TESTERS WANTED! ×

Between clubs: hit it hard or take some off?

I tend to come up short more than long (probably 70/30 ratio), so I just grab the next lower lofted club and make a normal swing.  The approach aprons on our courses here are deceiving in that they don't look all that sloped but, for those having normal to high descent angle, they are ball stoppers - particularly this time of year.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Seems like most take extra club. In general. For those that do, what would it take for you look to take some more muscle and get a harder swing?

For me it would be front pin, no real front trouble and preferably harder conditions. Leaving myself short then may but be so much is a penalty. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Majority of the time I am taking extra club, I am significantly more accurate 3/4 swinging. I don’t typically grip down until I get to the wedges.

@GolfSpy_APHits really dependent on where things are to swing harder and size of the green m. Years ago I would have answered hulk smash everything but I am just significantly more accurate with more club smoother swing. If I am 180+ out that’s where I’ll typically swing a little more oomf, longer irons seem to like being swung with some giddee up occasionally 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Hard answer it all depends,  Hit it hard if adrenalin is a factor, if you have room short, and wind helping.   Hit it easy if you have room deep, are not feeling able to ramp up or the wind in your face.  

Next factor is where is the worse trouble, if it is left hit it easy, if it is right hit it hard, (or visa versa if you are left handed)  

Three, Albatross'

Three Holes in One

Plus, when I was 5 the first ball I ever hit on a golf course went in the hole, so I have that going for me.

My bag is a mish mash of Srixon drivers, cobra and adams fairways, TA1 irons and Hopkins wedges, plus a Cure putter.  

In that my coach is teaching me not to take a full swing on my normal shots, going only about 80%, I would take a full shot.....

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Seems like most take extra club. In general. For those that do, what would it take for you look to take some more muscle and get a harder swing?

For me it would be front pin, no real front trouble and preferably harder conditions. Leaving myself short then may but be so much is a penalty. 

Maybe a front pin with no traps to cover but even those situations have proven challenging on my courses here.  Billy Casper & Greg Nash are evil. 🤣

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Shotscope had a report that the majority of golfers will always miss the green short. I have always factored that into my club selection. I want a club that I comfortably carry the front of the green. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

I consider a number of factors, but in general, I’m more successful taking a longer club and taking a 3/4 swing.  I routinely take full and 3/4 swings with my wedges and practice them every trip to the range, so that always feels comfortable taking a little off.

But other considerations are important.  We have some greens that have sections with significant slopes.  One has an upward slope from front to back.  But on the backside of the green, there is a steep drop off which is all Bermuda rough.  Yesterday the pin was at the back.  In calm conditions, I probably just use my PW leaving a 15-20’ upward putt.  Yesterday, there was ~10mph we were hitting into.  I chose a 9i and took an easy swing and hit it perfectly about 2’ from the back fringe. One of the guys in my group hit almost identical shot, hit the back edge and rolled over.  I parred, he had to mini pitch, landed just past the hole then rolled 30’ down the green. 

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

Like many of you, I think it depends on the conditions and where the trouble is and where the pin is on the green.  If it's windy, I tend to take the longer club, unless the wind is at my back obviously.  If I have trouble left and right and back, but nothing in the front, AND a front pin I don't have any issue taking the lower club and coming up short.  I do a lot of bump and run shots around the green so I am pretty confident that if I'm short I will be able to get up and down fairly regularly.  The main thing I don't want to do is try to swing slower.  Every time I try to do that, I get all out of rhythm and the resulting shots are bad.  So when I do take longer club, I usually choke down.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

The longer the club, the more likely I am to take a hard swing. There has to be no trouble short or left (where my miss on a hard swing goes). I also look at how the ball is going to react when it lands. If the ball isn’t going to stick in the ground upon landing, my normal draw sets up well for a little chase onto a green. Some of the greens on my home course have a severe front-to-back slope and anything long leaves a very difficult downhill putt, so that’s a consideration as well. 

