Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Most forgiving most under-rated irons...?

therod

I'm also a lefty and I just starting being "serious" about golf 2 years ago. Serious enough I knew I needed to replace my current 20yo garage sale clubs, but not serious enough to drop a G for something I'm going to smore than likely suck at for awhile. I ended up going with Tour Edge C521's. I called them up and we worked over the phone about my set up. I'm 6'2" so I needed a 1/2 inch longer and we decided on a stiffer set up. I ordered 6-PW for under $350 (~$70/club). A year later I determined I needed a 5i, called them up and they had all my specs, built one, and shipped it. Still ~$70 for that club. Very happy with the folks at TE.

Shep

I second the idea of checking out the Tour Edge E722.  Tour Edge is very high quality and very underrated.   They are also a clearance item at Golf Galaxy and can be had at a very attractive price.  I bought a set of C722 just because of the great price, and of course they are excellent clubs. Had to have them adjusted to my specs at minimal cost.  They are in my new second bag which is in the process of being constructed. 

TSR 2, 11, Tensei blue regular flex, driver

TSi 2, 16.5, Tensei blue regular flex, fairway

Stealth, 21, Ventus Red 5-r, fairway

TSi 2,  24, Tensei blue regular flex, hybrid

AP3, 5i - 48*, Steelfiber I95, regular flex, irons

RTX 52, 56, DG Spinner, wedges

ER2, 33”  OR  ER 11v, 33” putter

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Some of the older Ping models I think could also fit this category. Although they are usually not too underrated, you can get a set that is a bit older and still really good and forgiving. The other bonus part is because they are cast irons they normally don't have the same wear signs as other forged offerings do. 

I love finding older clubs that can still hold their own. So...

I bought a set of 2011 Ping G20s when I first decided I was getting serious about golf. Love them. 

My Dad also gave me his 2002 Callaway Big Berthas. Love them too. 

Both have been great for helping a new-ish / old-ish player like me. 

I was also a hooker.  Got fitted by PXG and had the irons set at 2degrees flat to eliminate the hook.  It’s worth getting fit.  PXG did not charge for fitting.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

Santa brought me (I'm Santa in my house 😉 ) a set of Wilson D9's. Research suggests that they fit the need for forgiveness and added distance for a slower swinger like me.  So I'm looking forward to seeing how they play once the rains subside here in Vancouver BC. I'll let you know.

3 hours ago, Nat said:

Golfworks.com ke4S irons would be perfect. Super forgiving and not as expensive but top quality

I have KE4 irons. Excellent clubs and very forgiving.  They about 4 degrees weaker than the mizunos, for example, but I am fine not having jacked lofts.  And the people at Golfworks are great to work with.  

I find Titleist T300 (2020 model) irons to be very forgiving.  Bought my first set in 2019 when they were first released and will be upgrading this fall when the third generation is released.  You can always find a good used set and have them set to met your specs.  Highly recommend them.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

1 minute ago, ChuckZ said:

I find Titleist T300 (2020 model) irons to be very forgiving.  Bought my first set in 2019 when they were first released and will be upgrading this fall when the third generation is released.  You can always find a good used set and have them set to met your specs.  Highly recommend them.  

Agree with the forgiving part. Would you call them underrated in this segment? (GI or SGI) Or even overlooked?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Agree with the forgiving part. Would you call them underrated in this segment? (GI or SGI) Or even overlooked?

By some.  They hear the brand and figure overpriced and overlook them, which they are not, they are competitive.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I love my ZX4's, they are super forgiving and I think they look great.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I think the Wilson irons you mentioned are a great bargain - especially if you get last year's model instead of the newest. I have a friend that plays them and loves them. They seem very forgiving. I, personally have the STi irons from Golfworks. I absolutely love them. I know they are not the coolest or the most trendy, but I chose a very good Fujikura shaft that I like and the combo works great for me. I have also purchased from the Callaway pre-owned site quite a few times and every time I have been impressed with the condition of the clubs. You have a lot of great suggestions here. If you want a brand name, check out gently used ones from Callaway or Global Golf. If you want new, but not expensive, Sub 70 or Golfworks or Wilson. If you want to spend the big bucks, the Pings are very forgiving and should last a long time. Good luck! Let us know what you decide. (Also, if you have arthritis, I recommend graphite shafts).

