TESTERS WANTED! ×

Confession Corner - Admit Your Golf Equipment Biases

null

Titleist drivers…. Started with the 975 J, 983 K, 905 T, and now currently playing the TSI 3. I’ve tried other brands in the past and  they were good drivers… but I never had the same confidence, control, and consistency I have with a Titleist in my bag… 

Vokey wedges… simply the best in my opinion and always a couple steps ahead of the game.. literally..  I thought the sm9’s were a game changer…  I’d love to go through a wedge fitting with Mr. Vokey out at the Titleist Performance Institute. Its definitely on the bucket list. 

Mizuno irons- my first  first set of blades was a combo set of mp32 & mp60’s and have been partial to mizunos ever since. I got fitted into the 921 hot metal pros last year and they’re the best irons I’ve ever hit. Crazy long and ridiculously forgiving. I picked up about 2 to 2.5 clubs with these irons. That shows what a difference getting fitted can make, along with the new technology…  I was also swinging it a little better at that point as well. The looks and soft feel of mizunos is what set them apart for me.  

Edited by Golfguru72

1D Taylor Made R9

3W Taylor made R 7

1H Hogan apex tour 1 hybrid

4-PMizuno mp 32 

Vokey Spin milled wedges 

52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 ball

I wonder how much correlation this thread has with the 1 one OEM survey has with MGS... See lots of the same brands come up for positive and negative biases and definitely think there are some overlaps. 

One I haven't really seen being brought up are shafts. So here are mine.

Positive: Nippon and KBS - have and play both and really like both. Their offerings are stellar they have a great product and imo some of the best iron shafts out there. 

Negative: DG - not that I think they are bad, but I truly do not get along with these and have tried multiple times to see if I can make them work or like me and each time its been a failure. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

11 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Idk there are good nights on both ends of the spectrum 😂 maybe more I don’t even remember!….I guess that kind of proves your point though…..
back to biases!

Great cheerleader reference! I prefer feel, comfort and performance over eye candy every time. Personally, I need all the I can get (on the course that is). But this is coming from someone that at 17 bought a used full set of Spaulding elites (2 Iron included) for $50 and used them for the next 28 years. 

4-PW and UW Ping G710

Ping Glide 54 degree wedge

1,3,5 Taylor-Made Titanium bubble shafts (24years)

Top-Flite Gamer Putter

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I wonder how much correlation this thread has with the 1 one OEM survey has with MGS... See lots of the same brands come up for positive and negative biases and definitely think there are some overlaps. 

One I haven't really seen being brought up are shafts. So here are mine.

Probably closely related to the OEM survey; you just get more than one answer here.

I am not a shaft junkie and can honestly say i have no biases with shafts and would be willing to put any shaft in my clubs.  Maybe it is because there  isn’t a lot of advertising them on TV or seeing logos on players shirts or hats.    

I might even  go out on a limb and say they may be the least considered aspect of a club when someone picks a club up off the rack.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Positive: Nippon and KBS - have and play both and really like both. Their offerings are stellar they have a great product and imo some of the best iron shafts out there. 

Negative: DG - not that I think they are bad, but I truly do not get along with these and have tried multiple times to see if I can make them work or like me and each time its been a failure. 

Most DG shafts are going to play stiff especially if you are a Nippon fan. The modus is for many what’s common referred to as soft to flex. Also depending on what kbs shaft(s) you like you will feel the DG to be “harsher”. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 1/17/2023 at 11:35 AM, Jim Shaw said:

my equipment bias is the amount of focus companies put on what goes into developing the heads of their products, from 10,000 feet, as a consumer, I feel there are very few "innovations" but once there is then "best practices' take over and all the top brands copy in some way the innovation, so after a very short time all the top brands are basically the same. I believe more time and energy should be put into the "engine" of the club and that is the shaft. When I get fitted this coming fall it will probably be 75% shaft and 25% type of construction of the head and I am thinking particularly of the irons. For example the tailor-made 790 irons, from what I see they definitely go further than blade type  irons but when they hit the green they dont stop, they have less spin so you have to take that into consideration. 

I know the feedback I get from all the posts on this site will help me wade through the decision making process for new clubs which can be daunting, and I appreciate the help.

