50th birthday iron fitting - what to try for a lefty?

DStar

I've got my 50th coming up this year and I'll be treating myself to a new set of fitted irons.

Only ever played 2nd hand off eBay and not had a fitting before and want to go into it with no preconceptions of what is best for me.

With that in mind, what would you recommend I put on the list to try? Not fussed about massive distance gains as I prefer feel and can gap accordingly if I need to. Open to combo sets, whatever will work best really.

I'm in the higher swing speed category (playing Mizuno MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus 115 X stiff), 7i typically carry around 170y.

Current index 11.6 but this is only my 3rd year playing again after a long break so I'm hoping that will come down - aim is to get to about 8 by the end of the season. 

The only criteria is that I'm left handed so that rules out quite a few options. 

Hit me with your best recommendations 👍

:cobra-small: Aerojet  🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small: JPX921SEL 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 120 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

38 minutes ago, DStar said:

I've got my 50th coming up this year and I'll be treating myself to a new set of fitted irons.

Only ever played 2nd hand off eBay and not had a fitting before and want to go into it with no preconceptions of what is best for me.

With that in mind, what would you recommend I put on the list to try? Not fussed about massive distance gains as I prefer feel and can gap accordingly if I need to. Open to combo sets, whatever will work best really.

I'm in the higher swing speed category (playing Mizuno MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus 115 X stiff), 7i typically carry around 170y.

Current index 11.6 but this is only my 3rd year playing again after a long break so I'm hoping that will come down - aim is to get to about 8 by the end of the season. 

The only criteria is that I'm left handed so that rules out quite a few options. 

Being that you are in the UK you can reach out to the Sub70 guys and do an inhouse fitting. Not only that but they build the clubs there, personalize them and have plenty of lefty options. 

I think you'd like the options they have and the experience would be a great part as well!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

21 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Being that you are in the UK you can reach out to the Sub70 guys and do an inhouse fitting. Not only that but they build the clubs there, personalize them and have plenty of lefty options. 

I think you'd like the options they have and the experience would be a great part as well!

Good call! Had forgotten about Sub70 and, after a little search, found the UK fitting centre is only about 15 miles form me 🙂 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

9 minutes ago, DStar said:

Good call! Had forgotten about Sub70 and, after a little search, found the UK fitting centre is only about 15 miles form me 🙂 

Even if you don't go that route I am sure the experience with them would be great! 

My email interactions with them was spot on and appreciated all that they did to make sure everything was on point.

Edit: if you're there and they have the black 659 CB heads let me know! 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

1 hour ago, Andrew75 said:

Should have said I'm in the UK 🙂 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

Wilson D9 forged, or CB.  Both made for those of us on the right side of the ball.  Price and performance all bundled together.   Ping and Srixon both are good about making lefty sticks too.  I've heard great things about i230 and ZX 5/7.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

No matter which way you go with these I am truly excited to see how it ends up and what makes the bag!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 hour ago, JohnSmalls said:

Wilson D9 forged, or CB.  Both made for those of us on the right side of the ball.  Price and performance all bundled together.   Ping and Srixon both are good about making lefty sticks too.  I've heard great things about i230 and ZX 5/7.  

I have the ZX5 and they are so good! Cannot recommend them enough. I was fit for them and they stood out over everything I touched. Feel and performance were better than the rest. 

TigerPill

Driver :   image.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max 10.5 Degrees

3 Wood/5 woodimage.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max

19 Degree Hybrid:image.png.5d38f343d0caf1092558753dc83992bd.png G425 

5-LW:   image.png.ddef8ede1026d2294f93865dffbbdf18.png  ZX5, Recoil 760/F3, GW, SW, LW - Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putterimage.png.84b4d7270ae3f7c5fdd6efd713fa767d.png  Tri-Hot 5k Seven 

If you've been playing Mizuno for a while, it's hard to find anything that beats them for feel and quality at a reasonable price point.

I'd suggest a trip down to Bearwood Lakes for a fitting session:

https://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/the-course/coaching-and-fitting/

It's a Performance Fitting Centre which is a plus and the swing DNA system takes a lot of the BS out of shaft selection. Loads of options and great bunch of guys.

Alternative Performance Fitting Centres can also be found here:

https://mizunogolf.com/uk/custom-fit/performance-centres/

13 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

My club pro is a Ping fitter so they are very easy to try. New Srixons look fantastic so they can go on the list 👍

12 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

No matter which way you go with these I am truly excited to see how it ends up and what makes the bag!

