Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Nuun Electrolyte Enhanced Drink Tabs – REVIEW

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Nuun Electrolyte Enhanced Drink Tabs – REVIEW

An Official MyGolfSpy.com Review

DSC_0036.jpg

It's Got Electrolytes…

What are electrolytes? I don't know, but they are extremely awesome. Thank you Idiocracy for making be think of

whenever I see the word “electrolyte”. While Nuun may not make you “Win at Yelling” it does address a basic need for anyone who participates in physical activity: hydration.

“But Dave, what's wrong with just drinking the water provided on the course?” Excellent question, thanks for asking. In a perfect world, nothing. However, I have played at courses where the available water is just below “perfect”. Drinking fountains that barely dribble past the spout and jugs that are neither insulated nor changed frequently show up at some of the local muni's more than I would like to see. Sometimes it seems like the water comes with a side salad. :blink: Part of my pre-round ritual is loading up the water bottle and dropping it in the bag. In the hot summer, maybe a couple of bottles. Perhaps a few malty adult sports drinks as well…

“OK so I'll just pack water from home…”

Not so fast grasshopper. When you sweat, you are not just losing water, but also salts, i.e. electrolytes. Check out what Nuun says about hyponatremia HERE. Because reading is hard, I'll let you know that hypomatremia is a condition where the sodium levels in the blood fall to dangerous levels. One way that this can happen is by sweating out the sodium and only replacing the fluids with water. Drinking electrolyte-containing solutions to rehydrate allows the blood sodium levels to remain in the “healthy” levels. As always, I am not a doctor, so if you have more health related questions, consult your real doctor.

So Why Nuun?

That is an excellent question. We all know the big electrolyte kid on the block. We will call him “Mr. G”. What does Nuun have going for it that Mr. G does not? Top of the list for me is portability. I can drop one of the Nuun tubes in my bag and have twelve doses of electrolyte goodness. Just add water. Even the nasty tasting water at your home course will taste better and be healthier after adding a Nuun tab. If the water at your course is really bad though, you still may need to boil it first. :D

Here is what Nuun says:

• Zero Sugar
  • Important Electrolytes
  • Under 8 Calories
  • 11+ Light Refreshing Flavors
  • Easy to Use
  • Dissolves in 16oz of water in under 2 minutes.

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

11+ Light Refreshing Flavors

So Nuun sent me five of the eleven flavors to test. The flavors tested were:

• Tangerine Ginger
  • Tri Berry
  • Goji Berry Green Tea
  • Lemon+Lime
  • Cucumber Mint

DSC_0040.jpg

As you can see, some of the flavors are more traditional while others are more exotic. The Tri Berry and Lemon+Lime flavors were both solid, although my wife thought the Lemon+Lime tasted salty. I just told her that's the electrolytes working! Tangerine Ginger was OK. I was hoping for the bite of the ginger, but no luck. Goji Berry Green Tea was not for me. Your mileage may vary, but it scored a yuck for me. This leaves us with Cucumber Mint. I was all set to gag when I tried this one, but boy was I surprised. Of all the flavors, this was by far the most refreshing. I can definitely see drinking this one on a hot summer day. Total surprise, and a good one.

Dissolves in 16oz in two minutes

Well in the name of science, here you go…

That's pretty close. A little bit of stirring or shaking will move the process along even faster. I does go slower in cold water, but it still eventually dissolves. Drop one in your water bottle at the start of the round and you should be good to go. Maybe another at the turn to be sure you are fully hydrated.

IMG_3431.jpg

“So should I get some Nuun?”

I am comfortable recommending Nuun electrolyte tabs as a hydration solution for the active golfer. A four-pack of twelve tabs runs $24 for a cost per drink of 50¢. No tip to the cart girl required. Seems like a bargain to me, especially if you can find a flavor that you like. Nuun has a few multi-pack options so you can try out the different flavors before committing to one. A bunch of pros including Lucas Glover and Paul Casey endorse and use Nuun. These guys make a living with their bodies and they trust Nuun for hydration. Stay hydrated like the pros, even if you can't play like them. ;)

What are you spies using to stay hydrated? I am curious...

DSC_0053.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

not gonna lie, I kinda liked the Brawndo video better than your tablet video :P

interesting, not really something I like about when golfing, but I guess if I make it to the in-laws' closer to summer this might be worth looking at.

I only carry water and I always thought it was enough.

I don't like sports drinks... they have way too much sugar for my taste.

I'll go check if they sell nuun in Germany or an alternative to it.

Good review!

On really hot days, no matter how much water I drink, I still get some headaches after the round.

I wonder if that's a symptom for hyponatremia :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Brawndo is no match for

Seriously, though, this seems like a solid idea. I like that you can put the tabs in your bag and just have them there all the time.

Lol, this video is a running joke with my friends. I had the same thought seeing this review but was too busy to look up the video. I could definitely use more 'lytes than my body has room for and 400 babies that are faster than Kenyans!

• 1 year later...
  • SPY VIP

New Flavors Bump!!!

nuun3.jpg

Just got my hands on three new flavors of Nuun:

Lemonade

Watermelon

Cherry Limeade

Two big announcements:

1. Watermelon has edged past Strawberry Lemonade as my new favorite flavor. I have already dusted the tube. It's that tasty.
  2. The Cherry Limeade is caffeinated. Drop a tab into your water bottle and you have that little extra oomph for the course or gym.

Stay not-thirsty my friends...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I've tried both lemon lime and fruit punch.

I really like the fruit punch, which is very light tasting and not syrupy like the sports drinks.

The cherry limeade, is going to be the next flavor I try out.

Where can we get one of the towels?

hitting up the store today or tomorrow for some. I have a shop right near work so that is good news whether they have all flvavors is another but we'l see. as for course hydration it's just water now buit I walked two tough courses back to back a week or so ago after doing a light gym workout and my legs left me late inthe second round need to get past that

I usually stay hydrated with my favorite girl Stella.

Now for the big question though, and if nobody has an answer I may to have to test it for myself if we actually have a golf season here this year. How would these mix with your favorite cocktail? I'm thinking lemonade flavor Nuun + vodka + actual lemonade could lead to a refreshing hydrating adult beverage :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I ordered a competitive product a couple of months ago from Woot.com. Called Fast and Up. I generally split the tablets in half and drop half into a water bottle or glass. They're great for keeping properly hydrated. I used to haul a couple of G2 bottles with me to the course. This is much more convenient. Specs as follows:

“All In One” in Effervescent tablets:

With Branched Amino Acids BCAA from Natural Fermentation

Glutamine

Creatine

Taurine

Potassium

Magnesium

Vitamin B

Vitamin B Complex

No Fats No Lipids

No Caffeine, No Ginseng, No Guarana

No Aspartame No Artificial Sweeteners

Lactose Free

Gluten Free

Sugar Free

Given what I read a couple of days ago about the dangers of Creatine, I'm not too excited about the presence of that ingredient (its said to be the compound that makes red meat so bad for your cholesterol). But I don't eat a whole lot of red meat, so hopefully the little bit in this won't hurt me.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Brawndo is no match for

Seriously, though, this seems like a solid idea. I like that you can put the tabs in your bag and just have them there all the time.

Having been extremely ill with hypomatremia as a teenager, I've always carried a couple of bottles of "Mr G" in the bag and drink quite a bit of it during the summer (I like it, so I drink it year 'round). I really do like the idea of the tablets, as that's WAY more convenient and you don't really have to "pace yourself" to make sure your bottle lasts until the end of the round. Definitely a product I'll check out!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Purchased the strawbeery lemonade a bit salty at first but refreshing and easy to get the hang of the taste. Remember this you can stay hydrated by drinking when sweating but if you plan on sweating heavily while playing/exercising the next day its best you hydrate the day before. The electrolytes don't immediately seep in when on the course. I drank a bottle before bed saturday and walked the course sunday while drinking it on the course. although the weather wasn't great for sweating it was refreshing and I didn't feel much fatigue at all on the course..the next day I did but that might have been the 8-10 beers I had after the round :P

Mixing with your favorite beverage woulb be a good thing for offseting the alcohol dehydration but the lack of overbearing flavor would mean you would taste more of the alcohol. couldbe wortha go though if you like the taste of your favorite spirit

Archived