Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Nippon Modus 3 Iron Shaft - REVIEW

Nippon Modus 3 Iron Shaft Review

Nippon Modus 3 (4).JPG

Introduction

Ask your average golfer what shafts are in their irons and (assuming that they know) you're likely to get one of three responses: Dynamic Gold, Project X, or KBS. I suspect that many golfers, particularly better players, assume those are the only choices that they have. I am here to tell you that there's another shaft that needs to be in the mix the next time you're getting fit for irons: the Nippon Modus 3. Why do you need to check this out? Read on, spies…

Nippon Modus 3 (7).JPG

Notes, Feel, and Miscellaneous

Let's start off with a few technical specs: the Nippon Modus 3 is offered in regular, stiff, X-stiff, and Tour X. The weight of the shaft varies with flex: 111, 114, 120, and 126 grams, respectively. All the shafts are billed as “mid/high” kickpoint for a lower, more penetrating trajectory.

The first thing I do when I get a set of iron shafts for review is weigh them. Obviously we'd like every shaft to be exactly the same weight, but as long as they're one or two grams above or below the listed weight, I tend to think that the quality control is acceptable. The results of weighing the Nippons were not just acceptable, they were extraordinary. The heaviest shaft in the batch weighed 114.5 grams. The lightest weighed 113.5 grams. Huge kudos to Nippon for having such tight tolerances.

In addition to the tight tolerances, the biggest thing that sets the Modus 3 apart from other “players” iron shafts is the feel. While the other shafts mentioned have a heavy thud at impact, the Modus 3 offers an extremely crisp impact. To me, this feel is the signature of all the Nippon shafts that I've ever tried. The difference between other shafts and the Modus 3 is akin to the difference between a steel putter shaft versus graphite: the latter feels more “filtered,” cleaner, and crisp.

One final miscellaneous note is that the graphics on the Modus 3 are not a sticker as they are with every other steel shaft, but rather they are printed right on the shaft. Personally, I love this: I don't have to worry about putting the sticker on just right or having it peel off over time. I can also see the downside: you don't get the choice of not having graphics on your shaft. Regardless, I find the graphics to be simple yet cool.

The Nippon Modus 3 can be purchased for around $37 per shaft. While this is decidedly more than a Dynamic Gold, it's in the same ball park as a Project X or KBS. As always, the value is in a great fit.

Nippon Modus 3 (6).JPG

Performance

As usual, I've broken the Performance section into two pieces: Data (launch monitor testing) and Real World (range and course). For the performance testing, I first collected launch monitor data with KBS Tour shafts in my trusty old Mizuno MX-23's. Then I re-shafted half of the set with the Nippons (half were left with the KBS so that I could have head-to-head comparisons on feel and performance).

DATA

The launch monitor testing showed a very clear pattern throughout the set: compared to the KBS Tour shafts, the Nippon Modus 3 launched lower (anywhere from 1.5* to 2* lower) and spun at the same rate or slightly higher (maximum difference was 300 RPMs more backspin). Given that one of the complaints that I hear about the KBS Tour is the higher launch angle, I think the Nippon is an excellent alternative.

Dispersion with the Nippon was also excellent. It was consistently the equal of the KBS Tour in dispersion. The slight variations in favor of one or the other are more likely attributable to the golfer, not the shafts.

REAL WORLD RESULTS

I was able to take the Nippon Modus 3 to the range to go head to head with the KBS Tour on a few occasions. The majority of the testing sessions faced a brisk headwind which was excellent for testing how the shaft performed in a real, on course setting. Into the wind, the lower launch of the Nippon proved to be a substantial benefit: the ball seemed to be less effected in terms of both distance and direction. The added spin that I saw on some of the clubs was not visibly evident on the range: there was no ballooning whatsoever.

Nippon Modus 3 (10).JPG

Conclusion

Though I've been a very happy, monogamous user of KBS Tour shafts for a number of years, the Nippon Modus 3 has caused my eye to wander a bit. The next time I get a new set of irons, the Nippon Modus 3 will be on my “must try” list, and they should be on yours as well.

Nippon Modus 3 (11).JPG

VISIT WEBSITE: www.nipponshaft.com

FOLLOW ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/#!/NipponShaft

FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nippon-Shaft/96901325247

Nippon Modus 3 (12).JPG

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Thanks for the another great review!!! I have looked at these shafts before but have never found much information or reviews on them.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I love these reviews, keep them coming! I honestly hadn't heard of Nippon, but I'll put them on my list of shafts to try out, I really need to bring my ball flight down on my irons.

Thank you, glad you're enjoying them.

The Nippon is a great option because it offers the lower ball flight without feeling as stiff and heavy, IMO. And I absolutely love the impact feel, so crisp.

Interesting review Matt as I found the exact opposite in terms of results. For me, it launched and spun more then a KBS Tour 120 but not as much as the KBS Tour 90 and was signifigantly higher and spinnier then anything in the dynamic gold lineup (aside from the XP and HL). It seemed to pair up around Project X Flighted or the Rifles. Lower by far though of any other Nippon I've tried though.

Cheers for the write up!

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I would love to compare on of the Nippon Modus 3 Tour X shafts to the KBS C-Taper X. I have read and been told the Nippon Modus 3 is a lot like the playing charismatics in terms of spin and launch angle except it feels a lot smoother. It is slightly less workable then the DG x100 and slightly less spin. I don't know if that holds to be true or not.

I am a high spin player when it comes to irons so I would balloon the DG x100 if I got too aggressive on the swing. I went into the PX 6.5s to flatten out the ball flight but never really liked the harsh feel of the PX line. KBS C-Taper was the perfect answer, lower spinning flat trajectory that felt smooth.

Maybe someone that has hit both the C-Tapers and the Modus 3 could shine some light on that comparison between the two shafts.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I've been demoing the Nippon Super Peening Blues for some time now and crisp was the first thing that came to my mind also. I've had a 5 iron and an 8 iron in a Scratch SB-1 head and I love the SPB. I've always played DG s300s, but I wanted something slightly more piercing on full swings. The SPB are very slightly lower, but the feel has more feedback. Because they play a half flex softer than DG I am using the x flex SPB. They are the blades of shafts - nothing feels better on a pure hit and off center hits feel stiff. I love the feedback. The kick also feels more consistent than my DG S300s.

The Modus almost sound like a C-taper type shaft?

Some other random thoughts from my trials:

• x100 feel stiff and heavy. I don't have the power for them.
  • C-Tapers feel counter balanced like I have to resist flipping through impact.
  • KBS in general feel like I'm flipping. I haven't found anything I like about them that is better than another shaft.
  • Steel Fiber i125 cw grams are pretty unique. Very playable for me, but heavy swing weight. Seems like a good option for a strong player who wants height.
  • Nippon SPB x flex play a lot like DGs300s, but seem to be better made, tighter play, and more feedback

I spy with my little eye something...

• C-Tapers feel counter balanced like I have to resist flipping through impact.
  • KBS in general feel like I'm flipping. I haven't found anything I like about them that is better than another shaft.

KBS Tour & KBS Tour 90 (stepped chrome shaft) drops about 2 swing weight points when everything else remains the same in the iron D2 to a D0 they act like they are counter balanced for swing weighting purposes. These do feel like they are counter balanced to some people.

The KBS C-Taper (stepless satin shaft) is standard weighting and swing weights the same as DG, PX. I think you might have KBS Tour confused with C-Tapers two completely different models and designs all together.

http://www.kbsshafts.com/kbs-fit-system.php

From the KBS FAQ section

9. Are shafts in the KBS series “counter-balanced”?

No. As explained in Q10 shafts in the KBS series have a unique center-of-gravity that maintains proportionality through the club. Whereas many shafts in the marketplace have ‘reinforced' tips (added weight in the tip), KBS shafts have continual mass and taper rate proportionality throughout the shaft.

This was written before the C-Taper was released it is talking about the KBS Tour & Tour 90

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Interesting review Matt as I found the exact opposite in terms of results. For me, it launched and spun more then a KBS Tour 120 but not as much as the KBS Tour 90 and was signifigantly higher and spinnier then anything in the dynamic gold lineup (aside from the XP and HL). It seemed to pair up around Project X Flighted or the Rifles. Lower by far though of any other Nippon I've tried though.

Cheers for the write up!

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience. As I always try to say: my experiences/results are NOT EVER definitive, they are only my experiences.

I would love to compare on of the Nippon Modus 3 Tour X shafts to the KBS C-Taper X. I have read and been told the Nippon Modus 3 is a lot like the playing charismatics in terms of spin and launch angle except it feels a lot smoother. It is slightly less workable then the DG x100 and slightly less spin. I don't know if that holds to be true or not.

I am a high spin player when it comes to irons so I would balloon the DG x100 if I got too aggressive on the swing. I went into the PX 6.5s to flatten out the ball flight but never really liked the harsh feel of the PX line. KBS C-Taper was the perfect answer, lower spinning flat trajectory that felt smooth.

Maybe someone that has hit both the C-Tapers and the Modus 3 could shine some light on that comparison between the two shafts.

I tested the C-Taper last year and I don't think the Modus 3 is anything like the C-Taper. The C-Taper is a beast: low launch, low spin, super tight dispersion (also, FWIW, a terrible fit for me, at least in S flex). The Nippon is not super low anything, just lower launching than the KBS Tour that I normally play.

I just got the pro modus 3 x in the i20 irons and have only played 3 rounds so far, but they feel really nice. I do this the ball quite high with them but i think it is mostly the heads as I hit it high when i demoed the x100s, PX, KBS with the i20s. Haven't tested them in too much wind and probably won't until I'm done with this semester of school. Hope it's a good fit the more I get used to them and get to practice with them

WITB:

Ping G30 9* (set to 10*)- Ping Tour 60 X

Ping G20 15* - Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 19* (set to 20*) - Graphite Design Deep Impact 80H X

Adams CMB 4-GW - TT Dynamic Gold Tour X100

Cobra Trusty Rusty 55* and 61* - TT S200

Taylormade New Spider Mallet 35"

I tested the C-Taper last year and I don't think the Modus 3 is anything like the C-Taper. The C-Taper is a beast: low launch, low spin, super tight dispersion (also, FWIW, a terrible fit for me, at least in S flex). The Nippon is not super low anything, just lower launching than the KBS Tour that I normally play.

Thank you for the input that helps me a ton, I probably won't waste my time and money testing the Nippon Modus 3 unless for some reason it is in the builders shop that I use just for fun.

Just a little about KBS C-Taper it is not for everyone that is for sure.

It is best for the player that has issues with ballooning shots in other lines of shafts.

It is more in line with Project X (non-flighted). You have to recall that Kim Braly (Kim Braly Steel ~ KBS) used to own PX when those shafts were satin. The satin profile in the PX is completely different from the chrome (True Temper) profile that is on the market now.

C-Taper is basically the PX satin profile with a smoother feel.

The KBS C-Taper X-Stiff feels like it plays like a PX 6.5 chrome shaft. The butt on the x-stiff is a 7.3 however the over all feel to the profile is more around 6.8 I would say and very very smooth for a steel X-Flex shaft. Majority of people coming from PX 6.0 should try the C-Taper S+ (plays about 6.2 in feel) not the S, most people will find the KBS line to feel way too weak in the same flex from one brand like DG / PX when moving to the KBS Line. The KBS Tour acts counter balanced in swing weighting so that is a down fall as well.

I went back and hit a PX 6.5 first swing I went WOW that is harsh, just been used to my smooth as slick shafts for a long time now I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Matt, I was also able to try the Modus...I believe right after you left. I'd like to add my 2cents into this topic if I may.  While I like the kbs tour shaft, I prefer the feel of the dg.  Neither is really ideal for me in terms of distance control or dispersion.  Both tend to give me a bit more side spin than I want, especially when I don't want it.  I want high and straight for the most part. While not perfect, the project x has given me the best performance.  Its less than adequate for chipping/pitching, but ive found it to be deadly accurate with controlled, full swings.    ---enter Nippon Modus--- while I've only had 2 range sessions and 2 rounds with an ap2 712 6 iron & Modus, it's been the best shaft I've found so far.  The Modus definitely plays stiffer than the feel might suggest.  The standard stiff held up really well for me.  Swing speed is around 87 +/- a few mph with 6i.

. There was a par three at ruffled feathers (chicagoland) at which I must've hit 10-15 tee shots... It was really 5i distance for me but I wanted to see how the muscled 6i would fly.  Minimal side spin and distance was consistent (even miss hits flew very straight).  I really liked how the shaft responded to all tempos and speeds - it held up comparably well with knockdowns.  This shaft also performed excellently into and down wind...was barely affected.

FYI to another poster - I have tried the ctaper. It didn't work at all for my tempo. I tried it in s and s+.  I couldn't spin anything less than 7i enough.  Everything would fall out of the sky.  Feel of the shorts irons was great but I didn't like the effort needed to feel the shaft load.  

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience. As I always try to say: my experiences/results are NOT EVER definitive, they are only my experiences.

I meant to say that I have heard it plays like DG more then C-Taper or KBS but smoother feel then DG, guess I left a few key words out.

So really the question i was trying to ask is... how would you put it up against a DG in terms of spin, launch and feel?

Matt, I was also able to try the Modus...I believe right after you left. I'd like to add my 2cents into this topic if I may. While I like the kbs tour shaft, I prefer the feel of the dg. Neither is really ideal for me in terms of distance control or dispersion. Both tend to give me a bit more side spin than I want, especially when I don't want it. I want high and straight for the most part. While not perfect, the project x has given me the best performance. Its less than adequate for chipping/pitching, but ive found it to be deadly accurate with controlled, full swings. ---enter Nippon Modus--- while I've only had 2 range sessions and 2 rounds with an ap2 712 6 iron & Modus, it's been the best shaft I've found so far. The Modus definitely plays stiffer than the feel might suggest. The standard stiff held up really well for me. Swing speed is around 87 +/- a few mph with 6i.

. There was a par three at ruffled feathers (chicagoland) at which I must've hit 10-15 tee shots... It was really 5i distance for me but I wanted to see how the muscled 6i would fly. Minimal side spin and distance was consistent (even miss hits flew very straight). I really liked how the shaft responded to all tempos and speeds - it held up comparably well with knockdowns. This shaft also performed excellently into and down wind...was barely affected.

FYI to another poster - I have tried the ctaper. It didn't work at all for my tempo. I tried it in s and s+. I couldn't spin anything less than 7i enough. Everything would fall out of the sky. Feel of the shorts irons was great but I didn't like the effort needed to feel the shaft load.

Hey buddy! Glad to see you over here, and thanks for the input. I'm honestly a bit surprised that these are working so well for you, but I'm pleased to hear it. Not that it will stop your hoing.

I meant to say that I have heard it plays like DG more then C-Taper or KBS but smoother feel then DG, guess I left a few key words out.

So really the question i was trying to ask is... how would you put it up against a DG in terms of spin, launch and feel?

I haven't played DGs in a long time, but I would say the Nippon feels much better: smoother, crisper. For me, the DG would likely launch and spin less.

ddamn it now i want to reshaft my irons. and i love how light they are compared to S300s

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

• 5 months later...

I have used the nippon modus3 120 in XS for about 8 rounds already.

The iron shafts are installed in my Ping I20's from the 5 iron thru the PW.

The shafts have reduced my dispersion rate, and increased my distance by 10 yards.

The feedback from good hits is incredible...the trajectory and spin are spot on.

The shafts feel lights and you dont feel any vibration when you hit the ball.

I highly recommend them.

• 2 months later...

Archived