Depends on the trouble around the landing area. If a miss left is dead, I’ll hit it hard, as my 70% shot can sometimes turn into a pull. 

TSR2  9* Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

TRS2 15* Ventus Velocore Red 7S

TS 21* Diamana BF 80S

TSI 23* Ventus HB 8S

Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 PX 6.0

Vokey SM6 Raw 48F/SM8 50F/56M/60M

SC X Fantom 5

Vessel Player 14 2.0

22 hours ago, fozcycle said:

I read somewhere that if you are using an 8 iron through wedge just lean on it. If you are using 7 iron or less take an extra club.

Totally agree! I didn't read this, though, I just do this. But it's because I'm not all that good with long irons so I don't have the confidence to swing one harder to get more out of it. What I have to do is learn to choke up a bit when I do take a longer club because I invariably hit it flush with the smoother swing and go too far. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere 🤔

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X w/ LINQ M40X 6F3 Shaft, or Motore X F35R, or Newton 3-Dot

:srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft

:srixon-small: ZX MK II 23 deg Hybrid Iron

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter w/Stroke Lab shaft or :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice

Depends on where the trouble is.  Bunkering,Water, swales.  Error to the safest area of recovery 

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3wood: Titleist 917F

5 wood: Titleist 917F

irons Titleist T350 5-pe

hybrids Taylormade 4 

wedges: Titleist SM8 50/54/58

putter: Scotty Cameron Newport slotback

I finally figured out that my golf game is less bad when I 3/4 swing. I usually find less trouble.  Over swinging always put me in trouble. 

4-PW and UW Ping G710

Ping Glide 54 degree wedge

1,3,5 Taylor-Made Titanium bubble shafts (24years)

Top-Flite Gamer Putter

I know my carry distances for different backswing lengths. 8, 9, and 10 o'clock for all my wedges.

For other clubs, it depends on situation, lie, etc.  if I add or take some off.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

Generally,  hitting harder just creates more spin and not (for me) much difference in distance. I can clearly remember a practice round in the Spring a few years back where I had, like, 155 to a green (uphill slightly and into the wind).  I hit 7i and fell 20 yards short.  So I proceeded to drop additional balls and keep hitting.  7i NEVER got there.  Even the 6i barely made it on with my 6th or 7th try.   I learned that the ChromeSoft is not a good choice on windy days--AND  hitting it harder is not a good strategy for me. 

I practice half shots and 3/4 shots, so I am pretty comfortable with those options.   For me, generally a shoulder high swing (as opposed to full) will be about 1 less club of distance-- all things being equal.   So my 3/4 9i is a good choice for a PW distance.    Also, you can play with ball position and shape (draw or fade).    It is pretty easy to hood a PW about 10 degrees and aim 5 yards right, or so, to pick up another 5 yards of carry.   

Best to experiment when you play a practice round-- and then find out what you are most comfortable with and what is most effective. 

I will often drop down a club and go 3/4 smooth as a first choice all the time.  My general rule-of-thumb for most shots is the least amount of loft and the least amount of swing to accomplish the task.  That means hitting less than full approach shots, and using less loft around the green for pitches and chips.   For me, a shorter, controlled swing will just be more consistent and predictable and less prone to errors.   

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

On 1/24/2023 at 9:28 AM, G56744 said:

All other things being equal, if you are between clubs, are you more likely to try the “hard” shorter club or take something off the longer club?

I usually go the latter route, choking down or making a three-quarter swing only to catch it flush and fly the green anyway. If I try the “hard” shot, it usually spins a bunch, flies higher and ends up short. It’s the 50-50-90 rule in full effect (if you have a 50-50 shot at getting it right, you’ll pick wrong 90% of the time).

How about everyone else?

For me, it depends entirely on lie. If the ball is sitting up enough to where I think I can get a solid ball strike on it, on relatively flat ground, and I've got some room up ahead to work with, I will take the shorter club and power it up.

If the ball is sitting down, on a weird slope, positioned where my feet aren't level with it, or if the area up ahead looks dicey, I will typically club up, choke down half inch, and go more feel.

:srixon-small: Z785 9.5° |

:taylormade-small: M5 3W |

:nike-small: Sq Dymo^2 5W (just can't quit you) |

:taylormade-small: P790 4-AW |

:cleveland-small: RTX 4 56/60° |

THEE :odyssey-small:White Hot OG Rossie (2006)

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

All depends on the hole layout and where the trouble is long or short whether I club up or swing with both cheeks. Also, to add it depends on what club, I do have my favorites and some step children. 

921 Forged KBS $130s

T-22 Wedges

Rouge Max LS

Odyssey Ten 2-Ball lined 

depends on pin position. Short or middle pin, take more club. Choking down works for me. Back of the green pin, take the shorter club and swing normal. You never know what you might get with a flushed shot.

My reasoning, middle of the green is almost never bad. 

another thought: I think it's been proven that most amateurs don't really hit what they think is their target yardage with any approach club with any degree of regularity. If they hit their 7 iron 165 yards once, it will go that far forever. NOT! So to my way of thinking opting for a longer club is usually the better way to go. Commitment is everything whatever you pick.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

5 minutes ago, Benjamin Sokolowski said:

Take the longer club and choke up a half inch and swing normal 

reading this thread there are lots of personal moves that players are taking to achieve the "tween" shots. Interestingly enough for me, if I take the same club and grip down, 70% of the time I it it my normal carry distance and on occasion a bit further. I see many players on the PGA tour and lots on the LPGA tour grip down on their clubs all the time, so I know this style doesnt work for me.

committed to performance excellence

Depends on other factors (what is short, long, where is the proper miss, what are wind conditions). In general, I lean on wedges and short irons if I feel like I need a few extra yards out of them. I will try to hit a trap draw and flight it a bit lower. Longer clubs, I usually choke down a touch and try to make sure I make an aggressive, committed swing. 

All of that goes out the window if the conditions are windy or gusty. I am almost always taking longer clubs and trying to flight the ball lower in windy conditions.

TM SLDR 430 9*

Callaway Pro 3w

Nickent 17* 

Callaway Apex 4-pw

Cleveland RTX 50, 54, 58

TM Rossa Putter

For me it is trying minimize the big number. So I look at where do I want to miss if I miss. Long or short? Then you have to factor conditions, lie, wind, etc. Also be realistic when evaluating the numbers, especially on the given day you are playing not in your optimal conditions. 

For the love of the game!

Josiah

I almost always take more club and back off versus hoping for a perfect pure strike, and that has served me well. Not only do I get better distance control, I am more likely to go off line the harder I swing. The only time I use less club is when I've walked to my ball with the wrong club because I'm too lazy to walk back and change clubs...😬

Though consequences of missing short vs long always enters into my club selection. I want my (distance) miss to leave me in better shape than not. So less club to avoid downhill putts, more or less club to miss traps, water, false fronts or other green side slopes, etc.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
2 hours ago, TBS said:

Shotscope had a report that the majority of golfers will always miss the green short. I have always factored that into my club selection. I want a club that I comfortably carry the front of the green. 

I take a similar approach, but carry it a bit further....if the pin is in the middle, I take enough club to land between the pin and the back of the green.  If the pin is in front, I take enough club to hit the middle of the green.  If the pin is back, I plan on taking enough club to reach the back of the green but not go over.  Obviously, going long over the green is often trouble, but falling short is also trouble (green side bunkers, false fronts, etc)...middle of the green is always good.  🙂 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

For me, it really depends on flag location and where the trouble is located.  Typically for a back pin I am free to swing away with the shorter club, no fear of going long into trouble. If the pin is front, then error room is long so I choke down on the longer club, about a 1/2 inch to take off 8 yards and take a normal swing.  If the pin is middle, then where the safe bail out is located will dictate my club selection.