Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

2023 Official Member Review: Cobalt Q-6 Range Finder

GolfSpy_APH

Played another 18 with the Cobalt Q6 this afternoon.  I really really really like how easy it is to switch back and forth between slope/non-slope mode.  Here is a short video from long and short-range.  Again, this is done with one hand holding the phone and another holding the range finder.  Very easy to hit the flag.

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

So an update with the Cobalt. Still going strong without a ton of issues. I have had a few challenges getting the flag in lower light conditions and thus have been using the pin seeking feature more. The carrying case still works great and the zoom feature is outstanding for getting a better optical view. 

I still don't LOVE the look of it and I will say it is quite expensive. As I mentioned in my review it is more accurate than the more budget rangefinders but we are talking 0.5 - 1% better. I also play the same golf course a lot so I am generally just shooting flags only which doesn't require EXTREME precision (as I myself do not have extreme precision). So, even though no one asked, if I lost this rangefinder I would have to think long and hard about whether or not the incremental benefit is worth the high end cost.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

The Review – 5/26/23

Cobalt Q-6 Range Finder – Official MGS Forum Review by DriverBreaker

Intro

Hello again Spies!  Tony here with another review for the MGS Forum!  I have been blessed to do several reviews for the Forum in the past (Srixon Z-Star golf balls, Super Speed training system, Cleveland Frontline Elevado, and L.A.B. DF2.1) and have the opportunity to pinch hit for this Cobalt Q-6 Range Finder.

image.png.b18cab65c234816354a734d8039b52be.png

My job puts me around golf quite a bit.  I run Player Development, Internships, and teach classes as a professor in a Professional Golf Management (PGA) Program at a large university in North Carolina.   While our winters are a bit chilly, I do get year-round golf.  My job mostly has me helping others improve their own golf games and I absolutely love it (just in case you couldn't tell by the photos)!  

image.png.9153f40c1e95173b4829f0c1f4c1f0ae.png

Currently, I play off a 3 handicap and I want to start playing in PGA Section tournaments this year.  I find when I have some goals to shoot for, I am much more likely to practice and play more often.  I would call myself a competitive golfer who needs to actually play much more to reach my golfing potential.

image.png.18e9594a9ec90094426d505e85953032.png

While accurate distances to the flag, bunkers, hazards, etc. are vital to playing your best golf at any level, as you start playing in tournaments it becomes even more important.  A yard off or an incorrect target reading (tree in the background behind the flag) could severely cost you in your club selection.  In many tournaments, one stroke is the difference between winning and losing. 

image.png.0dac91506d0505840530d213420ad2cd.png

I’m currently using a Leupold GX-3i2 range finder that I’ve been pleased with overall.  I’ve never been one to spend $$$ on a range finder, but as I’m going to play competitively, this review opportunity is perfectly timed.  I’ve heard next to nothing about Cobalt Range Finders in the past.  To be honest, when I saw that this product needed another tester to step in, I wasn’t sure about it.  I’m not saying that I only trust well-established big players like Bushnell, but I just didn’t have any context for the Cobalt line.  Having read through the other testers’ posts thus far, I have high expectations for this device. 

image.png.a0da54aa3cb47ceb93cc34a21d53b6cd.png

To earn a spot in my bag and kick out the Leupold, this range finder needs to be accurate.  If I shoot a flag three times in a row, I expect the yardage to be the same every time.  I read this one shows the 10th place (same as the Leupold), so I’d say as long as the whole number is the same (e.g., 125.2, 125.6) each time, I’m good to go.  Durability and quality of build are also premier for me.  I have two kids who like to play with me and they love to check out all of dad’s tech.  They’re very respectful of my stuff, but accidents happen.   Ease of use is also important.  I don’t want to use something that is cumbersome or awkward.  Finally, optics are important.   The viewfinder needs to be clear and adjustable.  Aside from that, if it works, I’m happy!

