TESTERS WANTED! ×

Embarrassing hole in one?

HighFade

I just had this thought on the course. Please someone tell me I'm not alone.....

Coming up to a par 3 in brutal wind conditions, I club up about 2 or even 3 clubs. I can't help but thinking "please don't hit a hole in one! I don't want it in the paper that I aced a 130 yard hole with a 6 iron!"

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• SPY VIP

A couple of years ago one of my best friends got an ace at 190 yards with a 7-wood. The guy is in his mid-30s so I maintain it doesn't count since no man at that age should ever carry a 7-wood.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

A bad hole-in-one is like a bad piece of ....cake?...I better not say what I was thinking. There is no such thing as a bad hole-in-one. While playing the par 5 fifth hole, I hit the ball washer next to the 15th teebox, and it bounced in the air and landed 40 yards away on the correct green and rolled in the hole for a double eagle. Guess what? It still went down a 2 on the scorecard.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

These are great stories - but you guys are missing the point. Im talking about having it in the newspaper that I hit a 130 yarder with a 6 iron. Obviously, i wouldn't complain about an ace. Just the macho man in me wouldn't it advertised that I had to use anything more than a lob wedge from 190.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Oh I must have missed the rule that said that one had to hit a certain club to make a good score. I hit a 5 iron, waste high backswing to a par 3 that was 120 yards away Saturday to about 3 feet into a 30 mph wind. The other guys I was playing with.used a more macho club and missed the green. I made birdie and they made bogies. I also won $220 on Saturday. When the girl totalled the bar bill she did not ask what club I used to win the money.

Who cares what club you use? A few holes before it I was about 100 yards out and had that 30 mph wind behind me. After watching all of the other guys either come up short or get blown over the back i hit a bump and run with an 8 iron and ended up on the green, the only ball on the green out of 6 players.

It makes no difference what club you hit because you do not have to take a full swing.

I'd be proud of a hole in one if I used a driver from 150. That leads into a funny story; I almost hit a hole in one on a 160yd par 3.....with a putter. How macho would that have been. We were playing a round in early January a few years ago and the pond was still frozen. I hit a putter across the ice and it curled around the hole and finished about 15" directly behind it.

The only time I worry about an ace when our whole association is out at the course, because I know getting one then would put a serious dent in my wallet!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Last time I got a hole-in-one, nobody cared to ask what club did I use :lol:

So I don't think it matters.

Besides, you could always say you only did a half-swing or a chip B)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I just had this thought on the course. Please someone tell me I'm not alone.....

Coming up to a par 3 in brutal wind conditions, I club up about 2 or even 3 clubs. I can't help but thinking "please don't hit a hole in one! I don't want it in the paper that I aced a 130 yard hole with a 6 iron!"

That's funny. It reminds me of...well...every hole in one story I've EVER read on wrx. "The hole was 150 and I hit a half-knockdown-punch-choked down-baby 7I." Just say you hit a 7I 150 and it went in the hole! I hear you though, everyone wants their hole in one to be way downwind so it can be a 200 yard 6I.

A bad hole-in-one is like a bad piece of ....cake?...I better not say what I was thinking.

Reading this was an awesome way to start my day. Big smile on this guy's face. Nice one, RR.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I have said this before and will say it again... Golf is a game where your ego needs to be left in the parking lot...

It doesn't matter what you hit, there is no pictures on the scorecard. An ace is a big fat ONE on the scorecard that is it. You will always know what you hit, why you hit it, length of hole, etc. If it is your first one you'll never forget the details of the shot.

I kept the ball with my first ever Eagle (Still remember the hole as well), I plan to keep the first Ace and Double Eagle as well but after that it's just one more time of enjoying the moment.

My larger concern is that I am not with a bunch of people that will run up my bar tab when I have to buy them drinks because they witnessed the ace more then what others will think about it.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Nobody is going to remember what is printed in a tiny corner of the newspaper. But if you make a hole-in-one you'll remember it forever. And the group you played with will also likely remember the shot for a long time. I remember almost every hole-in-one I've seen and I've seen maybe 8 or 10. Nothing embarrassing about any of them. Just wish I could make one myself.

So no one has EVER had that thought creep into their head? I guess I am alone....

Come on, be honest.

Let's get a couple things straight:

1. I would be THRILLED to get a hole in one, no matter how it happened. Even a goofy shot that hit a water fountain and caromed 50 yards in the other direction. Hey, as long as it goes in, right?

2. I am very disciplined about club selection. You hit the club that will get you there. Just last week I hit a 3w into a par 3. All my playing partners tried to reach it with irons. I was the only one to reach the green...

3. I'm not saying I wish it wouldn't go in the hole - far from

It. But this small part of me was giggling inside, trying to picture the newspaper article the next day, saying I hit a 195yard par 3 with a 3w! Just something that made me chuckle a little inside....

That's what made me post the article. Just wondering if anyone else had that thought. I guess not.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

We usually play holes and quota, or wolf and quota and sometimes just quota. But almost always there is a quota side bet. $10 each with 0 points double bogey or higher, 1 point bogey, 2 for par, 3 for birdie, 4 eagle, 5 double eagle, and a hole in one is automatic winner. We have never had a winner that way but we decided that if you get a hole-in-one than you win. No stipulation on what club you have to hit to get the hole in one.

I will say that most people who read the paper, would not know the difference in the clubs nor really care about your hole in one.

The other day I hit a shot that looked prefect and I thought do not go in the hole, it did not, but the reason I did not want it to go in was there was no one else in sight on the course, Who wants to make a hole in one without a witness. In that case it is like a bad piece of... cake.

So no one has EVER had that thought creep into their head? I guess I am alone....

Come on, be honest.

1. I would be THRILLED to get a hole in one, no matter how it happened. Even a goofy shot that hit a water fountain and caromed 50 yards in the other direction. Hey, as long as it goes in, right?

2. I am very disciplined about club selection. You hit the club that will get you there. Just last week I hit a 3w into a par 3. All my playing partners tried to reach it with irons. I was the only one to reach the green...

It. But this small part of me was giggling inside, trying to picture the newspaper article the next day, saying I hit a 195yard par 3 with a 3w! Just something that made me chuckle a little inside....

That's what made me post the article. Just wondering if anyone else had that thought. I guess not.

I'm still trying for a hole in one. Plus everyone knows you have to go up a few clubs in a headwind. Think of it this way, Casey got a hole in one at Doral, no one talked about the club he used...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXQjYLwjBQU

Tonight starts our Wednesday Night, Beer Can Open. Every Wednesday night from now until Daylight Savings Time ends, you have to call or go by the club house before 5:15 and sign up. You have to be there by 5:45, pay your $15 and get assigned to a team. We try to divide the teams evenly. After the 9 hole scramble you get a meal in the club house. The team with the lowest score on 9 holes get to split the money left after paying for everyones meal. In the event of a tie we have a chip/pitch off. Last year I played 16 times and won 8 times.

Here is why this is relavant to this topic. Often there are 5 or 6 to a team. We are all trying to out drive every one else. And on almost every hole we are inside of 100 yards on the par 5's and 200 on the par 5's. I laugh to myself every time because all these macho guys are saying stuff like "175 yards is a baby 9 iron for me" and then they darn near lose a shoe swinging the 9 iron and does not even stay in the county. I will be honest 175 is a 5 iron for me with no wind. a rare occurance in Texas.

I win because I am often hitting knock down irons or bump and runs to the greens with what I call my extended short game. Most of these guys are swinging 110% every time. I rarely swing an iron more than 80% and never swing a wedge more than 80% unless I absolutely must go over a tree and cannot go around or under it.

So if I ever get a hole-in-one it will probably be with a knock down shot of some kind. I have only seen two holes-in-one, and neither of them were the picture perfect hit on the green and released. Both were worm burner that continued to roll until the found the cup. Both of them counted as a 1.

the more I think about it, I actually think having to hit an odd club in a weird situation like that would make the hole-in-one all the more of a big deal.

ie: you actually had to think through the hole and do something that differs from a "normal" or straight forward shot.

I'd say that gives you bigger bragging rights for the situation presented.

My only ace was with a 4 iron into a 164 yard hole..

My stock 4 iron yardage is 205....

I couldn't care less.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

You know, I have been thinking about this and a hole in one is a happy accident. BIrdies and eagles (par 5) are a demonstration of skill especially if you have several per round. But a hole-in-one is no more skillful than hitting a shot that leaves a short birdie putt. Yeah, you were trying to put it in the hole but unless you are doing a couple of times per round it is just luck anyway.

An ace is really nothing but a good shot that got lucky. The only time that I can think of that someone's intention was to hole a par 3 was this. He had the guy in front of him go pull the ball out of the hole after his ace before he hit his shot! Now if that is not a great shot telling someone to pull the ball out the cup before you hit because you were going to hole it out as well that is a great story there.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• SPY VIP

Come on, be honest.

I'm right there with you now. My two greatest fears around actually making an ace are:

1. The bar bill. My first year at my club I didn't opt for the hole in one insurance, so I was actually scared I might get one. This year we've switched to a mandatory pay-in system. Basically, any time a member gets one it costs me two bucks. At least now I don't have to worry about the bar bill anymore.
  2. Anything that could discount the value of the hole in one. You mentioned the wind scenario (6-iron from 130). I say my buddy's doesn't count (men under 40 don't carry 7-woods), and the most probable one for me..."with a 52 degree gap wedge". Obviously you hit the club for the distance (115 is right in my wheelhouse with a 52 degree), but if I could pick how it happens...give me that lovely tailwind. Give me mine at 190 with a 7-iron...maybe an 8.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Thank you Golfspy T!!!! You hit the nail on the head!!!!

If my name's gonna be in the paper, I'd like it say I hit the 190 yarder with an 8 iron!!!!!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

My high school position coach(linebacker) gave the definition of luck as "the intersection point of preparation & performance"....Another coach said that bad teams & underachieving players don't get lucky...Having played the game for 17 years I must say that those two statements usually were accurate...Golf?..Not so much..I've played the game for 43 yrs & my low hdcp was a +2 & I currently play to a 3.7...I've never had a hole in one...I've hit the pin three times on the fly & four on a bounce, though it never went in...I played in an invitational with a player who carried a 28 hdcp & his swing was one of the worst I've ever seen..simply horrible..He got an ace on the 4th hole & didn't seem that excited..I asked him if he understood the odds & he said that this was his third ace in the twelve years that he had played...THREE frickin aces....So yes, luck sometimes does smile on crappy players & I would agree that there is more skill involved in obtaining birdie's & eagles, though maybe I'm just venting out of jealousy...Fairway's & Greens 4ever....

Skill just increases your chance. It's kind of like winning the lottery, just because someone plays every day doesn't mean someone who plays once a year won't win. I have a friend who's played golf probably 3 times in his life and has a hole in one.

No scramble tonight, bad weather, had 3 or 4 inches of rain the last couple of days, half the course closed, storms still in the area, water everywhere, high winds, etc. So there were just a few of us out there,:rolleyes:

My 30+ handicap neighbor who already has one hole in one was there. He made 17 double bogies or worse, and on hole 4 par 3 he not only hit his only green in regulation, but it stoped 3 freaking inches from falling in the hole. I just stood there dumbfounded. He was absolutely wild off the tee and with his irons I know he lost 8 or 9 balls and )*()(** nearly got his second ace.:angry:

I am so thankful that I had teed off already and did not even have a club in my hand because he might have suffered blunt force trama if it would have gone in. I stood there thinking about this thread and was not very happy. Oh for the record, I shot maybe 80, we did not keep score because we were waiting for more people.

LOL I'm a bad player with an ace :lol:

Got it last year (my second year)

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

Stevenhw8, no disrespect intended...I'm just insanely jealous...Congrats!....Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

None taken! :lol:

But I can totally understand your frustration :)

My hole-in-one is a little embarassing too...

I aced a 165yd Par 3 in a 25mph headwind with my 6 iron...but only after I hit my 1st ball in the woods!

Driver: Ping G400 MAX with PING Alta CB 55 Stiff

Fairway: Callaway Epic 15* with Fujikura Speeder 565

Hybrid: RocketBallz 19* Hybrid with Stock Shaft

Irons: JDM Titleist VG3 irons w/ Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 Shafts 

Wedges: Ping Glide 50*/54*/58*

Putter: Scotty GoLo Pro with Midsize Matador Grip

Ball: Srixon Z Star

Shoes: Nike Air Zoom Accurate

Bag: Sun Mountain MPB

Thanks to HF for starting such a great thread. It's provided some good laughs...and I know exactly what you mean. No aces for me, but I did witness my brother-in-law hit a thin, squirrely, bouncing, rolling ugly little shot that got a whole lot prettier when it disappeared into the cup. High fives all around and I drank the free beer (lucky for him we were the only foursome on the course). Not once have we razzed him about the general nastiness of the shot, and I have no idea what club he used. If/when I do get an ace, I do hope it's a beautiful high, drawing iron onto a murderously well protected green (preferably an island green) that takes two hops and lands in the cup. Oh, and I hope someone is shooting video of it. My brother-in-law should also be in the foursome. :lol:

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Archived