TESTERS WANTED! ×

i20 or 712AP1 irons ?

bcgolf

funny u shd say fitting joe 30 handicap who cant play GI clubs. i remembered a 28 marker tellin me tht custom fitting is supposed to help his swing- i kept thkg to myself which swing wl u lk me to fit u for? the one where u pull on 50yards to the left or the one tt u shank it 50 yards right?

ninjacobra, in English please :lol: I'm just joking around with you. I had a terrible time reading that post and figuring out what you were saying maybe I am just getting older. I think that it says something about OEMs and there quest to create a "quick fix" for the higher handicap golfer right?

I always cringe when I hear a player has bought into a single OEM and will not play anything else for one reason or another. I feel that if you want to learn something about your game I recommend buying any old 6iron blade (eBay one for $20) put a shaft in it that fits your swing, learn you to hit that club well. I also hat the open and shut faces on drivers I think every driver head should have a square face angle personally that is the only way you know if the shot was you or not IMHO.

What is more interesting is that Really AP1 doesn't fit into a "players cb" in terms of offset and loft amount plus just size of the head as well. A 45* PW, offset that matches a lot of GI irons, this might work for some people but for others it will not. The Ping i20 I'll be honest where I have not hit one of the Ping i20s but everyone that I have talked to that has seem to love those irons, I have heard a few ping lovers call them "the best set ping has made".

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

funny u shd say fitting joe 30 handicap who cant play GI clubs. i remembered a 28 marker tellin me tht custom fitting is supposed to help his swing- i kept thkg to myself which swing wl u lk me to fit u for? the one where u pull on 50yards to the left or the one tt u shank it 50 yards right?

I really wish this sentence were attached to every line out there that said "get custom fit", maybe with some grammar corrections though ;).

Unless you have a repeatable swing and good fundamentals, it makes no sense to get fit unless you don't have any clubs, in which case a cheap set that's built to the right length is probably good enough.

bcgolf, congrats on the i20s, Ping makes great clubs. I bought a Nome this year and absolutely love it. As far as OEMs go, they have the best custom options and you can re-tune your clubs later as you need.

bcgolf, congrats on the i20s, Ping makes great clubs. I bought a Nome this year and absolutely love it. As far as OEMs go, they have the best custom options and you can re-tune your clubs later as you need.

Forgot to mention, bought Tour-S Rustique wedges to replace worn out Vokeys. Actually, only my beloved 58/08 was worn out, but I'm going from 3 wedge system to 4 wedge system so I couldn't use it anymore, wink wink

And wdgolf, please don't mention the Nome too much .. it is number one my wishlist right now .. must resist as I really love my twoball ... (bought a Sydney for my wife, but she doesn't know it yet, gorgeous putter)

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

I had a friend get some I20's this weekend. He kicked my butt on Friday and Saturday with them. He shot his lifetime best score of 71 on Friday. He also shot well again on Saturday, but he was unable to three peat on Sunday and was back in the 80's where he normally shoots. We were in different groups Saturday and Sunday but his absolutely loves them. He changed from K15's with graphite shafts to I20's steel shafts. I hit one on Friday but he has regular flex shafts and I need XS shafts so it felt like a noodle compared to what I hit now.

Another friend went from Adams A3OS to Adams a12OS and thinks the hybrids (3,4,5) are awesome but is not happy with the other clubs. He says he has no idea where they are going.

And still another friend is playing the K15's that the first guy replaced and is replacing his Callaway X 16 or something like that. He loves these Pings.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I really wish this sentence were attached to every line out there that said "get custom fit", maybe with some grammar corrections though ;).

Unless you have a repeatable swing and good fundamentals, it makes no sense to get fit unless you don't have any clubs, in which case a cheap set that's built to the right length is probably good enough.

haha sorry guys i typed that while i finished work and was not making sens.

what i meant was i find it ironic whn joe 30 handicaps come in and say they cant play GI clubs becus it will not help them improve. we see low to scratch players n even tour pros using GI clubs. Gi clubs arent gonna hurt their game its only gna help them get better till they get good enuf to start thinking abt working the ball around.

a high handicapper doesn need to worry about custom fit exotic shaft options and blade length and everythg spining their shafts. just need a set tt is the right length and lie angle.most oem stock shafts takes care of the mass market so as long as they are fitted for the right shaft flex it wld work

people come in and have an idea that they can jst buy a better game and expect the club to change that 70yard cut into a baby draw and hv no clue why their score isnt changing. how can u expect a radical change to ur shots if u dont mk a radical change to their swing?

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooooooo, 3 days ago my i20's and Tour-S Rustique wedges were delivered. So you'd think I'd be all over them and hit them asap. That's what I thought would happen. Crazy reality is I can't bring myself to retire the Mizuno's and Vokey's and get the Ping's all scratched up and dirty. I've always seen my golfclubs as tools, but it is very hard for me at the moment to break in the new gear, especially the rustique wedges, they look sooooo prety, much nicer then the Vokeys .. I think I'm in love .. sigh ..

Anyone else had such a strange experience/feelings with new clubs / new Pings ?

Soooooooooo, 3 days ago my i20's and Tour-S Rustique wedges were delivered. So you'd think I'd be all over them and hit them asap. That's what I thought would happen. Crazy reality is I can't bring myself to retire the Mizuno's and Vokey's and get the Ping's all scratched up and dirty. I've always seen my golfclubs as tools, but it is very hard for me at the moment to break in the new gear, especially the rustique wedges, they look sooooo prety, much nicer then the Vokeys .. I think I'm in love .. sigh ..

Anyone else had such a strange experience/feelings with new clubs / new Pings ?

There's always withdrawal and regrets, but in the end going with the younger, hotter one is always best :)

Looking forward to pics of your first nick or scratch :P

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Well, I finally got round to trying out the new i20's and tour-s on the range. No honeymoon period, no love at first sight. I'm having a difficult time adjusting to them, difficult time loving them. They feel so light, so boardy, so clicky. Some of the grips were not put on straight, annoying. Makes me wonder what else they were careless with. Tour-s grind feels "sticky" in the green stuff, doesn't react to turf as I was used to with the Vokeys. Haven't tried the bunker yet. Tour-s feels hard, boardy, clicky with the Stiff CFS compared to Vokeys with Stiff KBS. I have a hard time hitting the 55/13 tour-s the same distance as I did my 58/08 Vokey .. go figure ..

So basically, it will take some time to get used to or even fall in love .. if at all .. going to give it some time and we'll see .. to be continued ..

To answer your first question, I have a really hard time with getting my Mizzies dirty and scratched. I have been playing them for two months now and after every hit of the ball I go over and clean them with my Frogger towel, and dry them and replace the head cover. I even polish them up with another towel first. Pings on the other hand look like gardening tools right out of the box. :D when compared to the double chrome finish on Mizzies.

I have a friend that just moved from the K15's to the I20's. He loves them. I like the looks of the hybrids and driver but not so much the irons. But then again it is like being married to Jane Seymour or Cheryl Tiegs or Michelle Pfiffer. Sure these are older models with a few miles on them but would you really complain.

Edit. I am actually on the course and it just occurred to me that I slandered your i20's. For the record i20's and Ansers are the exception to the rule.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, just back from second DR session with the irons and par3 hole session with the wedges. Just can't get a feel for them, it frustrates me. I really want to love these irons and wedges as I'm a firm believer in what Ping is trying to do, ie generally being the most forgiving in its class. Ping makes top notch gear, great engineering, also everyone keeps telling me how great they are, and how forgiving. And that is something I can benefit from as a 18hcp, that I need as a 18hcp. But there just is no click for me at the moment, no trust anymore, they don't speak to me, and that starts to mess with my mind.

Than I take out the stray Mizuno and Vokey that I still carry in my bag as a benchmark, and bang, like coming home, love the feel, familiar, soft, progressive, communicative...

It's all between the ears I guess, you have to trust your gear, and that's not always measurable or rational ... like I said before, maybe I'm just a Mizuno Vokey combo guy as I'm used to them ...

Long story short. Cleaned the hardly touched i20's and tour-s, put them in their Ping DLX bag, put their socks on again, and put them in storage. Giving the beloved Mizunos and Vokeys a thourough bath as I write this and then they are going back in the bag !

Don't know what I'm going to do with the Pings. Just let them rest a bit and try again later. Or just put them in my golf collection. Or sell them ... Time will tell ...

Off them and get the AP1's you were considering.

I did put them up for sale. If I get a good price, they are gone !

If not, I'll get some leadtape, and start fooling around with getting the swingweight up to see if that changes the equation.

Sorry to hear you're not chuffed about your i20's. I've had mine since March and couldn't be happier. But it all comes down to what feels good in the hands of the person swinging them. My hcp has dropped 3 pts since I was fitted for the Pings, but I'm not silly enough to attribute that to mere garden tools... :D

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

SeeRed, what swingweight did you get ?

I just ordered stock D0, and I've started wondering if that attributes to the "lack of substance" feeling I get. The not knowing where the club/clubhead is, the feeling of no mass behind the ball at impact, the feeling I'm swinging a toothpick instead of a golfclub ...

SeeRed, what swingweight did you get ?

I just ordered stock D0, and I've started wondering if that attributes to the "lack of substance" feeling I get. The not knowing where the club/clubhead is, the feeling of no mass behind the ball at impact, the feeling I'm swinging a toothpick instead of a golfclub ...

I also have the std D0 weight, with TT DG S300 shafts. And honestly, I was not in love with the feel of them at first- and by at first I mean for the first months of playing them. But I stuck with them because of the results I saw during the fitting. I didn't love the feel then either, but I hit them better than anything else I tried that day or previously. I've now had them for 6 months or so and know what their feel is like. They do provide feedback once you are familiar with them, and they are a really solid iron.

STX xForm 3, 35"

I also have the std D0 weight, with TT DG S300 shafts. And honestly, I was not in love with the feel of them at first- and by at first I mean for the first months of playing them. But I stuck with them because of the results I saw during the fitting. I didn't love the feel then either, but I hit them better than anything else I tried that day or previously. I've now had them for 6 months or so and know what their feel is like. They do provide feedback once you are familiar with them, and they are a really solid iron.

Oh boy this is really good to hear. I thought I was alone in this because all you ever hear is instant praise for the i20's. So I'll take some leadtape and a lot of patience to get to know them properly after competition season, if I can't off them that is.

Oh boy this is really good to hear. I thought I was alone in this because all you ever hear is instant praise for the i20's. So I'll take some leadtape and a lot of patience to get to know them properly after competition season, if I can't off them that is.

Before you ugly them up with lead tape, you might contact Ping and ask about having the swing weight changed. I had a friend that just got some I20s and sent them back to Ping to get the lie or something changed. They charged him $5 each and had them just a week. That is pretty good service.

Put the Mizzys back in the bag...No regrets....Just fond memories....

Just measured the swingweights of the Pings. Couldn't believe the results. Swingweights ranging from D1 to D4 in the irons (D1-D5 Mizuno), D8 and D9 (D5 and D6 Vokeys) in the wedges. OK, maybe my measuring isn't really as exact as it could be with my kitchen scale and tape measure, but it can't make that much difference, can it. Custom fitting ? Looks like they are a bit careless with things (maybe some grips not on straight was a first clue). Makes you wonder what else they were careless with, too bad I can't measure the shaft frequency/profile ...

I knew OEM's were just taking us customers for a ride, but I had hopes Ping was going to be a bit different, a bit better. Who can you trust ? Honestly, should I start to build my own clubs ?

Ping i20:

---------

4: 420gr/735mm D4

5: 426gr/725mm D2

6: 432gr/725mm D4

7: 434gr/715mm D1

8: 442gr/715mm D4

9: 448gr/702mm D1

W: 458gr/702mm D3

U: 458gr/702mm D3

Tour-s:

-------

55/13: 462gr/711mm D8

60/TS: 472gr/708mm D9

It does however prove I cannot trust my feel, as I felt they were lower swingweight as my Mizuno's, because they felt lighter to me. And when I measure it, that just isn't true, they are basically in the same range.

Due to the nature of casting versus forging, you will get more variations in the weight of the heads with a cast club. Ping says this and they also claimed that is why you buy them as a set because they weigh them to make sure the set is matched. Of course this was back in the ISI days when I read this. I could not speak for what they do now, but several years ago I read Ping say this.

Due to the nature of casting versus forging, you will get more variations in the weight of the heads with a cast club. Ping says this and they also claimed that is why you buy them as a set because they weigh them to make sure the set is matched. Of course this was back in the ISI days when I read this. I could not speak for what they do now, but several years ago I read Ping say this.

Still same story. That's why they have the CTP, custom tuning port, to get the SW right. But there seems to be, at least in my case, a discrepancy in what they claim and what they do !

Still same story. That's why they have the CTP, custom tuning port, to get the SW right. But there seems to be, at least in my case, a discrepancy in what they claim and what they do !

Please say it isn't so. A golf OEM not doing what they say, next thing you know that new driver I just got will not give me 40 more yards.:P

I do not have a new driver coming. I did reshaft my old one and at some point I will review it.

Had a serious meltdown on the course yesterday. For me, from a mental / psychological perspective, that was THE perfect moment to put the i20's back in the bag. Played 6 holes with them today, and they were just fine, not nearly as boardy as on the rangemats. Tommorrow first full 18 holes with the i20's, fingers crossed.

Vokeys are still in the bag though, can't change too much at once ;-)

Hope the i20's help to restore a little confidence! I did not do mine justice today, but that was definitely not the fault of the clubs. I know they're going to perform if I do!

STX xForm 3, 35"

• 2 weeks later...

After being sick for a week without any golf, it again was THE perfect time to also put all the Tour-s wedges in the bag again, so every old club is retired now. Funny, irons and wedges seem much less stiff and boardy now than at first. Makes me wonder if my brain is just adapting to the new inputs, or, and don't laugh now, if there is a "settling period" for new hardware to get over the marriage of clubhead, shaft and grip and find its place (if that makes any sense at all) ;-)

Anyhow, irons feel much softer now. Missing left again. Really soft feeling on good impact, but also a bit of and exploding off the face feeling. The i20 has a bit of a hot face. Feedback is still very very faint and muted though, very hard to feel where I missed what. What I do notice is the i20's are fantastic on fat shots, they really give more distance from fat misses than my MX25's. They do have considerably less spin and lower flight though, everything seems to roll out a bit now on the green, whereas with the MX25 I would find my ball closer than my pitchmark, even with the long irons. I notice my i20's being a club shorter than my MX25's were.

Slowly building up a relationship with my Tour-S wedges. I like them for chipping now. But funny how I can't seem to control the 55/13 out of the bunker as I am still used to a 58/08 Vokey. Maybe I should get the 60/TS scratched up in the bunker too as it was relativly little sand (only few centimeters) on hardpannish bottom. Full shots with them still no love though. 58/08 Vokey with stiff KBS gives me more height, length and possibly better dispersion too, than 55/13 with stiff CFS.

Summary: I don't hate my new Ping gear anymore, but can't say there is love yet. Still hate the fact swingweight (and what else?) are all over the place, grrrrrrrr Ping.

to be continued ...

• 1 year later...

... It's been about a year now with the i20 irons and tour s wedges.  Hcp only went down from 18 to 16 EGA, health issues, not enough practice and play.  BUT again, still no love for my Pings.  While I do LOVE LOVE LOVE my G15 driver and hybrid, I'm only luke warm what my i20's are concerned, likewise the tour-s wedges.  They have performed well though.  They are great on fat shots.  They wear very, very well.  But still I haven't stopped thinking about my former Mizuno MX25 and Vokey wedges, which I was stupid enough to sell.

Lately I've been haunted more and more by thoughts of going back, back to Mizuno and Vokey.  And then we're off again with the brain telling me to go for the EZ-forged (my AP1 / GI candidate from last year), and the heart longing for the MP-54 (my i20 / CB candidate from last year).  Sigh.

After being sick for a week without any golf, it again was THE perfect time to also put all the Tour-s wedges in the bag again, so every old club is retired now. Funny, irons and wedges seem much less stiff and boardy now than at first. Makes me wonder if my brain is just adapting to the new inputs, or, and don't laugh now, if there is a "settling period" for new hardware to get over the marriage of clubhead, shaft and grip and find its place (if that makes any sense at all) ;-)

Anyhow, irons feel much softer now. Missing left again. Really soft feeling on good impact, but also a bit of and exploding off the face feeling. The i20 has a bit of a hot face. Feedback is still very very faint and muted though, very hard to feel where I missed what. What I do notice is the i20's are fantastic on fat shots, they really give more distance from fat misses than my MX25's. They do have considerably less spin and lower flight though, everything seems to roll out a bit now on the green, whereas with the MX25 I would find my ball closer than my pitchmark, even with the long irons. I notice my i20's being a club shorter than my MX25's were.

Slowly building up a relationship with my Tour-S wedges. I like them for chipping now. But funny how I can't seem to control the 55/13 out of the bunker as I am still used to a 58/08 Vokey. Maybe I should get the 60/TS scratched up in the bunker too as it was relativly little sand (only few centimeters) on hardpannish bottom. Full shots with them still no love though. 58/08 Vokey with stiff KBS gives me more height, length and possibly better dispersion too, than 55/13 with stiff CFS.

Summary: I don't hate my new Ping gear anymore, but can't say there is love yet. Still hate the fact swingweight (and what else?) are all over the place, grrrrrrrr Ping.

to be continued ...

Archived