TESTERS WANTED! ×

Which Top Teacher Would You Take A Lesson With?

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which Top Instructor Would You Most Like to Take Lessons From?

• Butch Harmon
    • David Leadbetter
    • Jim Mclean
    • Mike Bender
    • Hank Haney
    • Stan Utley
    • Jim Flick
    • Dave Stockton
    • Dave Pelz
    • Randy Smith
    • Michael Breed
    • Rick Smith
    • Peter Kostis
    • Mike Malaska
    • Sean Foley
    • Other - Explain in the Comments.

• SPY VIP

I've been thinking a lot lately about golf instruction, and golf schools. I'm sure will dig into that more a little later on, but for now, I was wondering which top teacher you'd most like to spend a couple of days working with?

I picked some of the better known names off GD's top 50.

See the attached Poll. 15 choices + an "other" option.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Butch Harmon. I like the fact that he doesn't seem to be a method guy, and he seems to be happy to leave students' quirks alone if they're not hurting anything (i.e. Dustin Johnson's bowed left wrist).

I'd also throw out a mention for Brian Manzella. That guy is doing some really interesting scientific study on the golf swing.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I voted Butch Harmon. Hard to name any instructor who is more respected.

I've read instruction books written by many of those in the poll plus some others. Jim Flick and Bob Toski rank high for me based on their instruction books. They focus a lot on how the swing should feel and I can often go out and play better just having read some of their "feel" thoughts. A lesson by either Flick or Toski would be high on my list too. For putting, definitely Dave Stockton.

I voted for Pelz, because short game is the most important. He can also help with the full swing but the short game is where the pars come from. It was close between Pelz, Stockton, Harmon, and Ledbetter. Ledbetter because he is South African and my wife is South African.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Haney of course..................NOT! :lol:

It's a tough one between Harmon, Leadbetter and Foley. But I think I would go for Foley. Older teachers/professors seem to have a hard time teaching me, so perhaps Foley could pull it off :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

A month ago I would probably have voted for Rick Smith. I have been on the range near enough to him while he was giving a lesson (at TreeTops), and I really liked his practical approach. However, I voted for Butch Harmon. I recently got a free copy of his new CD, and it's fixed a problem I had that three local guys never did. Unfortunately, there's no way I can afford not just him, but also his school in Vegas is way beyond my means, regardless of who does the actual instructing.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

I recently got a free copy of his new CD, and it's fixed a problem I had that three local guys never did.

What problem was it?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

What problem was it?

I knew someone would ask, but that was quick! :D

For too many years since shoulder surgery the only way I could hit the ball solid was to play it far back in my stance. I could never get my swing to bottom out even as far forward as the middle of my stance. My shots were all too low, and I fought a push-hook. The three guys I worked with always just insisted I move the ball forward, but could never do anything to help me get there. I felt like a grade-schooler getting lectured by the nuns, "Move it forward!" In his section on the backswing Butch talks about width, saying, "Try and keep your right hand as far away from your head as you can." I looked at my top-of-the-backswing position in a mirror, and sure enough my hands were right next to my ear. By working on keeping my hands higher, boom!, swing arc came forward, ball flight is way up, and consistency is much improved. My yardages with mid-irons is up, short irons are the same, and wedges are shorter, but with a much better trajectory. I used to hit a 56° SW 115 yards, but I'm not really a long hitter (driver about 250), and I couldn't stop it. I still need a lot more reps, as you don't change the habits of years so easily, but I'm stoked for the coming season!

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Butch Harmon. I like the fact that he doesn't seem to be a method guy, and he seems to be happy to leave students' quirks alone if they're not hurting anything (i.e. Dustin Johnson's bowed left wrist).

I'd also throw out a mention for Brian Manzella. That guy is doing some really interesting scientific study on the golf swing.

+1 for Butch Harmon. I am not much of a cookie cutter type swing methodology type of person, I just try to work with what I currently have.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• SPY VIP

Mike Malaska is actually a very intriguing one for me. He's not as well-known as some of the others, but he's currently the #1 rated instructor by the PGA. Tim and I had an interesting chat with him during our visit to the Kingdom. He believes everyone has what he calls an "athletic personality". Rather than teach a system...if I'm remembering correctly, he begins by identifying his student's athletic personality, and then essentially teaches to the strengths inherent to that personality.

Another name (one not on the list) that intrigues me quite a bit is Martin Chuck. He doesn't have the track record of some of the other guys, but given the tools he created, he would seem to know a lot about helping golfers improve their games.

Finally, Michael Breed also intrigues me. Not sure how much you can infer from watching the Golf Fix, but he strikes me as a guy who'll do what it takes to get results.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Well, since I have had a couple of lessons with Manzella (he gives joint lessons with Mike Jacobs down on Long Island once a year) I have to give the Bman a vote. Jacobs and Manzella are going to be on that list some day. I would NEVER spend a nickel with Hank Haney, especially after watching his project season two with Ray Romano. I am familiar with Martin Chuck, as he was a frequent poster on Manzella's website, and always had great insight.

Taking a lesson with a Trackman or Flightscope X-2 and a Casio camera is a great experience. You can see how the swing changes you make impact your club face, path, ball speed, etc, while simultaneously observing what it looks like in 210-420fps.

Archived