TESTERS WANTED! ×

2023 Official Member Review: Cobalt Q-6 Range Finder

GolfSpy_APH

You did a great job on the final review @Tom the Golf Nut! It sounds like you found a winner in the Cobalt. I've worried too about standing outside shooting targets and what my neighbors would think, so it's good to hear nothing awkward came out of your encounter. 

Finally got out to do a different type test on the football field. The goal posts are + 2 yds from the back of the end zone and the end zone is 10 yds deep. As such, midfield should be 62 yds. I tested the cobalt vs my cheap amazon rangefinder. From midfield cobalt said 61.9 yds and the amazon one said 61.3. From field goal to field goal (should be 124 yds). Cobalt said 123.6 and amazon said 122.4. So cobalt was more accurate but not by an incredibly wide margin.

C2C0FF72-EA2B-4BAE-B45A-960C201DE8D0.jpeg

944F9AEA-8354-42CB-8EF1-EA18E244921C.jpeg

And then on the Google Earth Pro side, I tested out the Cobalt on longer ranges, this is what Google Earth says it is between these two trees:

image.png.92220c9ae4e0cfd98f21574fb8723480.png

What did the Cobalt say? 337 yds (I am inclined to believe the Cobalt over Google Earth in this instance. I also checked the football field while I was at it. Decent accuracy on Google Earth Pro as well:

image.png.0e62858848a794db0fb60acec3bd8411.png

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Updated my review so it is now final!

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Great reviews guys! Was a fun read and really happy you guys found a lot of success with them!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Great reviews guys!  It's nice to see that you don't need to pay at the top of the market in the rangefinder space to create a high quality product, and I love the fact that Cobalt has some very thoughtful features included in the design.  That slope switch is more along the lines of what I'd love to see from my Precision Pro unit, which is just too easy to accidentally change to slope mode.  

@DaveP043 I have to agree with you that the lack of magnet is something that I have gotten very used to when I ride a cart.  It's an awesome feature!  Maybe the next version of the Cobalt will have it.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Great reviews guys!  It's nice to see that you don't need to pay at the top of the market in the rangefinder space to create a high quality product, and I love the fact that Cobalt has some very thoughtful features included in the design.  That slope switch is more along the lines of what I'd love to see from my Precision Pro unit, which is just too easy to accidentally change to slope mode.  

@DaveP043 I have to agree with you that the lack of magnet is something that I have gotten very used to when I ride a cart.  It's an awesome feature!  Maybe the next version of the Cobalt will have it.

Interesting that Dave misses the magnet feature. Having never had one with a magnet it didn't even cross my mind. It was not something I missed having. Most of my rounds are walking now that I live in a flatter area so I wouldn't get to use that option if it was available.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Interesting that Dave misses the magnet feature. Having never had one with a magnet it didn't even cross my mind. It was not something I missed having. Most of my rounds are walking now that I live in a flatter area so I wouldn't get to use that option if it was available.  

I can't say that I miss the magnet for my personal use, but I know a bunch of guys who do have rangefinders with the built-in magnet.  Its simply one of the potential features that Cobalt has chosen not to include, and I believe a sizeable part of the market puts some value in that feature.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The magnet, for me, was a poisoned chalice. I find that it is useful for grabbing but increases the risk of me leaving the rangefinder in a golf cart. I have done that twice. In fairness, you all are probably smarter/more perceptive than me AND I only ride in a cart 5-10 times a year vs walking about 30 rounds a year so I get discombobulated in a cart. 

Great reviews fellas.

As rangefinder user I've started relying on GPS a little bit more, largely because I'm trying to be better about getting away from pin-hunting and working more towards the correct portion of the green to be aiming at. I know @vandylandmentioned he feels having the zoom feature helps in this regard, but overall do you feel like you're going to eschew any GPS solutions going forward and do the laser only?

I know a couple of you briefly spoke to this a bit in your reviews, just asking you to elaborate a bit so I can pick your brain a little...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

32 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I can't say that I miss the magnet for my personal use, but I know a bunch of guys who do have rangefinders with the built-in magnet.  Its simply one of the potential features that Cobalt has chosen not to include, and I believe a sizeable part of the market puts some value in that feature.

