TESTERS WANTED! ×

Would you pay $2,500 for a customized putter with ground breaking technology?

Javs

On 1/25/2023 at 5:10 PM, IONEPUTT said:

can buy a can of spray paint in any color I want for about $3.00 so why would I or anyone else pay $2500 for a paint job?  Not sure how Paint that has been around for thousands of years can be called ground breaking technology?  This is just one more reason I think L.A. Golf has their heads up their butts. 

Do you work for Scotty Cameron! Because apparently removing paint is groundbreaking! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There will probably be a group in here that would say they wouldn’t spend that on a putter, but then again most if not all off them buy all their clubs used. Nothing wrong with that. there are some that have their limits and others have none or have higher ones.

I think you have it backwards, the ones who spend $2500 for a putter typically don't have a golf game so try and impress others and buy their way to a good game, it never succeeds, that's why they keep buying new ones to add to their collection. You also seem to confuse 'high end' with 'high cost', you're not buying a Lamborghini, you're just buying a Camry painted to look like one.

9 minutes ago, AzRoger said:

I think you have it backwards, the ones who spend $2500 for a putter typically don't have a golf game so try and impress others and buy their way to a good game, it never succeeds, that's why they keep buying new ones to add to their collection. You also seem to confuse 'high end' with 'high cost', you're not buying a Lamborghini, you're just buying a Camry painted to look like one.

I don’t think I could agree with this assessment. There are many good players that will pay for top end equipment. It’s not to impress, it’s to get the best out of their game. Now I will acknowledge their is the crowd that buys the “newest and latest gimmick” but the wasn’t the basis of this post. 

Play like a champion today!

6 minutes ago, Javs said:

I don’t think I could agree with this assessment. There are many good players that will pay for top end equipment. It’s not to impress, it’s to get the best out of their game. Now I will acknowledge their is the crowd that buys the “newest and latest gimmick” but the wasn’t the basis of this post. 

There's a big difference between buying top equipment and spending money on a show piece.

42 minutes ago, AzRoger said:

I don’t know who you golf with or hangout with but most of the guys I know that have these putters are all low digit handicaps and they have a lot of rare one off Scotty’s. 

so keep the anecdotes and misjudgments for someone else

23 minutes ago, AzRoger said:

There's a big difference between buying top equipment and spending money on a show piece.

They all game their high end putters. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

18 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t know who you golf with or hangout with but most of the guys I know that have these putters are all low digit handicaps and they have a lot of rare one off Scotty’s. 

so keep the anecdotes and misjudgments for someone else

They all game their high end putters. 

I agree and to expand on the topic. I am a single digit handicap. My weakness is putting ( example I hit 15 greens today and only shot 1 under). I just purchased one of these putters Tommy specs and hope to report on ground breaking putting!

Play like a champion today!

Some of the comments really show how biased their misconceptions are.  The question was, would you buy it? Not your judgement on what type of person would buy it.  Who cares if someone spends 2500 on a putter? Someone could say the same about golfers spending 500 on 1 club.

Stealth Driver w fujikura fuel shaft 9.0 degree stiff. P790 irons w kbs shafts. 3 wood Titleist 917d diamana blue shaft in Stiff. Hybrid is a titleist also. Putter is no name brand. Used guerin rife putter but my wife stole it.

16 minutes ago, drepark78 said:

Some of the comments really show how biased their misconceptions are.  The question was, would you buy it? Not your judgement on what type of person would buy it.  Who cares if someone spends 2500 on a putter? Someone could say the same about golfers spending 500 on 1 club.

Have you seen their commercials?  Who do you think their target audience is?

Makes PXG bearable by comparison

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

I must be the exact opposite of the target audience then... 

Honestly, I have always had trouble taking LA Golf seriously... but it may be my age:

image.png

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

If a $2500 putter allowed me to make a couple extra putts a round I would be willing to spend the money.  Not a bad investment if you putt better for the next 10-20 years.  Overall you will spend less over time than continuously changing putters.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

On 1/24/2023 at 5:21 PM, Javs said:

https://lagolf.co/products/the-la-golf-putter-experience

LA Golf has a new putter claiming to be ground breaking. However, the cost is also  just as ground breaking. Not sure I would go there, would you?

Absolutely not

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

As this thread has gone on, it would have been interesting to know how much each respondent is willing to spend on a putter.   Lots of people will state that it is such a slow moving club that anything will work as long as it looks good; essentially there is little technology that would influence how they putt.   A great example of technology that many people dismiss would be upgraded putter shafts or face roll milling/inserts.   If we flip this to a driver, it seems players are a bit more willing to spend upwards of $1000 for a driver with an upgraded aftermarket shaft.  If we shift our view to the Japanese makers like Honma, Miura, etc the cost of clubs is significantly higher than most us based OEMs; even Titleist is selling irons that are $400 each, and people buy them.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

As this thread has gone on, it would have been interesting to know how much each respondent is willing to spend on a putter.   Lots of people will state that it is such a slow moving club that anything will work as long as it looks good; essentially there is little technology that would influence how they putt.   A great example of technology that many people dismiss would be upgraded putter shafts or face roll milling/inserts.   If we flip this to a driver, it seems players are a bit more willing to spend upwards of $1000 for a driver with an upgraded aftermarket shaft.  If we shift our view to the Japanese makers like Honma, Miura, etc the cost of clubs is significantly higher than most us based OEMs; even Titleist is selling irons that are $400 each, and people buy them.  

I think my limit for paying for a putter would be $450. 

It is about what I would end up paying for a new driver (after selling or trading in old one). I putt very well with my current putter and think I would be somewhat hard pressed to find a putter that would be truly that much more ground breaking. I know I didn't have the greatest feelings on the face for the OG stroke lab 7, but it has really grown on me and yeah it rolls great, along with has enough tech in it to do the job and not just seem like a hunk of metal. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

39 minutes ago, cnosil said:

A great example of technology that many people dismiss would be upgraded putter shafts or face roll milling/inserts.

I have the la golf putter shaft that rocky was using in a miura putter. While it has changed the sound I haven’t noticed a difference in performance over a non graphite shaft. 

Face milling and inserts imo are a big thing to consider. I don’t prefer inserts and like a milled face especially a mid-deep mill. When it comes to inserts the Callaway inserts never worked for me. I didn’t like the feel of them and I struggled with speed control. The Scotty inserts are slightly better but also from a feel perspective not a fan. Of all the inserts the TM was the only I liked and would game.

Material used for the head is also a big thing Imo. While carbon is harder to maintain it’s one of my favorite materials for a putter. 

I’m not sure I have a limit on what I would pay for a putter especially since I want a scotty full gss putter that’s going to range from $8-12k

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have 6 putters in my garage right now, and these are 3-to-500-dollar clubs, so I wonder how many people are like me in this aspect. So, you gawk at a 2,500 but how many putters do you have laying around lol. 

I think I found my forever putter, in the L.A.B Mez Max with LA Golf (white) shaft. Best putter I have ever used. I don't see myself switching any time soon. 

Srixon ZX7 Mk II Irons 5-9

Titleist U505 2 Iron 

PING G430 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland 3 Wood

2024 Calloway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond Driver with Oban shaft

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Putter

Taylormade 2024 TP5x 

11 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Those ads alone would send me and my $2500 flying to the exits.

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:58 AM, Golfspy_Lukes said:

I obviously paid no attention to these commercials cause I've seen them both and had no idea they were about this putter!🤣

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

So that second commercial is awesome, truly! Meant for those who have more money than strokes hit obviously but it's funny to see two overpriced conpanies throwing jabs

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

On 1/27/2023 at 8:04 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

I think my limit for paying for a putter would be $450. 

It is about what I would end up paying for a new driver (after selling or trading in old one). I putt very well with my current putter and think I would be somewhat hard pressed to find a putter that would be truly that much more ground breaking. I know I didn't have the greatest feelings on the face for the OG stroke lab 7, but it has really grown on me and yeah it rolls great, along with has enough tech in it to do the job and not just seem like a hunk of metal. 

White hot or micro hinge? OG #7 is a nice putter and it seems like aftermarket inserts are thing.

23 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I have the la golf putter shaft that rocky was using in a miura putter. While it has changed the sound I haven’t noticed a difference in performance over a non graphite shaft. 

Face milling and inserts imo are a big thing to consider. I don’t prefer inserts and like a milled face especially a mid-deep mill. When it comes to inserts the Callaway inserts never worked for me. I didn’t like the feel of them and I struggled with speed control. The Scotty inserts are slightly better but also from a feel perspective not a fan. Of all the inserts the TM was the only I liked and would game.

Material used for the head is also a big thing Imo. While carbon is harder to maintain it’s one of my favorite materials for a putter. 

I’m not sure I have a limit on what I would pay for a putter especially since I want a scotty full gss putter that’s going to range from $8-12k

Is LA Golf the main carbon putter? Or do the spider and 2ball/everything every done a carbon issue?

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

On 1/24/2023 at 3:21 PM, Javs said:

https://lagolf.co/products/the-la-golf-putter-experience

LA Golf has a new putter claiming to be ground breaking. However, the cost is also  just as ground breaking. Not sure I would go there, would you?

NO

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

White hot or micro hinge? OG #7 is a nice putter and it seems like aftermarket inserts are thing.

Is LA Golf the main carbon putter? Or do the spider and 2ball/everything every done a carbon issue?

Micro hinge. 

Although the white hot face has had good things I don't like how it can get grimey and such as I have seen on many. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, TylorJudd said:

Micro hinge was better than white hit but neither of them was I a fan of.

I haven’t looked into the la golf to see the material they are using. The carbon putters I know of are scotty, Ping has them in the new pld putters. I don’t remember if lamb and others are using it.

I have the Ping pld carbon with deep mill face and love it

2 hours ago, TylorJudd said:

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I haven’t looked into the la golf to see the material they are using. The carbon putters I know of are scotty, Ping has them in the new pld putters. I don’t remember if lamb and others are using it.

I have the Ping pld carbon with deep mill face and love it

I could be wrong but I think LA Golf may be the only carbon fiber putter made.   At least they are advertising that it is the first 100% carbon head.   Obviously lightweight since the weights are 70 or 90g each.

What putters by Cameron or Ping are primarily Carbon?  I know Cameron has done inserts.   

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I could be wrong but I think LA Golf may be the only carbon fiber putter made.   At least they are advertising that it is the first 100% carbon head.   Obviously lightweight since the weights are 70 or 90g each.

What putters by Cameron or Ping are primarily Carbon?  I know Cameron has done inserts.   

Not carbon fiber but they have some circle ts that are carbon steel. The pld customer putters from Ping has an option for carbon steel

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not carbon fiber but they have some circle ts that are carbon steel. The pld customer putters from Ping has an option for carbon steel

Carbon steel is fairly common in putters and has been used across many brands.   So then yes,  LA Golf is the first Carbon Fiber putter.