes to try everything. I think there is just no room for Mizuno to seriously compete, falling in no mans land between expensive established premium balls and cheap DTC balls.

... Of course I could be wrong. After doing a sales video for the original Wilson Whale driver, I told the President I didn't think many would play a driver that BIG. 🤪

3 hours ago, MattF said:

Mizuno engineers in both the US and Japan collaboratively went through 99 prototypes to get to the new ball over a 3 year period says they have little R&D?

I get it, you don't like Mizuno, good for you but until you actually use a product you're talking out of your arse.

I apologize if I offended your fanboy sensibilities (regurgitating marketing from the company’s website is telling).

BTW I have no problem with Mizuno (I have gamed Mizuno irons in the past). The criticism was not exclusive to Mizuno, but all brands that utilize injection molded TPU covers (this method simply results in an inferior end product IMO and is primarily favored by most factories because the production process is less complex/expensive).

2 hours ago, Middler said:

For the life of me I can't see any evidence of a "tetrahedron dimple pattern" in the 2023 model. Maybe when I see them in person?

... It is in the cover between the dimples arrangement just like the ProV1 but honestly while I will repeat it in my reviews and I think it is always based in facts, I have never paid much attention to the actual Marketing jargon, especially with golf balls. 

Maxfli: Innovative tetrahedron dimple pattern optimizes ball flights aerodynamics for longer distance

ProV1: Spherically-tiled 388 tetrahedral dimple design for penetrating, consistent ball flight

Taylor Made: The new Tour Flight Dimple Pattern unlocks the next level of aerodynamics

Srixon: New 338 Speed Dimple Pattern reduces drag and increases lift to boost overall distance and produce straighter flight, even in tough wind

Bridgestone: Dual Dimple technology provides efficient trajectory and reduced drag through enhanced aerodynamics 

32 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Here is the thing. The golf ball business is probably the hardest to break into, unless you are a DTC and either inexpensive or just cheap. Nike was well respected, played on tour by many, popular with Am's and still couldn't make it. Titleist owns the market then you have some legit challengers in Bridgestone, Srixon, Taylor Made and Callaway. Wilson probably can stay afloat with their cheap/soft balls as well as Pinnacle. Not sure how XXIO and Volvik does around the world but must do OK, something us 'Muricans have a tendency to ignore. And certainly Maxfli, Snell, Vice will be around while the jury may still be out with OnCore and CUT. 

... All that said I just don't see any market share for a new OEM ball. It is probably more likely one or more of the above drop out in the next few years. Mizuno could be making the best ball on the market and still fail because no decent player is looking for a new premium ball at a premium price. They may dabble in the DTC market but when Bridgestone comes out with a new version of the B ball only handful of Titleist, Taylor Made, Srixon or Callaway users are going to even demo one. 

... For my money, Snell and Vice were good and CUT was terrible. If Maxfli Tours had not performed so well in the MGS testing, I didn't have plenty of Rewards certificates to use on balls and Dicks/GG didn't offers them at a discount I probably would have never even looked at them let alone bought some to try. So if Mizuno sent me a trial sleeve, I loved them and they still sold for $42.95 without discounts, I wouldn't play them. And I am someone that likes to try everything. I think there is just no room for Mizuno to seriously compete, falling in no mans land between expensive established premium balls and cheap DTC balls.

... Of course I could be wrong. After doing a sales video for the original Wilson Whale driver, I told the President I didn't think many would play a driver that BIG. 🤪

I had long thought that Snell and Vice were the best of the DTC golf balls, until I started playing OnCore balls!

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

4 hours ago, MattF said:

I like Mizuno, just have not been available. I have not said anything regarding Mizuno and have not seen any reviews.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

2 hours ago, Middler said:

The tetrahedron pattern refers to the shape of the arrangement of the dimples, not the shape of the dimples themselves.

Here is an expired Spalding patent from the 90’s that illustrates this:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5890974A/en

image.png.59fc14d39dcf276c71899765519dce49.png

With that said, I agree with @chisag. Most of the major dimple patterns on the market are just fine and the fact that they tout the shape of the dimple arrangement points to the struggle that is golf ball marketing. Even though the dimple pattern is incredibly important to a ball’s performance, the room for improvement over what we have seen over the past decade is minimal (granted it could become a more critical factor if the USGA rolls back the ODS).

Edited by storm319

1 hour ago, storm319 said:

The tetrahedron pattern refers to the shape of the arrangement of the dimples, not the shape of the dimples themselves.

OK, I get it. Tetrahedron threw me since it’s a 3D shape, not 2D. I was thinking of actual hexagonal dimples, which I have also seen (Callaway & TM for sure). And I’ve seen the tiny dimples between conventional round dimples on balls too.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

2 minutes ago, Middler said:

OK, I get it. I was thinking of hexagonal dimples, which I have also seen.

I thought the same thing the first time that I saw the tetrahedral and icosahedral pattern references and all I was seeing was round dimples. It made me feel like this:

image.jpeg.9562e13ebd0de7f14aa690fe09a095e4.jpeg

2 hours ago, storm319 said:

Here is an expired Spalding patent from the 90’s that illustrates this:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5890974A/en

image.png.59fc14d39dcf276c71899765519dce49.png

With that said, I agree with @chisag. Most of the major dimple patterns on the market are just fine and the fact that they tout the shape of the dimple arrangement points to the struggle that is golf ball marketing. Even though the dimple pattern is incredibly important to a ball’s performance, the room for improvement over what we have seen over the past decade is minimal (granted it could become a more critical factor if the USGA rolls back the ODS).

Must have been the Spading Eagle. I got a hole in one with that ball.

image.png.bde985281205e09f2d9a1b2b6a46c0f5.png

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

1 hour ago, GaDawg said:

Must have been the Spading Eagle. I got a hole in one with that ball.

image.png.bde985281205e09f2d9a1b2b6a46c0f5.png

... Jealousy aside, that has to be in the running for Best Passive Brag of 2022!  🤗

On 12/18/2022 at 2:39 PM, chisag said:

... Fun little anecdote. My old playing pard was a Golfsmith store manager and he firmly believed that if you rolled 2 golf balls together in your hand, you could tell how much spin they produced by how sticky the covers are. Surlyn balls rolled together like they were covered in grease while Urethane covered balls were a little sticky. I never really bought into his theory but the new Maxfli Tours are the stickiest balls I have ever rolled in my hand. In fact, they don't even move. It's like they are super glued together and I have never had any balls do this. It will be interesting to see if these spin any differently than the previous Maxfli Tours that have a slightly sticky cover and roll together easily. One thing is obvious, these are very different covers. 

Now you have me wondering.  I have played the 2021 Maxfli Tours some this past year and liked them a good bit.  I now wonder if I will like the new ones.  I guess with time, a dozen golf balls and the end of winter I will have some idea.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

On 12/21/2022 at 3:14 PM, Samsonite said:

For those interested, Dick's Online is now doing 2 boxes for $70 of the 2023 balls - savings of $10.  The 2021/2 balls are still 2-for-$60, and the cube is currently sitting at $120.  No cubes available (yet) for the 2023 balls, though I would assume it will be priced at $140. 

If people like the 2021 Maxfli Tours and don't like the price increases on the 2023, why not just buy a bunch of 2021s at discounted prices rather than go to a new golf ball?

•  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

On 12/22/2022 at 9:05 AM, Middler said:

I still have over 4 dozen “old” Maxfli Tours to get through, but I’m looking forward to trying the new models. Seems many balls have had price increases except Pro V1’s. So I expect they’ll go up with the (soon to be released?) new Pro V1’s.

Pro V1s sort of had a price increase last year.  I have been able in the past to buy 4 dozen Pro V1s at the beginning of the season for the price of 3 dozen.  Last year, that sale was not offered.  

• Bridgestone B X.