TESTERS WANTED! ×

Look Inside: The Callaway FT-iZ Driver

GolfSpy_X

I just can't get used to the triangle drivers.. The Burner a few years ago turned me away. I like a traditional shape. I hat the square drivers as well..

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I hit this thing over the weekend, man it bombs the ball, and has a good solid sound, not the old clank.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I hit this thing over the weekend, man it bombs the ball, and has a good solid sound, not the old clank.

Everyone keeps telling me this thing is great and I really hate to hear that. Thankfully, I bought my driver for the next two years (R9 460) last fall. Much as I love putters, I do not ho drivers, I just beat one until it dies.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I was kind of hoping you guys had taken a band saw to a new Callaway! There's still time for that you know?

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

iMix version?

(Fingers crossed)

Imix will be available, for the same price... YIPPEE!!!!

Awesome stick.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Imix will be available, for the same price... YIPPEE!!!!

Awesome stick.

You mean that I get to pay the same for just the head as I would a glued head and shaft? yippie

What are the shafts?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

You mean that I get to pay the same for just the head as I would a glued head and shaft? yippie

What are the shafts?

My understanding is that the stock head and shaft combo in I-mix will be the same cost as the Glued version. All the same I-mix shafts are available, and old shafts will work.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

My understanding is that the stock head and shaft combo in I-mix will be the same cost as the Glued version. All the same I-mix shafts are available, and old shafts will work.

Can you buy just the head at a reduced price though?

Volvo Intorqueo

Can you buy just the head at a reduced price though?

I am sure that you can. As far as the pricing... ????? we did SOOOOOO bad with I-mix last time, It could be awhile before we cross that bridge again.

• SPY VIP

I am sure that you can. As far as the pricing... ????? we did SOOOOOO bad with I-mix last time, It could be awhile before we cross that bridge again.

Do you think that it is a rougher sell too because of the lack of adjustment in the imix system vs. the others?

Volvo Intorqueo

Nah.... People who buy that club have almost no interest in changing shafts to fit the conditions. They are looking for a bag status symbol. "Look fellas.. I got the Newest Callaway" They could care less that the wind is blowing 40 mph and the ground is rock hard, so a higher kick-stiffer tip shaft, just might help..... nope. all about the name.

Nah.... People who buy that club have almost no interest in changing shafts to fit the conditions. They are looking for a bag status symbol. "Look fellas.. I got the Newest Callaway" They could care less that the wind is blowing 40 mph and the ground is rock hard, so a higher kick-stiffer tip shaft, just might help..... nope. all about the name.

Do you feel like this is true of people who buy Callaway clubs more than others or was this a comment that applies equally to all brands?

Mostly the $500 driver. and the $1200 set of Irons.

• SPY VIP

I seem to be thinking this direction because I liked the shaft feel of the fubuki, but don't like the FTi head. is this shaft "universal" enough to warrant another head. I don't see another shaft in the future. Plus the Aldila Proto shaft is still 150+ in imix config.

That is the shaft in the other driver that meets my swing very well

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Is Callaway the only company to still use carbon fiber, or do other companies use it and just not advertise it?

In addition to Callaway, Cobra, Titleist, and Nike offer drivers built with some form of composite material. Thus far TaylorMade, Ping, and the rest of the big boys have resisted. Based on what I've swung this year I can say that they're finally figuring the sound thing out. I don't think they're going away anytime soon.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

As much as I like the I-MIX system, it really isn't what Callaway originally marketed it to be. Yeah, sure it's great for varying ball flight in a variety of conditions, and yeah, I suppose it's nice to be able to swap out heads if you're playing a course with a particular number of doglegs one way or the other, but here's the rub...

Callaway doesn't give I-MIX owners any real breaks on price. Heads sell for nearly as much as the full club. I-MIX shafts are every bit as expensive as their unfinished counterparts, selection is somewhat limited, and of course, they don't make the adapters available for those who, god forbid, want to put a something that isn't explicitly I-MIXED (Oban, Miyazaki, etc.) into your club. Seriously, why not just buy a couple of the "regular" version?

Throw in the fact that just about every I-MIX owner has at least a little fear that Callaway is going to abandon the system altogether, and there isn't a whole lot of incentive to buy in.

I really do think I-MIX is great, but I also really think Callaway's pricing structure is all wrong.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

As much as I like the I-MIX system, it really isn't what Callaway originally marketed it to be. Yeah, sure it's great for varying ball flight in a variety of conditions, and yeah, I suppose it's nice to be able to swap out heads if you're playing a course with a particular number of doglegs one way or the other, but here's the rub...

Callaway doesn't give I-MIX owners any real breaks on price. Heads sell for nearly as much as the full club. I-MIX shafts are every bit as expensive as their unfinished counterparts, selection is somewhat limited, and of course, they don't make the adapters available for those who, god forbid, want to put a something that isn't explicitly I-MIXED (Oban, Miyazaki, etc.) into your club. Seriously, why not just buy a couple of the "regular" version?

Throw in the fact that just about every I-MIX owner has at least a little fear that Callaway is going to abandon the system altogether, and there isn't a whole lot of incentive to buy in.

I really do think I-MIX is great, but I also really think Callaway's pricing structure is all wrong.

This is a great point. I was always confused by the pricing of I-Mix. I was very psyched about it when it was first announced, but the additional cost of getting I-Mix heads and shafts always kept me away (that and the fact that I love drivers with hosels). Slightly OT, I wish TM would do something in terms of selling shafts with the R9 tips to consumers.

In addition to Callaway, Cobra, Titleist, and Nike offer drivers built with some form of composite material. Thus far TaylorMade, Ping, and the rest of the big boys have resisted. Based on what I've swung this year I can say that they're finally figuring the sound thing out. I don't think they're going away anytime soon.

Duh, can't believe I forgot Cobra and the Titleist DComp. You mentioned Nike, I assume you meant the MachSpeed?

• SPY VIP

Duh, can't believe I forgot Cobra and the Titleist DComp. You mentioned Nike, I assume you meant the MachSpeed?

The MachSpeed is listed as composite, as is the VR on TGW.com. Honestly, I'm really not sure about the VR. It sure sounds like it could be composite.

The MachSpeed is listed as composite, as is the VR on TGW.com. Honestly, I'm really not sure about the VR. It sure sounds like it could be composite.

i will look into this on Sunday, and report back.

I just can't get used to the triangle drivers.. The Burner a few years ago turned me away. I like a traditional shape. I hat the square drivers as well..

yeah, I'm done with triangle and square. I don't care how much they help me. I hate even looking at them in the bag.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Not surprised. Callaway priced the iMix horribly. Who wants to be in for that much money for a driver? Now putters... entirely different story. ;)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I think your average consumer doesn't know enough about shaft technology to adjust for conditions. If Joe Blow (not the guys on this board but John Q Public) read your post, you might as well have been speaking Greek. Torque, kick, flex.... all foreign concepts.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived