Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Would you use a Staff Bag?

bandwagon

Tyk got my point.

Player's should only be concerned about having their clubs available when needed and the advice caddies provide for yardage, greens, etc.

Does it matter how the caddy transports the bag?

Does it matter if he's reading the yardage from an old college block or the newest iPad?

Does it matter if he uses his feet, hands, eyes to read the slope?

I don't think so.

The reason they don't ride carts is because the players do not want to. They don't like the rush and quickness of riding a cart. Walking the fairways gives them a feel for the course and allows them to settle their tempo.

I think caddies are still necessary. Having someone handing over the clubs and course information is much faster than doing it yourself and allows you to focus 100% on playing golf.

Again, the caddy is being paid for transporting the equipment and providing his know-how. As to which method he uses, I don't think it influences the quality of service provided.

This has nothing to do with how many yards they have to carry it, how much a bag weighs, how difficult it is, etc.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• SPY VIP

The reason they don't ride carts is because the players do not want to. They don't like the rush and quickness of riding a cart. Walking the fairways gives them a feel for the course and allows them to settle their tempo.

Drive slow....or sure...let's go with the push cart option. Or maybe these jackwagons with their bags that are 4x the size they need to be could just carry them themselves.

I think caddies are still necessary. Having someone handing over the clubs and course information is much faster than doing it yourself and allows you to focus 100% on playing golf.

Again, the caddy is being paid for transporting the equipment and providing his know-how. As to which method he uses, I don't think it influences the quality of service provided.

Knowing the course, yardages, and which club to play, whether to draw or fade, go high, or go low, flop it or run it...these are all part of the game. These are decisions we all make on our own. No reason why the best in the world needs have help the rest of us don't.

My point is eliminating the caddie (and I don't actually see this ever happening), adds a new dimension to the game. Being able to look at a flag and know the distance (adjusted for slope, etc.) is a skill, and one I think should be 100% the responsibility of the players.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Is there a rule about caddies having to carry?

I'd like them to ban caddies from the green! Its a putt, if you can't figure speed and direction, then you can't putt. On the LPGA pretty much all of those girls have their caddies right behind them lining them up and aiming for them! You don't see that alot on the PGA Tour yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't mind a caddy for handing and cleaning clubs, wiping balls, giving yardage and even talking club selection and shot strategy on the course, but it does bug me on the greens where really a big part of whether or not a person is a good putter is dependent on how well they read greens. Hell, I can bring it straight back and straight through, if I had someone tell me the read every time my putting and scoring would improve noticeably.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Yup, to that extent I agree with you guys.

But it's very hard to draw a line to what almost counts as "easy mode" and it probably won't change either.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

My point about carrying vs pushing is that when I did walk and golf I prefered to carry the clubs which did not hurt my back to pushing the cart, which did hurt my back. I do not know why, I just know that it did. Also, when you carry you can go in a straight line to the ball. With a push cart you have to pick your path.

My second point is, these people have a great job. They get paid well, and do nothing, absolutely nothing that the average golfer can not do if they were caddying for a person they new well. Maybe not average golfer but the lower handicap golfer could not do.

Third, I have no problem with them riding carts, using gps, and playing just like the weekend golfer. There have been many times I wanted a second opinion on a putt, but could not ask and even if I did I would not expect a truthful answer. This is a huge advantage. But I say give the players a cart, a wet towel, and a bottle of sand, let them clean there own clubs, refill their own divots, and wipe there own balls.

I am not sure it would speed up pace of play because anyone who has ever been to a PGA Tournament knows how freaking long these guy take around the green. For that reason alone kills the argument that they want to walk because they do not want to be rushed. All day long yesterday I had plenty of time, more than plenty, of time to think about my shot, and text my wife, and read what was happening on this site. It took 5:45 to play 18 holes, I typically play 27 holes and have lunch in 5 1/2 hours.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I have a buddy who not only has a TM Staff bag, he's got his name stitched on it..He also plays an 8* driver..And he's a 29 hdcp..Yep..The bag I can live with cuz, hey, it's his bag & he loves it..It's the 8* driver that get's me..He says the pro "fit" him w/it & so the pro "knew what he was doing"..I play a 10.5* & he won't even hit mine..I'd love to talk to this pro and ask him what the hell he was thinking

Totally off topic but what he was thinking is that your buddy hits waaaay down on the driver creating a lot of spin and thus creating spin loft. Getting lower loft on the driver reduces the initial spin and LA which when added to the spin the player puts on it makes it a more reasonable number. I know when I was first fit I had a negative attack angle of 4 degrees with the driver so the fitter stuck me in a 7.5 head with a super stiff tipped shaft. Then I started fixing my swing and moved back to a more reasonable loft.

For example someone who swings at say 100mph with a negative 5 attack angle has a standard launch angle of probably 8ish degrees. But they're also likely to be putting upwards of 4000rpm of spin on the ball which creates a spin loft launch of 16 degrees. Drop the loft on the driver 2 degrees with a stiff tip shaft and you could cut say 500 to 800RPM off that and get them into a more reasonable 13/14 launch once spin is factored in.

I'll go a step beyond and suggest that in the modern era of golf, caddies are totally unnecessary. Seriously, why is this even a job?

I'm guessing 95+% of the courses where PGA events are held offer riding carts every other day of the season. A substantial percentage of those (certainly the resort courses) not only offer, but require carts. Lose the caddies, strap the bags to the carts and let the pros drive. Let's add another dimension to the game. How about the pros become 100% responsible for knowing their own yardages and reading their own putts?

+800 on the bold. I'd rather see caddies keep going. They let the pro's, especially those that are basketcases, do what they do to fantastic levels. No caddies probably means the standard of play dipps for a lot of them which is a side effect I'm not comfortable with.

However carts to make rounds not take 5+ hours should be stuck in. Blah blah blah walking tradition, etc, etc. Stacey Lewis recently said it best when she came out with "5 hour rounds are not fun for anyone. Not for us, the caddies or the fans". Damn skippy I say to that. Anything that keeps Crane, Na and company from destroying coverage of any final day where they're near the end has to be a good thing.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I don't think they could use carts effectively at most tour events what with the galleries clogging the paths and I'm sure they don't want the carts on the fairways. Could you imagine "cart path only" with carts during a tour event? That would be horrible! I don't think they're slow because they're walking, there's just too many slow players with unforgivable pre-shot routines that play slow because they can.

• SPY VIP

I don't think they could use carts effectively at most tour events what with the galleries clogging the paths and I'm sure they don't want the carts on the fairways. Could you imagine "cart path only" with carts during a tour event? That would be horrible! I don't think they're slow because they're walking, there's just too many slow players with unforgivable pre-shot routines that play slow because they can.

Not sure what it's like in other parts of the country but around here the nicer courses (Saratoga National, Turning Stone) actually ask that you keep the carts in the fairway as much as possible. Most ask that try to avoid driving in the rough.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

The evolution of this thread has been pretty interesting. I think caddies do provide a service, though it's probably almost entirely in a mentally supportive role to a lot of tour players (in addition to the club cleaning). Totally agree with the no caddies on the greens comments. Personally, I would hate to see carts running around the course on tour events, and agree that it's not really practical. As for the topic, I walk 99% of the time and so would not carry a staff bag. I think they look great and could probably carry every piece of golf gear I own, plus a six pack, but talk about impractical. I'll stick with my Sun Mountain stand bag and, occasionally, a push cart. Not sure what my reaction would be if someone in my foursome showed up with a staff bag. If we were walking I would probably just think he was crazy to carry such a big, heavy bag.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Put golfers in carts, enforce pace of play=more attractive to TV and makes more folks think the game doesn't take forever toplay, and maybe grow the game in the process.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Not sure what it's like in other parts of the country but around here the nicer courses (Saratoga National, Turning Stone) actually ask that you keep the carts in the fairway as much as possible. Most ask that try to avoid driving in the rough.

very true. Saratoga National prefers that you stay in the fairway and not in the rough. Albany Country Club was the same way, unless it's wet.

I don't think walking speeds up play. It can if the course is set up with long hikes between greens and tee boxes, but it seems to me that on those holes with long walks the players already hop on a cart for that stretch anyhow don't they?

I walk, along with many of my regular playing group, and we have no trouble keeping up with or outpacing groups in carts. A twosome in a cart is slower than walkers. Singles in their own cart is about the only thing faster than walking imo, which I guess the pros would be singles in carts if they rode, but I still don't think getting to the ball is what is making the pros take so long. Its slow play in general, interminable pre-shot routines, taking forever to even address the ball, and waiting forever for rulings from officials for rules these guys should already know. They play the game for a living, why don't they know the rules?

I'd rather see the tour promote walking as a healthy enjoyable way to play instead of encouraging cart use. Plus, they're never going to put the pros in carts I don't think. Look at the reaction to letting Casey Martin ride.

• SPY VIP

I don't think walking speeds up play. It can if the course is set up with long hikes between greens and tee boxes, but it seems to me that on those holes with long walks the players already hop on a cart for that stretch anyhow don't they?

I walk, along with many of my regular playing group, and we have no trouble keeping up with or outpacing groups in carts. A twosome in a cart is slower than walkers. Singles in their own cart is about the only thing faster than walking imo, which I guess the pros would be singles in carts if they rode, but I still don't think getting to the ball is what is making the pros take so long. Its slow play in general, interminable pre-shot routines, taking forever to even address the ball, and waiting forever for rulings from officials for rules these guys should already know. They play the game for a living, why don't they know the rules?

I'd rather see the tour promote walking as a healthy enjoyable way to play instead of encouraging cart use. Plus, they're never going to put the pros in carts I don't think. Look at the reaction to letting Casey Martin ride.

We should probably all apologize to Bandwagon for this mother of a threadjack, but...

It's not so much a matter of whether you walk or ride, but rather HOW you walk or ride. You all know what I'm talking about.

You have the riders who methodically move from ball to ball. There's no dropping off and driving on to the next one. It's hit one ball, then drive to the next, and the next and the next.

I've also see walkers who rather than scatter, follow each other all over the golf course like lemmings. That's slow too.

Seriously, someone thinks walking is faster than riding? Well, that might be the case when you double up and ride two to a cart. I forget that typically if we have 5 players we have 4 carts, and 6 players 5 or 6 carts. Most have their own and since those that don't only have to pay $4 more they usually get their own. It is much faster. We come over the hill it looks like the German's driving through Poland.

If the pros were to ride in carts then the caddie could be the driver, they could get golf cart sponsors, Callaway could buy Club Car, and TMag EzGo. Of course Callaway and Lamborghini would team up. TMag, can have a commercial that says, "Our new BrassBalls Driver, Fairway Woods, and Golf cart not only 17 yards longer, but we can now get you to your ball in 3.9 seconds,

Phil Mickelson can claim a victory for Callaway not only because the new Callaway Hex Black cut through the winds better than the others, but also because with the new Lambo Golf Cart, they were able to make the turn faster.

This just in, Bubba is hiring some guy named Junior to not only be his caddie/driver but also his mechanic. Junior said, "We gonna put that thang on 'er and see what we cain't git a liddle moe pep oudda her." When asked what he had done to it he said, "Its a Chevorlet motor and we worked on it."

Now that is a thread jack.:P

Our course makes people pair up on carts. 5 singles in 5 carts isn't going to happen. I guess if they wanted to pay extra to do so they could, but we don't even have a posted rate for that. If I remember correctly though Rick don't you own your cart? Our course doesn't allow individuals to bring their own carts either. I did state that singles in their own carts would be faster. I've never seen walkers follow each other around the course instead of scatter to their own ball. That would just be stupid. Most walkers are far more economical with their steps.

Our club allows private ownership of carts. We have to pay a higher fee every month and believe me owning a cart is a lot of work. It is nice to drive up to the door drop your clubs and put them in a clean cart. Rather than cleaning it yourself I put on new brakes today. All but 4 of my regular partners have their own carts. Sometimes those that do not will ride together but sometimes they do not.

can u guys post a photo tutorial how to make one of these? i hate putting my putter in with my woods keeps gettng stuck. thanksss

Ninja I have posted a WITB/DIY photos of my bag. I did not take pictures during the process so all I could do is tell what I did and post some pictures. Maybe Rookie, who obviously copies everything I do, :P will have different ideas on how to do it.

If my mini staff bag fits on the push cart I may use it. I'm not worried about what people think because I can hold my own. Besides it's just a great looking bag IMO

31EJ79GlVyL._AA300_.jpg

Gotta admit, that is a pretty good looking bag. I'd be interested to know if it works on the push/pull cart. The stand bag works on my push cart, but it would be nice to have a little room to spread out when I'm not carrying the bag. Not that I need more stuff.

STX xForm 3, 35"

Seriously, someone thinks walking is faster than riding? Well, that might be the case when you double up and ride two to a cart. I forget that typically if we have 5 players we have 4 carts, and 6 players 5 or 6 carts. Most have their own and since those that don't only have to pay $4 more they usually get their own. It is much faster. We come over the hill it looks like the German's driving through Poland.

This is hilarious. But for most of us I'm guessing it's two to a cart and walking can definitely be much faster. You all know how frustrating it is to walk behind a foursome in carts who move from one ball to the next as a group and have no concept of the drop off, being ready to hit when it's your turn, etc. Maddening.

STX xForm 3, 35"

When I'm riding I usually insist on driving, wherever practical I will park at the midway point between our balls and we'll walk from there and meet back at the cart or if one gets back first we'll go pick up the other. When I'm walking, especially with riders, I often feel like I'm pulling my group behind me. I'm almost always first to the tee box and first to the green. I know my course and the best and fastest way to walk it.

No way I would ever ride when its cart path only. You walk almost just as much and its way slower to ride especially if you're a single in cart.

I don't have a staff bag (yet). And I would most definitely use one if I had one. Irrelevant what others think. I like their look, their 6 way divider, their stowing space and so on ... I'll let you in on a little dark secret, I've been a bit in love with the orange Puma staff bag since I saw it in real life ;-)

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

Golfspy T

That my friend would be great to see even if was 1/2 tournaments a year, also no crowds let them look for their own ball in the trees !!!

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

I like Staff bags and used them back when they were more available. With the giant heads on woods, and their covers these days, it's rather difficult to find the slot for a club. These days an 8" bag is about as large as you can have. That's probably because here in the Philippines, we get most of our bags from the States. There is no problem about the weight because we are required to hire a caddy per player regardless of walking or cart ride. The caddy acts as a diplomatic enforcer of club rules and is a witness if the club marshal's intervention is ever needed for player misbehavior. The caddy also picks up dropped or lost articles if they are seen along the way and hands them over to the flight ahead at the end of the round or earlier if the caddy from the flight ahead comes back looking for whatever was lost. Otherwise, just the norm of fixing divots and ball marks, cleaning the clubs and giving whatever information the player asks for.

Shambles

• 8 years later...
I just copped this dope Cleveland staff bag and I’m a low 90’s high 80’s guy. Don’t have to be good to look good. Go ahead and laugh when I hit my tee shot into the water twice in a row. You’re just jealous of my bag. 

The award for thread archeologist goes to this guy...lol

I carried a staff bag for a few years, both were because of events I played in with another golf forum and the bag was part of the prize...always got lots of looksIMG_0077.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I use a kick-ass red, white and blue Miller mini-staff bag... to hold old clubs in my garage.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino