TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tell Us Your Best Golf Story

GolfSpy SAM

• 3 weeks later...

So it was early April of maybe 2000 or 2001...we're on a buddy golf trip with 12 guys to the Asheville, North Carolina area. We are getting ready to play our morning round at Reems Creek in nearby Weaverville. The starter is giving us pointers about the course and what to expect. As he finishes up he says "Oh, and be careful of the crows, we grow them really big down here. They might even take something off your cart."

We all kind of shrug and laugh at the starter's exaggeration...sure, whatever.

So, our group get's to the 1st hole and as we're standing on the tee box waiting to hit - a crow lands on my cart, gets into the front dashboard area where you put your keys and wallet, and removes a full unopened King Size Snicker bar and flies off with it. Holy Cow!

We were all stunned and laughing like crazy at what we just saw. Did that really happen? Fast-forward to the #10 tee box. As we pull up there are a bunch of bushes to the right of the tee box. From the bushes we could hear a ton of very loud bird noises that just went on and on. We determined that this is obviously where the Snicker party was taking place!

Fast forward to that night at the hotel, I called home to check in, and I was telling the story to my 12 year old son Tim                ( @pozzit ) . I was sure he would be amazed, but to my surprise he says "Dad, it's Lent, I thought you gave up chocolate for Lent?"   Gulp! Silence. Uh...Uh...  He then says "God sent that crow!"  😄😆 Yes, I guess he did! 😁

Two Quick Short stories:

#1 - Mid 1980's, I'm in my mid 20's. I'm not yet a very avid golfer or very good. I'm playing with my Dad and my Uncle in my Dad's work golf outing. We get to a par 3 hole. I address the ball. Just before I hit I hear my Dad call out "What are you hitting?" Without looking up I say "7-iron". He responds "Not Enough club!" I still haven't looked up, now I'm angry, and I decide to hit anyway. My shot stops 2 feet-3 inches away from the hole, which ends up winning me the closest to the pin prize for that hole. Of course this made me feel like I finally showed up the old man! I was a lot less full of pride when I sent the first putt over the edge 3 feet long, and left the next putt sitting on the lip. Yep - I won closest to the hole and still 3-putted for a bogey. Ouch! 🤨

#2 - In 1992 we have a small very informal work golf league at the "old" 9 hole University of Notre Dame Burke Golf Course. We're on the putting green warming up before our round. (The putting green is close to the #9 green.) As we're putting we look up and Lou Holtz, then the Notre Dame Head Football Coach, walks off the #9 green by himself, stops right next to us and says "If you get the ball on the green and can't get it in the hole it's like getting it inside the 10 yard line and not being able to score." Then he just shrugs and walks away. 😁 A cool memory from Notre Dame's glory days!

36 minutes ago, pozzim said:

My shot stops 2 feet-3 inches away from the hole, which ends up winning me the closest to the pin prize for that hole. Of course this made me feel like I finally showed up the old man! I was a lot less full of pride when I sent the first putt over the edge 3 feet long, and left the next putt sitting on the lip. Yep - I won closest to the hole and still 3-putted for a bogey. Ouch! 🤨

In our neck of the woods if you get KP, the other guys give you quarter.  If you don't make par, you have to give the quarters back and give two quarters to each of the other players!!  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's not my favorite golf memory, but the very first time i WAS beating my dad.  It was 1997, i was up 2 strokes heading into 18.  I hit a wayward drive that went under a pine tree.  I thought i could get a club on it.  I went in w/ a PW to just punch it out, instead my shaft hit a thick branch (bent the shaft)  the ball moved about 3 feet.  I then topped my next shot and when I finally got onto the green, we were even.  He buried his putt, i missed mine.  He didn't play me again for 15 years, because he didn't want to lose to me.  I have the ball from my first official time beating him on my desk at work.  

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

On 4/21/2023 at 6:34 PM, GolfSpy SAM said:

I just realized I never told my father's other "greatest hit" - indulge me if you will. I promise no one defecates in this one. (Happy, @Golfspy_TCB?)

My dad's playing in his regular threesome of very average players, and they're joined by a visiting cousin of one of the other guys. Difference is, this guy can play. 

11 holes in, and it's not a fair fight: this guy is CRUSHING my dad and his friends. They get to the 12th tee, and this guy's starting to (as is his well-earned right, knowing my dad and his propensity to talk a little trash) strut a little bit. He tees it up, and lets it rip. A PERFEFT drive, down the middle (again).  

My dad walks up, shakes his hand, says "That might be the best drive I've ever seen. I'm so sorry."

Cousin: "Sorry? Why? Worried you won't get there in two?"

My Dad: "Nope. Sorry, because the hole is THIS way." He promptly hits one in the opposite (and correct) direction. They didn't think to tell him (or chose NOT to tell him, more likely), that the 12th had a shared tee box. 

My dad and his buddies still tell this story. Even though the guy was still able to beat them by 6 strokes minimum on the day 😜

Incredible!

Driver: ping.png.e3ed5628ca52a8b2c125dee1b870da4f.png g410 (Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65g) | 3 Wood: 70-707561_cobra-logo-png-transparent-cobra-golf-logo-vector.png-removebg-preview.png.b72d599215d4665a747b0adcf37e74ae.png LTDx (Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10) | Utility Iron: srixon-removebg-preview.png.12b8a132cea8523f77746a94937ae416.pngZX Utility (23* UST Mamiya Recoil 95g) | pxg.png.1f27c0c70c160b03f2f988ce62043156.png XCOR2 0211 6-GW (True Temper Elevate 95) | Wedges (52, 56, 60): mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png T22 Blue Ion (True Temper Dynamic Gold 132) | Putter: Myproject-12.png.a10a6f62037a1d622840ac8f721d759f.png Versa Double Wide Blade (Stroke Lab shaft) | Ball: mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png RB Tour X

Baseball player turned golf addict. 

1990 I was 30 years old. I was playing scratch golf at the time. My father was my coach on the Golf Course. Even though he was a golf teacher. I always knew more about golf than he did. Or so I thought. I I shot a 68 from the Tips. I was elated. This is what I was aiming for. The course record. It held for a year. A golf Pro shot a 67 a year later. That day was special. Not so much for the score. When we were in the Club House. My father bought a round for everyone. He raised his beer. " Today my son Edward shot a 68. Son I am so Proud of You." 

Edited by Ed Mart

• 2 weeks later...

This is my dad's best story. He was playing Eaglewood Golf Course in Bountiful, Utah in the summer. It is up on the mountain and it was hot that day. He hit an approach on #9 and left it just short of the green on the fringe. As he was walking up to his ball, he noticed something brown right next to his ball. As he got closer, he sees a huge rattlesnake coiled up and shaking it's rattle at him. So he ran to the cart and grabbed his phone. Called up to the clubhouse and said hey, I am on number 9 green if you look out the window. There is a huge rattlesnake by my ball on the fringe of the green. I am just going to leave the ball and head to number 10, give myself an up and down par on this one! They said give us 2 minutes, we will send someone down. So about 2 minutes later, a guy that my dad described as a dead ringer for groundskeeper Carl Splackler drives down from the clubhouse. He has knee high rain boots, a 9 iron, and a five gallon paint bucket. Tells my dad that they snakes come down when it gets really hot in the summer, not to worry. My dad thinks that he is going to scoop up the snake in the bucket but he sets the bucket down about 5 feet from the snake. He calmly walks closer and then starts hacking the snake to pieces with the 9 iron. There are chunks of snake everywhere and the ground is mangled. He keep going until he cuts off the head. He then scoops a bunch of the snake into the bucket and tells my dad to finish out the hole and he will repair the grass. My dad was laughing so hard from the shock of it all that he chunked his chip and 2 putted for a bogey. He said it was the most unexpected thing he ever saw on a golf course loves to tell that story. 

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9Deg, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

TaylorMade SIM2 3 Wood 15 Deg

TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue - 3 19 Deg

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW

Vokey SM9 Wedges 48, 52, and 58 Deg

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5 ( Still have my Fastback No. 1, it is in time out for a bit!)

All carried around in a customized Ping Hoofer Carry bag!

Check out my YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/@maddenbarnes

My swing in slo-mo:

Two guys from our club visit another course. When they arrive they go to the por shop to pay their green fee, The pro asks one of the guys if he has a collared shirt, as he is wearing a crew neck. The guy replies that he does not have a collared shirt and that his short is a Nike golf shirt. The pro tells the guy that the clubs dress code, which is online, clearly states that male golfers are to wear a collared shirt. The guy then protests and says " Tiger Woods wears these shirts". The pro replies "Not at this course he doesn't, would you like to buy a collared shirt sir"

Tom

Driver; TaylorMade Sim2 Kuro Kage regular shaft 9 degree head set at 11 degrees

Woods; TaylorMade Sim2 3 & 5 wood Ventus Blue shaft A flex

Hybrid; TaylorMade SIM2 5 Hybrid Ventus Blue shaft A flex

Irons; TaylorMade P790 5-PW UST Mamiya graphite shafts Regular flex

Wedges; Cleveland RTX4 50-54-58

Putter; TaylorMade Spider X

My younger days in my twenties I joined a men’s club in a local village in the UK, I knew several players. 
First men’s club I have ever joined, I wasn’t the worse golfer but wasn’t the best, 15 handicap at the time. 
Playing in my fourth tournament of the year, par three, wind in face someone in the group said they were going to take an extra club due to the wind. 
He was a good golfer, single digit knew his stuff so I did the same, picture the green, about 155 yards behind the green small fence surrounded by forrest of tree’s. 
Up on the tee, hit my ball wind died to nothing, flew the green hit a tree back on green into the hole. First hole in one, jumped around like a drunken idiot although I don’t drink when playing tournament golf. 
The hole in one isn’t the story, now new to men’s club events someone said, yes,  hole in one drinks, I thought wow I got a hole in one and now three of my playing partners had to purchase me a drink for the achievement and to congratulate me. 
Well that theory was cleared up quickly, one player said you have to purchase the drinks, I was like that’s weird asked again and was told no as you got the hole in one you purchase the drinks for your good fortune. I was like ok makes some sort of sense, not to bad, four drinks at the end of the round, wrong again.
End of round found out it was one drink for everyone that played in the tournament, 80 plus players not all of them took the drink due to having to leave, not all drank cheap beer, some all of a sudden only drank top shelf liquor. 
Bar bill hit me hard, but lesson learnt. 
When I moved to the states every men’s club I have joined I made sure they had a hole in one kitty due to bigger number of players in tournaments , no kitty, no joiny !!!!!!! 

Titleist TRS Driver, Titleist TSR 3 Wood, Titleist TRS 2 Hybrid, Titleist T300 irons, Vokey SM9 wedges 56 - 60, Scotty Cameron putter. 

2 hours ago, MJ McNamara said:

My younger days in my twenties I joined a men’s club in a local village in the UK, I knew several players. 
First men’s club I have ever joined, I wasn’t the worse golfer but wasn’t the best, 15 handicap at the time. 
Playing in my fourth tournament of the year, par three, wind in face someone in the group said they were going to take an extra club due to the wind. 
He was a good golfer, single digit knew his stuff so I did the same, picture the green, about 155 yards behind the green small fence surrounded by forrest of tree’s. 
Up on the tee, hit my ball wind died to nothing, flew the green hit a tree back on green into the hole. First hole in one, jumped around like a drunken idiot although I don’t drink when playing tournament golf. 
The hole in one isn’t the story, now new to men’s club events someone said, yes,  hole in one drinks, I thought wow I got a hole in one and now three of my playing partners had to purchase me a drink for the achievement and to congratulate me. 
Well that theory was cleared up quickly, one player said you have to purchase the drinks, I was like that’s weird asked again and was told no as you got the hole in one you purchase the drinks for your good fortune. I was like ok makes some sort of sense, not to bad, four drinks at the end of the round, wrong again.
End of round found out it was one drink for everyone that played in the tournament, 80 plus players not all of them took the drink due to having to leave, not all drank cheap beer, some all of a sudden only drank top shelf liquor. 
Bar bill hit me hard, but lesson learnt. 
When I moved to the states every men’s club I have joined I made sure they had a hole in one kitty due to bigger number of players in tournaments , no kitty, no joiny !!!!!!! 

Our club has hole in one Insurance. Costs us $10 a year each!  I have yet to need it. 

B

• 2 weeks later...

Drove 2 par 4s in one round. Fairways were hard, got amazing rollout, and put them both in for birdie. I had never broke 90 before, and I ended up shooting a 84. That was almost a year ago. I think about that round often. 

- Haller

• 2 weeks later...

I live on the East Coast and my brother on the West coast, throw in families and kids and getting together to play golf is damn near impossible. However he has invited me to play at his clubs member guest the last 2 years. It is a 3 day event with the 1st and 3rd day better ball and the 2nd mixed scotch alternative shot format. But the highlight is the horse race event at the end of the first day. We played very well and made it in despite our flight posting 3 of the top 5 scores of the day. We get through the first hole with easy. 2nd hole is from an elevated tee box down to the green, maybe 105 yards. This is where things get fun. I pull out my wedge and hit a beautiful shot but it kept going and going, I get a stroke of luck when it bangs off the front of a car parked on the side of the green. It’s rolls across the green and settles in about 5 feet off the green and maybe 15 yards from the pin. My brother gets up there and clangs the ball off the pin and settles 12 inches away. It’s pretty much dumb luck for us at this point as everyone else made the green on the first shot and had birdie putts. We get through on a chip off on to make it to the last group. I get up to the last tee and pull my drive left, my brother then hits his shot into a green side bunker. I am admittedly not great out of the sand and don’t get it out of the trap. Now with a terrible lie from my shot my brother is only able to get it out of the trap and advance it 5-10 feet. With the other 2 teams in much better shape we need a miracle. Well that miracle ends up being me chipping it in which included a tiger/ Augusta dramatic pause before dropping. The whole place erupts and my brother nearly tackles me into the bunker. We end up taking 2nd in a chip off but it’s a moment we won’t ever forget.

11 hours ago, Bobby Mieczkowski said:

I live on the East Coast and my brother on the West coast, throw in families and kids and getting together to play golf is damn near impossible. However he has invited me to play at his clubs member guest the last 2 years. It is a 3 day event with the 1st and 3rd day better ball and the 2nd mixed scotch alternative shot format. But the highlight is the horse race event at the end of the first day. We played very well and made it in despite our flight posting 3 of the top 5 scores of the day. We get through the first hole with easy. 2nd hole is from an elevated tee box down to the green, maybe 105 yards. This is where things get fun. I pull out my wedge and hit a beautiful shot but it kept going and going, I get a stroke of luck when it bangs off the front of a car parked on the side of the green. It’s rolls across the green and settles in about 5 feet off the green and maybe 15 yards from the pin. My brother gets up there and clangs the ball off the pin and settles 12 inches away. It’s pretty much dumb luck for us at this point as everyone else made the green on the first shot and had birdie putts. We get through on a chip off on to make it to the last group. I get up to the last tee and pull my drive left, my brother then hits his shot into a green side bunker. I am admittedly not great out of the sand and don’t get it out of the trap. Now with a terrible lie from my shot my brother is only able to get it out of the trap and advance it 5-10 feet. With the other 2 teams in much better shape we need a miracle. Well that miracle ends up being me chipping it in which included a tiger/ Augusta dramatic pause before dropping. The whole place erupts and my brother nearly tackles me into the bunker. We end up taking 2nd in a chip off but it’s a moment we won’t ever forget.

Golf is such a ridiculous roller coaster. Thank goodness for memories like this!

• 2 weeks later...

When I was 15 living in Winnetka, Ill. , I lived just off the 1st green of the par 3 course and would usually walk down this fairway to the first tee of the "big 18".  We had a very unusual warm day during Christmas week,  so I walked to the first tee of the "big course" in my usual fashion in order to take advantage of the weather, but bypassing the COURSE CLOSED sign at the parking lot entrance.  About two holes into my round, our very crusty and unpleasant old ranger, Cal, came roaring out on his cart and threw me off the course stating that he would report me to the pro shop and park district and (unfairly) remove my playing privileges for the entire coming  year for this minor transgression.  One week later old Cal had a massive stroke and died.  He never had a chance to report me.  That following summer the club established a Junior Championship in his honor, the "Cal Memorial".  For the next two years I was the medalist and winner.  Poetic justice reigns supreme!

Stealing this from my coworker, who is a very good golfer and played college golf. 

In the mid 90s he was working for an auto dealership in Birmingham. A minor league baseball player wanted to rent a car from them. The minor leaguer's name was Michael Jordan, not sure if you heard of him or not. So, they gave him a good deal but asked him to do some sort of event for the dealership. They wanted to throw a party, but he did not want to do that, but said "I would love to play a round of golf with a couple of the sales guys." So, the owner of the dealership is a member of Shoal Creek (1984 and 1990 PGA Championship site). My coworker, Jim, gets invited to play with them. MJ likes to gamble so he says, "let's play four ball" and plays against Jim. Jim says, "how much a hole?" MJ replies "whatever makes you sweat bud." 

They get to the 17th hole, and Jim's team is down 1. Par 5, hits a good drive but in front of the green is water. Jim gets his 3W out and then puts it back to lay up. MJ looks at him serious as a heart attack and says, "If you scared, get a dog!" Jim grabs 3W and puts it in the water. Ha. 

The next week, Jim and his wife see MJ somewhere around town and he says hey. MJ is very nice and talks to him and of course recognizes him. Jim's wife asks for a picture and MJ obliges. Then the get home and there is no film in the camera! The memories will have to do!

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

I want to celebrate the life of the late Vice Admiral Edward S. Briggs, 1926 - 2022.  A few years ago, on the range at Oaks North, in Rancho Bernardo (San Diego), I met him.  About 91 yrs old, cloth green and white plaid oval bag, circa 1950s.  Retired U.S. Navy Admiral.  After every shot, he would stare it down, look with the intensity of Nicklaus, make a face, plan an adjustment, and slowly get ready for the next.  I asked who he was, was told Admiral Briggs, he enlisted in the Navy in 1944 shortly before turning 18.  My father, also born in 1926, had done the same, served in the Pacific theater toward the end of WW2.  (If you were born in 1926, you turn 18 in 1944, and you go to war.)  So I introduced myself and said it was a rare coincidence, he and my father both getting the parental waiver to enlist just before turning 18, preferring to go into the Navy instead of being drafted into the Army.  I watched him hit balls straighter than I did, not quite as far, but for 91, he looked like 61.  Saw him there a few more times, learned he was well known for involvement with junior golf.  I was curious, after the virus, if he could possibly still be alive.  I found his Obit, he died Nov. 2022, age 96.  It turns out, he was Minnesota state high school champ at age 17 in 1944.  He enlisted Oct. 1944.  The Navy sent him to Annapolis before the war even ended.  A year later, he was the Maryland Intercollegiate champ.  He stayed in the Navy, rose to Vice Admiral, retired in the 1980s.  For all I know, my father and my oldest brother might have served with him or under his command.  I salute his life.  I don't know if he was still golfing til the end, but his example is my motivation to play and enjoy and appreciate life to the end.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

16 hours ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

I want to celebrate the life of the late Vice Admiral Edward S. Briggs, 1926 - 2022.  A few years ago, on the range at Oaks North, in Rancho Bernardo (San Diego), I met him.  About 91 yrs old, cloth green and white plaid oval bag, circa 1950s.  Retired U.S. Navy Admiral.  After every shot, he would stare it down, look with the intensity of Nicklaus, make a face, plan an adjustment, and slowly get ready for the next.  I asked who he was, was told Admiral Briggs, he enlisted in the Navy in 1944 shortly before turning 18.  My father, also born in 1926, had done the same, served in the Pacific theater toward the end of WW2.  (If you were born in 1926, you turn 18 in 1944, and you go to war.)  So I introduced myself and said it was a rare coincidence, he and my father both getting the parental waiver to enlist just before turning 18, preferring to go into the Navy instead of being drafted into the Army.  I watched him hit balls straighter than I did, not quite as far, but for 91, he looked like 61.  Saw him there a few more times, learned he was well known for involvement with junior golf.  I was curious, after the virus, if he could possibly still be alive.  I found his Obit, he died Nov. 2022, age 96.  It turns out, he was Minnesota state high school champ at age 17 in 1944.  He enlisted Oct. 1944.  The Navy sent him to Annapolis before the war even ended.  A year later, he was the Maryland Intercollegiate champ.  He stayed in the Navy, rose to Vice Admiral, retired in the 1980s.  For all I know, my father and my oldest brother might have served with him or under his command.  I salute his life.  I don't know if he was still golfing til the end, but his example is my motivation to play and enjoy and appreciate life to the end.

Amazing - thank you so much for sharing! I wonder if my dad served under him (in some capacity) - he served on a destroyer between Korea and Vietnam, so missed most of the trouble, but the timeline works out - he was born '39 and if V.A. Briggs was already rising through the ranks, it's entirely possible.  I'll have to ask him - thanks again for the story!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Playing high school golf in late 1960's greater Chicagoland was highly competitive.  My school,  New Trier West was lucky enough to get previous years Illinois State Mens Champ Lee Gurley on our team as a geographic school transfer.   Suffice it to say, Lee was a terrific player and additionally quite sarcastic, cocky, and intimidating.  In a regional finals match I was playing #2 position with Lee in #1 position against arch rival Glenbrook North.

Both Lee and his opponent had 6 footers for par on the first hole--his opponent then says:  "Good Good"??   Without missing a beat Lee responds:  "Not Bad, Not Bad", and laughing hysterically,  almost in tears, steps up quickly and drains his putt.  His opponent misses.       That pretty much set the tone for the rest of the day--we both won our matches

In the early 2000's my wife and I were visiting our daughter during her semester abroad in Brighton England.  We had planned to travel on to Paris for four "romantic" days, but widespread rioting over a government labor law related vote necessitated that we quickly change our plans and avoid France. We decided to catch a Ryan Air flight to Dublin and return home from there.  Then came the dilemma-where to stay in Dublin ?

My wife announced that she had found a charming boutique hotel  about 20 min. outside the city on the coast called The Portmarnock Hotel, and didn't I want to stay there instead of in central Dublin proper ??  Knowing full well that this was the location of the famous Portmarnock Club and also Portmarnock Hotel Links, I stated that I firmly wanted to stay in downtown Dublin for the sightseeing convenience.   After a few hours, enough time for me to call the Portmarnock Club and secure a tee time,  I informed my deeply grateful wife that after much consideration, I had a change of heart, would acquiesce to her wishes , and that staying at The  Portmarnock Hotel would be ok after all .  To this day, she still believes I changed my mind because she wanted to stay there !  I am smart enough not to spoil the illusion !

( As an aside, I should mention that the Portmarnock Hotel has a spectacular location on the coast.  In a prior life it was the Jamieson Whisky family manor.   Dining , location, and accommodations are deluxe.  The Hotel Links, which I played on a subsequent trip to Ireland,  designed by Bernhard Lander and a friend of mine, Britt Stenson of IMG sports, is almost the equal of the older more famous Portmarnock Club, and is definitely worth a round.   Picturesque Malahide and it's shops and small harbor, access point to the increasingly popular Island Course is only a 30 min. walk or 10 min. cab ride up the coast as well )

14 hours ago, Dr Tee said:

In the early 2000's my wife and I were visiting our daughter during her semester abroad in Brighton England.  We had planned to travel on to Paris for four "romantic" days, but widespread rioting over a government labor law related vote necessitated that we quickly change our plans and avoid France. We decided to catch a Ryan Air flight to Dublin and return home from there.  Then came the dilemma-where to stay in Dublin ?

My wife announced that she had found a charming boutique hotel  about 20 min. outside the city on the coast called The Portmarnock Hotel, and didn't I want to stay there instead of in central Dublin proper ??  Knowing full well that this was the location of the famous Portmarnock Club and also Portmarnock Hotel Links, I stated that I firmly wanted to stay in downtown Dublin for the sightseeing convenience.   After a few hours, enough time for me to call the Portmarnock Club and secure a tee time,  I informed my deeply grateful wife that after much consideration, I had a change of heart, would acquiesce to her wishes , and that staying at The  Portmarnock Hotel would be ok after all .  To this day, she still believes I changed my mind because she wanted to stay there !  I am smart enough not to spoil the illusion !

( As an aside, I should mention that the Portmarnock Hotel has a spectacular location on the coast.  In a prior life it was the Jamieson Whisky family manor.   Dining , location, and accommodations are deluxe.  The Hotel Links, which I played on a subsequent trip to Ireland,  designed by Bernhard Lander and a friend of mine, Britt Stenson of IMG sports, is almost the equal of the older more famous Portmarnock Club, and is definitely worth a round.   Picturesque Malahide and it's shops and small harbor, access point to the increasingly popular Island Course is only a 30 min. walk or 10 min. cab ride up the coast as well )

Ireland has some great golf.  I few years ago I had the chance to play the K Club and The Palmer North.  Loved it.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

I suppose it's this one...The boys and I take a guys golf trip every spring to Vegas. Have been doing it for almost 20 years playing almost every course there. We tend to go back and replay courses from our early days we remembered fondly. 

Our 2nd year, we played Red Rocks at Arroyo in Vegas and figured we'd give it a shot again to see if it still held up on our 2018 trip. On the driving range and this guy walks up and starts hitting next to me. Apparently OJ has a house on the course and plays about every day, his time was a couple after ours so we had to get a pic.

image.png.9ef29a62ddf41303904f389a974e17ff.png

image.png.1ea5d758cf8a30830588308493ba6b69.png                        Driver:  Tour Edge Exotics E8 driver - Fujikura Xstiff
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png       Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219015665925828&set=a.1248711621147

I had to jump into this thread because of a unique golfing experience I had a couple of years ago. While playing one of the par four holes at our local golf course, I hit a long fade into the wooded brush along the right side of the hole. My golf partner looked all over for my ball and just simply could not find it where it had entered the woods. At long last I heard her yell "I found it and you won't believe where it landed!" Low and behold, I looked into the brush and saw what she was talking about. My ball had landed directly into a Robin's nest! I guess you could day I got a hole-in-one and a 'birdie' at the same time!

golfball_in_nest_2019.jpg

Edited by Janecp

I am an avid golfer and play a minimum of three rounds a week. I have been retired for a number of years and play year-round either here in Rhode Island, or in Florida during winter vacations.

1 hour ago, Janecp said:

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219015665925828&set=a.1248711621147

I had to jump into this thread because of a unique golfing experience I had a couple of years ago. While playing one of the par four holes at our local golf course, I hit a long fade into the wooded brush along the right side of the hole. My golf partner looked all over for my ball and just simply could not find it where it had entered the woods. At long last I heard her yell "I found it and you won't believe where it landed!" Low and behold, I looked into the brush and saw what she was talking about. My ball had landed directly into a Robin's nest! I guess you could day I got a hole-in-one and a 'birdie' at the same time!

golfball_in_nest_2019.jpg

I love it!  

Question: Did you climb the tree to hit it out, or just shake the tree violently until it fell out?  (kidding, obviously 🙂

Thank you for sharing, and for joining the forum! Welcome!  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I had just joined my club, where my father in law had been a member most of his life.  Decided to take him out with me for my first round, which we did on the West course, the championship course they call it.

I absolutely hacked it up, I hadn't played golf in probably 8 yeasr at this point other than the occasional driving range trip.  I hit every single water hazard on the course, lost probably a dozen plus balls.

Finally get to 17, par four with a pond on the left.  If you are hitting the blues or further back, you have to carry the pond, the white tees (where I'm playing) are set forward of the pond with it just off to the left side.  I step up to the tee, and announce "at least I can't put it in the water from here!".

Then proceed to sky my 3w, somehow make contact on my follow through and hit the ball directly into the water behind me.  To this day the single worst round of golf I have ever played in my life, but we still came away laughing.

:callaway-logo-1:Mavrik 10.5* :projectx: HZRDS T800 Orange 60 6.0

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz Stage 2 3W

:mizuno-small:ST-Z 5W :projectx: EvenFlow 5.5

:srixon-small: ZX Utility 23*, UST Recoil F3

:titleist-small:T300 :projectx: LZ 5.5, 5-PW

:mizuno-small: T22 Copper Denim :truetemper: DG R300, 52* 56*

:vokey-small: SM9 :truetemper: DG R300, 60*

:odyssey-small: Strokelabs One

:vice: Pro Soft

I did not take up the game until after I was married.  My very strict and over bearing father-in-law was trying to teach me how to play golf one summer but his method was to interrupt my swing with “do this” and “do that” etc.  Usually just when I was starting my setup.  My score was at 113 on the 15th hole when I lost control and cursed at him. (First and last time!) I was so bad that I could not hit a golf ball more than a foot off the ground.  We never spoke until the end of the round.  I stormed off the course and stopped at a driving range.  After a couple of minutes, a very well-dressed man came over and gave me some simple advice.  For the first time ever, I started hitting balls, in the air.  It dawned on me that he was a golf pro and was giving me my first lesson but he would not take any money from me.  He just wanted me to promise that I would not give up the game.

That night I read an article in Golf Digest that Lee Trevino wrote about playing your own game and do not worry about others. Just relax and enjoy.

The next morning, I played with my father-in-law and for the first time broke 100 by shooting a 94. (Still have the score card).  At the end of the round, he said “see what happens when you do what I tell you”

I never told him about the driving range golf pro and the article.

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

On 4/20/2023 at 11:49 AM, GolfSpy SAM said:

I'm waiting for my first eagle - have had a few chances this past year, and ... dropping to my knees and freaking out sounds about right 🙂  I'll probably weep, too, just to make it VERY uncomfortable for the people I'm playing with.  I might stop and thank everyone who ever helped me along the way...standard acceptance speech stuff, really. 

I'm very excited about this happening this year. I can feel it. 

I've only ever had 2 eagles in my entire life. But what is super crazy is the fact they were in the same round!! One on the front 9 and one on the back 9. I only remember the second one though.

The Brae at Heatherhurst GC, number 16th. It's only a 449 par 5, so not super brag-worthy really. 3-wood off the tee (Taylormade Firesole with those awesome bubble shafts). 3-wood on to the green over a front bunker. And a long putt from the back of the green, dead center. Neither dad nor I could believe it. We still talk about that round.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

So was just getting into the sport, maybe been playing 4 months at the time so we all know how the round was going. But anyway, from the Northeast and was down in Florida with the family. My brother, father, uncle and I just decides to play a morning round at the Palm on Thanksgiving morning. Was a few into the refreshments and not taking the round too seriously mostly just enjoying the company. Well when deep into the cooler just pulled a club outa the bag and thinking not at my beat right now so ill pull two clubs deeper(a decision i soon regretted). Well over shot the green real deep, like 40yds past the green deep. Well went to jump outa the cart not really paying attention. Next thing ik im getting YANKED back into the already backing up at full speed cart. My father yelling “gator”. I look up and maybe 15ft from my ball was a gator, sunbathing. Safe to say i took a drop and shanked it hard cause we could not stop laughing from the “near death” experience. 

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

Pointing to Frank A., Brady E. turned to me and said, "There goes the only man in the field that could go out by himself and come back with a square number." Dumbfounded, I asked, "What's a square number?" "He knows the rules better than anybody and he's as honest as a man can be." I thought, man I want someone to say something like that, about me behind my back! That was 25 years ago, and I haven't thrown a club since. 

Happy with the bag once I valued sense over feelings.

Funniest personal story:

Watching my buddy hit it out of bounds twice on the last hole of a tourney and throw his entire bag of clubs in the pond to immediately regretting it and jumping in after them. Priceless memory. 

WITB