Me too! 😁

9 hours ago, jaskanski said:

If you've been playing Mizuno for a while, it's hard to find anything that beats them for feel and quality at a reasonable price point.

I'd suggest a trip down to Bearwood Lakes for a fitting session:

https://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/the-course/coaching-and-fitting/

It's a Performance Fitting Centre which is a plus and the swing DNA system takes a lot of the BS out of shaft selection. Loads of options and great bunch of guys.

Alternative Performance Fitting Centres can also be found here:

https://mizunogolf.com/uk/custom-fit/performance-centres/

The 3 sets of irons I've had have been Mizzies. MX23, MP32 and MP54 so MP223's and new JPX's will be tried for sure 🙂 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

• 1 month later...

I just got fitted for my irons.  There are so many good sets out there.  My only advice is go in with an open mind.   Try things that are off your radar because you maybe surprised by the results.  

Driver: :cobra-small:  Rad Speed Graphite Design IZ 7 Stiff shaft 

FW: :cobra-small: Rad Speed 3w Graphite Design IZ 7 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :cobra-small: Rad Speed 3h & 4h UST Recoil ESX 480 Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: 22 Forged Tec  KBS $ 120 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM 8 54* & 60*

Putter: :cobra-small: King Vintage Nova 40

Ball: Vice pro

Other: :Arccos:

• 11 months later...
On 2/2/2023 at 8:34 AM, Andrew75 said:

Late to this but I built a set of the Geotech c17's and I’m really happy with how they came out. I was able to buy directly from Geotech’s Japanese site with a little help from the browser translator. I wanted to build a set myself and it was surprisingly easy

edit: apparently these were finally discontinued? They’re no longer on the geotech site and show as out of stock on tour spec 

20230415_193014903_iOS.jpeg

Edited by gohatters

-GoHatters

On 2/2/2023 at 7:01 AM, DStar said:

I had my 1st iron fitting a few weeks back (also a lefty, albeit with a MUCH lower carry number than yourself; 7i = 145 yards).
I travelled up from Plymouth to the Bristol/Chippenham area to try to get a good batch of brands in one area/day. At American Golf Bristol I hit P790, Cobra Forged Tec, Ping i525, T200 & Apex Pro, then moved onto Chippenham Golf Centre hitting the i525 again, Srixon ZX5mkii and finally seeing a PXG fitter at the same location. 
Was a close thing for me between ZX5mkii, PXG 0317T and PXG 0311 Gen6P's; I opted for the forgiving cuddle from the 0311P's (moving from G410's). 

The 0317T's are some of the most beautiful heads I've ever seen; seems a shame to get them muddy. 
The difference in fitting experience between American Golf and PXG was SO stark; AG is lightyears behind, both in terms of tech and detailed explanations...still using loft and lie boards! PXG was detailed and honest, couldn't do enough for me, even when I'd clearly run over my allotted time! 

All the best with your fittings; let us know what you go for. 

Bag full of mostly PING, apart from Cleveland CBX wedges..I need all the help I can get! 

9 hours ago, jazz15c said:

I had my 1st iron fitting a few weeks back (also a lefty, albeit with a MUCH lower carry number than yourself; 7i = 145 yards).
I travelled up from Plymouth to the Bristol/Chippenham area to try to get a good batch of brands in one area/day. At American Golf Bristol I hit P790, Cobra Forged Tec, Ping i525, T200 & Apex Pro, then moved onto Chippenham Golf Centre hitting the i525 again, Srixon ZX5mkii and finally seeing a PXG fitter at the same location. 
Was a close thing for me between ZX5mkii, PXG 0317T and PXG 0311 Gen6P's; I opted for the forgiving cuddle from the 0311P's (moving from G410's). 

The 0317T's are some of the most beautiful heads I've ever seen; seems a shame to get them muddy. 
The difference in fitting experience between American Golf and PXG was SO stark; AG is lightyears behind, both in terms of tech and detailed explanations...still using loft and lie boards! PXG was detailed and honest, couldn't do enough for me, even when I'd clearly run over my allotted time! 

All the best with your fittings; let us know what you go for. 

+1 for the PXG 0317T and 0311 P lines. I was fitted for and currently game the 0311 Gen 5 P irons and they're fantastic. Went in for a spec check as I've gained a lot of club head speed and my shafts aren't a great fit for me anymore and got to hit the Gen 6s and the 3017T and the are both great. Had gone to a different fitter before PXG and the lefty options were limited. If you do get fit, I would look into their lefty options, if they only have a few options I don't believe you're getting the best fitting for your money. 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/