Magnet is a big feature for me personally. That was a great catch

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

12 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Great reviews fellas.

As rangefinder user I've started relying on GPS a little bit more, largely because I'm trying to be better about getting away from pin-hunting and working more towards the correct portion of the green to be aiming at. I know @vandylandmentioned he feels having the zoom feature helps in this regard, but overall do you feel like you're going to eschew any GPS solutions going forward and do the laser only?

I know a couple of you briefly spoke to this a bit in your reviews, just asking you to elaborate a bit so I can pick your brain a little...

Thanks for the shout, @Getoffmylawn. I take your point in that a back flag might distort your middle yardage (especially if you cannot tell from the fairway if it is a back pin or not). I think for NEW courses I have never played before, I would likely still have GPS ready just in case. Most (not all but a large majority) of the courses I play in my rota here do the different color flags for front, middle and back pin positions and they are accurate almost all the time. So I can shoot a back flag and subtract 5 yds or more to get the middle yardage. Probably bigger challenge may be shooting water hazards in some instances where there is not a stake to hit. I don't play a ton of water hazard heavy courses. The zoom is quite good but still need something to actually shoot. Shooting bunkers was quite easy, trees extremely easy and I kind of enjoyed shooting uphill landing zones WITH slope because it helped me realize how much I might potentially lose off a normal drive. 

13 minutes ago, vandyland said:

The magnet, for me, was a poisoned chalice. I find that it is useful for grabbing but increases the risk of me leaving the rangefinder in a golf cart. I have done that twice. In fairness, you all are probably smarter/more perceptive than me AND I only ride in a cart 5-10 times a year vs walking about 30 rounds a year so I get discombobulated in a cart. 

I mentioned that I was given a Precision Pro NX9 (I think that's the right model), which does have a nice strong magnet.  I managed to lose it while playing in Southern Pines, apparently I hit some bumps that dislodged it from the cart's roof support.  So even if the Cobalt did have the magnet, I probably woldn't use it.

9 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Great reviews fellas.

I've always looked at the rangefinder as a tool, not as a single source for information.  Sure, I know a flag distance, maybe I'll try to shoot a carry distance over an obstacle, I'll look at a pin sheet or flag color, check out yardage markers if they're there, lots of factors will go into my final shot choice.  I've never really used GPS consistently, very occasionally a phone app when I'm on a new course, but I agree that knowing a center distance, or maybe front and back, can help you from being stuck on the single flag distance.  I don't think having a top-quality laser rangefinder will really change anyone's "best practice".   

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Seems like a consensus big win for this rangefinder.  I've been in the market for one for a while now, and although this one looks like its very much on the higher end of the price range, seems like the performance back up the price tag. So thanks to all the testers for making my indecisiveness in pulling the trigger on a rangefinder that much harder, because now I have to add a new one to my list of contenders.

WITB 2023

:callaway-small: Driver: Big Bertha 2015 Model - Fubuki shaft (I think its time for an upgrade)

:nike-small: 3-Wood: VRs 15 degree

:taylormade-small:Irons: SIM2 4-AW

Wedges: :nike-small: Victory Red  LW-60/10, :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4 SW-56/10

Putter: :nike-small: Method Core MC-3i

....I may have loved/still love Nike and miss them making golf clubs💔

Concerning the magnet, has anyone considered just buying a really strong magnet and epoxying it on the range finder?  I’m not sure if that would mess anything up or if it’s ever been tried before. 

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

11 minutes ago, DriverBreaker said:

Concerning the magnet, has anyone considered just buying a really strong magnet and epoxying it on the range finder?  I’m not sure if that would mess anything up or if it’s ever been tried before. 

There are commercially available magnetic "straps" available, it looks like prices range from $10 to over $30.  Unfortunately, it looks like most of these will cover the controls on the side of the Cobalt, the Slope switch, the meters/yards button, and the illumination adjustment ring.  That might not be a real concern for most users, I know I didn't adjust any of these during most rounds.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Initial Impressions

So I came home from work and the Cobalt Q6 arrived a day early!  I was very impressed with the packaging and, on an EXTREMELY nerdy note, appreciated the cardboard box with the two push button holes vs tabs like you normally see.  I know I know...

