Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TaylorMade 2012 Golf Balls - REVIEW

TaylorMade 2012 Golf Ball Review

DSC_0739.JPG

Introduction

When my father-in-law, who doesn't have cable, doesn't read magazines, and rarely finds his way into a golf store, asks me about a product, I know it has a lot of buzz. I knew that TaylorMade had turned up the hype machine to 11 when he recently asked me, “So, what do you know about those TaylorMade Rocketballz?”

For 2012, TaylorMade has released an entirely new golf ball line up. The lineup includes

· Penta TP5 – a 5 piece tour ball that replaces the original Penta

· Penta TP3 – a 3 piece ball with a urethane cover

· Rocketballz – the distance ball

In this review, I'll tell you exactly what I know about those Rocketballz. I'll also break down the performance of each ball and let you know which ball will be the best fit for your game.

DSC_0743.JPG

Feel

One of the things that really separated the original Penta from other tour balls was its feel: I have yet to found a ball that felt as soft. Now I've found two: the new Penta TP3 and TP5. The TP5 is definitely softer than the TP3, but, in my opinion, you have to be really focusing on feel to notice the difference. I believe that if someone slipped a TP3 in my box of TP5's while I was on the course, I probably wouldn't know the difference. That said, if you want the softest of the soft, the TP5 is for you.

The Rocketballz is…well…it's a distance ball. I probably have a harsher view of it simply because I was comparing it side by side with the two Pentas, but it is definitely a firm, click-y feel.

DSC_0750.JPG

Durability

All three TaylorMade balls get very high marks for durability. For all the testing (which includes a lot of shots, including plenty of wedges), I only used one sleeve of each ball. Even after the testing, the balls used are pretty much unmarked, and I will definitely use them to play.

DSC_0754.JPG

Data

For the Data section, I tested each ball on a launch monitor. With each club, I hit until I had 10 “good” hits with each ball. The 10 good shots were averaged and the results for each ball were compared. Across the three balls, launch angle and ball speed were found to be quite consistent, so the focus of this section will be spin. As ever, I don't suggest that my findings are definitive, but simply a starting point for you to figure out which ball might be best for your game.

Driver Performance

As you would expect, the Rocketballz was the lowest spinning ball off of the driver. For me, it spun about 300 RPMs less than the TP5. Of the three balls, the TP3 was the highest spinning off the driver, but only by about 300 RPMs compared to the TP5. One thing to note is that I am quite low-spin with my driver, so players who generate more spin might see more discrepancy between balls.

4I Performance

Much like the driver, the spin rankings with the 4I was Rocketballz, TP5, and TP3 (from lowest spin to highest). The difference with the 4I was actually even smaller than the driver, with only about 400 RPMs separating the Rocketballz from the TP3.

7I Performance

The biggest surprise of the whole test was with the 7I: all three balls produced numbers that were virtually identical with regard to spin, launch angle, and ballspeed. While I was surprised at first (and actually went back to confirm the results), it made sense to me after I thought about it: regardless of what ball I've ever played, I've never had a problem getting a 7I to stop on a green. This testing seemed to show me that most balls tend to perform similarly in the middle of the set, but reveal distinct characteristics with the long and short clubs.

PW Performance

When I got to the pitching wedge, each ball started to reveal a unique character again. As expected, the Rocketballz was the lowest spinning: roughly 1,500 RPMs less than either of the Pentas. Between the TP3 and TP5 there was a small, though measurable difference: the TP3 had about 250 RPMs more backspin than the TP5.

60* Performance – Half Swing

With a half swing 60* wedge (a 60 yard shot), the Penta TP5 had the most spin. The TP3 spun well, but about 650 RPMs less than the TP5. The Rocketballz lagged considerably with 3000 RPMs less than the TP5 (roughly half the spin).

Data Summary

Overall, none of the numbers were particularly surprising: the Rocketballz will be the longest for most people (due to lower spin), but it lags in short game spin. The TP5 and TP3 are remarkably similar. TaylorMade indicates as much with the graphics on the back of each box: essentially they claim that they are identical save for more spin in the irons with the TP3.

DSC_0755.JPG

On the Course

The first TaylorMade ball that I took out to play is the Penta TP5. So far, I don't think there's a single thing I don't like about this ball. It's at least as long as the “old” Penta, while retaining all the short game spin and soft feel.

I've also had a chance to play a round with the Penta TP3, and, in all honesty, I'd have a hard time telling the difference between it and the TP5. I'd like to say that I could, but I'm not a machine: any performance differences I saw were more likely attributable to me than the ball.

I have yet to take the Rocketballz on the course, but, in all honesty, it's not really the type of ball that I would use during a “serious” round of golf. If I can't rely on a ball to check with a half wedge shot, I won't play it. Also, given that I don't spin my driver (or any other clubs) very much, there's not a distance boost for me.

Value

The TaylorMade Rocketballz, Penta TP3, and Penta TP5 are price at $27, $35, and $46, respectively. I'm a little surprised by the price of the Rocketballz: to my mind, it's a basic distance ball that shouldn't be more than $20. The Penta TP5 is a first-tier tour ball and it's priced as such. While I wouldn't say it's a huge value, it's priced appropriately. The Penta TP3, in my opinion, is the best value of the group because you get more than you pay for. As I said above, the TP3 is almost indistinguishable from the TP5, yet it costs $11 less.

Player Profile

The Rocketballz is likely the best fit for the weekend golfer. It's going to be long, and it's not terribly expensive. It doesn't give great spin around the green, but there are plenty of golfers who don't/can't use spin around the greens anyway.

The Penta TP3 and TP5 are both going to be a great fit for better or more avid players. It will really come down to a preference for feel and how much a player wants/needs a little more greenside spin and a little less driver spin.

Final Thoughts

I think that TaylorMade did a great job with this 2012 ball line up. When you factor in the Burner ball (not reviewed here), they've covered every price point and every player. While all the balls will fit someone, there's little question in my mind that the Penta TP3 is the star of the show. At $35, it raises the bar for what a golfer can expect from a ball that doesn't cost more than your green fees.

VISIT WEBSITE: [/url]www.taylormadegolf.com

FOLLOW ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/#!/TaylorMadeGolf

FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/TaylorMadeGolf

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I scored 2 dozen TP5's a few weeks ago on eBay for $66 shipped. Liked the deal so much I bought 2 more dozen from the same seller a day later. Good balls, not the original Penta but fit my game better than the other two.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I scored 2 dozen TP5's a few weeks ago on eBay for $66 shipped. Liked the deal so much I bought 2 more dozen from the same seller a day later. Good balls, not the original Penta but fit my game better than the other two.

You say not the original Penta, how so. I got three dozen old Pentas today. First time I really played them. I found one a few weeks ago and loved the durability. Today, I did a ball comparison, Pro V1, Penta, Bridgestone B330 RXS, Nike 20XI X and Callaway Tour I(S) I made notes and plan on doing it again tomorrow afternoon and posting the results. I was all set to do so this evening when all of a sudden on the last two hole the stupid Bridgestones went from 40 yards behind everything every time to 20 yards ahead. 5 drives averaging 213 yards and 2 drives of 261 and 262. Screwed up the numbers so I have to continue on to see what is up. I may wait because I have some Callaway Hex Blacks coming. Also the new Callaway Razr Fit and Tour AD DI may affect things because of spin.

These older Pentas were $57 for 36 delivered. I bought all they had.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

They feel a touch firmer than the original Pentas to me. I loved the originals, these are great too, but they feel slightly different. Nothing I can live with or get used to at all.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone speak to how the TP3 compares to the Callaway HEX Chrome? Matt and T, I think you've both played them, any thoughts?

I was picking up some tees at Walmart last night and noticed they have the TP3 for $27.96. I've been gaming the Chrome, but if I can get similar performance for about $10 less, then I'll make the switch.

Can anyone speak to how the TP3 compares to the Callaway HEX Chrome? Matt and T, I think you've both played them, any thoughts?

I was picking up some tees at Walmart last night and noticed they have the TP3 for $27.96. I've been gaming the Chrome, but if I can get similar performance for about $10 less, then I'll make the switch.

Personally, I like the TP3 better. The biggest thing I recall from the testing was that the Chrome gave me slightly poorer ball speed and I like the feel of the Pentas better.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I really like the Chrome, but it is visibly shorter than a ProV, somewhere along the lines of a Bridestone RX. What I lose in distance off the driver though, I gain in iron distance, so its still pretty even all around. I'm going to give these a go at $9 cheaper than the Chromes. Thanks for the response.

I really like the TP3 - I found the Chrome closer to the Nike Vapor - not a winner for me - the TP3 on the other hand performs like its billed like a tour ball.

If nothing happens with Nike balls (if they don't bring back the Tour One D) then I'll be switching the TP3 for next season. I haven't tried the TP5 yet but it would have to be something to offset $10 a dozen.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived