Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

My Bag is a Mess! Suggestions?

Violinguy

I bought a set (5-AW) of Taylormade Stealths over the summer, and while I hit them well, and very long, they have created a problem with both gaps and redunencies in my bag.  I have a huge gap between AW and SW, and I also have 3 clubs I can hit 210 - 5-iron, and 3&5 hybrids.  So, I figure I have two options:

1. Stick with the irons, and replace/build the rest of my bag around the strong-lofted Stealths

2. Get properly fitted and go with what is suggested.  I have my eye on Sub70 699/699 pro, Srixon ZX5/7, and Mizuno JPX 923 (probably hot metal pro)

I hit the ball plenty far, even before the reduced loft of the Stealths.  I don't mind going back to my 165-yard 7-iron instead of the 180+ one I have now.  Honestly, I should have done a fitting in the first place, but that's lesson learned.  Thoughts?

:callaway-small: BB Epic 10.5 turned down to 9.5. Stiff - Driver

:755178188_TourEdge: 3W - Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge: EX-9 3 & 5 hybrids, stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth irons, 5-PW, AW, Dynamic Gold Stiff

:vokey-small:SM6 56-degree SW, and 60-degree wedge

:ping-small: Zing Putter w/Winn NTP midsize grip

:taylormade-small: Tour Soft

Wish list - Sub70 699 pro irons, Titleist TSI 3 driver

4 minutes ago, Violinguy said:

I bought a set (5-AW) of Taylormade Stealths over the summer, and while I hit them well, and very long, they have created a problem with both gaps and redunencies in my bag.  I have a huge gap between AW and SW, and I also have 3 clubs I can hit 210 - 5-iron, and 3&5 hybrids.  So, I figure I have two options:

1. Stick with the irons, and replace/build the rest of my bag around the strong-lofted Stealths

2. Get properly fitted and go with what is suggested.  I have my eye on Sub70 699/699 pro, Srixon ZX5/7, and Mizuno JPX 923 (probably hot metal pro)

I hit the ball plenty far, even before the reduced loft of the Stealths.  I don't mind going back to my 165-yard 7-iron instead of the 180+ one I have now.  Honestly, I should have done a fitting in the first place, but that's lesson learned.  Thoughts?

IMO, the problem isn't the Stealths but the current gapping.  If you hit your clubs well,  you don't need a fitting but a gapping assessment.   You didn't specific how much of a gap you have between AW and SW or your top of bag gapping but I'd drop a couple of the clubs you hit 210 and  fill the AW/SW gap.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks for your input.  Currently, my AW is 49 degrees and I can hit it about 120.  My SW is 56 and I can manage about 90 yards.  Maybe replace the 2 hybrids with a 5W and get 54 & 58 degree wedges to close the gap.  Then I can spend my fitting money on a proper driver fitting.  It is awfully nice to tell my playing partners (with a smile) that I just hit 6-iron on that 200 yard par 3 🙂

:callaway-small: BB Epic 10.5 turned down to 9.5. Stiff - Driver

:755178188_TourEdge: 3W - Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge: EX-9 3 & 5 hybrids, stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth irons, 5-PW, AW, Dynamic Gold Stiff

:vokey-small:SM6 56-degree SW, and 60-degree wedge

:ping-small: Zing Putter w/Winn NTP midsize grip

:taylormade-small: Tour Soft

Wish list - Sub70 699 pro irons, Titleist TSI 3 driver

9 hours ago, Violinguy said:

Thanks for your input.  Currently, my AW is 49 degrees and I can hit it about 120.  My SW is 56 and I can manage about 90 yards.  Maybe replace the 2 hybrids with a 5W and get 54 & 58 degree wedges to close the gap.  Then I can spend my fitting money on a proper driver fitting.  It is awfully nice to tell my playing partners (with a smile) that I just hit 6-iron on that 200 yard par 3 🙂

This is such an honest answer - thanks! 

I would agree that if you are happy with the iron start there and build around that. The only caveat would come if the 56 were your short game hero. 

Most anyone will benefit from more clubs at the bottom of the bag than the top.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

10 hours ago, Violinguy said:

35 minutes ago, revkev said:

Most anyone will benefit from more clubs at the bottom of the bag than the top.

As @revkev says, focus on the scoring clubs.  Depending on how the bag is setup from top to bottom, I’d consider  just dropping the two hybrids and putting two more wedges in the bag to hit 100 and 110 yards.  That would give you a nice 10 yard gapping between 90 and 120 yards with basically a full swing.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, Violinguy said:

One of the problems with many new iron sets as you've found out is the strong lofts, I have a set of Apex 19 irons that were stronger than my previous set and I changed some of the lofts to keep the gapping correct. You definitely want the gapping correct for your scoring clubs (wedges), if you're happy with the clubs you have you can adjust (increase) the lofts on your new PW/AW to close the gap but also might need to decrease the loft on your SW/LW. That's a huge gap you currently have between your AW and SW, check and make sure the listed lofts are correct.

I'm with @cnosil on this. If you are hitting the irons well stick with them and fix the gapping. I would probably start with dropping the 3 hybrid if it is going the same distance of the 5 hybrid. The 5 will give you more height and stopping power. Then put in a 54-degree wedge, start there and see how it goes. Sometimes it's not about the gapping but also the performance the club is intended for. You might want to keep the 5 iron in the bag for windy days where you want a lower ball flight but keep the same distance.

I have an interesting wedge set up in my bag but it's by design. PW 45, GW 50, SW 55, SW 56.  The 56 is strictly for bunker use and it's a Cleveland CBX. Wonderful out of the sand. The 55 is a Sub 70 JB and this is for getting the ball up and on the green from 80 yards in. The sole of this club is lower to the ground, and I can open and close the face easier. I also have a substitute club based on the course I'm playing. I have a Cleveland CBX in 60 degrees. I will swap the 56 for the 60 if the fairways around the green are lush if tight it stays in the car. I can also use this out of the bunkers as well, but I prefer the 56   

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

This is the real problem with strong lofts. Personally I don't care if your 7 iron is 28 degrees or 33 degrees. But in order to achieve 28, it means your wedge gapping is likely too large. PW to AW in the stealths is 6 degrees. 9 iron to PW is again 6 degrees. That's not helping most people in the scoring clubs.

And theres an even bigger problem on the other end of the bag. OP has speed, but most mid and high cappers these clubs are targeting don't have the speed to launch a 21 degree 5 iron. Even a 24 degree 6 is questionable. If you end up replacing these with hybrids you payed alot of money for a mini iron set. If you keep them you have clubs with limited gapping. Or you've committed yourself to buying new hybrids and 5 woods to try to fit in. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I don’t see your AW-SW gap as a huge problem if you can develop a consistent less-than-full swing with your AW. Several years ago, I had a 47 degree wedge I hit 115 and a 56 degree I hit 85. I bought a 52 degree specifically to cover the gap, but could never consistently hit it past 90. I learned to hit the 47 degree 100 yards by choking down 1-2 inches and taking a 3/4 swing. I made more consistent and solid contact with the shorter swing and got so good at it, I started game planning that distance into my normal rounds.