Funny that you day the P790s don't stop when they hit the green. I've been playing them for about 4 years and I can stop a 3, 4, 5 iron when hitting tee shots or long fairway shots in; not so much out of the rough of course. Maybe that is a shaft issue for you. The head (face, grooves etc.) Impart spin, but that can be negated by shaft choice, I saw how different shafts effected spin and flight during my fitting. Bottom line, I don't have any problem stopping short OR long shots into the green with these irons.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Most DG shafts are going to play stiff especially if you are a Nippon fan. The modus is for many what’s common referred to as soft to flex. Also depending on what kbs shaft(s) you like you will feel the DG to be “harsher”. 

Thanks. I do know that or should say I'm aware of that. 

You have any shaft biases?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I think we need to re-look at what I meant by bias.  I am not referring to what necessarily fits you best.  I am talking about completely non-scientific or performance related reasons to why we like or don't like certain brands.

I don't prefer Sun Mountain bags because I don't like their stand mechanism.  I am biased against OGIO because they are owned by Callaway and just don't want to own any Callaway-affiliated products.  If sun mountain re-did their stand mechanism, I would consider their bags.  There is nothing OGIO could do (aside from breaking off from Callaway) to make me want to by an OGIO bag.

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Thanks. I do know that or should say I'm aware of that. 

You have any shaft biases?

Interestingly I don’t from a brand perspective. To an extent it’s more of a bias about feel. If something doesn’t feel good I struggle or if it’s too harsh or boardy feeling I do have the tendency to go at it harder which is never good.

Even more interesting is that despite preferring good feeling shafts I have had the original hzrdus yellow in multiple drivers because it fits my swing yet has no feel.

In drivers either counter balanced or higher balance points are what works for my swing. In woods and hybrids it’s been a mix. Irons s300 or s300 amt white have been the most common with two fittings showing px6.0 also work(another shaft with no feel and requires properly loading). I do like the kbs $ taper and the Nippon modus 120 in some heads, they have been higher spin for me in tm and pxg tho

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Definitely against visors. They could tell me they have the ability to read the green for me but if they look like a visor it just ain't happening. It's like sandals with socks, you can't have both. No hat or hat, pick one or or the other. 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

I think we need to re-look at what I meant by bias.  I am not referring to what necessarily fits you best.  I am talking about completely non-scientific or performance related reasons to why we like or don't like certain brands.

there are many types of biases: https://thedecisionlab.com/biases-index

our experiences, beliefs, thoughts, etc all influence our decision making.  people are saying these brands because they worked for them in the past and believe they will continue to work for them in the future.   That is a bias.   

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Without a doubt players on tour have lead to some irrational bias. For the longest time Phil being with Callaway made me not want to try or think about their equipment where Rory without a doubt lead to some of my past Nike club purchases.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 hour ago, Subdiver1 said:

Funny that you day the P790s don't stop when they hit the green. I've been playing them for about 4 years and I can stop a 3, 4, 5 iron when hitting tee shots or long fairway shots in; not so much out of the rough of course. Maybe that is a shaft issue for you. The head (face, grooves etc.) Impart spin, but that can be negated by shaft choice, I saw how different shafts effected spin and flight during my fitting. Bottom line, I don't have any problem stopping short OR long shots into the green with these irons.

I noticed Brooke Henderson is hitting the 790's this year and she didn't have any problem stopping them, although I did see a couple fly over her target but she will get that figured out. the fitting centre we have here in Victoria fits Taylor Made so I defiantly will try the 790's, and the 770's which Nelly Korda is hitting this year.

committed to performance excellence

8 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

I noticed Brooke Henderson is hitting the 790's this year and she didn't have any problem stopping them, although I did see a couple fly over her target but she will get that figured out. the fitting centre we have here in Victoria fits Taylor Made so I defiantly will try the 790's, and the 770's which Nelly Korda is hitting this year.

I’ve had the p790 along with a couple other brands similar style irons and never had an issue holding greens. It really comes down to the person hitting them. Someone who already has low spin is more thank likely have too low spin with the p790 thus holding the green

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ve had the p790 along with a couple other brands similar style irons and never had an issue holding greens. It really comes down to the person hitting them. Someone who already has low spin is more thank likely have too low spin with the p790 thus holding the green

what brand of irons are you playing now, and what shaft do you have in them?

committed to performance excellence

55 minutes ago, cnosil said:

there are many types of biases: https://thedecisionlab.com/biases-index

our experiences, beliefs, thoughts, etc all influence our decision making.  people are saying these brands because they worked for them in the past and believe they will continue to work for them in the future.   That is a bias.   

This was supposed to be a light-hearted thread about our irrational equipment biases. But ok  

12 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

what brand of irons are you playing now, and what shaft do you have in them?

I have 4 sets.

Titleist 680MB (aka Adam Scott’s irons) with kbs tour stiff

Sub70 699 with DG s300

Ping i525 with px io 6.0(mostly gamers)

Miura cb301 with recoil 110 proto f4 (other set of gamers)

dont ask me to list pst irons that list is too long but the shafts have been s300, s300 amt (before they did the colors). Px 6.0, kbs tour, dg105, kbs $taper, Nippon modus 120 and recoil 100 non proto f4

1 hour ago, Subdiver1 said:

... This is a little like hearing folks caring say the hit 300 yd drives. In my experience 300yds is very, very rare. The ones that can, do it with ease but I hit huge drives (for me) back in the midwest that my partners swore had to be over 300yds and maybe them hitting it 220 and thinking 250 has something to do with it. Laser the ball and it's 285. I was always a little skeptical of 300yd claims til I moved to the desert where winter conditions can add 50yds of roll or more. So that same drive that went 270 in typical conditions goes 310 in the desert. Same for altitude that can produce more yards than sea level. And that brings me to P790's...

... I had no problems at all holding greens with my P790 4 iron back in soft Midwest conditions. But here in Phoenix when winter rolls around after over seeding takes hold, greens can be rock hard and I hit a very high 4 iron at Papago that landed on the front of the green, bounced a good 6 feet in the air and rolled off the back of a large green. Couldn't even find a ball mark. Switched back to my Amp Forged and I could hold greens again, although still had to judge a little release. Desert greens are just radically different than greens I had played for 35 years. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

I don't prefer Sun Mountain bags because I don't like their stand mechanism.  I am biased against OGIO because they are owned by Callaway and just don't want to own any Callaway-affiliated products.  If sun mountain re-did their stand mechanism, I would consider their bags.  There is nothing OGIO could do (aside from breaking off from Callaway) to make me want to by an OGIO bag.

Try Datrek. I know it's not the fanboy sexy pick right now but they are quality bags.

59 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

This was supposed to be a light-hearted thread about our irrational equipment biases. But ok  

It may start out that way, but the tone and direction of threads always changes. 🤪

Man, I have to do better at scanning the forum for new content...I'm waaaay behind on a great thread.  My two cents:

First, I hate nothing...I truly will give everything a chance and if it performs better I'll game it.  

But, I do have some biases, and those biases can be a tiebreaker all things being equal.

NEGATIVE BIAS:  TaylorMade and Callaway.  First, I hate feeling like I'm funding what strike me as the most aggressive marketing campaigns out there.  But more so, the "made-for" shaft phenomenon really bothers me.  I understand that a made-for shaft can still be a good shaft and work for some, but I find it very disingenuous to give a shaft the same name and paint job as an aftermarket shaft...a Ventus without the Velocore in TaylorMades, the Project X HZRDUS in the Epic, etc.  I'm not sure but I'm guessing other OEMs do this, but TaylorMade and Callaway are the most egregious in my opinion.

Oh, and Ping drivers are still loud to me.

POSITIVE BIAS:  Titleist and Mizuno.  As subjective as hell I know, but they always make products that look and feel great to my eyes and ears, and they give the impression to me of companies that are about making golfers better rather than pumping out product.  The 2-year product cycle to me is evidence of that.

And finally, a special positive:  Honma.  One, first testing opportunity I had with MGS, Two, I think they made/make great stuff, but their foray into North America was doomed from the start, in some ways for reasons of their own making.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

6 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

TaylorMade and Callaway.  First, I hate feeling like I'm funding what strike me as the most aggressive marketing campaigns out there.  But more so, the "made-for" shaft phenomenon really bothers me.  I understand that a made-for shaft can still be a good shaft and work for some, but I find it very disingenuous to give a shaft the same name and paint job as an aftermarket shaft...a Ventus without the Velocore in TaylorMades, the Project X HZRDUS in the Epic, etc.  I'm not sure but I'm guessing other OEMs do this, but TaylorMade and Callaway are the most egregious in my opinion.

... Fair enough and of course these are just opinions and as Lukes said light hearted ones at that and personal bias, so I'm not arguing with your opinion. That said, most golfers and even forum golfers will fit into a made for more than the aftermarket shaft and OEMs are fitting the masses. Nothing worse for the OEM when someone hits a driver that would work well with a stock made for shaft but a stiffer tipped, lower torque after market shaft produces a bad feel and poor ball flight. They have absolutely no idea it's the shaft and they just think "This driver sucks". It has been my experience with the general public high index and even some mid index players that they have absolutely no idea what their flex is let alone what shaft they are playing. 🙄  Ventus means noting to 95% of the real world golfers and of course Velocore doesn't enter in to it at all. 

... I talked with the engineers at Cobra when they wanted to put a Matrix aftermarket shaft in their new driver, but their testing found it didn't work for most. They realized they were close so they had Matrix soften the tip and reduce the torque while keeping the same construction and materials. Worked much better for the masses but some forum members really took them to task for a "made for" in small print. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Fair enough and of course these are just opinions and as Lukes said light hearted one s at that and personal bias, so I'm not arguing with your opinion. That said, most golfers and even forum golfers will fit into a made for more than the aftermarket shaft and OEMs are fitting the masses. Nothing worse for the OEM when someone hits a driver that would work well with a stock made for shaft but a stiffer tipped, lower torque after market shaft produces a bad feel and poor ball flight. They have absolutely no idea it's the shaft and they just think "This driver sucks". It has been my experience with the general public high index and even some mid index players that they have absolutely no idea what their flex is let alone what shaft they are playing. 🙄  Ventus means noting to 95% of the real world golfers and of course Velocore doesn't enter in to it at all. 

... I talked with the engineers at Cobra when they wanted to put a Matrix aftermarket shaft in their new driver, but their testing found it didn't work for most. They realized they were close so they had Matrix soften the tip and reduce the torque while keeping the same construction and materials. Worked much better for the masses but some forum members really took them to task for a "made for" in small print. 

I get it, and like I said I understand that a made-for can still fit a lot of people.  But, why give it the same name and same paint job, unless you are trying to establish a relationship or suggest it's akin to a more expensive product when it's really not?  Just seems disingenuous or an attempt to prey on the uninformed.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

This forum has taught a lot of people to be open minded about gear.  Brand agnosticism is really the best approach to setting yourself up for success.

This doesn’t mean I don’t have biases.  

I won’t touch a TaylorMade putter.  That is really the only line I will draw…Setup, feel, performance…they do absolutely nothing for me.

One thing has been a constant for me throughout college and as a club pro, the drivers in my bag have always rotated between Ping & Titleist.  Going back 20 years my bag has been 975D, TiSi, 983K, 905T, G5, 913D3, G400LST, TSI3.  I tried a couple random brands for fun without success..Nike Ignite, Callaway Big Bertha, SIM2…

Clubs are a lot like food…give it a chance and be open minded.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I try to stay brand agnostic, as different equipment can suit my game. With that being said, I do have some equipment that I won't touch with a ten meter cattle prod. 

Ping irons. I tried the G400 at the fitting where I bought my Cobras and the feel and performance just weren't there. Plus, I know it serves a purpose when it comes to adjusting lie, but the cutout at the back of the house looks kinda goofy. Their woods and wedges I would give a fair shot, as they always put out solid performers. 

Callaway balls. After the ball test a couple of years ago I just feel like they are made to a lesser standard. I know they've improved but there's some trust issues there.

Blade putters of any brand. I like looking at a big, bulky mallet as it just oozes confidence and forgiveness to me. Plus, the feel is sublime.

Wilson drivers. Most of them look cheap to me. The new DynaPwr could possibly change that, if they can be found anywhere near me.

Now, I don't want to be all negative here so here's the things I'll gravitate towards.

Mizuno irons. I love my 921 Forged. They're buttery and forgiving. These clubs inspire me to want to become a better ball striker because they're beautiful and I want to look like a player that deserves to play them.

Cobra anything. The drivers perform good, I love the fairway woods, they're innovative with their irons and putters, and the wedges look like they would perform.

I'm just a fanboy.

Odyssey putters. I've had 2 and just feel confident standing over any putt I face.

Evnroll. I love Odyssey, but have just always wanted to give them a try. They get rave reviews in testing and I would love to eventually try one out. 

Titleist. Almost anything. If I'm in the market for a driver, they'll be high on my list. Vokey wedges will be on the top of my list to try when replacing my current Vokey's. The amount of grind and bounce options they offer just excite the inner geek in me. The only thing that doesn't excite me are Scotty's. To me, it's just a milled face and a name.

Other than that, I'm willing to try anything. 

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I get it, and like I said I understand that a made-for can still fit a lot of people.  But, why give it the same name and same paint job, unless you are trying to establish a relationship or suggest it's akin to a more expensive product when it's really not?  Just seems disingenuous or an attempt to prey on the uninformed.

In taylormades case the rumor is they bought the name. Also last year and this year they changed the paint scheme. Callaway hasn’t changed it for the blue.

While it is somewhat deceptive it’s also basic marketing. 1) as discussed it’s a shaft that will fit the majority of everyday golfers and 2) let’s them have something that looks like what the pros play which will boost sales. Remember there is a large segment that doesn’t get fit for clubs and buys off the rack based on name, flex and loft of what they already play

5 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Imagine the criticism that tennis companies got for years over paintjobs. Trying to explain to 100+ people a day that the majority of professionals were playing older models that were simply being painted to look like the newest year's model got old. Not to mention all of the various custom features and weighting that may be involved. We are talking everything from a professional using a 15 year old racquet with a custom molded handle because he prefers the shape of another manufacturer's handle, foam injected into certain areas of the frame to alter the flex, lead tape to alter the weight and a modified string pattern. All that while manufacturers are throwing up advertisements and posters telling everyone to buy the "New (insert pro's name here) Racquet". It was quite infuriating personally. Of course the retail model was a more appropriate fit for the vast majority of people than the actual pro's racquet, but it feels wrong in some ways. 

Driver: PXG 0811XF Gen 4 w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6- 
3 Wood: PXG 0341XF Gen 4 w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70g
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Spornia SPG-7 hitting net review
2023 Titleist White Box ProV1 review

15 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Ohh count me in on any bags that have a mechanism that collapses the front part of the bag and doesn’t have full length dividers, or has dividers that bunch up and get all clogged up. 

when I put a club back in my bag I want to hear that this as it hits the bottom. Nothing worse than hitting a bad shot and less than gently putting your club back and not being rewarded with an audible thud at the bottom. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I'll only play PING irons....'Play Your Best'

I used to be 'all about' Cobra drivers. Was dead-set on buying the F9 when it came out. Hit it like crap - no better than my then-current Cobra driver. The fitter suggested a Callaway Epic Flash w/ EvenFlow shaft...I gained 22 yards  & 7 MPH ball speed 🤯 Moral of the story: get fit

Balls: Titleist Pro V1/V1x or TaylorMade TP5/Tour Response....I'll give-away any finds/gifts that aren't those two....um, four

I have never got on the TM club bandwagon....and have never bought an Apple product  🤭

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

I went to my True Spec fitting a couple years back with a brand agnostic position.  While the primary reason for the fitting was moving into composite shafts, I figured why not see if another make/model head outperforms the G410's I was fitted for the prior year.  The ball flight data and downselect yielded a toss-up between the G425's and the ZX5's, with Mavrik's and D9F's in the hunt.  

To be brutally honest though, I'm not sure I could have ignored the visual aspects of a couple heads had they been a finalist; T300 and D9 in particular.  Much as it makes sense to let the data dictate the choice, I suspect that's tough to do for most.  If the look of the club is just off-putting, both in the bag and, even more so, at address, it's hard to ignore.

In answer to the OP question, I can honestly say I'm still brand agnostic - with the caveat that ball flight data alone won't be the only criteria in my selection.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)