Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PGA Tour 2023 - AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am

Splatt

G’day Golfers,

This week we’re heading to the famous Pebble Beach and the 2nd Pro-Am of the season. This is arguably the more famous Pro-Am, and I’m sure many of you have seen numerous videos of Bill Murrey’s shenanigans during this tournament throughout the years.

For the third week in a row, this is a multi-course tournament, thankfully, this is the last multi-course event of the season. I like the variety of the multi-course format, but I find it much easier to follow exactly where everyone is, and who is playing well when it’s just one course.

The three courses for this week are:

·         Pebble Beach – Par 72, 6,972 yards

·         Spyglass Hill – Par 72, 7,041 yards

·         Monterey Peninsula Country Club (shore course) – Par 71, 6,957 yards

Tom Hoge is back to defend his 2022 title after his last-round surge past Jordan Speith.

With the Waste Management Phoenix Open next week and a big event on the DP World Tour happening this week, a lot of top players are absent from the field. It could be a promising sign for the few top-20 players in the field, but it’s also good news for the pro’s a bit further down the table looking to claim some valuable FedEx Cup Points.

Although this is a Pro-Am, unlike the American Express, this tournament still has some teeth to it. The greens will not be as fast as a regular PGA tour event, and the rough will not be as long (can’t be too cruel to the amateurs), but the high coastal winds and some of the smallest greens on tour, will mean it remains a challenge for the pro’s teeing it up.

Field Highlights

·         Matt Fitzpatrick – The highest-ranked player in the field and the 2022 US Open Champion. Matt has had a slow start to the 22-23 season playing only 3 times so far and finishing T-13, T13, and T-7. This course is pretty well suited to Fitzpatrick so he should have a good week.

·         Viktor Hovland – The 2nd highest-ranked player in the field this week. Hovland already has a win and 2 top-10’s this season. Hovland made an impression on the golfing world last season and it’s a safe bet that he’ll continue that form this season.

·         Jordan Speith – not the best start for old Speithy. He’s played 4 times this season and only managed 2 top-25, a T-52, and a missed cut. Whatever form he happens to be in, Speith is always exciting to watch, just look at his holed flop from the rough a few weeks ago at The Sentry Tournament of Champs.

·         Seamus Power – Currently ranked 28 in the world and sitting 5th in the FedEx cup ranking, Seamus is having a cracking start to the season. Ireland’s own, Seamus, already has a win under his belt this season at the Butterfield Bermuda Championship in the fall.

·         Tom Hoge – The defending champ, so you could say he has fond memories of Pebble Beach. Hoge has had only one career victory in the PGA Tour, and it came right here last year. He’s been a busy boy this season having already played 10 times. A T-3 at The Sentry Tournament of Champions is a recent highlight.

The full field list can be found here.

Disclaimer: My field highlight picks are in no way a recommendation for anyone involved in the MGS Pick ‘Em competition. Choose at your own risk. However, if one of my highlights happens to do well, then I’ll happily accept some praise 😊

If you haven’t already put your picks in for the MGS Pick ‘Em, then there’s no time like the present. You have until February 2, 2023 at 11:00 ET to finalise your picks.

Splatt

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

Definitely going to work to try and catch some of this. While Pebble isn't my favorite course there is no doubt the prestige it holds and how it can often play tough along with provide some great view. 

Should be a fun watch regardless!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'm looking forward to the Sunday coverage.  The Saturday TV coverage emphasis on watching famous amateurs play golf poorly always drives me crazy.

And I'm looking for Spieth to win this one and springboard him to a good year.  Don't know if that's a predication or a hope though...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

54 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I'm looking forward to the Sunday coverage.  The Saturday TV coverage emphasis on watching famous amateurs play golf poorly always drives me crazy.

And I'm looking for Spieth to win this one and springboard him to a good year.  Don't know if that's a predication or a hope though...

I like it though as I have him picked this week

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I just double checked my picks and man I have no idea why I picked the guys. For sure a tier A- C squad if I have ever seen one. I'll be sure to post them when the round starts tomorrow!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I just double checked my picks and man I have no idea why I picked the guys. For sure a tier A- C squad if I have ever seen one. I'll be sure to post them when the round starts tomorrow!

can you walk me through how to make my picks, I cant find the link, thanks Jim

committed to performance excellence

4 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

can you walk me through how to make my picks, I cant find the link, thanks Jim

PM sent!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Now I need to change my picks! Everyone is gonna use this beautiful overview of players you provided!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

9 hours ago, Splatt said:

G’day Golfers,

This week we’re heading to the famous Pebble Beach and the 2nd Pro-Am of the season. This is arguably the more famous Pro-Am, and I’m sure many of you have seen numerous videos of Bill Murrey’s shenanigans during this tournament throughout the years.