1.jpg.1012bee45687f41e0b6e3932609f721b.jpg

Mine came with the scrub towel, and I'll say the scrub part of the towel (underside) feels like Velcro hooks.  I can definitely see how this would scrub the grooves of an iron quite well.

2.jpg.c2d64df9162434ac4667ec47654d3a87.jpg

The first time I took the Q6 out of the case, I was impressed by its weight.  Overall it is a heavy-duty feeling piece of kit!  I'd hope it would have felt this way for the price of $450 that people would normally pay.  Build quality feels similar to the Leupold I've been using.  One small annoyance, it looks like there is a scuff/smudge on the top of it straight out the box (see image below):

3.jpg.5d509664e9fcfcc7fa73531f34c9f191.jpg

Instructions are clear enough and easy to follow, though you could play with it for 30 seconds and figure out most of the functions (my kids did).  I personally really like the carying case.  The D-Ring is sturdy feeling and the added options of the loops to run a cart strap through or another type of carabiner is a nice touch.  The bungee cord is similar to Bushnell cases I've seen in the past.  

4.jpg.822edafa23058280734df535316824d6.jpg

5.jpg.ba8035de9cebaadf3ab06956440725e2.jpg

I took it to the back deck for a quick initial test and was pleased to find that it showed the same number over and over and over, down to the decimal place.  Mind you this is just shooting trees, but it does inspire confidence for the course!  I took a short video here:

More to come as I test it on the course, but first impressions are positive! 

WITB:

Really debating getting rid of Arccos this year and going back to just range finder and paper round tracking. I know my yardages and while granular statistics are great I think I am at the point I dont really need the information. 

With that being said my bushnell jolt is....aging....With these reviews an upgrade may be in my future.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Took the Cobalt Q6 to the range this afternoon during some lessons.  It really is impressive. Shoots the same number down to the decimal every single time. Near or far.  Video below proves it.  For reference, wind was blowing 15+ mph today. If I was nitpicking, it did read 315yds vs 314yds one time. Lol. But unless you’re Rory driving the green I’m not sure this is a deal breaker. 

This was with slope turned off.

WITB:

I’m using the Q6 today as I caddie for one of my students taking his Player Ability Test.  This thing is just rock solid so far. Same number to the decimal every single time.  Inspires a lot of confidence.

WITB:

From 376yds… one handed whole holding my phone with the other to film.

https://youtube.com/shorts/1eSMyGpAwAA?feature=share

WITB:

18 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's extremely impressive!

Shot a flag at 439yds as well.

WITB:

49 minutes ago, DriverBreaker said:

Who are you? Rory? hehe

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

45 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Who are you? Rory? hehe

I wish.  Simply got testing purposes to see what it’s capable of. 

WITB:

2 hours ago, DriverBreaker said:

Better hit a baby cut, you wouldn't wanna roll off the back.  #JustRoryThings

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I used the Q6 all day today running a tournament.  From Marshmallow long drive contests to shooting flags from tee to green, this thing performed.  I really like the two loops on the carrying case.  I put my belt through the loops and wore it on my hip like a dad from the 1980’s with a beeper.  Made for easy access.

77F30530-6C9F-4413-BC96-31D39DC219F2.jpeg.c87dee846e4abe240c1a1df010741277.jpeg

WITB:

Played my first 18 holes with the Q6 today.  It started off very cloudy and foggy.  No issues whatsoever.  I played around with the slope function as well today.  It’s nice to be able to shoot the flag, then toggle the slope on/off and have it switch between the measurements.  

WITB:

• 4 weeks later...

Played in a PGA Chapter Tournament on Tuesday and relied on the Q6.  No issues with it whatsoever.  Always shot the exact same number whenever I hit it twice or more times to confirm.  It was fast and consistent and it just worked!

WITB:

Played another 18 holes with the Q6 today.  I used the slope function this time.  It really changed my club on several shots that were severely downhill.  I’ve never had a rangefinder that had slope before, so it is definitely a game changer. 

This was the first time that I shot a flag twice in a row and got slightly different readings a few times.  To be fair, the wind was blowing really hard today, so it could’ve been due to the flagstick bending a bit from time to time. 

WITB: