Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Competition vs. non competition play

fixyurdivot

Competitive Golf  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tend to play better or worse playing in a competition format?

• Better
    • Worse

Since joining the men's league and two other groups that play competition games, I'm finding that I simply do not play as well as opposed to just casual rounds. I have finished 1st in an individual low net game for my flight, and placed in the top 10 a couple of times in men's league team contests.  I haven't kept close track but gut says barely 50/50 on money in and pay outs on our Monday and Thursday team games. I'll go further to say that more often than not, I'm one of the team members not playing to my handicap/quota.  Looking at my play/score data, I'm averaging over 4 strokes better when just playing outside of a competition format. 

And, we play them where they lie (except local rules) and putt everything out.  Same for casual play except for a couple absolute, depth of a mallet head, tap in's.

Except for the trash games we played in Yuma (Wolf for dimes/hole, 2 bits for CTP's and birdies), I really never participated in very much competitive golf. Perhaps it will just take some time to forget about the competition part and stay focused on the execution part - dunno, sure hope so? 🤷‍♂️  

Does playing competitively affect your game (or did it when you first started)?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Great subject. Wish I could answer but have not really played competitively outside of a league and honestly….I wouldn’t say it was super competitive and at the time I wasn’t treating it as such (not that I wasn’t trying but I think then and now mindset of what competition golf is very different)

Goos luck hopefully you can get through what I would say is most likely a mental thing. 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I can’t just go beat a ball around the course. I play better when there’s something on the line or there’s a goal to achieve 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I couldn’t vote because you need a 3rd choice. 

Same

When I was playing lots of competitive golf I was the same guy always. I was a 1 if you met me for a fun round somewhere or if we were playing for money or some sort of championship - I was going to be between 70-75 every time I played. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I pretty much play the same in fun rounds or competitive rounds. Always try to play the best I can. But I do love the pressure. I seem to be able to step up when it counts. I will give the edge to competitive rounds but not by much.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

The only "competition" format I've ever played is the scramble.  I do seem to play better in that format versus a casual foursome, but mostly because the pressure is less.  I know on any given shot that only one of us needs to hit it well so I seem to swing freely.

My absolute best rounds have been solo rounds.  I don't have to worry about anything else but my own ball and the next shot.  I've got a theory that if I was solo and also had a caddy, I'd probably shoot low 60's at worst 😂.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Second round of competition is where I shine. First round is typically a disaster. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

If I  combine club competition with our men's  group, I tend to play better in those events then when I either go out alone or golf with my wife. In the former; competitive events, there's money on the line (and pride). Playing alone or golfing with my wife, I tend to experiment a bit with different clubs and shots. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

9 hours ago, JerryB said:

I've got a theory that if I was solo and also had a caddy, I'd probably shoot low 60's at worst 😂.

You should have said " A Good Caddy". My round with a caddy this past season cost me about 4 strokes. I had to stop listening to him. Sad to say it was my first round with a caddy and it left a bad impression with me.   

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Second round of competition is where I shine. First round is typically a disaster. 

I'm going to make a mental note of this and NOT go double-or-nothing on day 2 when I get to play with you! haha

I voted that I play better... but I have to caveat it.  I haven't played any real money on the line kind of golf and I never played competitively in school.  So I'll rephrase it a bit and say that I tend to play better when I'm in a competitive mindset.  It keeps my focus (particularly on the short game shots) which really helps my scoring.  When I'm just out to have fun I might still string some pars together, but if I loose focus its easy for the round to go south.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

All of my games (well, most) are competitive to some degree.  My regular games all are some form of competitive games, either team or individual scores.  The only ones that aren't are when I go out with my wife, who is a beginner golfer, and just practice.  With that in mind, when I play a club tournament, it's not much difference.  I don't feel any more or less pressure than I do for a regular game with the boys.  My answer:  The same

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I voted that I play better in non-competitive rounds. But as many above have said... that is pretty subjective.  I am in competition with myself every time I pick up a golf club...  But I believe OP is talking about organized tourneys and such - and in that sense, I'm usually a play a little more loose when I'm playing rounds with my normal group (which is still competitive... in some cases even moreso than an organized event... my buddies can be ruthless!!  haha).  

The other thing I consider is that the organized events are playing a different setup than I do on my day in/day out rounds.  Rough is longer, Greens are slicker, pins are tucked... so that definitely contributes.  

All that said... I can blow up a round when I'm alone on the course, just like I can when a starter announces my name at the first tee 😉 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

great topic, two totally different games, and two totally different approaches. I have played competitvely for 51 years and honestly could write a small book on the nuances I have experienced playing the two games, I will tell my latest story about a turning point in my competitive golf life, this is one story of many. 

In 2019 I qualified for a provincial senior team, the national championship holds a separate competition every year where 3 golfers compete for a championship, 2 of the best 3 scores count on the first 2 days of the national competition.

Anyway I went into this championship in what I thought was the best my golf game had ever been, I hired a swing coach in 2017 and we had been working hard and seeing results. So, off I go to the nationals and proceed to "s*** the bed". I am devastated, letting myself down, letting my team down, man I was so distraught. I had been kicking around hiring a sports psychologist to help me as well however the results I had been getting with my swing coach seemed to be working at least until that tournament.

Immediately when I returned and had a chance to critique my result I reached out and got a sports psychologist, we started working in 2020 (covid didnt give us much opportunity to test what we were working on under tournament conditions) however in 2022 I was able to have a full year of competitions with my new tools.

In summary casual games are totally different than competitive games in my golf world

committed to performance excellence

I have won club championships, I placed well in competitive amatuer events, I even won a couple of events with other Club pro's when I was an assistant, I have also completely embarrassed myself in all of those type of events. Competitive events definetly expose parts of your game that are not where they should be. And no matter what you will be faced with some adversity that just doesn't show up in normal rounds. If you are struggling in these types of events you have to determine what is causing it. For the majority of players I would say it is the mental aspect that gets exposed. However there are other things that factor in as well.  My normal group of guys I play with have zero chance in a competitive arena, gimmies, bad strategy and trying things they really are not capable of is normal for them. You can't just flip the switch when a torunament starts and expect a better or even the same result if you are not doing those things in normal rounds. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

5 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

You should have said " A Good Caddy". My round with a caddy this past season cost me about 4 strokes. I had to stop listening to him. Sad to say it was my first round with a caddy and it left a bad impression with me.   

My experience with a professional caddy (my wife caddies for me in provincial and national championships) was at Bandon Dunes and he figured out my game in about 3 swings and it was a great experience and saved me at least, I would say, 6 strokes

committed to performance excellence

16 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

My experience with a professional caddy (my wife caddies for me in provincial and national championships) was at Bandon Dunes and he figured out my game in about 3 swings and it was a great experience and saved me at least, I would say, 6 strokes

Luck of the draw, I guess. I was looking forward to the experience but in my case, it just didn't work out. 

2 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

I had an awesome caddy at Bandon. He quickly figured out my game and guided me to a nice round.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

How many of us often play in competitions or treat all normal (casual rounds) as comp rounds? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

How many of us often play in competitions or treat all normal (casual rounds) as comp rounds? 

I regularly play in moderately formal competitions, club tournaments, interclub matches, etc.  In most of my casual rounds I'm still competing in some way, a fourball match within my group, a singles match against my wife.  Its really rare that I play golf without some kind of competition involved.  And I do reasonably well in the proper competitions.  I certainly don't win everything, but I'd guess my scoring is pretty similar.  And that means I play like a dog sometimes in tournaments, just as I play really well at other times.  I do believ that "competing" in casual rounds helps me to play well in more formal competitions, just as playing by the Rules all the time helps me when I'm required to play by the Rules.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I play worse but I've gotten better because of the comprtition. 

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER       cobra WideSport 35" 
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

I don't play competitively anymore.  I used to play in the Men's gangsome.  When I did, I played worse than casual rounds, but it did make me better over time.  Although my scores eventually got a little better, my standings didn't because of corruption.  It seems that on the day of the gangsome, the course was set up to favor the longest hitters... eliminated half the field.  The same 4-5 guys always won.  However, I did move up from the bottom of the field to the middle of the pack; just didn't make sense to keep paying money to the same guys when I can play the same course and have more fun for "free".

