Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New (2023?) Maxfli Tour golf balls

bgolfb4

8 hours ago, HAC said:

Now you have me wondering.  I have played the 2021 Maxfli Tours some this past year and liked them a good bit.  I now wonder if I will like the new ones.  I guess with time, a dozen golf balls and the end of winter I will have some idea.

... Don't wanna get ahead of myself but so far I think any difference is minimal other than a more durable cover. Unfortunately Phoenix is wall to wall golfers all winter with snowbirds filling every course so no real chance to do a '21 vs '23 test until after Spring Training. But I just can't imagine anyone liking the earlier version and not liking the new version too. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Don't wanna get ahead of myself but so far I think any difference is minimal other than a more durable cover. Unfortunately Phoenix is wall to wall golfers all winter with snowbirds filling every course so no real chance to do a '21 vs '23 test until after Spring Training. But I just can't imagine anyone liking the earlier version and not losing the new version. 

Thanks for the help.  I found in experimenting a couple of years ago that I like a Pro V1 more than a Pro V1x because for me the Pro V1x spun too much.  That is why your post got me a bit nervous.  

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

On 12/26/2022 at 8:05 AM, HAC said:

If people like the 2021 Maxfli Tours and don't like the price increases on the 2023, why not just buy a bunch of 2021s at discounted prices rather than go to a new golf ball?

That's for sure an option - for the record, I'm not shocked they raised their prices, nor do I find the increase substantial enough to keep me away from trying out a dozen or two.  I was all ready to pull the trigger on the '21 cube, when I saw that the new ball was headed our way, so I'm torn 🙂 There are several courses here where lost-balls are a rarity (open, no real water, etc.), so added durability is a real plus - I usually find that my Snells only really last about 9 (ish) before getting some scuffing - not enough to relegate them to a garbage bin, but enough that I know performance may be impacted, so they usually make it into my "putting shag bag".  

I would be pretty shocked if the new ones are DRASTICALLY different than the '21 balls, but I would hope that incrementally all-around would be the goal - and 2 for $70 is still a hell of a deal.  I may do two boxes of the new vs. 2 of the old and see if one outperforms the other (for my game), and then stock up accordingly. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Got an email from dailygolfsteals today with the 2021 Tour for the 2 for $60 price. Of course Dick's still has the 4 dozen for $120.

Haven't seen any discount on the 2023 ball as yet. 

Edit:

Sorry, it looks like the 2023 but 2 for $70 when you get to the site.

Edited by Larryw

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

• 3 weeks later...

Been using the Maxfli Tour X for the last 6 months and the only negative I have with them is the way they dull so quickly as others have mentioned. I hate the price increase, but the way the US government handed out cash there was no way to avoid inflation. I will still wait until MSG (hopefully) does a ball lab on them to see how they perform. I might go back to the Tour model though as the X do seem a tad (maybe 5-10 yds) shorter off the tee.

I want to try out the 2023 Maxfli Tour and Pro V1’s - but it’s going to be a long while (sigh)…

0BA91983-72A1-4082-BD17-0DC0F3447B0A.jpeg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I thought the box with the stripes were last year's model.  Of course, that could be the only difference.

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

1 hour ago, NC Golfer said:

That's why I never buy more than 1-2 dozen. There's always another new ball we'd like to check out. 

The prices are just too good when you buy 4-5 dozen of some brands, e.g. MaxFli, Snell.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Any update on the 2023 version vs the older one? I'm coming from the Srixon Z Star XVs, and looking for a change. I'm hopeful the Maxfli doesn't turn into one of those ProV1 deals where people swear a certain year was better than the latest releases. 

I don't care for the range ball markings on the previous model. You guys think I'm safe to just jump right in with the 2023s?

10 minutes ago, MrPerfect said:

Any update on the 2023 version vs the older one? I'm coming from the Srixon Z Star XVs, and looking for a change. I'm hopeful the Maxfli doesn't turn into one of those ProV1 deals where people swear a certain year was better than the latest releases. 

I don't care for the range ball markings on the previous model. You guys think I'm safe to just jump right in with the 2023s?

... Yup, you are safe. I have been using them for the last several weeks and they are more durable, keep their sheen longer and don't have those two range ball alignment aids for the CG and it looks so much better. Performance is at least equal to the previous Maxlfi Tours but they may be a hair better in the wind and a hair longer off the driver. Trajectory, iron and green side spin seems the same although I have not done a ball to ball comparison. Pictures on Page 3. 

The “range ball” alignment markings don’t bother me, but I won’t miss them either.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

16 hours ago, chisag said:

... Yup, you are safe. I have been using them for the last several weeks and they are more durable, keep their sheen longer and don't have those two range ball alignment aids for the CG and it looks so much better. Performance is at least equal to the previous Maxlfi Tours but they may be a hair better in the wind and a hair longer off the driver. Trajectory, iron and green side spin seems the same although I have not done a ball to ball comparison. Pictures on Page 3. 

Appreciate the response. I've seen you chime in a few times in the different discussions I've been reading, so I'm happy to hear your endorsement. Did you ever play with the matte version? Looks like it's not coming in the 2023 line. My favorite ball of all time was the Callaway Tour ix (2008?) which was the first and only matte ball I've used. 

1 hour ago, MrPerfect said:

Appreciate the response. I've seen you chime in a few times in the different discussions I've been reading, so I'm happy to hear your endorsement. Did you ever play with the matte version? Looks like it's not coming in the 2023 line. My favorite ball of all time was the Callaway Tour ix (2008?) which was the first and only matte ball I've used. 

... Just personal preference of course but I am just not a fan of a matte finish on a golf ball. My 30yr old son loved the matte look, bought some white matte finished Volvik balls and hated them on the course. 

I did a review on last year's model; I liked them.  I was disappointed to learn that they are a Dick's house brand.  Can't/won't get into why on this forum, but that company will never see a dime from me.

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

1 hour ago, Bluesman57 said:

I did a review on last year's model; I liked them.  I was disappointed to learn that they are a Dick's house brand.  Can't/won't get into why on this forum, but that company will never see a dime from me.

Part of the reason I am behind on this ball is that I haven’t been to a DSG in 5 or 6 years. I suspect our reasoning is the same. 

On 12/16/2022 at 2:52 PM, Kenny B said:

No 2023 Maxfli Tour balls in YELLOW???  

Yea I'm disappointed in this myself.    I play the yellow balls to distinguish between my ball and another old fart who thinks the first one he arrives at is his.  😆  Everybody plays white except for me so I like yellow for this reason....

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Just bought 4 dozen of the 2023 Tour ball. Still have a few '21 balls left to work through but this should get me through the year (maybe more if I stay away from the hosel lol).

I recently bit the bullet on Ballnamic to see what the fuss was about and get a good data-driven look at what ball(s) are a good fit for me. The '21 Maxfli Tour was a 93% match at worst (played around with some numbers and reran the results a few times - think I have one last go with it). The balls that "outperformed" Maxfli were all heavily skewed towards wind performance or flier prevention and ranked pretty evenly everywhere else that I cared about. Honestly not too concerned about wind or fliers because I don't play the same shot for those scenarios.

I would have liked to see the '23 ball in there but Ballnamic won't have that for another 6 months or so according to what the site says regarding new models. I figured I might as well get the new model because they probably haven't changed much. The '21 model did very well and the introduction of the Tour S allows them to play around without reworking the formula on two already popular and highly rewarded golf balls. Toss in the fact that DSG relies on Foremost (if I remember correctly) and there probably wouldn't be much difference anyway.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Dick's/Golf Galaxy is having a sale on them currently right now!  You can get them for $30 bucks a dozen as long as you buy four dozen,  I bought 2 dozen of the regular cg tour, 1 dozen of the of S, and 1 dozen of the X.  The regular one is the one I have played for the last two years, but I am curious to try the other two.  If I still like the regular one better no big deal, my wife will enjoy the softer S, and my son will enjoy the added spin of the X!  Can't wait to see how mygolfspy grades these and how they stack up to the competition!

Just reiterating - the cube on the new '23 models is available through the end of the night. $120 (plus tax) for 4 doz. Going to bring back the 2-for-$70 I bought last week. Excited to get these (Tour X) into play this year. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I got a dozen each of the Tour and X ‘23 models about a week ago. I’ve done quite a bit of testing in my garage sim.

They’re very similar for me (110 driver speed). The only thing I’m seeing is the X spins JUST a little more on most shots. The X is also a few yards longer off the tee. Seems like it really does just come down to feel between the two. 

I'm still confused about why they discontinued the yellow versions. 😥 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

49 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Seems to be an anti-yellow trend here and even worse for glossy yellow. At least, Srixon still has it for most of their line.  I guess the demand doesn't warrant the cost for a separate manufacturing process?

Edited by NC Golfer

3 hours ago, ole gray said:

... I haven't heard anything about discontinuing. The 2023 versions were not supposed to be released until March so hopefully the yellow is released then, especially in the Maxfli Tour S. 

3 hours ago, ole gray said:

You and I most likely shop at the same Dick's since we live very close to each other. Not sure if the yellow has been discontinued, but this store is not my favorite. It was several months before they even had the tour model in stock. Hopefully they will get the yellow ball back for you.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Unfortunately I have seen articles saying that only the Tour S will be available in yellow. Hopefully Maxfli changes their mind. I loved the Tour ball in yellow.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag