Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Sam Hogan or Ben Snead

For my own curiosity this was cobbled together several years back.    Snead always had a rap on having bad leg work but some say he had great leg work.    Hogan's leg work always looked pretty good and I wanted to see what might be found by changing bottoms.    Thought some might enjoy.   

ssbh.jpg.bb0d405fbbf88a8310c16451a3f07513.jpg

hws.jpg.a1bb266dd673906dddb08c0691a6b216.jpgswh.jpg.10c7a4df65dd068203a930099d3dbf3e.jpg

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

Cool pics! I'm not educated enough on the golf swing to comment, but as an aside while I do admire Hogan's work ethic I really admire Snead's natural and flowing swing - while maybe not as technically perfect as Hogan's it seemed to be very effective!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Both at the top of the game's hierarchy for sure, along with several others like Byron especially,  that are always fun to look at for drawing our own conclusions about a game that requires that.   Funny how that works, Nelson's leg work might be seen as worse than Snead's but in many regards Nelson's leg work might be better than Hogan's.  I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or player at any level.  It was fun cobbling that together...

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

18 minutes ago, MacTourney said:

Nelson's leg work might be seen as worse than Snead's but in many regards Nelson's leg work might be better than Hogan's.  I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or player at any level. 

Not a single way to swing the club nor is one more effective than the other; it is just what works for the player.  I think the difference ties in with the front, center, rear poster that Mike Adams and Terry Rowles discuss in their teachings. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hogan had an anti left swing. He did things that allowed him to achieve what he wanted.

Snead had a different approach and his leg work is what many instructors use when referring to the squat move seen in many of the top level pros. I’ve never heard anyone say snead’s leg work was bad. 

As cnosil points out there are lots of ways to swing the club and what’s optimal for one may not be for someone else. Even in todays era we see lots of swings with similar backswings and yet all the pros end up in similar positions at impact. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1