Now my competition is against the course and trying to better my previous scores; less stress and I can only blame myself for "losing".  Analyze it, and work to improve next time.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have run a Saturday Points game for 22 years.  That said for past 6 years, weekday games had small games with them, Net handicap games. I tend to play well on Day 1 of a two day competition but usually not so good on Day 2. I think the pressure gets to me. I voted “worse”.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

19 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

I played in Scotland this summer - eight rounds in eight days, and had either a forecaddie (shared) or a personal caddie almost every round.  I did much better with the forecaddies - give me distances, course nuances, green reads and other info and let me figure out how to get it there.  The personal caddies at some great courses wanted me to just take extra club into the wind rather than trust my knockdown I'd worked on all spring and summer leading up to the trip.  One caddie gave me a few bad green reads, another was a wizard.  My best round was played at the Old Course with an off-duty caddie.  He and I played the tips while his two guests played up a few tees (I was a waiting line add-on).  He and I had similar length and so he just gave me the lines and said there's trouble on the right so keep it left, make sure you carry the front (bunker) because the green is plenty deep, etc.  I played my worst when caddies tried to club me or didn't help me understand the layout of the hole.

Depends on what your style is and what you like, but in the end trust your game and make your own decisions.

image.png.e1deea1c4c3f4b9896f9d14f81e7a4e7.png TS2 8.5 driver

image.png.93b75925490f7a0eb5b400f474d8df4e.png XR Fwy 4wd

image.png.7b10aa274daf923f1627ae25fa277109.png Hybrids 3i, 4i

image.png.ec21a99109a9b6ec7da534bb04e53057.png Irons 4-PW

image.png.b0e8ffea281016fe33e729f05a9a3865.pngWedges 52, 58

image.png.7288864ba335873cacc3836b6773c75d.png White Hot #5

image.png

It depends on the format and tees. I tend to play better in 4-ball, something about not wanting to let a partner down. At my home course this year I have been playing a weekly game from a tee forward - which is more in keeping with my distance; however it took me most of the year to adjust to different play lines to avoid hazards that are not reachable from further back.

When I was playing in a mens club or an organized group I would break 80 about every 4 rounds. Since I joined a golf course where I now play by myself 90 percent of the time now breaking 90 is a big deal. I start out planning to get 18 balls in 18 holes no mulligans no gimme but I end up playing 2 or 3 balls on each hole

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have somewhat withdrawn from competitive golf at my age (76).  More to do with my physical disabilities as I get older.  Just cannot play in those three tournaments any longer.  Loved to get the competitive juices flowing.  Use to play in about six tournaments every year and fairly competitive in tournaments.  Never good enough at Championship level, but won my share of flights.  Normally carried a 10-12 handicap, but we never play handicaps, strictly gross scores.  Even tried to qualify for mid-ams but never made it.  Never one to play much in captain's choice tournaments, but did play on one team years ago that play in one event every year that we normally one.  We shot pretty good scores normally shooting around 23 under (1996, 1998, 1999, 2000).  We were always the team to try to beat.  I now play in a Senior men's league three days a week.  We use a modified stapleford format and the league maintains our points.  Our points go up and down depending on how we play and the persons with the best plus score can win cash.  Small amounts, of course.  We are retirees.  Also play in our course's interclub team.  We play eleven other clubs in the tri-county area.  A different course each month, 144 players teeing it up normally on the first Monday.  Modified stapleford format and the secretary of the Charleston Interclub maintains the points we need to pull throughout the year.  Our team mostly has fun.  I placed in the top twenty twice this year, so nothing serious.  Some of the teams are serious and will do what every it takes to win the team trophy.  I have semi-resigned from playing in tournaments.  I had decided that I would only play the Joint Base Senior Invitational and due to my back I bowed out this year.  I love playing at the Air Force Base and it is easy for me to get on with my VAID.  Will see how is goes next fall after I visit with my neurosurgeon on January 5th.  Competitive golf can be fun and should be but play just playing golf for fun, that's what I'm talking about.  Hakuna matata.           

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

My competition experience is limited, but this past summer I played in a 2 man scramble league and found that I seemed to play better doing that vs. just going out and playing a casual round. I also find that I play better in casual rounds where there are side bets and games going on, like 3 putt poker, wolf, etc. I have never played in a men's league or similar, mostly because I've never established a true USGA handicap and I could not play at scratch and keep up with a good majority who do have handicaps. I am going to establish one this summer, though, as it is included in my club membership, and then participate in a few of the club event tournaments that are free to members. I am looking forward to that!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I find there are different games within the game; in increasing order of difficulty

1. On the range

2. On the course by myself

3. On the course in a group

4. Playing for money

5. Playing in a tournament that has very little meaning, such as Wednesday men's night

6. Playing in a tournament that has some importance. For me, that would be a club championship or some other invitational event.

Kevyn Nightingale