For the third week in a row, this is a multi-course tournament, thankfully, this is the last multi-course event of the season. I like the variety of the multi-course format, but I find it much easier to follow exactly where everyone is, and who is playing well when it’s just one course.

The three courses for this week are:

·         Pebble Beach – Par 72, 6,972 yards

·         Spyglass Hill – Par 72, 7,041 yards

·         Monterey Peninsula Country Club (shore course) – Par 71, 6,957 yards

Tom Hoge is back to defend his 2022 title after his last-round surge past Jordan Speith.

With the Waste Management Phoenix Open next week and a big event on the DP World Tour happening this week, a lot of top players are absent from the field. It could be a promising sign for the few top-20 players in the field, but it’s also good news for the pro’s a bit further down the table looking to claim some valuable FedEx Cup Points.

Although this is a Pro-Am, unlike the American Express, this tournament still has some teeth to it. The greens will not be as fast as a regular PGA tour event, and the rough will not be as long (can’t be too cruel to the amateurs), but the high coastal winds and some of the smallest greens on tour, will mean it remains a challenge for the pro’s teeing it up.

Field Highlights

·         Matt Fitzpatrick – The highest-ranked player in the field and the 2022 US Open Champion. Matt has had a slow start to the 22-23 season playing only 3 times so far and finishing T-13, T13, and T-7. This course is pretty well suited to Fitzpatrick so he should have a good week.

·         Viktor Hovland – The 2nd highest-ranked player in the field this week. Hovland already has a win and 2 top-10’s this season. Hovland made an impression on the golfing world last season and it’s a safe bet that he’ll continue that form this season.

·         Jordan Speith – not the best start for old Speithy. He’s played 4 times this season and only managed 2 top-25, a T-52, and a missed cut. Whatever form he happens to be in, Speith is always exciting to watch, just look at his holed flop from the rough a few weeks ago at The Sentry Tournament of Champs.

·         Seamus Power – Currently ranked 28 in the world and sitting 5th in the FedEx cup ranking, Seamus is having a cracking start to the season. Ireland’s own, Seamus, already has a win under his belt this season at the Butterfield Bermuda Championship in the fall.

·         Tom Hoge – The defending champ, so you could say he has fond memories of Pebble Beach. Hoge has had only one career victory in the PGA Tour, and it came right here last year. He’s been a busy boy this season having already played 10 times. A T-3 at The Sentry Tournament of Champions is a recent highlight.

The full field list can be found here.

Disclaimer: My field highlight picks are in no way a recommendation for anyone involved in the MGS Pick ‘Em competition. Choose at your own risk. However, if one of my highlights happens to do well, then I’ll happily accept some praise 😊

If you haven’t already put your picks in for the MGS Pick ‘Em, then there’s no time like the present. You have until February 2, 2023 at 11:00 ET to finalise your picks.

Splatt

for me it is sad to see that an iconic stop on the PGA tour is reduced to second string status. The Crosby Clambake, Jackie Gleason, Glen Campbell, Bob Hope, Sammy Davis Junior, Frank Sinatra, and many more tournament that had old celebrities names attached to them are gone... I understand that there are only so many stories that can be told at these events and they do go by the wayside but sad to see... time to move on I guess...

Hope everyone got their picks in!

As promised here is my stellar lineup....

image.png

Playing a few gut feelings here and not using any of the big names helps.

Also really cool, but we can see who were some of the most selected players!

image.png
image.png

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

** Remember that is just for the GolfSpy_APH Division!**

image.png

Still way too early, but I am not last! Wouldn't it be awesome if we all got even 1% of whatever our team/picks winnings.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

image.png

Still way too early, but I am not last! Wouldn't it be awesome if we all got even 1% of whatever our team/picks winnings.

Stop the tournament right now!  Those standings look absolutely perfect.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

On 2/2/2023 at 7:36 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Yeah I can't find that link either, plz send me the link. Cheers Colin

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

image.png

image.png
image.png

thanks for this, interesting, 

2 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Yeah I can't find that link either, plz send me the link. Cheers Colin

You're not in my division so I don't have one for you sorry.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

image.png

This is where the Splatt division currently is

Screenshot_20230203_062743_Chrome.jpg.4f4409dce2fc453b0d18cdfb45ed8744.jpg

Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

image.png

image.png
image.png

My picks

Screenshot_20230203_062803_Chrome.jpg.966b64d9e4466684aad15cb78717a8c2.jpg

31 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

You're not in my division so I don't have one for you sorry.

Am I in anyone's division? Yes/No 

How do I find a division?????

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

1 minute ago, Bang60 said:

Am I in anyone's division? Yes/No 

How do I find a division?????

Doesn't look like you signed up. We will have to look at it for next week and see if we can add further ppl then.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Hopefully some of the big boys start to put together big rounds. These sleeping giants are being lulled right now. I’d love to see Hovland spieth or Fitzpatrick who had great odds to win really show out going forward. In a tournament with a lot of talent but the top 20 really taking the week off these guys need to take advantage 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Posted this in the pick em thread as well, but since @Splatt is showing off his leaderboard here... this is the TCB Division Leaderboard.  

image.png

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Where is the "you know you are a member of the MGS Forum when.. " thread... haha. 

Based on my time yesterday watching the first round of the AT&T Pebble Beach... and the number of times I rolled my eyes at the less than educated comments the "talent in the booth" about the equipment the players were using because I obviously knew WAY more than they did (It isn't anything similar to a Titleist Bullseye gentlemen, it is a L.A.B. Mezz 1!!!... and here are the 25 reasons why it is different!!!), I guess I know I am a member of the MGS forum.  🤣

AND PROUD OF IT!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

35 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

... and the number of times I rolled my eyes at the less than educated comments the "talent in the booth" about the equipment the players were using because I obviously knew WAY more than they did (It isn't anything similar to a Titleist Bullseye gentlemen, it is a L.A.B. Mezz 1!!!... and here are the 25 reasons why it is different!!!)

Their job is hard as they have to fill airtime between shots.  However, the more I learn about equipments and golf and strategy It  amazes me how much inaccurate or BS things they say.   That said, over the last few years, I have seen a trend toward better presentation of material. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Their job is hard as they have to fill airtime between shots.  However, the more I learn about equipments and golf and strategy It  amazes me how much inaccurate or BS things they say.   That said, over the last few years, I have seen a trend toward better presentation of material. 

That is so very true C.  Agreed, it has become better.   I just find it funny when some announcers seem oblivious to things that we on the forum have been deep diving on for months.  I may have been critical in my tone, but I respect what they do, and mostly they help make my viewing of the tournaments more enjoyable.  Imagine how dry that would be with no commentators!  Though Spieth and his caddy could fill up most of that airtime if they are mic'd.  haha. 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

21 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

That is so very true C.  Agreed, it has become better.   I just find it funny when some announcers seem oblivious to things that we on the forum have been deep diving on for months.  I may have been critical in my tone, but I respect what they do, and mostly they help make my viewing of the tournaments more enjoyable.  Imagine how dry that would be with no commentators!  Though Spieth and his caddy could fill up most of that airtime if they are mic'd.  haha. 

With the on course mics some of the mistakes are becoming more obvious as well.  It just makes me laugh when the ball lands by the hole and the announcer talk about how he was pin hunting and shooting at the flag and then the play back the shot and you  and here the player say something like “oh no, I pulled that one”. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Posted this in the pick em thread as well, but since @Splatt is showing off his leaderboard here... this is the TCB Division Leaderboard.  

image.png

Ok day one didn't go to well for me.  I will note however that 4 of my 5 guys played Spyglass Hill on day one, which I believe is considered the hardest course.  So hopefully improvement is on the way.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

3 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

Ok day one didn't go to well for me.  I will note however that 4 of my 5 guys played Spyglass Hill on day one, which I believe is considered the hardest course.  So hopefully improvement is on the way.

That DEFINITELY makes a difference.  This leaderboard will change a lot between now and Sunday afternoon!!  I'm pulling for you Stuka!!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 minute ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

That DEFINITELY makes a difference.  This leaderboard will change a lot between now and Sunday afternoon!!  I'm pulling for you Stuka!!

There will definitely be shake ups as the weekend progresses. Course difficulty I feel is factoring largely into the current leaderboard. Speith said in a post round interview that the last 4 or so holes he played winds were all over the place and opposite of what the forecast had predicted and they were planning for. Will be a fun weekend!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

The wind is playing havoc out there