2023 Official Member Review: Cobalt Q-6 Range Finder

Introduction

First of all, honored/amped to be selected and congratulations to the other testers! I am in my late 30s and have been playing almost 10 years. I started taking lessons a two years ago and that got me deep into golf, led me to join this forum and become completely obsessed. In the past year my handicap has moved back and forth between a 4 and a 6 and I currently sit in the mid 5s. I have recently turned my driving from a weakness to a strength (thanks Otto-phlex and Monte's "No Turn Cast") but still struggle putting. I favor golf courses on the shorter side which, I think, gives me more "options" off the tee (and boosts my ego) and allows for more on-course strategy. I play 18 holes 1-2x a week and got 65 rounds in 2022 while having two kids under 4 years old (shoutout to my wife!).

I play most of my golf in Nashville and I use a rangefinder FREQUENTLY on the course. In an effort to be on my phone less (or not at all) I dispensed with the GPS yardages app I had and I use my rangefinder to shoot flags, hazards and really anything of note (I prefer to have all the information). This is especially important on courses I haven't played before. I have a fairly "budget" rangefinder at present that I usually have to shoot something about 4-5 times and then throw out any crazy numbers and take some sort of average. Also, it is useless in any small amount of fog. So deciding to focus entirely on a subpar rangefinder may have been a bad choice but also a great opportunity for the Cobalt! For me, the most important attributes of a rangefinder are:

1) Accuracy - I think this goes without saying. As accurate as possible is great but I also won't quibble with +/- 1 yd from 150 yds+, no way am I good enough to care about that.
2) Speed - How fast does it lock onto a target?
3) Ease of Use - Is the display clear and uncluttered? Will it be able to overcome shaky hands? Will it pick up the flag/bunker edge/OB stake? How far can it reach?
4) Value - I think this is important to readers, you could make a perfect rangefinder and sell it for $1,000 but most people I know are looking at what are they getting for their money
5) Looks/Build - Performance is way more important but how does the rangefinder look? What case does it come in? Does it fit on my bag easily etc. 
6) Other Features - Are there other features that I don't even know I was missing that I will find here? It looks like it has magnification which I don't currently have but seems like it would be VERY necessary for hazards and bunker lips along with flags. 

Harbour Town.jpg

Scottsdale.jpg

Edited by vandyland
  • Like 7

Cobra Radspeed XB 10.5* with Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45g "A" Flex shaft (Otto-phlex) - Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Hybrid -  New Level Gi22 5-7 iron - PTxPro 7-PW - Ping Eye2 BeCu Gap Wedge - Ping Glide 4.0 LW - LAB Golf DF 2.1 Putter

Titleist White Box 2023 Prototype Golf balls review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/53743-member-test-titleist-pro-v1pro-v1x-white-box/?do=findComment&comment=870550

IMG_0847.JPG.bafb807c4463d512ea858a151de8a6a3.JPG

Hey everyone, Tom the Golf Nut here ready to participate in a great test.

I am pretty much a self-taught golfer and have been playing for over thirty years. I took some group lessons when I first started playing. After that I just figured things out myself with some help from golf magazines and videos. My biggest improvements in my game came from installing my simulator in conjunction with a MEVO several years ago. I got to see my swing path and ball flight info. I do get to play a decent amount of golf. Once or twice a week at my club, playing with customers, as well as golf outings for charities. I am able to play year-round.

My handicap is currently at 0.6

Swing tempo is smooth with an average driver swing speed just under 100 mph.

I played in Northeast Tennessee at the base of the Smoky Mountains until my recent move to North Carolina. Courses are generally very different here than my hilly and mountainous courses in TN. Here it is flatter but requires more placement shots. Lots of dog legs and waste areas to avoid. 

My average ball flight is straight with a middle flight trajectory.  

My strengths are driving the ball in the fairway, chipping, pitching and putting.

I have been playing Sub 70 699 Pro irons and a Titleist TSI 1 Driver.

So, what do I want to accomplish during this testing? Well, the claims are that it should be a very good Laser Rangefinder. I decided to test the model with the slope feature.

1)       Is this unit accurate? I can test against a TEC TEC TEC unit and a Bushnell Pro 500 to check accuracy and speed on picking up the pin. The two older units I have would not always pick up the pin but rather shoot past and pick up a tree or some other target. So, I always relied on my own visual distance estimate to confirm.

2)      How does this fit in my hand and are the controls right where they need to be based on my normal hand and finger location on the unit.

3)    How is the display? Easy to read? Bright enough? Will it hold up over time?

4)    The unit is supposed to lock on the pin then vibrate and give audible feedback to confirm it is locked on. I haven't had this feature before so we shall see how good this is.

5)     The unit is supposed to pick up a pin out to 600 yards. I’ll test that as well. It will probably come in handy once I can hit the ball that far. LOL

6)    I will test the slope feature as well. I have not had this feature before and am excited to see if this helps or hurts my old manual guess on how much more or less club to hit based on the elevation difference.

7)    And finally, how long will the battery last?

• Like 6

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Once again, I’m back with a review, one of the lucky few selected to review the Cobalt Q-6 Slope laser rangefinder.  Thanks to Cobalt for providing the rangefinder, and to MyGolfSpy for selecting me.

An introduction to me, I'm a 66-year old Geotechnical Engineer, living in the Washington DC suburbs.  I’m easing into retirement, working only two days a week in the office, playing a bit more golf.  I’m also becoming active as a Rules Official, volunteering with both the VSGA and the MAPGA.   I've taken the USGA/PGA Rules Workshop 3 times, including in December 2022, and have scored well on the 100-quesiton exam.

I've been playing golf since I was a teenager, so I have something over 50 years of experience. I was largely a hacker, maybe a 15-handicap at best until I joined the club in the early 90s. Since then, with the help of a couple of lessons, a good bit of practice, and lots of play, I've become much better, currently a 8 handicap. I love to play and love even more to compete. Lucky for me, my wife is the same.

A quick equipment summary: I just replaced my driver over the winter of 2018/2019. Through a fitting session at Mid South in Pinehurst, I ended up with a Calloway Rogue SubZero with Graphite Design YS-Six shaft. Irons are Titleist T200 (reviewed for MGS), with Mizuno wedges.  Last Spring I added a Sub70 5-wood (see my review) and a Mizuno 7-wood.  Putter is an old Ping G5i (with the blue inserts) B-60.

As I mentioned, I'm a single-digit handicap, current with a 8.4 index. I generally keep the ball in play, hit a fair number of greens. Long irons are decent, short irons are generally good, short game and putting have been pretty solid recently.

But all of that isn't really important in reviewing a rangefinder, in my opinion.  I currently use a Bushnell Tour V3 laser (no slope).  I also own a Tour V2 unit, with slope, but I prefer the non-slope version so I don't screw up in competition.  Those will be my basis for comparison for the Cobalt.  What's important?  I can think of a few, right off.  Size and weight will matter, how does it fits my hand will impact ease of use.  Going with ease of use are the controls, switching units, and switching the Slope on and off.  Optics are certainly important, both magnification and clarity.  The ability to select specific spots for distancing is important, can I pick up a specific tree, the edge of a bunker, the flagstick? The read-out will matter, is it easy to read and easy to understand?  The ability to lock onto an object, to ignore “clutter will matter.  Feedback when locked on will be nice, whether its optical in the read out, a vibration, or a sound.  I'm sure I'll come up with more criteria, but those are my initial thoughts.

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 8

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Here we go again for another review!

I am really looking forward to this review as I have never had a range finder before and with my golf game being reinvigorated this last year I think this can only help. However before we get into that section a little about me. 

I have done introductions for reviews before, however a lot has changed over the years and maybe a refresh of the review is due. 

My name is Jamie. I am very fortunate to be the MGS Forum Director or Lead Mod… whatever you want to call it. I have been fortunate to test some products before for MGS and have won 2 MGS Fantasy Golf Championships!

On a personal side I am a father of a wonderful little boy Ivan (you can find a lot of photos and stories in the parenting thread) and my wife and I are expecting our second child in June. We moved to Switzerland nearly 3 years ago along with our 3 dogs so needless to say our house is a little chaotic and will only get more so. However I wouldn’t change a thing. 

image.png

As for my bag I would recommend checking my signature where I have links to various longer running threads of what is in my bag, what has been in my bag, iron review which is currently on going and much much more. 

image.png

Now onto my game

Officially here in Switzerland I play off a 9. However after moving here I had little to no chance to play due to work, cost and much more. Last year I was able to get about 15 rounds in and although I didn’t break 80 I had some great rounds where things came together. One of the issues here is everything is in Meters and I was lucky to play several different courses, but that also left me guessing a lot. Often I played alone or with others that didn’t speak much english so I would be guessing on a lot or yardages. I did/do have arccos, but even that I found funny and didn’t fully trust the yardages at times. 

I have a state of game thread which I’ll link here to check out, but here are some quick hits on my game via arccos. 

image.png

Now as a newby to the Range Finder game it isn’t going to take much to stay as part of my bag, however there are other factors I am looking for. Here are the 3 main goals that I will be looking for during testing.

1. How does a range finder implement into my game on a round to round basis. Does it fit in seamlessly? Do I forget about it or does it break routine?

2. The overall functionality of the Range Finder, does it make sense to me and is there anything I would like to see more from in the product.

3. Does it improve my game or make the game of golf easier for me?

As a final note most the courses are open here, however often with limited tees. I will get to play rounds however a lot of them will be very wet. I am also going to do some shooting of targets at the range to see how accurate they are as well!

Lots to come and stay tuned!

• Like 8

⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

Congratulations Testers!!! 

@Tom the Golf Nut @vandyland @DaveP043 @GolfSpy_APH
Looking forward to seeing what you guys are doing with yours so I can follow along with mine and maybe learn a few things I never thought of before!  Awesome team ranging here!  

• Like 7

Verified Hack, ~26 handicap 🙂  Golf for exercise and peace of mind.  ⛳

|> Big Dogs: First StrikeTM Rattlesnake (10.5), Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 3(20) 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  

|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 

|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:

⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ 1062474451_SwingUicon25.jpg.259795333d166f1ffb4cb5ab8a1e85a5.jpgSwingU Premium  

💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC   [International Golf Ball Rescue Commission] -Founder-

295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png PGA HOPE Graduate Member     1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes :Inesis:

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters 1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg 

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest! ⛳

Great Group of Testers that will most definitely put this rangefinder through its paces!  Congrats guys!!

• Like 7
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Otto Phlex PLB 45 "L"
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • TaylorMade Stealth 5-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour / Titleist AVX

Congrats testers! Looking forward to seeing how this competes in a market that’s growing more and more crowded every year. 

I’m still enjoying my precision pro, but there seems to be a lot of great competition here now. 

• Like 6

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120X | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | :ping-small: Traverse | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Congrats. to those selected.

Diverse group, and looking forward to the comments and reviews!

• Like 5

Driver & Fairway: Titleist TSi3 10 degree  - Ventus Black 5S & TS3 15 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 

Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 - Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged - Nippon Modus 120

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54, and 60

Putter: Cameron Phantom  X 5

Ball: Pro V1

Congrats testers!

• Like 5

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Click here for my in progress Arccos Caddie Bundle test!

Excellent group right here!!

• Like 5

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island 2
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Congrats testers! 

@GolfSpy_APH I wonder if you can use it to determine the overall length of an ice sheet!?!? 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway X2 Hot, 9°, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Cleveland Halo 3 Hybrid 22°

Cleveland TA7 6-9, ProjectX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

1 minute ago, TylorJudd said:

Congrats testers! 

@GolfSpy_APH I wonder if you can use it to determine the overall length of an ice sheet!?!? 🤣🤣🤣

I already know that! However can depend on the rink too. 

For reference I have never owned a range finder and only used one a handful of times so essentially a complete newby to this. I am really looking forward to this test and seeing how it integrates into my golf game/routine moving forward.

• Like 8

⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Welcome all to the first Member Test for MGS Forum in 2023. The Cobalt Q-6 Range Finder! 
image.png

Welcome our testers and follow along to see how they find the product in not only their final review, but updates all along throughout the test and post review for longer term follow up!

@Tom the Golf Nut
@vandyland
@DaveP043
@GolfSpy_APH

Want to be a tester for MGS Forum 2023? Be sure to go to our How To Become A Tester Thread to better your chances and get the ins and outs on how we select our testers!

Congratulations to the test group!  Have fun putting this range finder through some paces... we all look forward to your reviews.

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

Love it! Congrats guys!! Excited to see if their marketing lives up to their hype! If so, you all just got in on something awesome!!

• Like 3

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees, EvenFlow Riptide CB 40g 4.0
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature (changed to midsize grips) 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I already know that! However can depend on the rink too. 

For reference I have never owned a range finder and only used one a handful of times so essentially a complete newby to this. I am really looking forward to this test and seeing how it integrates into my golf game/routine moving forward.

I have a handful of Christmas money that I'm considering dropping on a rangefinder, so I'll be following this test with some interest for sure!

• Like 3

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - PXG 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :cobra-small:Radspeed 5-GW, KBS $-Taper Lite S
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV