Between clubs: hit it hard or take some off?

G56744

All other things being equal, if you are between clubs, are you more likely to try the “hard” shorter club or take something off the longer club?

I usually go the latter route, choking down or making a three-quarter swing only to catch it flush and fly the green anyway. If I try the “hard” shot, it usually spins a bunch, flies higher and ends up short. It’s the 50-50-90 rule in full effect (if you have a 50-50 shot at getting it right, you’ll pick wrong 90% of the time).

How about everyone else?

• Like 7

Driver: Ping G425 LST, 10.5 degrees  

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max 3HL 16.5 degrees 

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black 20 degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 21 5-PW

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48, 54, 60; Vokey SM4 58 degrees

Putter: SeeMore Original FGP/Odyssey White Hot OG #9

Depends on the conditions.

If it is windy, I drop down as swinging harder = more spin and potential for ballooning or being pushed off line more.

Where is the trouble?  When I take something off, I tend to get handsy and hook it.

In general, I like to use the "make an aggressive swing to a safe target" approach.

• Like 7

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

I find that I am more accurate if I use the longer club and take something off. Using the shorter club usually does not work out well for me. If I go at it harder I tend to pull it left a bit. Coming around in the club path instead of coming through. Since most of the trouble is in front of the green to guard it, it’s better to be longer. Just be careful not to take to much off the longer club or you will be in the same trouble.

• Like 7

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

I've been trying to be disciplined and taking the longer club although what's around the green plays a factor.  Is there water short, is long going to be an impossible up and down, etc.

• Like 3

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Could have sworn I saw this same thread a few months back.

Anyway for me normally take some off. Pin location matters tho. 

Arccos showed i come up short more often then not so it also seems to be the smarter play for my game. Have a bit extra club usually doesn't hurt too much.

• Like 6

⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

I am pretty categorically a "take more club" player.  But with my swing speed, one could say that I take 3/4 swings all the time 😉 

But when I try to really get into a shot and hit it 5 yards farther than my "zone" yardage... I have a tendency to drive my body through the swing, which causes me to block the shot because I don't release the club... and that ends up being equal equal distance or short to my "normal" swing... AND well right of the target.  

'taking a little off' really only works for me on the shorter irons... this is actually one of the things I improved most on this past season... the 3/4 shots with the short approach irons/wedges.   Long irons (say 7 and above and into the hybrids) if I'm in between distances I take more club, and accept being past the hole if I flush it.

• Like 5
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Otto Phlex PLB 45 "L"
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • TaylorMade Stealth 5-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour / Titleist AVX
3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Could have sworn I saw this same thread a few months back.

My bad if I’m repeating a previous thread. I should have learned my lesson about checking for previous topics before I walked into that Blade Irons for practice snake pit. I will accept any punishment you and the other mods hand down. (I assume there is some kind of forum disciplinary committee?)

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, G56744 said:

My bad if I’m repeating a previous thread. I should have learned my lesson about checking for previous topics before I walked into that Blade Irons for practice snake pit. I will accept any punishment you and the other mods hand down. (I assume there is some kind of forum disciplinary committee?)

Not at all! Often threads tale similar routes or discussions but the questions asked are slightly different. 

I normally use the search function first, but not a worry on my end. Good discussion for us to have!

• Like 4

⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

I find if you're going into a green and you have to swing harder than I am going to lose where the ball is going, much rather have more club. If I'm at the top of the bag, it is what it is. I have hit driver off the deck on very rare occasions though ..

• Like 3

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway X2 Hot, 9°, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Cleveland Halo 3 Hybrid 22°

Cleveland TA7 6-9, ProjectX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

wow, great topic, a real "tool" to get your index down and potentially lower scores and beat the heck out of your buddies lol... 

So, having said that, my advice is to work hard on this" in between" shot, whatever works for you, go with it , fine tune it, put it on your list of "must practice at least 2 hours every week" list, or, like I do, in your warm up before you play. 

once I decided on the 'longer club, clock method" and got comfortable with it I have practiced it, fine tuned it, and put it in my arsenal, for about 3 years now and it has shown in my scores and in my competitive scores. 

And dont' kid yourself, it is very rare that 100% of your numbers going into the pin will be exact, full swing numbers...I would say more like 10% exact numbers all the rest are "tweeters"

Thank you for bringing up this important thread and good luck to all the players finding their Niche...

• Like 5

committed to performance excellence

31 minutes ago, G56744 said:

Hey G, that Blades for Practice thread was well attended... nothing wrong with some healthy debate!!  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
24 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

I find if you're going into a green and you have to swing harder than I am going to lose where the ball is going, much rather have more club. If I'm at the top of the bag, it is what it is. I have hit driver off the deck on very rare occasions though ..

Are you NOT supposed to do that????  🙂   How else am I going to reach the green from 220 out of the fairway???  🤣

• Haha 3
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid

I read somewhere that if you are using an 8 iron through wedge just lean on it. If you are using 7 iron or less take an extra club.

• Like 2

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft & 0811 XF w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Titleist T300 48* GW w/Fubuki MV Senior shaft and Edison forged 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Ping Ketsch

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

25 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Hey G, that Blades for Practice thread was well attended... nothing wrong with some healthy debate!!  🙂  

Thank you and I agree. That was a great discussion. I just wasn’t expecting both sides to have such strong opinions when I posted it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

'taking a little off' really only works for me on the shorter irons... this is actually one of the things I improved most on this past season... the 3/4 shots with the short approach irons/wedges.   Long irons (say 7 and above and into the hybrids) if I'm in between distances I take more club, and accept being past the hole if I flush it.

Same here. I’m pretty comfortable hitting short irons with a partial swing. I may choke down on a mid or long iron if I want to take a few yards off or attempt to hit it lower, but a partial swing on those clubs for anything other than a punch out has disaster written all over it. 

• Like 4

I've found that when I try to take some off a club, I end up coming out of my posture and thinning the heck out of the shot, which usually causes it to cruise right on over the green anyways 😂. Definitely something I will be working on, but I've found that playing the club that I know is going to be short and taking a full swing gets me close enough where I can put myself in a position to try and chip to pin high or putt from the fringe in a best case scenario. 

• Like 4

Unofficial Craftsman Golf Head Cover Review

default_titelist-small.jpg TSi3 9* - Tensei White AV Raw Stiff Flex

default_taylormade-small.jpg Sim2 Max 15* - UST Mamiya LIN-Q Purple 6F4

default_taylormade-small.jpg Burner Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18*

default_taylormade-small.jpg RSi 1 4-PW

default_taylormade-small.jpg Spider Tour Putter

10 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I've found that when I try to take some off a club, I end up coming out of my posture and thinning the heck out of the shot, which usually causes it to cruise right on over the green anyways 😂. Definitely something I will be working on, but I've found that playing the club that I know is going to be short and taking a full swing gets me close enough where I can put myself in a position to try and chip to pin high or putt from the fringe in a best case scenario. 

it does take a lot of work to get it figured out.

• Like 3

committed to performance excellence

6 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I've found that playing the club that I know is going to be short and taking a full swing gets me close enough where I can put myself in a position to try and chip to pin high or putt from the fringe in a best case scenario. 

I think I do something similar. If there is trouble short, or long is not a bad spot, I’ll look at the distance to the back of the green and pick the club that will get me closest to that number without going over. That way I know I can swing aggressively with very little chance of going long and that a mishit has the best chances of clearing the trouble. My scores would probably be lower if I did this on every approach shot, but it’s easy to think rationally like this when I’m not on the course…

• Like 5

When you say "take some off" does that mean you swing easier or choke down on the longer club? I find when I try to swing easy it doesn't generally go well, I do better taking the longer club and gripping down a bit.

• Like 5
  • :callaway-small:Rogue LS ST Max 8 Degree with Dumina SF505x Autoflex 
  • :callaway-small: Callaway 4 Wood Stiff
  • :Sub70: 4H 949 stiff
  • :mizuno-small: 4-W Stiff
  • :mizuno-small: 50, 56 & 60 Stiff
  • :ping-small: Ping Anser putter - 1991 
  • :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone BXS ball
  • image.png.a4be6855a3c68e76804c659956cd6b4f.png
  •  image.png.0c60a1de96989c2f2d7aef871c878af8.png4 seater red

image.png.c492764fe4040ff6466581941683c25b.png

50 minutes ago, G56744 said:

I think I do something similar. If there is trouble short, or long is not a bad spot, I’ll look at the distance to the back of the green and pick the club that will get me closest to that number without going over. That way I know I can swing aggressively with very little chance of going long and that a mishit has the best chances of clearing the trouble. My scores would probably be lower if I did this on every approach shot, but it’s easy to think rationally like this when I’m not on the course…

I really like this thought approach. It has never occurred to me to work off the distance at the back of the green if the pin location isn’t an ideal club distance. Isn’t it amazing how these thoughts don’t occur on the course?! Haha

• Like 7

Unofficial Craftsman Golf Head Cover Review

default_titelist-small.jpg TSi3 9* - Tensei White AV Raw Stiff Flex

default_taylormade-small.jpg Sim2 Max 15* - UST Mamiya LIN-Q Purple 6F4

default_taylormade-small.jpg Burner Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18*

default_taylormade-small.jpg RSi 1 4-PW

default_taylormade-small.jpg Spider Tour Putter