Jump to content

Help Us Start An Annual Tradition!


Recommended Posts

Hey All,

Hope this finds everyone well!  So I was very fortunate enough to be an athlete in college, graduated 2 years ago. There is a group of 8 of us that played together and are transitioning over into the golf game! We're split pretty evenly between NYC and Boston, and looking to come together annually for a golf trip, this summer being our first.  So two things:

First) I thought it would be fun to document the process of pulling this thing together as a bunch of 24-25 year old amateurs

Second) We would love ANY AND ALL recommendations for where we go on this first trip

I'm probably the biggest golf nerd in the group and know course architecture and the best resorts well across the US.  However, it's important to keep in mind we're young and none of us come from much; we're looking to do this thing on a NLU "Strapped" type budget.  Not really, but we can't do Bandon, for example.

So again, we'd love to bring you guys along for the ride here.  To get started, any big recommendations, particularly eastern half of the United States?  My first little shortlist (subject to change) is Northern Michigan and Myrtle/Hilton Head. We'll probably try to make it happen in June or July.  Appreciate everything and excited to try and get this tradition off the ground.

PEG_4929.jpg

  • Like 3

Taylormade M1 
Mizuno GT 180 3W
Cobra Rad Speed 5W
Mizuno Pro 225
Vokey SM7s
Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line
Srixon Z Star XV (Align xl)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2023 at 11:59 AM, Invader Zim 315 said:

Hey All,

Hope this finds everyone well!  So I was very fortunate enough to be an athlete in college, graduated 2 years ago. There is a group of 8 of us that played together and are transitioning over into the golf game! We're split pretty evenly between NYC and Boston, and looking to come together annually for a golf trip, this summer being our first.  So two things:

First) I thought it would be fun to document the process of pulling this thing together as a bunch of 24-25 year old amateurs

Second) We would love ANY AND ALL recommendations for where we go on this first trip

I'm probably the biggest golf nerd in the group and know course architecture and the best resorts well across the US.  However, it's important to keep in mind we're young and none of us come from much; we're looking to do this thing on a NLU "Strapped" type budget.  Not really, but we can't do Bandon, for example.

So again, we'd love to bring you guys along for the ride here.  To get started, any big recommendations, particularly eastern half of the United States?  My first little shortlist (subject to change) is Northern Michigan and Myrtle/Hilton Head. We'll probably try to make it happen in June or July.  Appreciate everything and excited to try and get this tradition off the ground.

PEG_4929.jpg

Sounds like a great idea! As a former college athlete myself, kudos to you guys for working to keeping the friendships alive with your teammates.

 

For the golf, I have not been to Myrtle Beach to golf but have been for work and was not impressed with the town at all. On the other hand, I have been to Hilton Head twice, once for family vacation and once for work. It is a great place in general with some dynamite courses that can range from cheaper to PGA stops (Harbortown). I played Old South in Bluffton (right across the bay) and it was great and not expensive at all. I believe you can play all 3 Harbortown courses with stay for around $1k but can definitely do cheaper than that as well.  The food there is really good as are the beaches and overall vibe. 

 

We do an annual golf trip and might be going there next year, so if you go there let me know how you enjoy it! 

  • Like 2

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been to to Myrtle Beach on guys trips too many times to count. Our group started doing this in our 20's and we are now in our 60's. There are 90 courses and lots of after golf places to go. There are great stay and play package deals where they throw in free lunch and beer. Sometimes another free afternoon round. North Myrtle is our favored stay area. Also plenty of nice courses. South has many Plantation courses and generally the higher priced courses. Central is the hub of activity. To busy for me but there are some nice courses in central as well.

Hilton Head is generally higher in price. Do your homework and shop the deals. mygolfvacation.com is a rough reference point. Myrtle has quite a few package providers. 

I go at least once a year and have played about 1 /2 the courses. You can also get cheap flights there through Spirit and Allegiant.

Search the forum. There were other posts with guys asking about Myrtle Beach with lots of suggestions.

  • Like 1

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have been to to Myrtle Beach on guys trips too many times to count. Our group started doing this in our 20's and we are now in our 60's. There are 90 courses and lots of after golf places to go. There are great stay and play package deals where they throw in free lunch and beer. Sometimes another free afternoon round. North Myrtle is our favored stay area. Also plenty of nice courses. South has many Plantation courses and generally the higher priced courses. Central is the hub of activity. To busy for me but there are some nice courses in central as well.

Hilton Head is generally higher in price. Do your homework and shop the deals. mygolfvacation.com is a rough reference point. Myrtle has quite a few package providers. 

I go at least once a year and have played about 1 /2 the courses. You can also get cheap flights there through Spirit and Allegiant.

Search the forum. There were other posts with guys asking about Myrtle Beach with lots of suggestions.

 

I would agree with Tom here, as I have also been to Myrtle Beach numerous times.

As far as your mention of Michigan courses, seeing how I have lived here my whole life, I can say that your expenses to travel here may be similar to the costs to travel to  Myrtle Beach, but the costs for both places to stay and course fees will be much higher here in Michigan, especially if you plan to go to the "special courses" here in both the northern or western side of  the state. 

As far as trips to the Myrtle Beach area, I too stay in North Myrtle Beach, as you can get to most of the courses within an hour drive even in the months where tourism is highest. Typically, I plan my trips for either in the spring (March-April) or fall (September-October) time periods where both the rates are lower, and the number of tourists has reduced.

Whatever you decide, it is a great thing to do to keep the camaraderie and friendship bonds going! 👍

  

  • Like 1

Driver & Fairway: Titleist TSi3 10 degree  - Ventus Black 5S & TS3 15 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 

Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 - Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged - Nippon Modus 120

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54, and 60

Putter: Cameron Phantom  X 5

Ball: Pro V1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome, appreciate the responses already everybody!  Sounds like Myrtle may be a good first stop!

Also, those were just a few rough ideas for locations.  I'm going to dig through the forum for some other thoughts and ideas, but we're also open to any and all recommendation.

 

Thanks again all

Taylormade M1 
Mizuno GT 180 3W
Cobra Rad Speed 5W
Mizuno Pro 225
Vokey SM7s
Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line
Srixon Z Star XV (Align xl)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Invader Zim 315 said:

Awesome, appreciate the responses already everybody!  Sounds like Myrtle may be a good first stop!

Also, those were just a few rough ideas for locations.  I'm going to dig through the forum for some other thoughts and ideas, but we're also open to any and all recommendation.

 

Thanks again all

Sounds like a lot of fun!  Curious... How long are you planning to stay?  Is this a week-long trip or a long weekend?  

I played Myrtle a few times; last time was about 8 years ago.  I friend of mine from Albuquerque turned 50 and wanted a golf trip for his birthday.  We had a foursome that stayed and played in Myrtle; 10 courses in 6 days for a cost of less than $1K per person.  I'm sure it's more now but we stayed at Pawleys Plantation and it included breakfast.  The advantage of Myrtle is that you can stay in one place and play a lot of different courses, which not always easy at other locations.  Of all the courses I played in Myrtle, the one I would least likely play again is the TPC Myrtle Beach.

If the trip is shorter than a week, it might be easier and less expensive for a first trip to look closer at places in the Northeast or mid-Atlantic where driving would be a better option.  Many locations have stay and play packages with access to a few courses.  I've found that with a group, it can be fun to play a couple of courses more than once to gain familiarity.  

  • Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2023 at 11:18 AM, Kenny B said:

Sounds like a lot of fun!  Curious... How long are you planning to stay?  Is this a week-long trip or a long weekend?  

I played Myrtle a few times; last time was about 8 years ago.  I friend of mine from Albuquerque turned 50 and wanted a golf trip for his birthday.  We had a foursome that stayed and played in Myrtle; 10 courses in 6 days for a cost of less than $1K per person.  I'm sure it's more now but we stayed at Pawleys Plantation and it included breakfast.  The advantage of Myrtle is that you can stay in one place and play a lot of different courses, which not always easy at other locations.  Of all the courses I played in Myrtle, the one I would least likely play again is the TPC Myrtle Beach.

If the trip is shorter than a week, it might be easier and less expensive for a first trip to look closer at places in the Northeast or mid-Atlantic where driving would be a better option.  Many locations have stay and play packages with access to a few courses.  I've found that with a group, it can be fun to play a couple of courses more than once to gain familiarity.  

Likely just an extended weekend - either Thursday or Friday to Saturday.  

 

Myrtle seems quite doable - another we've begun to take a peak at is Turning Stone in Upstate NY which is closer as you mentioned.

 

If anyone sees this that has played up there, would love some insight into the Champions Package and the experience!

  • Like 1

Taylormade M1 
Mizuno GT 180 3W
Cobra Rad Speed 5W
Mizuno Pro 225
Vokey SM7s
Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line
Srixon Z Star XV (Align xl)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2023 at 12:59 PM, Invader Zim 315 said:

Hey All,

Hope this finds everyone well!  So I was very fortunate enough to be an athlete in college, graduated 2 years ago. There is a group of 8 of us that played together and are transitioning over into the golf game! We're split pretty evenly between NYC and Boston, and looking to come together annually for a golf trip, this summer being our first.  So two things:

Since you indicated you are doing it in the summer, and only for a 2-3 day, one place in your state would be Holiday Valley Ski Resort, yes they have a golf course.  It is very picturesque , very nice course.  You can stay in the main lodge, or they have a smaller lodge at the bottom of the hill with indoor/outdoor pool, that is open in the cold weather(FYI).  Or their are numerous small condos right there to be rented in the summer which can sleep up to 8 or so, or less.  Lastly the small town of Ellicottville is within walking distance of the condos.  It's about a mile. There are many restaurants, and bars, and places for dinner and breakfast.  The place is PACKED in the winter time!!!  FYI I went on trip with 12 guys there in Sept. about 3 years ago.  2 condo's 6 guys each, 4 rounds  of golf..1 Friday, 2 Saturday, 1 Sunday Morning($340 per), then drive home... Shorter drive only about 2.5 hours for me in NE Ohio.  If you want to depart your own state, then N. Myrtle is a good deal.  Note that it is cheapest in summer time because it is hot!!!  (But you guys are young so no problem with that!)

Edited by stuka44
  • Like 1

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Myrtle Beach is one of the best "budget" golf destinations, lots of golf, lots of pricing options, lots of different styles of lodging, and lots of "nightlife".  Slightly closer for you guys is Pinehurst, again lots of great golf, both at the Pinehurst Resort and at the neighboring facilities.  The biggest difference, a lot less nightlife in Pinehurst.  A lot closer to you is the Ocean City, MD area.  Some really good golf, lots of nightlife, but in the summer it might be a bit difficult with all the beach tourism.  Away from the crowds you could look at Penn National, 36 holes near Fayetteville PA.  There's a Jack Nicklaus course and a casino at Rocky Gap, in western Maryland.  We could come up with lots more, you guys might want to order your priorities:

Golf, style, fame, difficulty

Lodging, VRBO house, hotel, resort-style apartment

Dining and nightlife, including "adult" entertainment

Casino gambling

 

  • Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...