First Impressions (20 out of 20)

So I came home from work and the Cobalt Q6 arrived a day early!  I was very impressed with the packaging and, on an EXTREMELY nerdy note, appreciated the cardboard box with the two push button holes vs tabs like you normally see.  I know I know...

image.png.d299b4741ac6da15cbbf15a863e0b86a.png

Mine came with the scrub towel, and I'll say the scrub part of the towel (underside) feels like Velcro hooks.  I can definitely see how this would scrub the grooves of an iron quite well.

image.png.2552d1f9532445b6c36cc1fa82f1b659.png

The first time I took the Q6 out of the case, I was impressed by its weight.  Overall it is a heavy-duty feeling piece of kit!  I'd hope it would have felt this way for the price of $450 that people would normally pay.  Build quality feels similar to the Leupold I've been using.  One small annoyance, it looks like there is a scuff/smudge on the top of it straight out the box (see image below):

image.png.c3aeb3318409f7c9bf14f069886c3969.png

Instructions are clear enough and easy to follow, though you could play with it for 30 seconds and figure out most of the functions (my kids did).  I personally really like the carrying case.  The D-Ring is sturdy feeling and the added options of the loops to run a cart strap through or another type of carabineer is a nice touch.  The bungee cord is similar to Bushnell cases I've seen in the past.  

image.png.599d1a5cad967989c2fee65b6adc27b3.png

image.png.169a31e6a1a5725deb3e0644cc2cbcd8.png

I took it to the back deck for a quick initial test and was pleased to find that it showed the same number over and over and over, down to the decimal place.  Mind you this is just shooting trees, but it does inspire confidence for the course!  I took a short video here:

Aesthetics (8 out of 10) 

The thing I like most about the Cobalt Q6 is the weight and heftiness of it.  It does not feel like a cheap plastic range finder.  It feels like a tank.  For the price tag, I’d want nothing less.  There is something that inspires build confidence about a heavier piece of tech, in my opinion.  I am not the biggest fan of the blue/black color scheme.  I’d personally prefer black/red, but that’s just a preference.  Cobalt being blue/black reminds me to much of the Lowes brand Kobalt (I am a fan of Kobalt products, but not enough differentiation there especially with it being the same name in sound). I haven’t dropped the thing yet, but I have no doubts that it would hold up to it, with as solid as it is built.  The storage case is built well and protects the range finder solidly.  I really like the bungee strap and the three loops on the back of the case.  I looped it through my belt one time while caddying for a player and it made it extremely convenient to have that option.

image.png.4e55e67f756e80c9eeadeea69c38947e.png

The Numbers (10 out of 10)

This is what it is really all about.  A range finder can have all the bells and whistles, brush your teeth for you and make you a sandwich, but if it doesn’t measure distance accurately, what’s the point.  I have extreme confidence in the accuracy of the Cobalt Q6.  The slope feature is something I’ve never had in a range finder before and man what a difference does it make!  I compared it against several other’s Bushnell Tour V5 Shifts and it was on par with them each time.  It picks up flags from over 300yds no problem whatsoever.  One of the easiest to use range finders I’ve ever experienced.  It is very fast as well.  Setup is a breeze and the ability to quickly toggle the switch between slope/no slope is such a nice feature.

Here are some videos of me shooting flags with one hand holding the range finder and the other holding my phone to film through the viewer (not easy to do especially at distance and with wind, but speaks to the ease of use of the Cobalt):

On-Course (20 out of 20)

I never really had any issues with the range finder on the course.  I always had it with me because I trusted the numbers so much.  I played several new to me courses with it and it was tremendously helpful to be able to shoot intermediate targets with it and trust those numbers.  Like having a caddie around a new course.  It is so fast that it made my rounds a breeze.  No fumbling to get it working or to shoot the flag.  I like to hit the flag twice to confirm, and with other less expensive range finders of old, I’d get two different numbers each time.  Not very confidence inspiring to say the least.  Not so with this Cobalt Q6.  I played in two PGA Section events with it and broke 80 each time on new courses.  I just shot my PR round ever with it yesterday (-2 overall and a -3 on the back nine with 4 birdies and a stupid bogey).  Needless to say, I’m loving this thing.  It has helped me dial in my 50-80yd wedge play which has been a weakness for me of late.

Scorecard.jpeg.f523da285566ba862e6427928dd78df9.jpeg

The Good, the bad, the in-between (19 out of 20)

This seems silly, but I really really really like having the battery indicator in the display.  It always stinks when you go to play a round only to find out your range finder battery is dead and you don’t have a backup.  This is such a simple to include feature that really makes a big impact on the experience.  I might be sounding like a fan boy at this point, but I really don’t have much negative to say about the product.  It does what it is supposed to do.  It is beefy and built with great quality.  Aside from nitpicking about the color scheme and lack of a magnet (which I might find a way to add on anyway), it’s such a solid device.

Cobaltoncourse.jpeg.2b7057914daa9be8d3b46fb3421bb0aa.jpeg

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20)

For this section, consider that all things are equal and you’re choosing whether or not you would put this device in play for a big tournament or money game.  Do they help you play your best? Or are they just nice to have?  Do you think the asking price is fair for the product?  Finally, what type of golfer do you think this product would fit the best?  If it’s not you, explain why and try to identify the type of golfer that can benefit the most from it.  

I am 100% keeping the Cobalt Q6.  It is hands down the best range finder I’ve ever owned.  The lifetime warranty is also a huge plus!  For the price one would pay, it’s nice to have that peace of mind over the product. It will always hold a special place in my bag due to it helping me shoot my lowest ever total score and 9-hole score!

Conclusion

In short, the Cobalt Q6 is a fantastic range finder.  Build quality is top notch, it feels solid in your hands, it reads fast and accurately, and it comes with a lifetime warranty!  What more do you want in a range finder?  The slope function is extremely fast and convenient to turn off/on.  The brightness display is superb.  The battery indicator is a great touch.  All in all, I think you’d be doing yourself a disservice to not consider this as your next range finder. 

Final Score (97 out of 100)

WITB:

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been playing lots of golf lately and am still loving the Q6.  I shot a -4 32 front nine yesterday with a three-putt par and a missed eagle putt from 8ft.  It’s just such a solid unit from top to bottom!  

WITB:

• 2 months later...

The original Battery just ran out on the Cobalt.  Not too bad considering I got it back in March and played a lot of golf this summer with it.

WITB:

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to come back, I've played something like 85 rounds of golf with the Cobalt, and the battery indicator still shows essentially full charge.  I've found nothing wrong with it in this extended use, and have bumped into a few people who're also using it.  The only drawbacks mentioned are the same as I noted earlier, primarily the lack of a magnet.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I still have and use mine as well. I will also say that the bungee system is still holding strong. For whatever reason I was worried about that but it has not been an issue. Pin lock works well, battery is still full like @DaveP043 notes and it seems to get the same readings as the equally high end bushnells that I encounter at my club. Very happy with this range finder and I don't even think about range finders anymore now that I have this one. 

To this day, the highlight is the zoom focus ability which makes following drives very easy. I play with a few guys who are quite wild off the tee so I have taken to watching their drives through the range finder and it is quite helpful, albeit taxing on my eyes...haha. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I'm still loving mine and the battery life has been outstanding. I'm still showing at 100% and I use it at least twice a week for 18 holes. So far only twice I was caught off guard. I got to the course, and it was very foggy. Lasers are useless in the fog and of course I left my GPS watch home on the nightstand.  But three or four holes later the fog lifted, and I was back in my normal routine.     

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Still loving mine as well!  However my battery did randomly die one day, seemingly overnight. I wonder if it somehow got locked into the button being depressed in the case.  Or if I laid my bag on the case in the car and it stayed depressed.  But like others have said, it’s a great unit.  Always spot on with Bushnell’s in my experience. 

WITB:

• 4 weeks later...

Update time:

The Cobalt is still working flawlessly. The battery life is still showing 100%. 1 month shy of a year in use and roughly 75 rounds. That is incredible. My other laser would go through 2 or 3 batteries a season.

Grip is good, paint is good, optics are still clear, display is crystal clear. What else can you ask for. Oh the important question. Accurate yardage confirmed to be spot on.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 4 months later...

How are these holding up for you testers? Still going strong?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)