Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2023 Callaway PARADYM Driver Launch

GolfSpy_APH
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Maybe I’m just in a grouchy mood but I really fail to see the point in clicking on a thread about new equipment just to complain about price, marketing, or the inevitable last years is just as good and cheaper comments.  
Glass is half empty I guess🤷🏻‍♂️

As far as the Paradym goes, I will 💯 hit it if given the chance and could own one as well cuz that’s what I do lol.  If it looks closer to black at address than blue even better. Callaway is one of the last OEMs still offering a deep faced driver with the 💎💎💎

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

What I don’t get is all the people getting worked up telling people not to upgrade over last year, it’s a waste of money for 3 yards.  To only buy if your driver is 5 years old or more.   Both are legit comments 

But guess what….there are readers here who fit that category that have 5-10 year old drivers. I know many of them personally.
So they want to know.  So what’s the big deal about companies putting out new product and heaven forbid actually promoting it.   

Take the larger view of things people, not the easy pot shots  

Beat me to it

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

7 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

What I don’t get is all the people getting worked up telling people not to upgrade over last year, it’s a waste of money for 3 yards.  To only buy if your driver is 5 years old or more.   Both are legit comments 

But guess what….there are readers here who fit that category that have 5-10 year old drivers. I know many of them personally.
So they want to know.  So what’s the big deal about companies putting out new product and heaven forbid actually promoting it.

... Amen! I try my best not to complain about people complaining but ignorance can get very frustrating. It just seems some people aren't happy unless they are unhappy. 🙄

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

6 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Maybe I’m just in a grouchy mood ... Glass is half empty I guess

... Glass half empty I can live with. It is those asking who stole the other half of their water I have a hard time understanding. 😉

(this is the first sunny and warm day in a couple weeks and I have been doing club work and chores all day so I am a little grouchy too) 

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This. If someone wants to upgrade their driver every year, who honestly cares? If that’s what you like to do and have the money to do so, go for it! I’m personally not one of those people that upgrades every year, but I’m not gonna get worked up about it haha

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

On 1/7/2023 at 7:52 PM, chisag said:

... Amen! I try my best not to complain about people complaining but ignorance can get very frustrating. It just seems some people aren't happy unless they are unhappy. 🙄

I hear you. I’ve seen you post here and other places that exact thing.   And good point.  I try not to complain about complainers 😬

But sometimes it needs to be said. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 1/6/2023 at 12:54 PM, Duxman130 said:

How many yards will the average golfer gain going from a Callaway Epic to a Callaway PARDYM? Maybe 0.5?

You want more distance and hit more fairways? Too many golfers think a new driver is the elixir that will deliver.  "Forged Carbon" - wow.

Go out and buy a previous year model driver for $300 and spend another $300 on lessons.  Then stretch a lot, get a good fitness routine, and practice.

The big golf manufacturers want to sell clubs. They've got way too many people fooled into thinking it's equipment. 

So why haven't you got fitted? Guess you just like the marketing enough to buy right off the shelf?!?!?

Depending on models of epic to paradym, you can now have moveable weighting that may not have had before. Higher MOI, and some increase in swing speed. I agree that at the top end of players there may be fractional improvements but that is the industries environment. Every OEM is clawing for that little bit.

You can't throw a blanket over every golfer and throw shade on their decision to purchase new equipment. The gap between Epic and Paradym is a fair window of time between releases to start looking at what new equipment offers. You may find significant improvements over your current Epic.

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

On 1/8/2023 at 12:20 AM, Jnoble89 said:

This. If someone wants to upgrade their driver every year, who honestly cares? If that’s what you like to do and have the money to do so, go for it! I’m personally not one of those people that upgrades every year, but I’m not gonna get worked up about it haha

I am one of those golfers/equipment nerds who can go either way (no, not in “that” regard). Sometimes, I will stick with a driver for 3 to 5 years, but it’s more likely that I am going to make at least one driver change over the course of a golfing year. My current driver is a “Frankenstein” Titleist TSi1 model (modified with more weight low and in the back, so that I can play it at 45” long or slightly shorter). I finally got it really “dialed in” for me with a Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6R shaft that I tipped 1/2” and installed at just under 45” long. With the Sure Fit adapter set to the D1 setting (minus 3/4* in loft, standard lie angle), it is working really well for me now, and I am hitting a lot more fairways than usual with a slight fade.

Because of the results that I am getting with this Titleist driver, which I have sometimes been using in a rotation with one or two different drivers—especially while I was getting the Titleist dialed-in, I am not so tempted to try the “latest and greatest” driver. I have owned the TSi1 for about 15-16 months, and it took me  more than half of that time to get it dialed in to my liking.  An extra 3 to 5 yards with a loss in accuracy and fairways hit would not be worth it for me to make the change.

Of course, club ho that I am, I could always succumb to the temptation and go with a new driver at some point in 2023!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

2 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Of course, club ho that I am, I could always succumb to the temptation and go with a new driver at some point in 2023!

... For the equipment deniers, I imagine you have customers that gain accuracy and distance when on paper they shouldn't. Whether it is you tuning in club heads or shafts some just really come to life for no obvious reason right? I have found a club that just worked really well for me and perhaps gave me more confidence that lead to better swings. While the exception, just because a driver or any club technically shouldn't be much different than what you are playing can surprise you. 

Kinda wondering what will have more comments. Paradym or the new Taylormade Driver? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... For the equipment deniers, I imagine you have customers that gain accuracy and distance when on paper they shouldn't. Whether it is you tuning in club heads or shafts some just really come to life for no obvious reason right? I have found a club that just worked really well for me and perhaps gave me more confidence that lead to better swings. While the exception, just because a driver or any club technically shouldn't be much different than what you are playing can surprise you. 

Indeed I do have fittings where the equipment that works best for my customer is not the equipment that I expected to give them the best results, although I generally have a very good educated guess after the first few attempts. With my experience doing hundreds (probably more than a thousand) clubfitting sessions over the past 30+ years, I have developed a pretty good feel for what equipment is going to work well for a golfer, but there are always surprises.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Kinda wondering what will have more comments. Paradym or the new Taylormade Driver? 

Good question, my frirst instinct is to say the Paradym, becauase it's an entirely new model and not a refresh.   But TM probably generates more love/hate type commnets than any brand. 

• Golfspy_CG2 changed the title to 2023 Callaway PARADYM Driver Launch
3 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Indeed I do have fittings where the equipment that works best for my customer is not the equipment that I expected to give them the best results, although I generally have a very good educated guess after the first few attempts. With my experience doing hundreds (probably more than a thousand) clubfitting sessions over the past 30+ years, I have developed a pretty good feel for what equipment is going to work well for a golfer, but there are always surprises.

... Thanks, good stuff Doug. But I was more asking along the lines of say someone was playing the SIM and started hitting the Sim2. There really shouldn't be much difference if any for most players. But every now and then, doesn't someone just hit a club really well and it is an improvement for them even though on paper, it shouldn't be? Again it is the exception but it has surprised me at the show on demo day but I imagine it happens every now and then with a professional fitter too. 

13 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Good question, my frirst instinct is to say the Paradym, becauase it's an entirely new model and not a refresh.   But TM probably generates more love/hate type commnets than any brand. 

... I was gonna say something similar. While MGS has more educated and open minded members than most other golf forums, TM still garners their share of negative comments (which I will never understand). So I expect them to be similar with Paradym getting more positive comments but their fair share of negatives too. 

44 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Thanks, good stuff Doug. But I was more asking along the lines of say someone was playing the SIM and started hitting the Sim2. There really shouldn't be much difference if any for most players. But every now and then, doesn't someone just hit a club really well and it is an improvement for them even though on paper, it shouldn't be? Again it is the exception but it has surprised me at the show on demo day but I imagine it happens every now and then with a professional fitter too. 

Well, I have only seen two instances where golfers were even considering going from a SIM driver to a SIM2. Neither of these golfers switched to the SIM2 because they didn’t get any appreciable improvement in performance.

I owned a SIM driver when it first came out, but I sold it to one of my golfing partners because I just didn’t like it. I have hit a few different flavors of the SIM2 driver (never owned one of them), but they didn’t perform any better for me than the original SIM.

Spoiler

Just now, funkyjudge said:

Well, I have only seen two instances where golfers were even considering going from a SIM driver to a SIM2. Neither of these golfers switched to the SIM2 because they didn’t get any appreciable improvement in performance.

I owned a SIM driver when it first came out, but I sold it to one of my golfing partners because I just didn’t like it. I have hit a few different flavors of the SIM2 driver (never owned one of them), but they didn’t perform any better for me than the original SIM.

As someone who likes to tee the ball lower SIM was a great fit in demo. Just Timing and moving meant i never owned one.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

... I only used the Sim as an example of similar drivers "along the lines of say" so wasn't asking about SIMs at all. Same scenario as the TSi and TSr. I have found an increase in performance with similar drivers when on paper they should have been virtually identical. So a look, a feel, a sound or maybe a slight difference in spin or trajectory or myriad of other reasons a driver may surprise someone and perform better. Again, I have found it the exception and maybe even the rare exception, but once in a blue moon it happens. My point being, you don't know unless you try. I imagine @cnosil has experienced this as he gets to hit everything. 

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... I only used the Sim as an example of similar drivers "along the lines of say" so wasn't asking about SIMs at all. Same scenario as the TSi and TSr. I have found an increase in performance with similar drivers when on paper they should have been virtually identical. So a look, a feel, a sound or maybe a slight difference in spin or trajectory or myriad of other reasons a driver may surprise someone and perform better. Again, I have found it the exception and maybe even the rare exception, but once in a blue moon it happens. My point being, you don't know unless you try. I imagine @cnosil has experienced this as he gets to hit everything. 

I realize that you only used the SIM as an example, and were not specifically making a comment relating exclusively to the SIM driver. 

I usually don’t see many surprising or shocking results in a fitting when it comes to two or more club models that are similar in design and expected performance. Sure, there are a few instances where the differences in performance between two seemingly very similar models are a bit greater than one would expect, but not a lot of them. What I tend to see more often is a club or set of clubs (irons) that work really well for a golfer after being told, “oh no, that club (or those clubs) will never work for me”.

Spoiler

If this has been shared my apologies, but a good watch from one of the worlds best. Also he may have the best line right to start. He only and very simply only asks for 3 things haha

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

And another one!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Watched both those.  I enjoyed Xanders a lot as he explained his process and what he’s looking for in a driver and a particular shot.  Seemed like he found one he liked. 

Really cool videos. From all the reviews I have seen so far, it looks like Callaway may be driver of the year.  

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

10 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Really cool videos. From all the reviews I have seen so far, it looks like Callaway may be driver of the year.  

Certainly has the most hype or buzz around it compared to any other that came out this year. Last year was for sure TM and the carbon face and now Callawy with carbon body. 

I am looking forward to seeing these in person. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Certainly has the most hype or buzz around it compared to any other that came out this year. Last year was for sure TM and the carbon face and now Callawy with carbon body. 

I am looking forward to seeing these in person. 

I’m super happy with my G430 lst but gotta be honest, the deeeep face of the Paradym 💎💎💎 has me slightly intrigued lol. Plus getting an 8* and the green dot -2* adapter to get to 5.5* is so enticing.  

Nope nope nope I’m happy gosh darn it. Get out of my head Paradym!

39 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

but gotta be honest, the ________ face of the ___________ has me slightly intrigued.

... LOL, what club or shaft doesn't have you slightly intrigued? 🤪

13 minutes ago, chisag said:

... LOL, what club or shaft doesn't have you slightly intrigued? 🤪

Ummmm I got nothing

9 minutes ago, Cam.36 said:

can anyone confirm if the Vents TR Blue 60g is a stock option in Europe/UK? its on their website but seems too good a shaft to be stock?

From my understanding in reading on multiple places on the interwebz, yes the Ventus TR is stock only in the Blue.   Doesn't seem to make sense to me but seems to have been confirmed by multiple people. 

15 minutes ago, Cam.36 said:

can anyone confirm if the Vents TR Blue 60g is a stock option in Europe/UK? its on their website but seems too good a shaft to be stock?

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

From my understanding in reading on multiple places on the interwebz, yes the Ventus TR is stock only in the Blue.   Doesn't seem to make sense to me but seems to have been confirmed by multiple people. 

Actually let me backtrack on this. 

I don't know why I didn't think of this ealier.  But I just went to our Callaway Dealer website and went under stock option and the Ventus Blue actually is a $200 cost upgrade.    

So I don't know where others saw that info, but it doesn't appear to be a no charge upgrade. 

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Actually let me backtrack on this. 

I don't know why I didn't think of this ealier.  But I just went to our Callaway Dealer website and went under stock option and the Ventus Blue actually is a $200 cost upgrade.    

So I don't know where others saw that info, but it doesn't appear to be a no charge upgrade. 

It appears as a stock option for the triple Diamond but is a $250 cost for the TR Blue 6 on callaways website when preordering. 

6 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

It appears as a stock option for the triple Diamond but is a $250 cost for the TR Blue 6 on callaways website when preordering. 

Ah. I didn’t look at the TD head. I’ll do they tomorrow 

I guess I just inadvertently gave you all some info for negotiating a price with your shop when you go to buy 🫣