Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Between clubs: hit it hard or take some off?

I've been trying to be disciplined and taking the longer club although what's around the green plays a factor.  Is there water short, is long going to be an impossible up and down, etc.

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Could have sworn I saw this same thread a few months back.

Anyway for me normally take some off. Pin location matters tho. 

Arccos showed i come up short more often then not so it also seems to be the smarter play for my game. Have a bit extra club usually doesn't hurt too much.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I am pretty categorically a "take more club" player.  But with my swing speed, one could say that I take 3/4 swings all the time 😉 

But when I try to really get into a shot and hit it 5 yards farther than my "zone" yardage... I have a tendency to drive my body through the swing, which causes me to block the shot because I don't release the club... and that ends up being equal equal distance or short to my "normal" swing... AND well right of the target.  

'taking a little off' really only works for me on the shorter irons... this is actually one of the things I improved most on this past season... the 3/4 shots with the short approach irons/wedges.   Long irons (say 7 and above and into the hybrids) if I'm in between distances I take more club, and accept being past the hole if I flush it.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Could have sworn I saw this same thread a few months back.

My bad if I’m repeating a previous thread. I should have learned my lesson about checking for previous topics before I walked into that Blade Irons for practice snake pit. I will accept any punishment you and the other mods hand down. (I assume there is some kind of forum disciplinary committee?)

3 minutes ago, G56744 said:

My bad if I’m repeating a previous thread. I should have learned my lesson about checking for previous topics before I walked into that Blade Irons for practice snake pit. I will accept any punishment you and the other mods hand down. (I assume there is some kind of forum disciplinary committee?)

Not at all! Often threads tale similar routes or discussions but the questions asked are slightly different. 

I normally use the search function first, but not a worry on my end. Good discussion for us to have!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I find if you're going into a green and you have to swing harder than I am going to lose where the ball is going, much rather have more club. If I'm at the top of the bag, it is what it is. I have hit driver off the deck on very rare occasions though ..

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

wow, great topic, a real "tool" to get your index down and potentially lower scores and beat the heck out of your buddies lol... 

So, having said that, my advice is to work hard on this" in between" shot, whatever works for you, go with it , fine tune it, put it on your list of "must practice at least 2 hours every week" list, or, like I do, in your warm up before you play. 

once I decided on the 'longer club, clock method" and got comfortable with it I have practiced it, fine tuned it, and put it in my arsenal, for about 3 years now and it has shown in my scores and in my competitive scores. 

And dont' kid yourself, it is very rare that 100% of your numbers going into the pin will be exact, full swing numbers...I would say more like 10% exact numbers all the rest are "tweeters"

Thank you for bringing up this important thread and good luck to all the players finding their Niche...

committed to performance excellence

31 minutes ago, G56744 said:

Hey G, that Blades for Practice thread was well attended... nothing wrong with some healthy debate!!  🙂  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
24 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

I find if you're going into a green and you have to swing harder than I am going to lose where the ball is going, much rather have more club. If I'm at the top of the bag, it is what it is. I have hit driver off the deck on very rare occasions though ..

Are you NOT supposed to do that????  🙂   How else am I going to reach the green from 220 out of the fairway???  🤣

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I read somewhere that if you are using an 8 iron through wedge just lean on it. If you are using 7 iron or less take an extra club.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

1 hour ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

'taking a little off' really only works for me on the shorter irons... this is actually one of the things I improved most on this past season... the 3/4 shots with the short approach irons/wedges.   Long irons (say 7 and above and into the hybrids) if I'm in between distances I take more club, and accept being past the hole if I flush it.

Same here. I’m pretty comfortable hitting short irons with a partial swing. I may choke down on a mid or long iron if I want to take a few yards off or attempt to hit it lower, but a partial swing on those clubs for anything other than a punch out has disaster written all over it. 

I've found that when I try to take some off a club, I end up coming out of my posture and thinning the heck out of the shot, which usually causes it to cruise right on over the green anyways 😂. Definitely something I will be working on, but I've found that playing the club that I know is going to be short and taking a full swing gets me close enough where I can put myself in a position to try and chip to pin high or putt from the fringe in a best case scenario. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

10 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I've found that when I try to take some off a club, I end up coming out of my posture and thinning the heck out of the shot, which usually causes it to cruise right on over the green anyways 😂. Definitely something I will be working on, but I've found that playing the club that I know is going to be short and taking a full swing gets me close enough where I can put myself in a position to try and chip to pin high or putt from the fringe in a best case scenario. 

it does take a lot of work to get it figured out.

committed to performance excellence

6 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I've found that playing the club that I know is going to be short and taking a full swing gets me close enough where I can put myself in a position to try and chip to pin high or putt from the fringe in a best case scenario. 

I think I do something similar. If there is trouble short, or long is not a bad spot, I’ll look at the distance to the back of the green and pick the club that will get me closest to that number without going over. That way I know I can swing aggressively with very little chance of going long and that a mishit has the best chances of clearing the trouble. My scores would probably be lower if I did this on every approach shot, but it’s easy to think rationally like this when I’m not on the course…

When you say "take some off" does that mean you swing easier or choke down on the longer club? I find when I try to swing easy it doesn't generally go well, I do better taking the longer club and gripping down a bit.

• :callaway-small:Paradym AI Smoke Max Ventus TR Blue 5S
  • :Sub70: 3 & 7W 949 stiff
  • :mizuno-small: 921 JPX Tour 5-W Stiff Nippon 120
  • :taylormade-small: MG4 Raw Grind 50, 56 & 60 Stiff
  • :ping-small: Ping Anser 2 putter 
  • :titleist-small: Pro V1
  • EZ Go 4 seater
50 minutes ago, G56744 said:

I think I do something similar. If there is trouble short, or long is not a bad spot, I’ll look at the distance to the back of the green and pick the club that will get me closest to that number without going over. That way I know I can swing aggressively with very little chance of going long and that a mishit has the best chances of clearing the trouble. My scores would probably be lower if I did this on every approach shot, but it’s easy to think rationally like this when I’m not on the course…

I really like this thought approach. It has never occurred to me to work off the distance at the back of the green if the pin location isn’t an ideal club distance. Isn’t it amazing how these thoughts don’t occur on the course?! Haha

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

3 minutes ago, YourKillingMeSmalls said:

When you say "take some off" does that mean you swing easier or choke down on the longer club? I find when I try to swing easy it doesn't generally go well, I do better taking the longer club and gripping down a bit.

“Try to hit the longer club a shorter distance” is probably a better way to say it. When I first started playing, that meant swinging easier with disastrous results. Now it means choking down and partial swings. For example, 100 yards is  an in-between distance for me. My 48 degree wedge goes 110-115; my 54 goes 90-95. I’ve learned that if I choke down two inches on the 48 and take a 3/4 swing, I can hit it 100 yards pretty consistently. 

Very scenario dependent.  Back pin, I am probably hitting it harder.  Front pin, I am hitting the longer club with a choked down grip and swinging normal.  It will also depend on where the trouble is around the green.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I will always choose the longer club and swing softer. Swinging harder, almost always decreases control for me. Now even if their is a back pin, I am shooting front, or middle, even if that means coming up short of the green, most of the time (excluding a pond).  Almost without exception on the public, muni courses we play, we have a saying... "over is NEVER GOOD".  Most holes I've found your lucky if there is 10-20' beyond, and then its woods, brush, or something else that is going to cost a stroke.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

If between clubs, I will (a.) use the shorter club and swing longer, not harder or (b.) use the longer club, choke up a bit, and try to take a normal swing.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

3 minutes ago, David Leighton Reid said:

use the shorter club and swing longer, not harder

Love this comment David.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

On average, I'd take more club...but first one must ask:  Where's the trouble, long or short?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, stuka44 said:

Almost without exception on the public, muni courses we play, we have a saying... "over is NEVER GOOD".  Most holes I've found your lucky if there is 10-20' beyond, and then its woods, brush, or something else that is going to cost a stroke.

At the new club I joined the Pro told me the same thing.  Do not be long into any green. So of course, I was 10 yards short on everything on my first round.  At least I listened! But I looked over the back of each green once I got up on the putting surface. Because of the doubting Thomas that I am, I had to see for myself. He was correct. There were ball eat em ups everywhere. Creeks, deep traps, woods, OB. It's going to take a bit to figure this course out.     

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

6 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Are you NOT supposed to do that????  🙂   How else am I going to reach the green from 220 out of the fairway???  🤣

Last time spelled the end of my driver at the start of 2022 hahahah

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

Why not take 2 clubs extra then play a cut shot that will drop the yardage by about 15 yards thus giving you your in between shot? Seems simple enough...

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x