TESTERS WANTED! ×

Would you use a Staff Bag?

bandwagon

I have two staff bags at home. 1 gets used to house my mini putter collection, the other is just sitting there. I have used one for a week and really liked the space it provided as I could jam just about anything I wanted it it. Tons of space and the clubs never seemed to get tangled. Not to mention it looked pretty good on a cart.

My question to you guys, is would you use a staff bag if you had one?

Nope......just too big. I almost always use a cart so am limited to the cart space.

I also have limited room in my car.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I buy and use bags based on 2 things, how well it holds the clubs and extras, and how many beers it fits in it's cooler pocket or pockets. That's it, cart bag, stand, staff bag..what ever!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Probably, at my home course where everyone knew me. But I would be hard pressed to take it on the road unless I could absolutely back it up. This last weekend we had a team tournament of something like the Ryder Cup Format. I did not participate because of another tournament that was scheduled for the same course (Ryder Cup was delayed a week because of rain, one tournament started on at 8 and one at 11.) There was a guy from out of town that was playing with his brother, who is a 1 or less handicap himself. This out of towner has a brand new Titleist Staff Bag with new Titleist 910 s and 712 MB's, 2 iron included, And this guy absolutely killed the ball. Only lost the tournament on the last hole when the other team eagled the par 4 18th.

My point is if you are going to look like a player, you should be one.

There is a 90's shooter who plays in the weekend pick up group and I did hear some one say one time, here comes Staff Bag Ben. The stranger with the staff bag, did get remarks early on about the bag but they stopped when he hit the first tee shot about 315 into a 18-20 mph wind. He later hit a 2 iron to the 310 yard par 4 10th with the wind but went off the back and had to settle fot birdie.

Edit: Change that to an absolutely not. Just realized staff bags do not have putter wells, I will not have my clubs banging into my copper putter. Period the end, So if I had one, I would need two.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I'd use one if it fits on a cart with enough room to spare for my partners bag. Probably not when pushing since they tend to be heavy and I want less weight then more.

I don't see why staff bags get people all riled up. It's just a bag people, why do you care what it looks like? If you need the extra space, you like the looks or it's lucky because it was made on your birthday or whatever other reason use it.

This concept of backing up the play to use a slightly larger bag is ridiculous. I have no idea why it happens but golfers titter worse then my wife's friends when they have a hen party.

"OMG, did you see Sally with that red dress? She looks like a street walker" is no different then "OMG, did you see Steve with that staff bag? Might as well get his name on it if he's such a pro"

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I am not getting paid by the company in which the bag is for and I do not pay a caddy to carry my equipment for me. I walk my home course 100% of the time when I go play other places and they offer walking then I walk. I don't like to ride in a golf cart unless I have to i tend to play better when I walk and not feel rushed to get my ball and hit.

So for me I have a push cart that I use but I try to keep the bag weight down as much as possible on the push cart, a staff bag might bend the dang wheels from the weight inwards towards the frame. A cart bag probably would work as well but, the carry bad is the least weight.

Always just use a carry bag and be done with it as I don't really pack beer or anything other then a couple things of water and some flavor packets. Probably gonna switch to tablets that were reviewed on MGS this summer and see how they do for flavor and getting energy back in my body.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• SPY VIP

I actually wish I had two or three of them. As you could imagine, I get a lot of clubs in for review, and keeping everything tidy is a problem. I'd love them just for storage purposes, and to use as background filler for pictures.

Never...never would I use one on a golf course.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I'm a walker/pusher as well -- probably wouldn't have use for one, although I do keep a stash of clubs in my office that are forever falling over....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I use an Infiniti staff bag (got free) except when I walk which is rare these days. If I travel I use my Clevland stand bag because they dont make car trunks like they used to

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• SPY VIP

Personally, I've got no issue with the staff bag. As others have said, I tend to walk/push so I wouldn't want to use one in that situation. If I'm riding, why not?

Exactly my reasoning. I'd guess I played 50 rounds last season. I think I took a cart 4 times (all tournaments where carts are included). Just not practical for walking.

Honestly though...when I see a guy put a giant staff bag on a cart, my first thought is "who does this a-hole thing he is".

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I have had several and always use the umbrella well for a putter well by using black PVC and a cap to create te putter well. I don't plan on playing in the rain so the umbrella is not needed. If I do play in the rain by accident, I keep a pullover and extra towels in my bag.

That said, I no longer have any staff bags. I prefer a stand bag right now because I'm walking as much as possible. I'm getting a Clic gear push cart so I won't need the stand bag, but I'll keep it cause I like its size.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

if i had a caddy everytime i played, or if i ride a motor cart everytime i dont care im gonna use a staff bag cus it looks so darn good. i dont care if im a 90 shooter as long as what im using makes me happy.

but that being said, i carry my bag or push it on a pull buggy almost everytime i play. lugging that will absolutely kill my game so im using a carry/stand bag.

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I have had several and always use the umbrella well for a putter well by using black PVC and a cap to create te putter well.

I thought I invented that. But I use a top and a bottom of an old putter well and have a piece of black PVC on my Titleist bag. My wife bought me a Callaway 14 Org, that was exactly like I wanted but it had a hard plastic edge that ate into graphite shafts. I bought two Titleist bags, and sold the Callaway and then made my own putter well. I covered it in a matching fabric and no one has said anything about yet.

Unlike the rest of you I ride most of the time. I would rather walk and play golf but because of my back I can not push or pull a cart for more than a few holes so I ride. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday I play with guys that walk. So I stay on the cart path and walk back and forth to the ball. That way I do not have to lug a bag.

I thought I invented that. But I use a top and a bottom of an old putter well and have a piece of black PVC on my Titleist bag. My wife bought me a Callaway 14 Org, that was exactly like I wanted but it had a hard plastic edge that ate into graphite shafts. I bought two Titleist bags, and sold the Callaway and then made my own putter well. I covered it in a matching fabric and no one has said anything about yet.

Unlike the rest of you I ride most of the time. I would rather walk and play golf but because of my back I can not push or pull a cart for more than a few holes so I ride. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday I play with guys that walk. So I stay on the cart path and walk back and forth to the ball. That way I do not have to lug a bag.

No way you invented it, lol. I've been using PVC for a while in staff bags too. And I tried the tubes, problem is the larger grips I use (Iomic Large, Super Stroke Ultra Slips, Scotty Pistolero, etc) tend to not want to fit very well into those tubes, so I use 1.5" ID PVC. Gives me wiggle room and a putter well. I cut it where it's even with the fabric for the umbrella holder so you can't even see the PVC.

I hate not having a putter well, one reason I don't like this TMX stand bag. That's my only problem with it honestly.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The Callaway was too short to use the longer grips so I modified it when I was using a long putter. Now I use the short putter again but it still works great. But trust me, I have 5 patents and the US Patent Office would not issue a patent to either of us on it, and the European Patent Office is even worse I am afraid this does not pass that threshold they set to issue a patent and besides we could not make enough money off of it to pay for the patent in the first place. So far I have paid more in attorney fees that I have taken home.

I own four staff bags from Titleist and not one of them has the ever seen time on the course. To me they are nice show pieces but not practical since I prefer to walk and carry my bag when I play. For prosperity sake I have not purchased any of them and they were all gifts from friends that were club pros with Titleist deals.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I own four staff bags from Titleist and not one of them has the ever seen time on the course. To me they are nice show pieces but not practical since I prefer to walk and carry my bag when I play. For prosperity sake I have not purchased any of them and they were all gifts from friends that were club pros with Titleist deals.

Apparently, I need to get better friends. Can I be your friend?:lol:

If I had a caddy or was always riding a cart, then yeah. I would definitely like more room to take out and put in clubs.

But since I'm always pushing/walking, I prefer the smaller cart bag.

I always wondered why PGA caddies don't use a push cart? Is it a rule, tradition or something?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Apparently, I need to get better friends. Can I be your friend?:lol:

Anyone with a long putter in the bag is automatically my friend.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I always wondered why PGA caddies don't use a push cart? Is it a rule, tradition or something?

Probably because the only people who would vote in favor of this are the caddies themselves :lol:. Unfortunately for them, the sponsor likes having their logos unobstructed by a push cart.

As for using a staff bag, I just think they're impractical and mainly for rich people who keep their clubs in the clubhouse lockers and never really carry their own bag.

Probably because the only people who would vote in favor of this are the caddies themselves :lol:. Unfortunately for them, the sponsor likes having their logos unobstructed by a push cart.

As for using a staff bag, I just think they're impractical and mainly for rich people who keep their clubs in the clubhouse lockers and never really carry their own bag.

There are other ways to make your sponsor logo stand out. The side that is covered by the push cart usually doesn't show anyways.

What about having a flag on the push cart with a huge logo?

Making the caddies' jobs easier could also improve their help (less fatigue, more concentration, etc)

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I would never use one just because its too big. I'm a walker/pusher and there's no way I'm gonna haul a tank like that around! Other than that if I had one and was riding or had a caddy, sure, why not?

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

There are other ways to make your sponsor logo stand out. The side that is covered by the push cart usually doesn't show anyways.

What about having a flag on the push cart with a huge logo?

Making the caddies' jobs easier could also improve their help (less fatigue, more concentration, etc)

Seriously, Tiger's Caddie made $66,000 last year and so far this year he has made $177,900 if he just makes 10%. Plus he probably makes endorsments. So what if he has to carry a freaking golf bag for 4 to 6 hours a day 4 days a week. He gets paid more money, and carries less weight, and with no one is shooting at him, which is more than you can say for any private in any army in the world. Fred Couples lets his girlfriend carry his bag for goodness sake. If it gets too heavy then they can go get a real job and carry out groceries or something.Mark Calcavecchia's wife caddies for him. I have difficulty working up much impathy for pro caddies. At one time Steve Williams was the second highest paid Golf Professionals.

No way you invented it, lol. I've been using PVC for a while in staff bags too. And I tried the tubes, problem is the larger grips I use (Iomic Large, Super Stroke Ultra Slips, Scotty Pistolero, etc) tend to not want to fit very well into those tubes, so I use 1.5" ID PVC. Gives me wiggle room and a putter well. I cut it where it's even with the fabric for the umbrella holder so you can't even see the PVC.

I hate not having a putter well, one reason I don't like this TMX stand bag. That's my only problem with it honestly.

can u guys post a photo tutorial how to make one of these? i hate putting my putter in with my woods keeps gettng stuck. thanksss

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Seriously, Tiger's Caddie made $66,000 last year and so far this year he has made $177,900 if he just makes 10%. Plus he probably makes endorsments. So what if he has to carry a freaking golf bag for 4 to 6 hours a day 4 days a week. He gets paid more money, and carries less weight, and with no one is shooting at him, which is more than you can say for any private in any army in the world. Fred Couples lets his girlfriend carry his bag for goodness sake. If it gets too heavy then they can go get a real job and carry out groceries or something.Mark Calcavecchia's wife caddies for him. I have difficulty working up much impathy for pro caddies. At one time Steve Williams was the second highest paid Golf Professionals.

You are basically saying their job shouldn't be easier because they are paid well enough?

Yes, carrying it 6 hours per day, 4 days per week is not a hard job. But assuming the performance does not decrease, why not make it easier? Less fatigue carrying and fumbling with the bag could mean more energy to focus on the next million dollar putt/shot.

With your argument, we wouldn't need many of the automated equipment we use on a daily basis, since the traditional way gets the job done too (just like the caddy!)

Why do we need ergonomic chairs at the office? We can just sit on wooden stools.

Why do we need a stove? Here's some timber... go make a fire.

I could go on and on...

It was just a question out of curiousity to the why it is the way it is. Some say it's because of the sponsors, others say it's faster since you can just carry the bag over the green, some say it's to maintain the tradition, etc.

First I am not agreeing that a push cart is easier than carrying it. I would rather carry than push a cart. Second I am saying that is their job. They get paid very well to lug that bag around. There are other parts to the job also but carrying the bag was how there jod started. Third I am saying that carrying the bag is not really all that difficult. They only carry it 300 yards before they set it down. It weighs 45 lbs. The rucksacks we carried were between 100-120 lbs and we did not set it down every 300 or less yards. Ok bubba watsons caddy has to carry it longer.

I know this sounds like"in my day we had to walk to school 20 miles up hill both ways in the snow ....". But this is their job. I am saying for the amount they get paid they can carry the bag.

However, as far as making it easier, they could all ride in carts that would make it easier. But once again I find myself not too worked up over it one way or the other. But for what they get paid to do it I think I would be happy to do it.

You're kinda losing me on this Rick. Is it REQUIRED that caddies carry clubs? I don't see why it would be but suspect that it probably is as I've never seen a caddy do anything else. I understand the requirement that a golfer walk, but what difference does it make how a caddy gets himself around the course much less how he gets the clubs around? Is there a rule regarding it?

As to whether pushing or carrying is easier, I would guess that carrying expends much more caloric energy than pushing as the weight of the clubs is borne by the body. If that is the case then by definition carrying is more work. Its a big part of the reason for the invention of the wheel. Now it may be that you find the carrying kind of work less tiresome than the pushing kind of work, or it could be that you just aren't used to it, or it could be that you're a little bit stubborn. For me, carrying the clubs would really limit the amount of golf I can play as that extra weight on my back over time just wreaks havoc on my lower back whereas I can push my clubs with no lower back issues at all. Could I get through 4 rounds caddying for a pro for a cut of the purse? You betcha, and if the pay were good enough, I wouldn't complain either, but I'd be wondering why I couldn't get a ClicGear sponsorship and push the clubs around!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• SPY VIP

You are basically saying their job shouldn't be easier because they are paid well enough?

Yes, carrying it 6 hours per day, 4 days per week is not a hard job. But assuming the performance does not decrease, why not make it easier? Less fatigue carrying and fumbling with the bag could mean more energy to focus on the next million dollar putt/shot.

With your argument, we wouldn't need many of the automated equipment we use on a daily basis, since the traditional way gets the job done too (just like the caddy!)

Why do we need ergonomic chairs at the office? We can just sit on wooden stools.

Why do we need a stove? Here's some timber... go make a fire.

I could go on and on...

It was just a question out of curiousity to the why it is the way it is. Some say it's because of the sponsors, others say it's faster since you can just carry the bag over the green, some say it's to maintain the tradition, etc.

I'll go a step beyond and suggest that in the modern era of golf, caddies are totally unnecessary. Seriously, why is this even a job?

I'm guessing 95+% of the courses where PGA events are held offer riding carts every other day of the season. A substantial percentage of those (certainly the resort courses) not only offer, but require carts. Lose the caddies, strap the bags to the carts and let the pros drive. Let's add another dimension to the game. How about the pros become 100% responsible for knowing their own yardages and reading their own putts?

I'll go a step beyond and suggest that in the modern era of golf, caddies are totally unnecessary. Seriously, why is this even a job?

I'm guessing 95+% of the courses where PGA events are held offer riding carts every other day of the season. A substantial percentage of those (certainly the resort courses) not only offer, but require carts. Lose the caddies, strap the bags to the carts and let the pros drive. Let's add another dimension to the game. How about the pros become 100% responsible for knowing their own yardages and reading their own putts?

What, and have to think about the game like we do? Why not also have the player research his clubs and figure out which are best for him by trial and error as well? :D

The caddy's main job is to be a field coach for the player, give them a second read on the greens, keep him in the right mental state, calculate yardages based on wind, moisture, and grass, and occasionally step beyond his bounds and put his foot in his mouth to give the public something to talk about. It's kind of like taking the coaches out of baseball when they're playing a game.