Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

SuperSpeed "Squeeze" GRIP trainer - hand strength and swing speed

Yep from the same people who made "overspeed training protocols" a thing comes a .. yes: grip .. trainer they claim can not only increase your hand strength but also your swing speed. My grip on the golf club could always be better, right?, but really the past few years the old fingers are starting to get a little stiff and creaky ... where I'm now considering going to something like JumboMax grips or maybe a softer compound mid-size grip.

Spoiler: have not (yet?) purchased a "Squeeze" but DIY'ed a mock-up to see how it feels.

First read about this in a PluggedInGolf review...
https://pluggedingolf.com/superspeed-squeeze-review/
..and my curiosity was piqued!

Here is the product page...
https://superspeedgolf.com/products/superspeed-squeeze

And here are two articles from the SuperSpeed blog:

"Grip Strength Correlations to Speed"
https://superspeedgolf.com/blogs/news/grip-strength-correlations-to-speed

..which contains this interesting chart:
SuperSpeed_Squeeze_datachart.png.d008fb2d87e4c8ef5dda053a008c2a67.png

..and "Grip Strength Pilot Study" (by a professor of biomechanics)

And here's what it looks like (from their product page)...
SuperSpeed_Squeeze.jpg.3d471ea556be292f36decfb7ce7dd0f2.jpg

OK, so - between the arthritis and old injuries I'm not even sure if I'm at the average amateur numbers...! And since this thing essentially looks like a thick overwrap, I'm thinking I have some foam pipe wrap in the garage I can use to test out. As it turns out, the pipe wrap I thought I had has all been used in other places, but .. there are pieces of foam pool noodles around (make excellent ding protection when stacking surfboards on top of each other) .. so let's give that a go...

Here's my tester:
SuperSpeed_Squeeze_CKversion.jpg.ce081722ead839e8de4222bcc8e4db98.jpg

It _appears_ to be a bit thicker vs the actual SuperSpeed product, and I'm sure it's a different firmness/consistency, but I've stuck it onto an old Gold Flex trainer -- similar to an orange Whip but not counterbalanced so the head feels heavier; ie. me being a guy so therefore why not go all in on the first shot? 😉 

First few swings and it's obvious that it's more difficult to grip the club .. which leads to using more grip strength to keep a secure hold while it's moving .. which leads to..??

..will update this thread after a while and let everyone know how it goes...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Yep from the same people who made "overspeed training protocols" a thing comes a .. yes: grip .. trainer they claim can not only increase your hand strength but also your swing speed. My grip on the golf club could always be better, right?, but really the past few years the old fingers are starting to get a little stiff and creaky ... where I'm now considering going to something like JumboMax grips or maybe a softer compound mid-size grip.

Spoiler: have not (yet?) purchased a "Squeeze" but DIY'ed a mock-up to see how it feels.

First read about this in a PluggedInGolf review...
https://pluggedingolf.com/superspeed-squeeze-review/
..and my curiosity was piqued!

Here is the product page...
https://superspeedgolf.com/products/superspeed-squeeze

And here are two articles from the SuperSpeed blog:

"Grip Strength Correlations to Speed"

..which contains this interesting chart:
SuperSpeed_Squeeze_datachart.png.d008fb2d87e4c8ef5dda053a008c2a67.png

..and "Grip Strength Pilot Study" (by a professor of biomechanics)

And here's what it looks like (from their product page)...
SuperSpeed_Squeeze.jpg.3d471ea556be292f36decfb7ce7dd0f2.jpg

OK, so - between the arthritis and old injuries I'm not even sure if I'm at the average amateur numbers...! And since this thing essentially looks like a thick overwrap, I'm thinking I have some foam pipe wrap in the garage I can use to test out. As it turns out, the pipe wrap I thought I had has all been used in other places, but .. there are pieces of foam pool noodles around (make excellent ding protection when stacking surfboards on top of each other) .. so let's give that a go...

Here's my tester:
SuperSpeed_Squeeze_CKversion.jpg.ce081722ead839e8de4222bcc8e4db98.jpg

It _appears_ to be a bit thicker vs the actual SuperSpeed product, and I'm sure it's a different firmness/consistency, but I've stuck it onto an old Gold Flex trainer -- similar to an orange Whip but not counterbalanced so the head feels heavier; ie. me being a guy so therefore why not go all in on the first shot? 😉 

First few swings and it's obvious that it's more difficult to grip the club .. which leads to using more grip strength to keep a secure hold while it's moving .. which leads to..??

..will update this thread after a while and let everyone know how it goes...

It's an interesting concept and I really like the DIY project you came up with to see if it helps increase your speed. I'll be interested to see what your thoughts are on it. 

On 12/31/2022 at 2:44 PM, sirchunksalot said:

... see if it helps increase your speed. I'll be interested to see what your thoughts are on it. 

Actually... I believe I've been making some speed gains by improving my swing technique (ie. good old fashioned lessons and practice 😉)!

But my primary goal with this device is try to improve my grip on the club - and if that leads to a little more swing speed then heck yeah I'll take it!

... and really if it may lead to a more, let's call it, stable grip on the club throughout the whole swing which in turn may lead to a more stable clubface at impact then I'll be happy with that and call the test a success!

Problem, though, is how to measure? I don't have numbers for my grip strength nor swing speed now, so I guess it'll be subjective eg. Do I see a noticeable difference that I can attribute to better grip strength..?? TBD 

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

22 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Actually... I believe I've been making some speed gains by improving my swing technique (ie. good old fashioned lessons and practice 😉)!

But my primary goal with this device is try to improve my grip on the club - and if that leads to a little more swing speed then heck yeah I'll take it!

... and really if it may lead to a more, let's call it, stable grip on the club throughout the whole swing which in turn may lead to a more stable clubface at impact then I'll be happy with that and call the test a success!

Problem, though, is how to measure? I don't have numbers for my grip strength nor swing speed now, so I guess it'll be subjective eg. Do I see a noticeable difference that I can attribute to better grip strength..?? TBD 

I think technique and sequencing go a long way in increasing swing speed. I believe that's one of the things programs like SuperSpeed helps you with. I also believe lessons help, too.

You've got me contemplating buying some foam pipe insulation to work on grip strength. I took a rudimentary measurement off the photo you posted and found the increase in the SuperSpeed trainer is about the same thickness as the grip. In other words of the grip is 1 inch in diameter, then I think 1/2 inch pipe insulation would be about right. 

8 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

You've got me contemplating buying some foam pipe insulation to work on grip strength.

Considering the original is $50 why not do a DIY?! 

The pool noodle I used is approx 2½" OD and ⅞" ID .. a little thicker vs std pipe wrap .. plus the foam seems slightly thicker/firmer density to me. FYI 

20230102_192110.jpg.5086efa261f64584ba06f746690e4866.jpg

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg