Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mandatory tee boxes?

3 hours ago, vandyland said:

I guess, in my mind, golf is still challenging no matter how far back I play because unfortunately the hole never gets any bigger, hahaha. 

... So true! Exactly why I said ""Fun" is subjective just as much as "challenge" is subjective." Everyone has their own interpretation of what is "fun" and what is a "challenge". My point that the game is supposed to be difficult certainly doesn't mean anyone has to embrace that difficulty. It really is one of the things I love most about golf. It is difficult to share many sports with others that are not at your level. For me it is a challenge playing against the course and myself but I can certainly do that while sharing a round with someone that is a 20 index and new to the game or played for years taking mulligans, rolling the ball and never hitting from a divot as long as they are pleasant company and keep pace. I enjoy sharing golf at any level when players enjoy their personal challenge or just have fun and not even keep score. It is such a unique sport! 

... One of my playing pards is 80 and hits it a ton for his age getting it out there 180 and occasionally 200 normally shooting in the mid to upper 80's. I talked him into trying the forward tees on 6 of the longest holes because most of the time with 2 good shots he couldn't reach the green. He did and has enjoyed his rounds more since moving up and is now shooting in the mid to lower 80's and we are both pulling for him to shoot his age! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

This is a really interesting topic to me.  I've played golf for about 1 year.  It's a hard thing to pick up at 49 with no athletic ability.  Anyway, I didn't read every post on 7 pages of discussion so if I'm repeating someone else, I'm sorry.  I do think there's a perspective I can offer since I'm so new to the sport.

1.  I want to play the more forward tees, but people won't let me.  They say I'm cheating or not old enough or not a girl.  There is tremendous pressure to play from further back even though I'm terrible and don't want to.  I joined a men's league and was forbidden from playing the front tees even if I set my handicap from them.  They wouldn't allow it.  It's ridiculous.  99% of the time I don't even keep score and just enjoy the game, but people get pissed if I want to hit from up front.

2.  People talking about drive distance don't take into account average vs best.  Some friends and I own a Uneekor golf simulator.  We have 2 low handicap golfers who invested in this thing that their average drive is considerably shorter than they thought.  If I hit a nice drive, it goes maybe 200-215 yards.  I also hit a lot of 50 yard drives.  They're seeing the same thing.  Their average drive is a lot shorter than they believed because they were discarding all their poor drives in their average.  

I'm certainly no expert on how to determine which tee to hit from, but there's some legit culture issues inside the clubhouse pressuring people to hit from places they should not.  

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5 Fujikara Speeder NX 50r

#3, #5, #7 fairway woods 1 Iron Golf

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

Panhndi, I am so sorry to hear your experience with playing from the proper tees. Honestly, in the golf world I grew up in it has normally been a culture of trying to help new golfers enjoy their experience, to make it inviting for you or anyone to witness many of the most important part of the game, which in my mind is networking with new people, getting great outdoor exercise, and being as competitive or non competitive as you like, there is tons of room for all of these pieces of this great game. My advice to you is to quit the course you are currently playing on and go to where the other members aren't so arrogant. If you are playing there because your buddies are there, tell them you aren't enjoying the experience and maybe they will move with you. That whole post makes me think I would never want to play at that club. If some of the other golfers on this site are experience similar feedback, golf is in big trouble.

committed to performance excellence

There’s a 5 course group down here which is always booked solid, both with tourists and locals. As a matter of fact the last year I heard about it they booked more rounds in a 12 month span than anywhere else in the country.

The starter would always warn groups on the first tee to play up one tee from the distance they would back home due to low elevation, the air density and course condition usually being soft. Rarely did the tourists listen. 
Finally a couple of years ago they changed the colore of the tee markers. Let’s say people thought they were playing whites at 6100 yds. They moved the whites to where the greens were previously and it played at 5800 now. Nobody (except the locals) knew, and they never got a single complaint.

People are stubborn. We laugh all the time when paired with someone outside the area. We always tell them to hit an extra club. They never do. They come up short by that distance all day and complain “my swing is off today. I usually hit my 7i 160.” Yeah okay. I told you when we started it would only go 145 today you jacka**.

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

6 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

Panhndi, I am so sorry to hear your experience with playing from the proper tees. Honestly, in the golf world I grew up in it has normally been a culture of trying to help new golfers enjoy their experience, to make it inviting for you or anyone to witness many of the most important part of the game, which in my mind is networking with new people, getting great outdoor exercise, and being as competitive or non competitive as you like, there is tons of room for all of these pieces of this great game. My advice to you is to quit the course you are currently playing on and go to where the other members aren't so arrogant. If you are playing there because your buddies are there, tell them you aren't enjoying the experience and maybe they will move with you. That whole post makes me think I would never want to play at that club. If some of the other golfers on this site are experience similar feedback, golf is in big trouble.

Trust me when I tell you, I’d be the last person to defend a lot of the things that go on in golf leagues, but in this case I agree with what they’re telling you, and here’s why.

if you went to a course by yourself or with others and wanted to move up to the very forward tee nobody would say a word. It’s your dime. When you play in a league however you’re playing by a set of rules that were explained and you agreed to. Those rules are there to “protect” the field. it’s not about one person, it’s about the group.

With any golf league you play in, there will be people complaining about someone or something. The longer you play in them the more you’ll come to appreciate the time and effort the person who runs your league puts in. He’ll never make everyone happy, he puts up with a lot, and he does a job most would never want to do.

Think of it this way. You wouldn’t join a mens baseball league and expect to ba able to hit off a tee because you were a beginner, would you? That might be a silly analogy, so just accept the extra strokes you’re getting to play a course that might be too long for you. Use those strokes to your advantage and win some money. 😉

EDIT I just realized I quoted you by mistake. This post was meant for the poster you’re replying to, @panhndl

Edited by Grand Stranded

8 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Trust me when I tell you, I’d be the last person to defend a lot of the things that go on in golf leagues, but in this case I agree with what they’re telling you, and here’s why.

if you went to a course by yourself or with others and wanted to move up to the very forward tee nobody would say a word. It’s your dime. When you play in a league however you’re playing by a set of rules that were explained and you agreed to. Those rules are there to “protect” the field. it’s not about one person, it’s about the group.

With any golf league you play in, there will be people complaining about someone or something. The longer you play in them the more you’ll come to appreciate the time and effort the person who runs your league puts in. He’ll never make everyone happy, he puts up with a lot, and he does a job most would never want to do.

Think of it this way. You wouldn’t join a mens baseball league and expect to ba able to hit off a tee because you were a beginner, would you? That might be a silly analogy, so just accept the extra strokes you’re getting to play a course that might be too long for you. Use those strokes to your advantage and win some money. 😉

EDIT I just realized I quoted you by mistake. This post was meant for the poster you’re replying to, @panhndl

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you’re saying except for the fact that the league uses handicaps to try to level the playing field.  I wouldn’t be taking advantage by playing from tees further up simply because my scores would still be handicapped.  There’s plenty of 65+ men who play from the forward tees that can certainly kick my ass.  The only reason I’m not allowed to tee off from the forward tees is that I’m 50 instead of 65+.  

To me, that doesn’t really make a lot of sense.  

9 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

I live in a small town with only one course.  I’m not really complaining too much since I usually play by myself, my father in law or my son and can play up from the shorter tees if I want.  I just wanted to point out that there is a culture side in golf pressuring people to play from inappropriate tees.

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

12 hours ago, panhndl said:

1.  I want to play the more forward tees, but people won't let me.  They say I'm cheating or not old enough or not a girl.  There is tremendous pressure to play from further back even though I'm terrible and don't want to.  I joined a men's league and was forbidden from playing the front tees even if I set my handicap from them.  They wouldn't allow it.  It's ridiculous.  99% of the time I don't even keep score and just enjoy the game, but people get pissed if I want to hit from up front.

Simple solution is to not play in the league and just play your non score keeping causal rounds from whatever tee box you want and using whatever rules you want.

Bur if you play in the league you have to play by the rules of the league regardless of how you feel. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Simple solution is to not play in the league and just play your non score keeping causal rounds from whatever tee box you want and using whatever rules you want.

Bur if you play in the league you have to play by the rules of the league regardless of how you feel. 

Right.  And this is a discussion of appropriate tees for the player.  I brought up that there is a culture of pressuring players to play from inappropriate tees and league is one of them, especially with a handicap system.  

People want to bring in new players.  They claim to want to make the sport inviting and welcoming for new players then I list a specific place the wider golf community pressures players to make it more difficult than it has to be and your response is to suggest I not play. 

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

59 minutes ago, panhndl said:

Right.  And this is a discussion of appropriate tees for the player.  I brought up that there is a culture of pressuring players to play from inappropriate tees and league is one of them, especially with a handicap system.  

People want to bring in new players.  They claim to want to make the sport inviting and welcoming for new players then I list a specific place the wider golf community pressures players to make it more difficult than it has to be and your response is to suggest I not play. 

You’re being tone deaf here.
There’s a difference between telling you not to play in a league that has rules you don’t agree with, and telling you not to play golf.

1 hour ago, panhndl said:

Sounds like the league should think about doing split tees or something to make it more appealing the everyone. 

Sorry if I missed this in a earlier post, but has it been brought to the league or has a request for potentially two divisions been made or anything along those lines?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

51 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

You’re being tone deaf here.
There’s a difference between telling you not to play in a league that has rules you don’t agree with, and telling you not to play golf.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to say you were telling to stop playing golf, but you did tell me to stop playing in league.  

I’m merely pointing out that the golfing community often pressures new (or maybe just poor) players to play inappropriate tees.  I will continue to play in league as long as I can find a team to take me and play from the tees required even though it is rare for me to be very competitive. League is super fun, but I doubt my experience is particularly unique.  And to be clear, I am not mad about the league rules.  I just think they’re a little silly.

14 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Sounds like the league should think about doing split tees or something to make it more appealing the everyone. 

Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but has it been brought to the league or has a request for potentially two divisions been made or anything along those lines?

We really couldn’t add an additional league division.  The course is pretty busy.  It would make more sense to me to just let the players to set their handicap from the tee box that fits their game the best.  They will likely not do that, and that’s fine.  I’m not really trying to change my league.  My point is and has been that while lots of players play tees too far back for them because they’re hardheaded (or maybe just jerks), the wider golfing community does put some pressure on poorer players to play from the “men’s” tees even if they should be playing from the “senior’s” tees.

I thought the perspective of a new golfer might be refreshing.

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

1 hour ago, panhndl said:

I’m merely pointing out that the golfing community often pressures new (or maybe just poor) players to play inappropriate tees.  I will continue to play in league as long as I can find a team to take me and play from the tees required even though it is rare for me to be very competitive. League is super fun, but I doubt my experience is particularly unique.  And to be clear, I am not mad about the league rules.  I just think they’re a little silly.

My point is and has been that while lots of players play tees too far back for them because they’re hardheaded (or maybe just jerks), the wider golfing community does put some pressure on poorer players to play from the “men’s” tees even if they should be playing from the “senior’s” tees.

... You will find many rules surrounding golf are simply there to stop cheaters. A handicap should be your average score, but sandbaggers have dictated a silly formula that prevents putting in higher scores to inflate their index. Same for leagues and tournaments. A tournament is going to place you by index or age and if you are shorter than the other competitors the assumption is you have a stellar short game or you wouldn't be entering. 

... I can't speak for a small town with one course but in Chicago and Phoenix, both having well over 100 courses I have never seen anyone in the golfing community put pressure on anyone to play longer tees. Although I have seen the opposite where beginners or high index players are asked to move up.  I believe golf is a difficult sport and it should be as challenging as possible while still being playable and to some extent ... fun. That said if someone is a beginner or they are distance challenged, moving up is still challenging for them. While I have only played with a handful of golfers that played a tee too short for their ability and wondered why they would make the game too easy like flying a bunker at the corner of the dogleg protecting a short par 5 and leaving a short iron approach that is designed for a hybrid or long iron, I would never suggest they move back or ask them why they were playing a less challenging tee box. On the other hand over the years I have seen literally thousands that are playing tee boxes too long of their ability.

... My suggestion would be since you stated the league is fun for you, play from the league tees as a challenge and ignore the small minded Oklahoma good ole boys that have a "a culture of pressuring players to play from inappropriate tees"  but play wherever you feel gives you the ability to challenge yourself while still having fun when not in a league.  

35 minutes ago, chisag said:

... You will find many rules surrounding golf are simple here to stop cheaters. A handicap should be your average score, but sandbaggers have dictated a silly formula that prevents putting in higher scores to inflate their handicap. Same for leagues and tournaments. A tournament is going to place you by under or age and if you are shorter than the other competitors the assumption is you have a stellar short game or you wouldn't be entering. 

