Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Most forgiving most under-rated irons...?

therod

I am thinking about getting another set of irons this spring. I would like the most forgiving irons I can find, and do it for the least amount of $. My miss is a hook, and I have a lower ball flight. I currently have an old set of Cleveland TA-7s (still a great club) and a set of Adams XTDs. I've looked at some Wilsons since they aren't as expensive. I also peaked at some Tour Edge. I'd probably stay away from the hybrid type of club just by preference. They also don't need to be new, I'm good with used. What say you?

You should check out Sub 70. They have lots of iron choices. The 699 and 799 are their more forgiving clubs. I also think they have another GI iron coming in a couple of months. Prices are very reasonable unless you get into more expensive shafts and grips. Club quality and their customer service are excellent. They also pre owned clubs that will save you some money too. I actually went from a set of XTDs to Sub 70.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Looked at Sub70's equipment on their website. Being a lefty that doesn't play as much or have as low an index as I used to, I'm looking for something on the higher end of the forgiveness spectrum. Their stuff just doesn't look like it fits what I'm looking for. I've looked at the recent Wilson irons, they look good and fit what I'm looking for. There are other suitable options I'm sure. It's going to be a couple months before I get anything, so I have time to look.

On 1/8/2023 at 5:42 PM, Bossfan said:

I also think they have another GI iron coming in a couple of months.

Correct - a revamped #749 GI model is due out in April. Gonna check out out myself!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 1/9/2023 at 1:45 AM, therod said:

I haven't looked at anything Sub 70 has. I'm a little limited being a lefty, but I'll check their selection out when I have time 

Fellow lefty here... and sub70 iron owner.

I'll give sub 70 another shout out for the 699. Should provide plenty of forgiveness at a price that is suitable. They do have a certified used section as well fwiw. 

Depending on what you are looking for Mizuno Hot Metal comes to mind as well. I am sure you could find used sets in good condition that would match what you are looking for. 

Finally Srixon could be another one that is worth checking out. 

In the end all the companies make some good "forgiving" irons and comes down to how much you want to spend and whether you are going brand new, certified used (callaway preowned for example) or used used (ebay type). 

Let us know how it works out and what you end up going with!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Some great suggestions above.  When reading your post, it reminded me of my own journey for more forgiveness this past year that led me to the TaylorMade Stealth Irons (see my unofficial review here if interested).  This spring I will be testing out several iron sets to see if any give me warm and fuzzy feelings like my current gamers, and the Mizuno JPX 923 line will be a large part of that testing... but they will have to perform pretty well to replace the Stealths in my bag.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I do love my Jpx 921 HM. Will likely be upgrading to the pros in the next few months for a little less offset. Overall fantastic irons and very forgiving. Plus how can you beat the feel of a mizuno iron!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

All great suggestions. If you're into doing a little shopping, it wouldn't hurt to check out the Callaway Pre-Owned website for irons. Their "Like New to Good" condition categories clubs in good condition. I picked up a set of Maverick Pro Irons 4-GW for under $500, with Elevate 105 steel shafts, when I got them they were like brand new, not a mark on the face of any club. Callaway will also do trade-ins. That sold my wife 🤣🤣, getting rid of clubs!  Don't know their inventory for lefties.  But good selection of shaft types and prices are good. Good Luck!

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I will second the Mizuno 923 Hot Metal and would put them on your list (just finished playing the 921 HM).  I went in for a fitting and fully expected to be ordering the (923s) and they were great.  However, at the last minute, and suggestion of the fitter, I tried the Taylormade Stealth (stock graphite shaft - it is lighter and fit me very well).  Distances were the same as with the 923 but on 10 shots I averaged less than 1 yard either side of center (923s were not as consistent, I'm guessing more to the shaft).  I ended up with the Stealth but I would not overlook Mizuno 923 HM, Ping 430, or the new Callaway irons (Paradym).

G7xx from Ping or T400.

but what also has to be considered is how does the sole of the club work with your swing, how does the weight and balance of the club with the shaft feel to you and how does that affect your swing mechanics.

just because a club is labeled as forgiving doesn’t meant it will be for each golfer.

One has to hit and test clubs at a minimum to see what fits. But then best option is to see a reputable fitter who has lots of options to find what is best for your swing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'd second the Maverick's on Callaway Pre-Owned. I had rented them on vacation for two rounds. Having the Cleveland Hybrid irons for 10 years (two versions), this is something I could transition to in a more traditional iron.  With that said, the Tour Edge E722's feel realy good to me in the store. But, haven't played them. 

Edited by NC Golfer

On 1/8/2023 at 1:12 PM, therod said:

I am thinking about getting another set of irons this spring. I would like the most forgiving irons I can find, and do it for the least amount of $. My miss is a hook, and I have a lower ball flight. I currently have an old set of Cleveland TA-7s (still a great club) and a set of Adams XTDs. I've looked at some Wilsons since they aren't as expensive. I also peaked at some Tour Edge. I'd probably stay away from the hybrid type of club just by preference. They also don't need to be new, I'm good with used. What say you?

I still game TA7's!!!! Just 6-9 but they are very forgiving!

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

Try to find some used Cleveland HB Launcher Turbo irons in good condition. I would quit golf before playing them, but you asked for maximum forgiveness on a budget.

If you want new, here they are in lefty. https://www.amazon.com/Cleveland-Golf-Launcher-Turbo-Iron/dp/B07WNSY5P7?th=1

Cleveland-Launcher-HB-Turbo-7-1.jpg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I tried to game some hybrids several years ago, but I just couldn't get along with them. I didn't like the look at address, I didn't care for the feel, and they just didn't work for me. My biggest problem now, after 4 days in Palm Springs golfing, is that I have some arthritis in my lower back and taking much of a divot is rough. I don't take much of a divot anyway, but more or less, if it's not on a tee, it probably hurts. I did some therapy for my back, but it didn't help the arthritis. So while I don't really like how they look and they didn't perform for me before, I really may not have a choice.

On 1/12/2023 at 3:26 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Fellow lefty here... and sub70 iron owner.

I'll give sub 70 another shout out for the 699. Should provide plenty of forgiveness at a price that is suitable. They do have a certified used section as well fwiw. 

Depending on what you are looking for Mizuno Hot Metal comes to mind as well. I am sure you could find used sets in good condition that would match what you are looking for. 

Finally Srixon could be another one that is worth checking out. 

In the end all the companies make some good "forgiving" irons and comes down to how much you want to spend and whether you are going brand new, certified used (callaway preowned for example) or used used (ebay type). 

Let us know how it works out and what you end up going with!

I echo the comments on the Sub70 699s. They may not look forgiving, but looks are deceiving. They are injected with TPE resin and are quite forgiving in my opinion. With the V2s out now, the V1s are even more affordable.

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

I'd have to say my current gamers, Yamaha inpres ud+2 2019 forged. Lofts are strong, but the clubs spank the ball well and soles are narrow yet forgiving. The fricoff sole is top notch.. Longest point and Shoot irons would be Bridgestone JGR hybrid irons. Soles are wide, but under many conditions they rock.  Another underrated iron is Royal Collection SFD x7 forged. Long and playable. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

Some of the older Ping models I think could also fit this category. Although they are usually not too underrated, you can get a set that is a bit older and still really good and forgiving. The other bonus part is because they are cast irons they normally don't have the same wear signs as other forged offerings do. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golfworks.com ke4S irons would be perfect. Super forgiving and not as expensive but top quality

Driver: Sim 9*, ventus blue 6R

3 wood: Srixon ZX

Hybrids: Srixon ZX 3H and 4H

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5-GW (5 iron with UST Recoil F3; 6-GW, Nippon 950h reg)

Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52* and 58*, 52* Nippon 950GH, & 58* TT90

Putter: Odyssey Versa 12

Ball: Srixon Zstar

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5

Going a little against the grain - 4 years ago i wanted more forgiveness and something that was easier on my arthritic back and hips - was playing callaway x-22 with regular flex steel shafts 

A couple fitting session later and i was ordering taylormade M5 irons 4-sw with graphite regular+ shafts - atmos red i think they are.  and i coupled those with new gloves by BIONIC

Distance and accuracy went way up, discomfort went down.

SO lesson of the day  -  go to a fitter and pay attention  I used mmm  Golf Galaxy, went to 1 store and didnt mesh with the pro there - he was pushing cleveland launchers on me i couldnt stand the look of them so i left and a week later was in another GG and the guy there listened to what i had to say and initially set me up with the newer callaways with steel in senior,  no go  all over the place, then steel in regular better dispersion but still a variety of missess,  on to ping - i use a G400 lst driver with a copper xtorsion shaft - and they felt really good but were going to be a month or 2 out, and then tried the TM M6 which was just like the ping G, misses with both of those were low on the face,  finally tried an M5 they had in a graphite regular and boom long and felt much nicer on contact,  tried in Stiff to tighten up the dispersion which worked lost a little distance and settled on ordering the regular+ shafts.

They have been fantastic - 

SECOND part of the fitting, i try the bionic gloves they look weird but immediately noticed much lighter grip pressure, the hook is mostly gone and they last !

Steve
Mid Ohio play off a 10 hdcp some days its good some days not so good
G400 LST 9degree with a stiff copper Xtersion
M6 -3 wood, G30 3H, TitleistH1 5H
M5- 4-SW graphite reg, Wilson FGTour 60
Scotty newport select
Prefer Prov1x, or Maxfli Tour S

The Ping 700 or 710 have been suggested, good choices.

The Callaway Mavrik Max irons are also quite forgiving and, being a few years old, are more affordable.

The PXG 2021 0211's are also very forgiving.

Good luck with your quest.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

I know they are hybrid look but the Cobra T-Rails are uber forgiving. Go High, go far.  Wilson makes great under appreciated irons like the D-7's & D-9's.  Go a mile.  Lastly I also gamed the Cleveland XL's - not the Halo's - and they seem so huge that you can't miss. Other than the new 2023 T-Rails, these are on the inexpensive side.  I am also left handed so feel your pain.  I have been researching the 699's by Sub 70 & they don't look forgiving but I guess they are & everybody seems to rave about them.  It's about the only club they make left handed for us super game improvement types.  I don't believe their 799's come left handed.  Good luck in your journey.  

Buy last year's Srixon 5  series irons , they have been marked down because of the new model this year and they are great for dispersion and distance.  

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )