Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Confession Corner - Admit Your Golf Equipment Biases

null

Drivers - TaylorMade if they didn't break, TSI 3 isn't leaving my bag anytime soon, Cobra always gets an elevator look

Fairways - TaylorMade by a mile, Callaway a distant second, then the rest

Hybrids / Driving Irons - Srixon

Irons - Pretty much any forged Japanese club

Wedges - Vokey / Japanese forged / edel

Putter - Edel / Scotty / White Hot Insert

Balls - Titleist and Bridgestone

Glove - anything Cabretta

Bag - never had a love affair with my bag

Grips - Lamkin / Golf Pride

Shoes - Footjoy and Under Armour 

Shirts - what's on sale

Handicap 5.4

Driver - Titleist TSI3 10* @ 9.25, speeder 757 

Fwy - Titleist TSI3 16.5* 4 wood, speeder 757

Driving Iron - Srixon ZX 18*, recoil x flex

Irons - 4-P Srixon Z945, kbs tour 130 x

Wedges - 50* - Mizuno t22, Taylormade MG4 TW 56, Vokey SM9 60

Putter - Edel EAS 1.0

I've become much more open-minded to DTC brands, considering the value they bring relative to the performance of their products.  That being said -

Aside from their Apex irons, I've never had a good experience with any Callaway golf equipment - including all the brands they own.  

While I find some of their equipment intriguing, I've never trusted TaylorMade only because they seem to value their marketing over club performance.  When a manufacturer has to release a whole new club line each year, you gotta wonder why last year's model, which was dubbed the "most advanced technology" for example, is now considered outdated.  Nike was also like this when they made clubs, and Callaway also did this.  

PXG - again seems to be more about marketing rather than performance.

On the other hand, I've always looked to Mizuno to be the standard for irons - you don't see a whole lot of advertising from them relative to other brands, because they don't need to.  

I won a set of Wilson FG Tour V6 irons several years ago, and to this day they are the set I love playing the most.  I've since moved on to Sub70 irons primarily because the Wilsons got worn out, but damn those were fine clubs.  Now I find I still like the Wilson line of forged irons even though they get little love.  

Titleist i2 driver

Sub70 irons and wedges

42 minutes ago, PJVicary said:

Positive Vibes

Taylormade. The older RSi 1’s were in my estimation the best look/ feel irons I’ve ever owned. Someone offered me way over what I paid and they were gone. One of my worst decisions. Plus the corporate guys have been no less than A+ anytime I’ve reached out. Still have SIM driver and an old RBZ 3HL fairway wood that I would never part with.

Mizuno. Using a set of Mizuno JPX 921 Pro irons that I have a love hate relationship with. When hit pure, there is no better sound/ feel/ end result. 

Titleist. I game Vokey wedges and a 913 H 24 degree Rescue all of which are dependable. 

Cure. While not exactly a household name, Cure build great putters. I have every model made and often alternate depending on how I feel

Bobby Grace. Just picked up his M5K-GT (I know it’s old but so am I). Love the feel.

No one has talked specifically about shafts. The UST design is the best I have ever played. I carry their Mamiya Recoil in all of my irons and own 16 new backups in the event I purchase a couple of additional iron sets in the years to come.

Neutral

Cleveland Srixon. Nice looking irons but could never find common ground with them.

Ping. Good brand. Just never think of them when looking for a new set.

Negative 

Callaway. Never a fan

PXG Never played the club and have no desire to. The guy has an ego the size of Texas and he alone turns me off.

I understand the negative feedback on Parsons..he does have an obnoxious tone…but the guy has an incredible story of success and is a proud Vietnam Vet Marine…who is very loyal to Veterans and First Responders. I met the PXG rep while working the range at an LPGA event here in NJ…he told me sat 2 desks away from him when Parsons first started PXG and had to listen to him all day…said it was a trip…but the guy has a heart of gold who’s mission is to make the best Golf equipment…period! to me my decision wasn’t based on the company owner but the product they produce…and after my fitting I realized just how good the product really was. I had recoil shafts in my first set of PXG irons…wasn’t fit for them, but was amazed after trying at least 6 different shafts the Cypher shafts were the best for me…Recoils are an excellent shaft but I gained 9 yds with the Cypher…same swing speed same smash factor…that’s why to me a fitting is so important. PS…I have a good friend who lives at The Villages…loves it there…but the dummy doesn’t play Golf…go figure! 😂

Driver PXG 0311 Black Ops 10.5 Cypher R Flex

3&5 Woods PXG 0311 Gen 5 Cypher R Flex

4 Utility PXK 0311 Gen 5 Cypher R Flex

5-GW PXG 0311 Gen 5 Cypher A Flex

Wedge 56 Taylormade MG4

Grip JumboMax JMX Zen Lite Medium

Putter Lab Mezz Max Broomstick @42.5x78.5

Like the topic and some of the responses I've read so far.  Of course, we all have our biases and it's impossible to escape from them.  Mine:

Positive

I'm on my second set of Mizuno irons and definitely am biased towards the brand.  Until very recently, my only non-Mizuno clubs in the bag were wedges.  Now I've added a Titleist 7 wood and soon a Scotty putter will replace my Mizuno M-Craft II.  I recently went through a club fitting and discovered the Mizuno putter not at all fit for my putting stroke (try as I might, I can't get it to be face-balanced by changing weights).
Titleist is another brand favorite.  Partly because one of my first sets of clubs were hand-me-down DCI-Golds from my dad.  And now their irons were a very close second to the Mizunos I ended up buying.  Great feel, looks, everything.  One Mizuno v. Titleist question that tracks in favor of Mizuno though is that most everything is included in the cost of a Mizuno (shaft, grip), whereas it's all an extra expense for Titleist.

Negative

DTC clubs.  I know there are some great offerings out there from the likes of Sub70, Takomo, and others.  But I just side eye any brand I can't put in my hand, look at, swing, get interactively fit for.  Add to that I had a bad experience with a mail order brand in the early days of them (which turned into a nice surprise for the First Tee), and I don't know if I'll ever be able to go the DTC route again.  
Cobra.  This is completely irrational, but I just can't help but see them as "old people clubs" (and, yes, I know I'm rapidly approaching that category).  I know they make some great forged clubs (a friend plays them and loves 'em) and Rickie is hitting them well again.  Just can't shake that view of them, for whatever reason.
PXG.  Some of it is reaction to their marketing campaign.  Some is the fact that their first few iterations of clubs were obscenely expensive.  Some is I flat out don't like the look of their irons with all the screws, etc.  Just have never looked at them favorably.  With prices of some of their clubs matching more mainstream brands, I might be more willing to at least swing them to see what they're about.  But the bias probably would linger in the back of my head...
Cavity back wedges.  I was pressed to game them because I had cavity back irons.  My wedges at the time were Clevelands (not the CBXs) and I liked them.  But I bowed to the influence from the club fitter and bout a pair of wedges.  I found my consistency with them actually went down pretty significantly, both on full swing shots and around the green.  I'll be returning to more tour-style wedges and not looking back...

Mizuno ST200G driver, Diamana White stiff

Mizuno ST200 Tour Spoon 3 wood, Diamana White stiff

Titleist TSR 7 wood, stiff

Mizuno MP223 irons, 4-GW, Nippon Modus X-stiff

Edison Forged wedges, 55 and 59 degree, KBS Tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

For drivers and fw I am biased towards Callaway only because of their preowned website and business model. They pay better than anyone else for trade-in. Their adjustable cogs dont change the grip alignment and performance of the drivers and fw are up there with the best. Titleist is the choice if I had to choose other brand. ping would be up there but can’t stand the look of their woods. 

Irons is would play anything if I can get the right shaft and head combination. Have played Callaway, Titleist , Mizuno, Taylormade and now Srixon in last 10 years. 

Wedges I don’t find that much difference between brands - get the right loft, bounce and shafts and I’m good. Played lot of Titleist but now in Cleveland just because they were on sale. 

Balls I find what fits the iron I play to give me the right feel and spin. Not quite happy yet on my ZX7 irons / RTX Wedges/ ball combo. Have played ChromeSoft X, Bridgestone X/XS and now ProV1x . 

if I had to play one brand across my whole bag it would be Titleist or Ping. 

—- 

Paradym 9* Ventus Blue 7x, 44 inches

Rogue Max 3,5 Tensei White

3 P790 Nippon Ghost , 3,4 Adams Ideas Pro hybrids

4-AW Srixon ZX7 , Nippon 120x

54 Mid, 58 Low Cleveland RTX

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7s, 33.5 inches 

Bridgestone XS

Arccos Golf , Motocaddy M7 

Interesting question. This goes directly to the amount of marketing influence the golf industry has on our answers. Nobody likes to admit to being swayed by the advertisements we see in the various golf magazines when, as consumers, we all like to think our buying decisions are based on reasoned well thought out examination of the objective features and benefits of the products we shell out our well earned money on. The problem is, the model we are given to do this is a golf "fitting". Based on my experience, this is an expensive path to take and is often administered by a retail employee who has had limited experience and who probably works for a shop with a limited selection of brands. (Some exceptions do exist at some golf superstores, but good luck finding one unless you live in a major metropolitan area) The supply chain problem certainly doesn't help. My take? Probably the best route is to get fitted with the best swing weight and shaft choice through a local pro. Have that pro look at your swing hitting off real turf, on the golf course over at least 9 holes!  What's on the end of the club, any brand, is probably secondary.

Edited by Jim Thompson

4 hours ago, Preeway said:

The only thing keeping me from being serious about DTC brands is the desire to be fitted for clubs.

But it’s near impossible to test drive a DTC brand which for makes it much harder to consider. 

... I have been playing long enough, reviewed too many clubs to count and realized years ago if I can't hold them, look at them in the address position and actually hit them, I won't consider them. I am very particular about how my clubs look at address as well as head shape. For irons the top line, offset and hosel grind have to look really good to my eye. It is almost impossible to really see those elements in pictures. 

... With most OEMs having free demo days at courses and worst case scenarios, indoor fittings or even just being able to see them and hit them into a net, I think DTC brands are a big disadvantage. I have said this a gazillion times but I am in awe of those that can play a club based on performance only. Not saying they would embrace a Nike SQ without blinking but just reading reviews of some of the DTC irons sounds like they are equal to the OEMs strictly for performance. You guys rock. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have been playing long enough, reviewed too many clubs to count and realized years ago if I can't hold them, look at them in the address position and actually hit them, I won't consider them. I am very particular about how my clubs look at address as well as head shape. For irons the top line, offset and hosel grind have to look really good to my eye. It is almost impossible to really see those elements in pictures. 

... With most OEMs having free demo days at courses and worst case scenarios, indoor fittings or even just being able to see them and hit them into a net, I think DTC brands are a big disadvantage. I have said this a gazillion times but I am in awe of those that can play a club based on performance only. Not saying they would embrace a Nike SQ without blinking but just reading reviews of some of the DTC irons sounds like they are equal to the OEMs strictly for performance. You guys rock. 

I don’t disagree at all, but it’s fun rolling dice sometimes.  The performance of some of the DTCs is really surprising.  Takomo 101Ts are a prime example, just great irons.

You never know what you might get and sometimes it works out.  If it doesn’t you can usually justify the hit on resale.  

I agree that you can never buy a DTC for woods or putters.  OEM fittings are crucialL   The DTC in these categories aren’t that much cheaper and fit is critical.  Plus the look feel and performance is too variable.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

I know there is going to come a time in the not too distant future when my age and physical condition will make it impossible to get the maximum benefit from a top of the line brand name manufacturer. That is the time when I will take the more budget friendly approach and consider a DTC brand. But until then I am going to pay a little more and fit my clubs to swing which means no DTCs any time soon.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I have a mental block around srixon. I was a super fanboy of their golf balls back when I worked at a course in the early 2000s. Bought a hat, and would buy a sleeve of new to head out and play. I loved them, but I would lose every. Single. One of them. Always. And then a maxfli or precept would take over and I would play out the rest of my round.

After a 10 year hiatus, I'm back into golf.  Looking down at a srixon ball, I feel the curse return.

As far as other biases, I love ping, Ben Hogan, Callaway woods, and Cleveland putters.  

I don't have cable tv, I have never seen a PXG commercial, yet I'm not a fan, even if some of their clubs look like they would perform well.  Brains are funny, and humans are just monkeys with car keys. 

1 hour ago, KC Golf said:

Interesting views from someone who has tried a bunch of stuff.  I have less knowledge about DTCs, but have used a few and I like them.  They represent great value and in most cases close to big name performance and quality.  The biggest issue with DTC is getting fit or taking a flyer and trying it out.  

I have become a fan of DTC as a result of my testing for MGS.  As @chisag stated, fitting and being able to hold, swing, see the clubs is a huge disadvantage for a lot of golfers.  While you can get them to send you a club or visit their location, that adds to the overall cost.  I’m fortunate that I get to try them all.   What I have learned is that clubs perform differently so you need to try them.  The other negative is for someone that likes to switch clubs regularly or buys a set and doesn’t like them is the resale value for DTC is low.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I game Cleveland wedges(CBX2's) like I have since I started playing this game in 98. I have a Callaway Diablo Octane 3-wood that may never leave my bag. I have a Snake Eyes hybrid that may also never leave my bag. I play a Ping G410 SFT that might be in my bag for some time to come. I curently play GigaGolf hybrid irons, but, the jury is still out, even after 3 seasons with them. I have a Cleveland HB Soft 11c center shafted putter, which I just keep getting better with each round, when I do play. I due my homework on each club(s) I choose to play, read reviews, try them out, if possible, pick the brain of the salesperson on the floor of the b+m store, to see if they are knowledgeable of the products they sell. Swinging in the sim is a big deal for me, but I would rather test on a course. Long is not the end all for me! I want accuracy, and can this club perform for me in the manner I want. I kind of move around on golf balls, though I do not play tour type balls, because of spin off the tee. I am currently gaming a house brand from DSG, Maxfli Softfli, which was on sale, so I will be playing this ball for awhile. I am a high capper, but that IS NOT because of the clubs I have in my bag. I just don't play, and/or practice enough during a season. Just played Sunday to a 93, after not playing for close to 2 months. 

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I love observing how bias plays out.  My regular playing partner recently replaced his irons and woods (long over due - and a complete Titleist/Vokey/SC/ProV setup - plus a PXG 7W).  He first went to get fitted for irons at the local DSG.  Going in he was sure he'd come out of there with Mizuno JPX923 someting or another - or Srixon irons - but was open to anything but Callaway. Why?  He just didn't like Callaway.  He came out with a set of Paradym X 6 - A on order.  Over the next several weeks he replaced his driver with a Rogue ST Max D (STD - ha!) and then his 3W likewise.  Then his wardrobe changed to all Callaway Polos.  And a hat.  And Callaway golves. Then it was really funny watching him try to acustom himself to a Chrome Soft Ball.  That last one did not take.   Still has the PXG 7W, the SC putter and the Vokey wedges in his Titleist stand bag.  Been hearing rumblings about a new bag ....  and a 5W ...... 

Ping-drivers and fairways.   I like their irons too, but just ordered some Titleist.  Love their bags. Great company.  

Titleist- wedges and irons for sure, could play any of their stuff. Die hard ProV fan  

mizuno-irons

Odyssey makes great putters, been using the same one for almost 10 years  

I used to like Callaway fairways but they became too draw biased, I won’t even sniff the rest of Callaway stuff. I hate most of their iron designs, and the wedges just don’t look right to me.  

Haven’t played TM since since the Bubble shaft days.  I did demo the p770 irons and liked them.  

PXG- no thanks, tried it and it didn’t work well for me. 

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I have become a fan of DTC as a result of my testing for MGS.  As @chisag stated, fitting and being able to hold, swing, see the clubs is a huge disadvantage for a lot of golfers.  While you can get them to send you a club or visit their location, that adds to the overall cost.  I’m fortunate that I get to try them all.   What I have learned is that clubs perform differently so you need to try them.  The other negative is for someone that likes to switch clubs regularly or buys a set and doesn’t like them is the resale value for DTC is low.  

The DTC market is just so interesting with all the new players coming and all the different options. There is a slight mystery behind some of them as well which makes things interesting!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

The DTC market is just so interesting with all the new players coming and all the different options. There is a slight mystery behind some of them as well which makes things interesting!

On this topic just saw a WITB of Wesley Bryan that has him play a mixed set of Takomo 301 CB and MB. Could be interesting if he plays in more tournaments with them and see what that does for Takomo

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

29 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

On this topic just saw a WITB of Wesley Bryan that has him play a mixed set of Takomo 301 CB and MB. Could be interesting if he plays in more tournaments with them and see what that does for Takomo

That is really interesting, unlike the OEMs DTCs don’t have Tour vans so you have to wonder how dialed in these clubs would be compared to his OEM irons.

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

I've always had a fascination with Titleist Clubs, especially irons & wedges and what it would be like to own.  I first bought a used set of AP2 714 irons. Fell in love with them.  Always found the Titleist Vokey Wedges to be the best fit for me. Although Pings wedges really looked good to my eye and played Ping 60 degree wedge for a couple of years, then went right back to Titleist and haven't changed from Titleist Wedges in over 8 yrs.   Just changed irons to Titleist T200 irons. 

Callaway stole my heart for Driver & Rescue (Hybrid) clubs. I think the Paradym X Driver is the bomb. The 3 wood Maverick is good, I'm open to change. However, the Apex 21 Hybrid is excellent.  Firmly believe the shaft in both the Paradym driver & Apex Hyrid are what makes the club. the Hybrid has UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 Stiff. One of the best shafts I've ever played in a Hybrid. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

I forget who exactly, but someone who sub 70 sponsors made the open too. 

I think that rise are the next big break through for DTC brands. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Zach Fischer is the Sub 70 player that made the cut at the Open.  Which of course, has become my equipment company and I have played Ping, Hogan, Wilson and Cleveland before but none had the same feel for me as these do.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I forget who exactly, but someone who sub 70 sponsors made the open too. 

I think that rise are the next big break through for DTC brands. 

It's only a matter of time and I would LOVE to see it. Sub 70 has done such a great job with their equipment

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

5 hours ago, chisag said:

Not saying they would embrace a Nike SQ without blinking ...

One of my regular playing partners still plays a Saquatch. "I tried to get fitted but nothing was better!" I think he really keeps it because his brother (a local pro) gave it to him, but he's really short with it. One of these days the rest of us are going to steal it from his bag and put in something, anything, else.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

The fun thing about biases is that they don't have to make sense.
Pros- name brand equipment, for the most part, putters that have an alignment aid, such as See-More, balls that cost less than $40/dozen, Spiked golf shoes, inexpensive range finders
Against- PXG anything- can't stand Parsons' raspy voice, any Dick's Sporting Goods brand, Titleist golf balls, long putters, huge putter grips.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For the average golfer, I think that equipment bias is based purely on your performance with that brand.  If you always hit say "(Pick a brand" ) balls and clubs, and you do well, there's your bias.  It gives you confidence and that makes all the difference in the world.  If you don't like looking down at a club/ball, there's a good chance your performance will suffer.  It really has much less to do with whic company makes the balls/clubs as many are just as good.  

If you are a single digit handicapper, .... you probably have a more knowledeable assessment of various brands.  But, having said that, confidence is still the key.

Titleist drive (TS1)., Callaway Epic Star 5wood; MAVRIK hybrids, Callaway irons, Ping Sand wedge and Vokey 60* wedge.  Still using my Wilson 8813 and am looking for a new putter.  My wife's bag is all Callaway.  I retired from the USAF after 30 years and 17 moves --loved my career.

55 minutes ago, Terfra1 said:

The fun thing about biases is that they don't have to make sense.
Pros- name brand equipment, for the most part, putters that have an alignment aid, such as See-More, balls that cost less than $40/dozen, Spiked golf shoes, inexpensive range finders
Against- PXG anything- can't stand Parsons' raspy voice, any Dick's Sporting Goods brand, Titleist golf balls, long putters, huge putter grips.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Have you tried the Maxfli Tour golf balls? Just seeing as one of your pros is balls that cost less than $40/doz...and you can get 4 doz. Maxfli Tours for $119 and they perform on par, at least for me, with ProV1

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I won't pay for anything Maxfli.  Which is a shame because when I find one of their top of the line balls, I love it.  I like the DTC savings, but I hate Dicks Sporting Goods politics.  I am a hunter and shooter too, so when they buckled and closed their Field and Stream stores because guns are scary, I took my money elsewhere.

PXG Gen 5 9 degree driver, Sub70 949 3h and 4h, PXG Gen 4 5-W, PXG Forged 50, 54, 58, Mizuno M-Craft V putter, Sun Mountain Bag C150 bag, Vice Pro Plus

Pro V snob checking in! Here, try the Kirkland. Pass. Try the Soft X! Also pass. But Rahmbo… Bad reasoning, he plays a Cally driver. What’s wrong with a Cally driver? It’s like the Seth Meyers bit, “There’s something wrong with your door handle. It’s attached to a Hyundai.” I’d feel better, if I threw a ball out of bounds, then hit my third shot with a Titleist 3 wood.

Equipment needs to make sense. Titleist makes square faced drivers and fairways. Driving irons have a hybrid body with a FLAT face. The problem with Mizuno HMB’s and Titleist T-150’s is that I can only play one set. Taylor makes Hi-Toe wedges. The freakin’ grooves go all the way onto the toe!

And for goodness sakes, of all the clubs, putters can now have lie angle balance, or torque balance, or be face balanced at impact.  I love the feel of a plastic faced Odyssey, the looks and prestige of a Cameron, and the popularity of Spiders can’t be denied. But none of them made sense once I saw toe up technology. Yes, my hair is on fire about this!

Then there’s PXG. I wouldn’t spend your money on ebay to donate one of their clubs. They chose a side in the PGA/LIV thing. And it’s not that they chose wrong, it’s that they chose drama. If I want drama, I’ll tell my wife I bought the T-150’s!

Happy with the bag once I valued sense over feelings.

It’s funny, generally at a fitting if the various drivers perform roughly the same I usually pick a Titleist driver.  I rarely look at a Callaway.  I just don’t like the look. Which is interesting since when I started I always bought a Callaway.  I also don’t like the look of a PXG driver too.

I really wanted to like a Cobra driver, but the last time I went home without a Titleist driver, I bought a TM.  I am definitely biased.  I think I mostly have Titleist golf caps too.