... I can't speak for a small town with one course but in Chicago and Phoenix, both having well over 100 courses I have never seen anyone in the golfing community put pressure on anyone to play longer tees. Although I have seen the opposite where beginners or high index players are asked to move up.  I believe golf is a difficult sport and it should be as challenging as possible while still being playable and to some extent ... fun. That said if someone is a beginner or they are distance challenged, moving up is still challenging for them. While I have only played with a handful of golfers that played a tee too short for their ability and wondered why they would make the game too easy like flying a bunker at the corner of the dogleg protecting a short par 5 and leaving a short iron approach that is designed for a hybrid or long iron, I would never suggest they move back or ask them why they were playing a less challenging tee box. On the other hand over the years I have seen literally thousands that are playing tee boxes too long of their ability.

... My suggestion would be since you stated the league is fun for you, play from the league tees as a challenge and ignore the small minded Oklahoma good ole boys that have a "a culture of pressuring players to play from inappropriate tees"  but play wherever you feel gives you the ability to challenge yourself while still having fun when not in a league.  

The sandbagging stuff I get and the league has done a pretty good job of structuring things to try to eliminate it.  

I personally think the resistance is just tradition.  Those are the men’s tees so that’s where I’m supposed to play.  Those are the senior’s and I’m not a senior.  

Again, I was just providing a different point of view.  

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

On 1/14/2023 at 10:48 AM, panhndl said:

I personally think the resistance is just tradition.  Those are the men’s tees so that’s where I’m supposed to play.  Those are the senior’s and I’m not a senior.  

... I have a playing partner that is 66 I play with every Mon/Wed/Fri and he won't move up to the senior tees until he reaches 70 when he officially becomes "a senior." 🙄  He shoots around 90 but one day this fall the stars aligned and he shot an 80 beating his career round by 4 shots. I told him he could shoot 80 more often if he moved up a tee box but he refuses. He listens to the few instructions I have given him, he went to a fitting I signed him top for and bought a full bag of Callaway clubs but won't move up. He cannot reach any of th 5 long par 4's on the course and it takes 3 good shots to reach the par 5's. Granted once in a blue moon when he really catches a drive then hits a perfect 5 wood he has reached the longer par 4's but it is so very rare. Great guy, loves golf but his tee decision is a head scratcher. My other playing pard that is 80yrs old took my suggestion and moved up on all the long par 4's to the forward (red) tees and is enjoying his round much more since moving up. 

... And you are proving a point many of us have been trying to make for years. Do away with "mens" "seniors" and "ladies" tees and have them a suggestion by index or playing ability. 

21 hours ago, panhndl said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to say you were telling to stop playing golf, but you did tell me to stop playing in league.  

I’m telling you if you don’t like the rules of the league don’t play in the league. You knew what they were before you signed up so therefore you agreed to play by them. The majority of leagues aren’t setup for tee designation by one’s ability or where they normally play from to establish their handicap. The tee is based of age.

If you think they are silly why did you signup to play under them? 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

19 hours ago, chisag said:

I have a playing partner that is 66 I play with every Mon/Wed/Fri and he won't move up to the senior tees until he reaches 70 when he officially becomes a senior.

That might be his version of do not go gentle into that good night, which is understandable to some degree for those on the down slope side of the hill.    I know several folks like that.  Me, if it's flat I'll stick a tee in it. 

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

33 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m telling you if you don’t like the rules of the league don’t play in the league. You knew what they were before you signed up so therefore you agreed to play by them. The majority of leagues aren’t setup for tee designation by one’s ability or where they normally play from to establish their handicap. The tee is based of age.

Our men's league allows choice of tee's (except black for some reason), and that includes combos of b/w, and w/g.  We can change tee choice 3x/season (winter season is ~7 months).  I just chose white as a default not really knowing the courses too well at that time.  I now see that many strategically choose tees to gain strokes based on their index and whether they feel the added yardage is problematic.  I'm now going to change to the b/w which will get me 2 strokes on two courses and 1 stroke on the other two.

Fortunately we don't get lots of wind here... if we do, I may regret the switch 😆.

But yea, if you don't like the league rules to a great extent, just don't play in the league.  A few guys I played round with when we first moved here said they used to play men's league but stopped doing so because of all the "pissing, moaning, and complaining".  Thus far, except that play tends to get a bit too slow at times, I've not experienced that.  I did win my flight about a month ago in an individual low net.  Checking scores at the end of round brought a couple of "sand-bagger" comments from guys I had never met before.  The funny thing is, no one has commented the weeks I've not won money. 🤣

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Our men's league allows choice of tee's (except black for some reason), and that includes combos of b/w, and w/g.  We can change tee choice 3x/season (winter season is ~7 months).  I just chose white as a default not really knowing the courses too well at that time.  I now see that many strategically choose tees to gain strokes based on their index and whether they feel the added yardage is problematic.  I'm now going to change to the b/w which will get me 2 strokes on two courses and 1 stroke on the other two.

Fortunately we don't get lots of wind here... if we do, I may regret the switch 😆.

But yea, if you don't like the league rules to a great extent, just don't play in the league.  A few guys I played round with when we first moved here said they used to play men's league but stopped doing so because of all the "pissing, moaning, and complaining".  Thus far, except that play tends to get a bit too slow at times, I've not experienced that.  I did win my flight about a month ago in an individual low net.  Checking scores at the end of round brought a couple of "sand-bagger" comments from guys I had never met before.  The funny thing is, no one has commented the weeks I've not won money. 🤣

Our Men's gangsome play from the Blue tees, which is where I played from until last May when I moved up to the White (senior) tees.  The ability of the players vary quite a bit and it doesn't coincide with age.  I couldn't compete with them because of driving distance.  It's difficult to make birdies when you can't reach greens in regulation, so they didn't really want a lower index player on their team anyway.  Generally, I have observed that 3-4 players usually win all the money in these games, and I am an unwilling donor.  

Their "rule" is a player can play from the White tees when the player's handicap + age = 90.  My age... 75 + handicap from Blue tees = 84, so I need to become a much worse player to play with them from the White tees.  One guy plays from the Red tees because... well, he is 93.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I find this league discussion humorous to some extent.  Leagues are established by the group of similar minded golfers for enjoyment and competition. They all have rules that they determine and vary from course to course.  One cannot simply join a league and expect them to accommodate an alteration of the rules to benefit that individual...sorry.  See the pro and ask him about other groups that would better suit your needs.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Our Men's gangsome play from the Blue tees, which is where I played from until last May when I moved up to the White (senior) tees.  The ability of the players vary quite a bit and it doesn't coincide with age.  I couldn't compete with them because of driving distance.  It's difficult to make birdies when you can't reach greens in regulation, so they didn't really want a lower index player on their team anyway.  Generally, I have observed that 3-4 players usually win all the money in these games, and I am an unwilling donor.  

Their "rule" is a player can play from the White tees when the player's handicap + age = 90.  My age... 75 + handicap from Blue tees = 84, so I need to become a much worse player to play with them from the White tees.  One guy plays from the Red tees because... well, he is 93.  

That's an interesting format.  Clearly, lots of variations being used.  I honestly don't worry about it to any great extent... just thrilled to be playing and being competitive (most days 😜).  I've been watching our season leaderboard and it's changed quite a bit as the weeks roll along.  To me that suggests the system being used is pretty fair.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

5 hours ago, MacTourney said:

That might be his version of do not go gentle into that good night, which is understandable to some degree for those on the down slope side of the hill.    I know several folks like that.  Me, if it's flat I'll stick a tee in it. 

... I certainly have no complaints as he rides in a cart while the rest of us walk and he always keeps pace. He isn't hurting anyone but himself by making the game more difficult than it should be but he is happy with his choice and so are we. 

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Did you read anything I typed?  I enjoy league.  I joined to meet some other golfers in my town and found quite a few folks I knew but didn’t realize they golfed.  I enjoy the competition and the opportunity to golf more under a little pressure.  It’s also the only league I can join.  And my point of bringing up league had nothing to do with changing league.  It had everything to do with the discussion around proper tees for a golfers’ ability.  

You’re fixating on something that really isn’t central to the discussion of tees and golfers choosing poor ones for their ability.

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

I find this league discussion humorous to some extent.  Leagues are established by the group of similar minded golfers for enjoyment and competition. They all have rules that they determine and vary from course to course.  One cannot simply join a league and expect them to accommodate an alteration of the rules to benefit that individual...sorry.  See the pro and ask him about other groups that would better suit your needs.

Yeah.  That wasn’t my point at all but the discussion around league play seems to have taken on a life of its own.  It wasn’t my intent steer the conversation that direction but here we are.  Sorry about that.

League play seems to be a sacred cow.

Edited by panhndl

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

8 minutes ago, panhndl said:

Did you read anything I typed?  I enjoy league.  I joined to meet some other golfers in my town and found quite a few folks I knew but didn’t realize they golfed.  I enjoy the competition and the opportunity to golf more under a little pressure.  It’s also the only league I can join.  And my point of bringing up league had nothing to do with changing league.  It had everything to do with the discussion around proper tees for a golfers’ ability.  

You’re fixating on something that really isn’t central to the discussion of tees and golfers choosing poor ones for their ability.

Yeah.  That wasn’t my point at all but the discussion around league play seems to have taken on a life of its own.  It wasn’t my intent steer the conversation that direction but here we are.  Sorry about that.

League play seems to be a sacred cow.

Personally i feel too many course dont have enough tees for their golfers. And by that i mean so many have 3 of 4 sets of tees when really many courses could do with 5 or more to ensure golfers are playing the proper tees and not only that when you have more moving up a set then doesn't become this big deal that many make it out to be. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

If there is money to be made or some type of award on the line, most golfers are going to complain about sandbagging or he should be playing from other tees.

I like playing against the golf course, even though it always wins.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Personally i feel too many course dont have enough tees for their golfers. And by that i mean so many have 3 of 4 sets of tees when really many courses could do with 5 or more to ensure golfers are playing the proper tees and not only that when you have more moving up a set then doesn't become this big deal that many make it out to be. 

Our course has 4 but the difference between the women’s and seniors is negligible.  Our course is pretty easy so I don’t really think another set is warranted unless they wanted to do a kids’ tees about 150 yards out from the green max.  I’ve played a couple courses with those and I would love it for my son and daughter to have that on our home course.  

I’m pretty lucky in that our local course is rarely backed up and pace is rarely a real problem.  There are really only a couple holes where the men’s tees are substantially different from the seniors other than distance.  By that I mean, you don’t really have different obstacles by playing further back except on a couple holes.  It’s just a matter of distance on about 15 or 16 of the holes, and our course is very open so even very short or poor shots rarely result in lost balls.  It really helps keep pace reasonable.  I know that is absolutely not the case in areas where it rains more and the rough is more overgrown.  

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

34 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Personally i feel too many course dont have enough tees for their golfers. And by that i mean so many have 3 of 4 sets of tees when really many courses could do with 5 or more to ensure golfers are playing the proper tees

... panhadl touched on this but I love this idea. They should have a forward forward tee box for beginners, kids and senior ladies or very senior men. Most courses could easily accommodate this with tee boxes off to the side of the fairway and if that isn't feasible, just put some tee markers in the ground at an appropriate distance. 

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... panhadl touched on this but I love this idea. They should have a forward forward tee box for beginners, kids and senior ladies or very senior men. Most courses could easily accommodate this with tee boxes off to the side of the fairway and if that isn't feasible, just put some tee markers in the ground at an appropriate distance. 

My wife doesn't usually play because of shoulder issues, so when I do get her out she just tees off at the appropriate time from the 100 yd marker. It keeps her involved, no special tee boxes required.

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

5 minutes ago, excourse said:

My wife doesn't usually play because of shoulder issues, so when I do get her out she just tees off at the appropriate time from the 100 yd marker. It keeps her involved, no special tee boxes required.

... That's awesome and I see some Dads/Moms do this with kids late in the day. But too many need the formal invitation of a tee box and just won't do that. 

22 minutes ago, chisag said:

That’s the way they do it in Angel Fire, NM.  They have tee markers on the edge of the fairway on one side or the other.  Works great.

To take that same concept further, players could play from up on the short tees and play the course like it’s a par 3.  Definitely off topic but it could be fun.  

5-LW irons 1 Iron Golf

Scotty Cameron Del Mar

Lefties Rule!

2 hours ago, panhndl said:

Our course has 4 but the difference between the women’s and seniors is negligible.  

Perhaps this statement is a clue as to why people are playing from the wrong tees or are being pressured/forced to play from the wrong tees.   We have categorized tees by gender or age.  While I know this has been done for many years,  society is changing the labeling for lots of things so why not for tee boxes?   LPGA players don't play from the designated "women's" tees and  Senior PGA pros don't play from the "Senior" tees.   Male amateurs play from tees to satisfy their ego and/or simple reluctance to admit they aren't able able to play from the farther back tees.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG