Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Between clubs: hit it hard or take some off?

... Several thing but first and foremost is you should swing with the same acceleration on every shot. If you are a hard, aggressive hitter or a smooth swinger attempting to "ease off a little" you are inviting trouble trouble. Even with chipping and pitching you alter the length of the stroke not the acceleration. That out of the way...

... I hear players on golf forums say long is trouble so they hesitate to take more club. If it is a back pin I certainly understand that, but a middle or front pin should disregard trouble long (unless you have a flier lie). How many of you actually take a normal full swing and hit it 10 yards farther than you intended? 

... Next I would recommend most higher index and some mid index ignore in-between distances and just take more club as being 5 yds long with a perfect strike isn't gonna be bad at all. Again, back pin excluded. Taking a club that comes up 5 yds short isn't a bad option either and a front pin with trouble short the exception. Being honest with yourself is an important factor so how often do you have an iron shot you hit the exact distance needed? Just take a normal swing and play for the green, not the pin.

... This question is probably aimed more at the better mid index ball striker or the low index players and again, acceleration is always the key. It is a are individual that doesn't practice "easier swings" that can decelerate their normal swing with positive results. Taking less club and swinging with more acceleration than normal is equally difficult to pull off consistently if that shot isn't constantly practiced. Learning to hit a lower trajectory with a 3/4 or even 1/2 swing is very valuable for tweener yardages. Personally I like using more club and choking down a full inch while taking a normal swing. But in the wind I will use 3/4 swings. 

... Finally course management is a factor as well. We have several holes with 4-6 foot tiers and a pin near the base means it you go long on the top tier, your putt is gonna roll 10 feet past the hole so short of the green is a better position. We have 2 holes with a graveyard just past the green. Very hard ground the slopes quickly into a fence or dense desert brush as again, just short of the green is never a bad play. So understanding g which shot is best combined with your ability to pull off the shot is a crucial part of the equation. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I'll almost always take more club, and take a little off.  As soon as I'm trying to monkeyswing an extra 5-15 yards out of any club, I'm definitely going to mishit because pace/tempo is far from what you're practicing every day.

Let's be honest, if we all knew we could get more yardage out of every club, we'd likely be swinging it like that every time.

"Play bad fast"  The gear and swing of a +3, with the scores of a +24!

Rogue ST:  Dr/3W

ADAMS:  3h/4h (these things should be in a museum...they're amazing)

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal:  5i-SW

If you choke down, 3/4 swing, and hit it flush, that should be the swing thought ongoing.

I do agree, short irons 8i and up hitting hard isn't as effective.

The real question should be am I ok long or short of pin ?

If longer is better ,(don't be short), hit 5 instead of 6.

If shorter is better, hit your stock club. 

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

On 1/24/2023 at 11:03 AM, fozcycle said:

I read somewhere that if you are using an 8 iron through wedge just lean on it. If you are using 7 iron or less take an extra club.

This.  If I take more club and swing easier it mucks with my timing.  But it depends on where the trouble is.  At my course here in SC, you don't want to be above the hole most of the time.

Edited by 6 Million Dollar Man

:cobra-small:  LTDx Drive

:cobra-small:  LTDx 3, 5 & 7 Fairway Metals

:mizuno-small: Mizuno Hot Metal JPC 921 Irons

:PXG:0311 Wedges--56° & 60°

:PXG: Blade Putter

:maxfli: Tour Golf Ball

For me it depends on the situation but 75% of the time I am going to take a little bit off. If it's a longer shot needing a 6-iron or higher I am probably going to swing hard and try to muscle one. If I am under 150 yards then I am far more likely to take a little off and try a 3/4 swing. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

If I'm within 165 I would normally play a longer club and do a "half shot". But slight wind, trouble behind the green, and green slope will also have a factor in what club I choose.

If I'm further then 165-ish yards I would definitely choose a shorter club (as long as there is no front bunker). Usually the only thing in front of a green is fairway. Also, sometimes the ball can have a good bounce onto the dance floor.

PXGLogo.jpg.0c92800daa172651d766b6819f37e9f9.jpg: 0311 Gen5 - Driver

:adams-small:: Tight Lies - 3W

I need an 18°-19° club.

url(1).jpg.d0326cc5029d710568433f5df6fe1efc.jpg: TS4 - 4-PW

url(1).jpg.d0326cc5029d710568433f5df6fe1efc.jpg: TSW - 50°, 54°,58°

:odyssey-small:: Toulon Design Austin - Putter

I only carry 5irons max, I prefer to go down the shaft 2inches and swing as smooth as I can. Wedges I can go after but struggle with the rest, but it depends if I have to carry water or bunkers and what's behind the green..

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Thanks for all the great responses! I went through the posts and did a very unscientific analysis. Here is what I have found:

The vast majority of us say we will take something off the longer club (25 responses compared to only 2 who said definitely hit the short club harder. For most others, it depends). 

Factors that play into decision (most to least mentioned):

Trouble location (16 responses)

Shot length/club selection (8)

Pin location (7)

Wind (6)

Course conditions/Layout/lie (3 each)

It depends on the pin.  A back pin, I would play the shorter club and cover the front of the green and take going long out of the picture.  A front pin, I would take the longer club and choke down an inch taking short off the table and play to the middle.  Middle pin, I would make sure I cover the front with ease with the shorter club or won't risk going off the back with the longer club, if both apply I play the shorted club because it is easier to hit flush.  In all cases I play a normal swing and take the longer putt over a higher risk of mishitting.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

On 1/24/2023 at 9:28 AM, G56744 said:

All other things being equal, if you are between clubs, are you more likely to try the “hard” shorter club or take something off the longer club?

Tend to do the latter more than the former.  I tend to block shots when I swing “hard” and end up not so good.  Learning that longer clubs choked down offers better dialing - but only if I drill on those shots.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

For the sake of this answer, let's make the assumption one is between a 9i & PW (although it applies throughout).

You can grip down (1/2" or so) on the 9i or longer club. The way most club sets are built in 1/2" length increments, you are now effectively swinging a stronger lofted (by 3-4°) PW or shorter club. The ball will spin a bit less and fly a little lower. This should easily cover the situation, PROVIDED you still swing the club the same way, with the same intention as the PW. It's when trying to swing a little smoother, or slower, or "take something off it", because you have "more" club that the problem arises. Typically that result is lost ball speed as the quality of the strike is diminished and you come up short with a mishit. Sure it's possible to nuke one and fly the green target, but not that likely.

Another option which sometimes works is take the shorter club option, move ball back in your stance a couple ball widths and deloft the club with your normal intentioned swing. However this is probably a bit more risky and for better players, as the miss will tend to be a combination of hitting it fat and left.

Strange is just a different point of view

I used to be a hit it hard type, but I have worked on becoming more comfortable with taking off a longer club. 

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see how many prefer to club up vs club down. 

For those of you who play in colder conditions or winterish conditions, how do you make this approach in this type of season when you are already clubbing up due to the weather being colder and ball not flying as far?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

For those of you who play in colder conditions or winterish conditions, how do you make this approach in this type of season when you are already clubbing up due to the weather being colder and ball not flying as far?

club up more if you have to. If you play enough during that time of year you know how much distance is affected by the cold and wind and adjust accordingly. Sub 45°F is about 2 club difference from normal playing conditions for me.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Something I learned on GG’s website when I was a member.

Find the swing with a lw that gets you 60 yards. Use that same swing with and the distances goes up about 15 yards from there. So if you need to take distance off a longer club you can use this method

7i becomes 135 yard club using a 60 yard lw swing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don't even know how to hit it hard. I never swing at more than 85% of my strength with any club and prefer to swing at 70% at all times. Hitting it hard is a foreign concept. I wouldn't know what to do. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

Great conversation starter.  

I learned how to hit two distances with each club from 7 iron to gap wedge.  My thought is that the less I have to swing the fewer dynamics in the swing.  May not work for everyone but I have become comfortable with it. 

Cobra AMP 8.5* driver (sometimes swap for Cobra Speedzone driver)

Cobra Speedzone 3 WD, 19* hybrid

Driving iron 18*

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4 - PW

Cleveland 588 gap wedge 52*

Scotty Cameron futura putter (sometimes Ping Zing anniversary edition, or TP mills blade)

I just watched a recent YouTube video by Coach Lockey (Mark Crossfield's partner in crime).  He demonstrated using the width of stance to control distance on wedge shots.   But, the ball doesn't know what club you are hitting and the concept works just as well for short irons as it does for wedges.  I have used the clock-face concept for a few years, but I was not always confident hitting the right position in my backswing.   With adjusting the stance width, I can make the same controlled (3/4)  swing and vary the yardage standard, plus or minus.   My gaps are just about 10 yards-- so plus 5 or minus 5 yards just by standing more narrow or wider.   I took me literally 2 times trying this  to get it down, and I hit about 75 or 80% of my greens on my SkyTrak app (random 60 to 125 yards varying each shot).    Its my go-to now for controlling distance-- and hitting in between yardages.   I get to try it on the course for the first time today -- first round of the season in Ohio, USA.  

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

@saz0418 is the only person  I believe to mention the BALL type ......which to me is VERY important in this decision...... as we know , each ball react differently with each shot type .....one hop and stop , fly higher and still run out some etc etc..... so me , I play the prov1 series just switched into the newest ball which spins less than previous generation and actually goes further..... 

So all things considered,  adding ball type is also a huge factor.  

On 1/24/2023 at 11:53 AM, YourKillingMeSmalls said:

When you say "take some off" does that mean you swing easier or choke down on the longer club? I find when I try to swing easy it doesn't generally go well, I do better taking the longer club and gripping down a bit.

This ⬆️. It never worked out for me, trying to take some off or get after something else. Played with a guy, that used to play Nationwide Tour. He asked what I was doing on a par 3, in between clubs. Told him was prob going to step on a 9i, instead of babying a 8i in there. Both weren’t going to be good results. Usually when I got after a club, it was a pull & if it was trying to baby one, I would come out of it & block it. He said take your 8i out, choke down an inch/inch & half, swing normal. Ever since, this is what I’ve stuck with. This little advice has helped me tremendously. To the point, that I’ve only played 2 wedges for the past 15 years. Used to play 54/60. Now I’m 53/59. But learning that gripping option,  was a total game changer for me. 

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

Choke down and maintain the same swing speed

tmlogo.JPG.0367b02a28c6a9fcb72d4b6aba7d1c5c.JPG

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2

Fairway- Taylormade Stealth Plus

Hybrid - Taylormade SIM2

Irons - Taylormade Phantom Black

Wedges - Taylormade MG2

Putter - Taylormade Spider GT Notchback

Balls - Taylormade PIX

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

in colder conditions, for me, it is just a mathematical calculation and of course not 100% accurate, example, anything under 10 degrees Celsius I add 10% to my yardage, if I am 100 yds to the pin, no wind, no rain, even lie, (which pretty much never happens) I will hit my 110 shot which is an in between clubs for me. If I am 180 to the pin with conditions as previously noted, add 10% or 18 yards equals 198, that is my 200 yd club which I have a number for etc. etc. Does that make sense?

committed to performance excellence

1 minute ago, Jim Shaw said:

in colder conditions, for me, it is just a mathematical calculation and of course not 100% accurate, example, anything under 10 degrees Celsius I add 10% to my yardage, if I am 100 yds to the pin, no wind, no rain, even lie, (which pretty much never happens) I will hit my 110 shot which is an in between clubs for me. If I am 180 to the pin with conditions as previously noted, add 10% or 18 yards equals 198, that is my 200 yd club which I have a number for etc. etc. Does that make sense?

Where I play everything is in meters so I'm already doing to much math haha

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Lots of wind where I play so I club up on those shots anyway when it is into me.  but in doing so over the past few years, I have developed a feel for taking something off and it has helped the general game.  I used to just hit it hard all the time.  Now I can finesse it a little more. 

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1