:ping-small: G400 Max driver,  Alta CB shaft R

:callaway-small: heavenwood

:cobra-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 set to different settings depending on course. Sometimes a Taylormade 4

Maltby STi2 irons 5-GW, Fujikura Shaft

:vokey-small: 54, 58

:taylormade-small: Ardmore 3 putter

I would recommend the mizuno hot metals or hot metal pros. Incredibly long and forgiving. You should be able to get a used set of used 921’s for a reasonable price.  I would suggest getting fitted as well.  Having a set of clubs that suits your game will make a big impact on your game.

1D Taylor Made R9

3W Taylor made R 7

1H Hogan apex tour 1 hybrid

4-PMizuno mp 32 

Vokey Spin milled wedges 

52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 ball

Titleist T400 is an option - if you find a used set. I’ve had the LH version in the past. New is not inexpensive. Priced with the T200’s and not the T300. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

I was fit for the Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL about 3 months ago. Very forgiving, gets a nice towering ball flight. Would highly recommend giving them a chance.

20221229_215428.jpg

Driver - Ping G425 Max

Fairways - Ping G430 Max (3w, 5w)

Irons - JPX 923 Hot Metal HL (5-G)

Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Black (V-Line)

Ball - Titleist ProV1x (Yellow) / Srixon Z Star Divide

Maltby KE-4 Max without any question. Amazing forgiveness with a less chunky and classy design

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ke4-max-iron-heads/p/ma0337/

Under $300 for a whole set with their Scor TT shafts Pac.

I custom built a set of these with DG s300 and theyre the easiest clubs I ever played. So happy with them and the max wedges. Previous set was Ping g and Adams cb3s. These feel like the forged adams but play even easier than the ping Gs and not a thick topline or much offset or bulk. 

Other forgiving sets are Adams Idea velocity hybrid set (2014) and Adams Idea Tech or blue (2015) which you can find some great deals on online. 

Edited by KOG

Driver : Exotics EXS Pro with with Diamana 'ahina 70 stiff

3 Wood : Yamaha RMX 15* with Evenflow Green Stiff

7 Wood: Yonex Ezone with UST Comp stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w KBS Tour Graphite Stiff

Utility Iron: Srizon ZX 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: PRGR Silver Blade Wide Blade slant

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

5 hours ago, Delhump22 said:

I was fit for the Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL about 3 months ago. Very forgiving, gets a nice towering ball flight. Would highly recommend giving them a chance.

20221229_215428.jpg

Oh yeah?  Well mine hit it backwards. 😆

Mizuno irons, hybrids and Driver of the week 😆.  Cally wedges from CPO!

Nice Shot Man! ⛳️ 

I have to admit that I had only looked at Sub70 in passing and hadn't really looked that seriously at them. Seriousky looking at their irons, I might have to reconsider. The 699s are much more appealing to me now that I know what they actually are and know more about what they actually are.

And I think the 699 V2 looks sweet! But much of his equipment does as well. The TA3s look great, but no lefty. The 1 big question I have...looking at the 699s. How "workable" are they since they're a hollow-bodied club? My local muni is usually a pretty windy track and being able to lower my ball flight is almost a necessity sometimes. How "workable" are they if I need to knock it down under the wind?

9 hours ago, therod said:

The 1 big question I have...looking at the 699s

I think .. not sure .. there are Unofficial Reviews, and/or discussion under Equipment, on the 699s / 699 Pros - which seem to be all pretty positive!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Trust me on this. Ive played the XTDs, Callaway Great Big Bertha Tungston Ti, most of the 2014-2015 Adams sets, TM RBladez max, TheCleveland launcher turbos, Ping Karsten, Ping G then my current set. 

The most forgiving iron I have ever used is the new Maltby Ke4 Max. And they are not chunky and have a low profile shape like the Stealth HDs. They dont look super game improvement but theyre the easiest irons Ive ever played. However, I do bag the launcher 5 iron sometimes. Those are good. But of you want ultra forgiving yet traditional minimal looking irons with a nice feel...KE4 max...Trust me. Memories of Mcgregor vfoil in shape

IMG_8428.jpg.e2a65b2f73b5930dca1c4c668b00aaba.jpg

Edited by KOG

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

1 hour ago, KOG said:

Trust me on this. Ive played the XTDs, Callaway Great Big Bertha Tungston Ti, most of the 2014-2015 Adams sets, TM RBladez max, The Turbo launcher turbos, Ping Karsten, Ping G then my current set. 

The most forgiving iron I have ever used is the new Maltby Ke4 Max. And they are not chunky and have a low profile shape like the Stealth HDs. They dont look super game improvement but theyre the easiest irons Ive ever played. However, I do bag the launcher 5 iron sometimes. Those are good. But of you want ultra forgiving yet traditional minimal looking irons with a nice feel...KE4 max...Trust me. Memories of Mcgregor vfoil in shape

It's so funny - I feel like I JUST discovered the Maltby line (I mean, I kind of did, thanks to @azstu324), but their whole lineup just seems to be full of incredibly made, easy-to-hit clubs, that actually look NICE. 

If you get a second, would you mind shooting a few shots of these at address? My only nitpick with Golfworks is that they only have one picture of each club. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

1 hour ago, KOG said:

Trust me on this. Ive played the XTDs, Callaway Great Big Bertha Tungston Ti, most of the 2014-2015 Adams sets, TM RBladez max, The Turbo launcher turbos, Ping Karsten, Ping G then my current set. 

I don't know much about the Maltby KE4 Max but I have a set of the Cleveland Launcher HB's and am looking at the newer Launcher XL Halo's. I can't imagine how any traditionally shaped(not hybrid iron like) iron can be as forgiving as the hybrid like irons. Would you be able to give me some more detail comparing those two? Forgiveness, distance, height, spin... TIA

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

It's so funny - I feel like I JUST discovered the Maltby line (I mean, I kind of did, thanks to @azstu324), but their whole lineup just seems to be full of incredibly made, easy-to-hit clubs, that actually look NICE. 

If you get a second, would you mind shooting a few shots of these at address? My only nitpick with Golfworks is that they only have one picture of each club. 

I know what you mean so I got you. I uploaded the 6, the 8 and the pw at address here. And few more because the pics on the site really dont do it justice. 

6 iron

6 iron.jpg

8 iron

8irn.jpg

PW

pww.jpg

6-8

6to8.jpg

9, pw

9pw.jpg

IMG_8464.jpg

49 minutes ago, rlb4 said:

I don't know much about the Maltby KE4 Max but I have a set of the Cleveland Launcher HB's and am looking at the newer Launcher XL Halo's. I can't imagine how any traditionally shaped(not hybrid iron like) iron can be as forgiving as the hybrid like irons. Would you be able to give me some more detail comparing those two? Forgiveness, distance, height, spin... TIA

Well, theres a couple ways to look at it. If you go by Maltbys MPF chart, it only considers the club design but there are other non specifics not accounted for in the formula. Hybrid irons like the launchers or wide sole cavity sgi clubs give an ease that is the one thing overlooked by it.  But if you look at Maltbys ratings ,the Launcher turbos are rated high without that factor, so its also very forgiving. However in design the Ke4 Max or most Big Bertha irons are higher rated in MPF in his comparison here.

https://store-k9nvqai7wz.mybigcommerce.com/content/PDFs/Head_MPFs/MPF_CLEVELAND.pdf

https://store-k9nvqai7wz.mybigcommerce.com/content/PDFs/Head_MPFs/MPF_MALTBY.pdf

But the main difference from someone who owns both sets, one feels like a hybrid and one feels like an iron and the cosmetics are an issue for most. Here,  I took a pic of a Launcher 6 and a Ke4 Max 6 so you can see the actual bulk of these next to each other. What would be a good idea is the Hybrid irons 5-7 then cavity backs 8-pw. I can tell you, these are equally easy to hit, however, when you hit one on the screws with the launcher, you get that hybrid feel and a bit more distance. You get a special feel when you have a standard iron you hit on the screws but thats not even something you have to value in a golf club. The "Best clubs" are often called subjective but I think MPF kind of does a good job of creating a scientific measure. Its interesting reading.

IMG_8474.jpg

IMG_8479.jpg

Edited by KOG

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

On 1/27/2023 at 10:26 AM, TheFonzzz said:

You cant beat the new KE4 Max for about $50 a club assembled, new lofts 30’ 7iron.

B5CF0843-9308-4C55-B1C0-5C01AAB55E07.png

These were forged, where exactly? 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

I have played a few Maltby heads. I've built clubs for around 30 years. Golfworks and Golfsmith were my go-tos for everything. But being a lefty has always limited my selection. My last few sets have been bigger OEMs that I reshaft and bend to fit me. My XTDs were bought for $20 per head and I used a less expensive shaft. I have less than $50 in each club. But age, arthritis, and a desire for something brand new are pushing me towards something different. Sub70 is a very intriguing option, especially when they offer several lefty options. Some black 699s would probably look sweet in Rod's golf bag...