Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Being unreasonable about fitted irons delivery?

I'm coming back to the game after more than a decade off, so figured it was time to get some clubs appropriate to my body and skill level.

Fitted first week of November. Fitter knew I wanted clubs sooner than later so only really hit clubs they said would be available. Woods and hybrids showed up within a week or so.

Ended up with Cobra LTDx 1 degree flat for irons. 

Checked in early December that it wasn't shaft or grip choices holding them up as I had no problem changing them, turned out the heads were on backorder. Supposed to be available end of December and delivered within a week or two.

Still no news two and a half months after order.

Time to cut bait? Was also fit into Ping G710 and Taylormade Stealth, avoided Ping due to lead times. Don't know what they're like now.

5 hours ago, GGjdhbs said:

I'm coming back to the game after more than a decade off, so figured it was time to get some clubs appropriate to my body and skill level.

Fitted first week of November. Fitter knew I wanted clubs sooner than later so only really hit clubs they said would be available. Woods and hybrids showed up within a week or so.

Checked in early December that it wasn't shaft or grip choices holding them up as I had no problem changing them, turned out the heads were on backorder. Supposed to be available end of December and delivered within a week or two.

Time to cut bait? Was also fit into Ping G710 and Taylormade Stealth, avoided Ping due to lead times. Don't know what they're like now.

Sorry to hear about this. It does suck, and there have been stories from many having who have had to wait way way too long for clubs. 

I guess it is worth asking if other than them being 1 flat if there was something special about the clubs you ordered? If not maybe there is a possibility of getting in in shop set and just having them bent 1 flat?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

10 minutes ago, GGjdhbs said:

Hmm, so I’m confirming what the stock shafts are I see that the Canadian site has the LTDx irons completely removed and the USA site only has a one length combo set, all the other LTDx irons removed. 

Not surprising since the new aero jet has come out now unfortunately.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

19 minutes ago, GGjdhbs said:

Hmm, so I’m confirming what the stock shafts are I see that the Canadian site has the LTDx irons completely removed and the USA site only has a one length combo set, all the other LTDx irons removed. 

Is there a way they could just put you into the new Aerojet irons bent to 1-flat at no charge?  I know you haven't hit them, but by all accounts they seem to be an improvement on the LTDs (even if marginally).  Might be worth a flyer?

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I called Cobra and they said the LTDx are not discontinued, it’s just website maintenance. Also the heads are available so I dunno what’s going on with my order. Waiting for a call back. 

Currently I have second hand fitted clubs that are about opposite of what I need so I don’t really want to build bad habits around them. I don’t want to be an impatient customer but I also did ask to get clubs relatively soon. 

I don’t think you are being unreasonable if you’re not getting straight answers. If you’re looking to change to Ping, my fitter told me late last year when I ordered a driver that Ping says 4 weeks but they usually turn it around in 2, which is exactly what ended up happening. Granted, I only ordered one club with a stock shaft and grip, so a set of irons may be different. 

Hopefully you’ll get a straightforward answer. A little underwhelming of a start for some fresh irons, around the holidays I could see a little extra time being needed but for a relative straightforward set I would think they could turn it around quickly.  Maybe the place where you were fitted can get you some clarity with the rep they deal with

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Communication between the manufacturer and the fitter/customer seems to be an issue for the past couple of years, unfortunately.  As in not updating lead times, not returning calls/emails in anything remotely resembling a reasonable period of time.  I wish, and that's all it is, a wish, that businesses would realize that when we have a good experience with a business we tend to tell, on average, 3-4 people.  When, on the other hand, the experience is negative we average sharing it with 12 people.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

2 hours ago, Golfer56744 said:

I don’t think you are being unreasonable if you’re not getting straight answers. If you’re looking to change to Ping, my fitter told me late last year when I ordered a driver that Ping says 4 weeks but they usually turn it around in 2, which is exactly what ended up happening. Granted, I only ordered one club with a stock shaft and grip, so a set of irons may be different. 

Yeah, I ended up in G425 for driver and hybrids, they came pretty quickly. 

Apparently Ping doesn’t offer the shaft I did best with in the G710. I told the fitter that Cobra claims to have the heads in stock so he’s got a call out to see what’s up. I’ll see what comes out of it, if Cobra can get them out the door soon I’ll wait. If it’s a black hole of unknown delays I’ll move on. It’s almost worth another iron fitting to swing the 2023 stuff at this point. 

It's not unreasonable to ask for an update.  You've been patient and you're paying good money for a set of clubs that you special ordered...

Let's not lose sight of the most important part of this...club manufacturers exist explicitly to fulfill orders...when they are unable to deliver, they should be questioned...IMO, using covid supply chain as an excuse is tired. 

This opinion stems from my own recent experience from last spring.

I was fuming mad when my Mizuno 223 irons arrived last year out of spec.  I set the 9 down and immediately knew it was way flat.  Obnoxiously out of spec.

I worked at this shop 20 years ago and know a lot of the guys who still work there.  Rather then send them back, I asked if I could just go back into the workshop and bend them myself.  30 minutes later and I was back in business. 

I blew up Mizuno on socials and the only reply I received was "we're sorry your clubs were out of spec.  Please contact the retailer and they'll make the necessary changes."  

Essentially, told me to go s in my hat.  

Makes me wish I'd gone with the Callaway's that were neck and neck with these ones...

BTW...here's how they arrived vs what they are after I bent them...

3 59 lie 19 loft - Now 61 lie 19 loft

4 60 lie 22 loft - Now 61 lie 22 loft

5 60 lie 25 loft - Now 61 lie 25 loft

6 60 lie 28 loft - Now 61 lie 28 loft

7 61 lie 33 loft - Now 62 lie 32 loft

8 61 lie 36 loft - Now 62 lie 36 loft

9 60 lie 42 loft - Now 63 lie 42 loft

P 62 lie 47 loft - Now 64 lie 47 loft

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 4 weeks later...

Well, supposedly I am getting them next week. Cobra (intentionally I'd be willing to bet) did not answer the retailer until the clubs were "in production."

The retailer is giving me 20% back on the clubs and a few other promo items. I think that's fair and I don't think it's their fault at all.

However, this doesn't reflect well on Cobra as a brand and next time around I will just tell the fitter to skip them.

12 hours ago, GGjdhbs said:

Well, supposedly I am getting them next week. Cobra (intentionally I'd be willing to bet) did not answer the retailer until the clubs were "in production."

The retailer is giving me 20% back on the clubs and a few other promo items. I think that's fair and I don't think it's their fault at all.

However, this doesn't reflect well on Cobra as a brand and next time around I will just tell the fitter to skip them.

I hope ‘next week’ turns out to be next week.  I don’t know what retailer/fitter you gave your business to but in reading through this thread, I’m left with the impression the onus was on you to ask for status updates. I would hope your fitter/retailer would have kept up with the pressure with Cobra and provide you updates without you having to go search for your own answers and prompt the fitter/retailer.  When things like that happen to me, I get the impression they simply don’t care. Like @Bobberssaid, you will tell more people about your poor experience. 

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

It has been hard for so many OEMs for a while. I am hoping that we are nearing the end of these stories, but likely that there will always be those fall through the cracks. 

Never a bad thing to ask about where they are at or look to have a follow up. 

Often it just sucks that there are little answers and the shop ends up being the middle man with no real answers. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

On 1/17/2023 at 10:12 AM, GGjdhbs said:

vampire survivors

It depends on what you prioritize as a golfer. If you are in dire need of the clubs, it might be best to cut bait and look for alternative options that can get you the clubs in a timely manner. On the other hand, if you are specifically interested in the Cobra LTDx 1 degree flat irons and willing to wait, you could continue to wait for the backordered heads to arrive.