Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MGS Blog: Macgregor MT86 Irons

GolfSpy_APH

Screenshot_2023-02-06-16-31-24-69_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

https://mygolfspy.com/macgregor-mt86-irons-the-greatest-name-in-golf-returns/

Some brilliant looking irons and the return of legendary brand.

MACGREGOR MT86: FINAL THOUGHTS, SPECS AND PRICE

Retro seems to be a thing in 2023. Wilson brought back Dynapower and we also saw the return of Snake Eyes and PowerBilt branded clubs at the PGA Show to join Millington’s MacGregor-Zebra-Ram revival. Retro may be cool but performance is what counts—as does marketplace mindshare.

And marketplace mindshare is the hard part. Millington’s footprint is small and for the revival to have legs, there has to be more to it than just the name and logo.

“It’s a head start,” he says. “But we still have to do it well and do it right.”

The new MT86 irons (the “86” is a nod to Jack’s Masters victory that year) are available on the MacGregor website (Millington says an exclusive with a major U.S. retailer will be announced soon). Both the Pro and the OS will run $899.99 for a seven-piece set (4-PW) in steel and $999.99 in graphite.

Check out the full article in the link above and stay tuned for photo thread on these... @Golfspy_TCB

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

47 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Screenshot_2023-02-06-16-31-24-69_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

https://mygolfspy.com/macgregor-mt86-irons-the-greatest-name-in-golf-returns/

Some brilliant looking irons and the return of legendary brand.

MACGREGOR MT86: FINAL THOUGHTS, SPECS AND PRICE

Retro seems to be a thing in 2023. Wilson brought back Dynapower and we also saw the return of Snake Eyes and PowerBilt branded clubs at the PGA Show to join Millington’s MacGregor-Zebra-Ram revival. Retro may be cool but performance is what counts—as does marketplace mindshare.

And marketplace mindshare is the hard part. Millington’s footprint is small and for the revival to have legs, there has to be more to it than just the name and logo.

“It’s a head start,” he says. “But we still have to do it well and do it right.”

The new MT86 irons (the “86” is a nod to Jack’s Masters victory that year) are available on the MacGregor website (Millington says an exclusive with a major U.S. retailer will be announced soon). Both the Pro and the OS will run $899.99 for a seven-piece set (4-PW) in steel and $999.99 in graphite.

Check out the full article in the link above and stay tuned for photo thread on these... @Golfspy_TCB

I have been missing a set of MacGregor's since my MT Pro M's... SO good to have one of the oldest manufacturer's in golf back!!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I have been missing a set of MacGregor's since my MT Pro M's... SO good to have one of the oldest manufacturer's in golf back!!

MT86 OS 5 Iron Address.png

MT86.png

MT86 OS.png

MT86 OS PW Address.png

MT86 OS 7 Iron Address.png

MT86 OS (3).png

MT86 OS (2).png

MT86 (3).png

MT86 (2).png

MT86 Group Shot.png

12.png

MT86 PW Address.png

MT86 7 Iron Address.png

MT86 5 Iron Address.png

6.png

5.png

4.png

3.png

2.png

1.png

MacGregor MT86 Banner.png

MacGregor MT86 1500x1272.png

MacGregor MT86 Feature Image.png

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

So great... Now I'm in for buying TWO sets of irons this spring.... Thanks MacGregor!  The only question now is whether to get the Pro's or the OS's .  I'm telling you... I may be playing this year with 2 full sets on the cart, and two balls.  I'll wear a white hat and a black hat, depending on which bag I play.  I wonder if the course will allow a 5 some if two of the 5 are me. ???

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

47 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I'd love to test these Macs against my Tourney Vip 1025M Forged!!

Kenny B
Richland, WA
Handicap 8.9

🤣

We might have to club share Kenny!!  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Man! I didn’t think I would want irons this year but all these retro releases have me rethinking that statement. They look so clean

Edited by Connorn2

Driver: King Radspeed
3 Wood: Mizuno JPX 
Hybrid: 19* Taylormade SLDR
5 Wood: King Cobra Offset SS Hyper Steel
4-PW: Nike Covert VrS with Aldila VS Proto shafts
Putter: Wilson Buckingham

1 hour ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

We might have to club share Kenny!!  

I’m sure that we couldn’t hit each others very well with the difference in flex, but I’d give it a go. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

These are handsome. Always loved McGregor and my first set was some MacGregor Mac Ones.

The revival of retro brands, did golfspy say it was one person behind the resurgence on their podcast?

Driver Exotics EXS Pro with with Ventus Red TR stiff

3 Wood :Exotics CBX 15* w Fujikura Motore F1 70 Stiff

7 Wood: Great Big Bertha B23 w Adila RIP Gamma 60 stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w Prolaunch Axis red stiff

Utility Iron: Honma TR21x 5 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: Sizemore SB2

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

Those are very cool looking and seem to hit the look of a players club with some thicker topline and hollow body help mix perfectly. 

*I will not buy new irons, I will not buy new irons, I will not buy new irons*

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

20 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

So great... Now I'm in for buying TWO sets of irons this spring.... Thanks MacGregor!  The only question now is whether to get the Pro's or the OS's .  I'm telling you... I may be playing this year with 2 full sets on the cart, and two balls.  I'll wear a white hat and a black hat, depending on which bag I play.  I wonder if the course will allow a 5 some if two of the 5 are me. ???

Arnold Palmer would be proud of you playing with two full sets a round! 🤣🤣

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

17 hours ago, KOG said:

These are handsome. Always loved McGregor and my first set was some MacGregor Mac Ones.

The revival of retro brands, did golfspy say it was one person behind the resurgence on their podcast?

My first set of clubs was a mix of MacGregor, Arnold Palmer, Wilson, Spaulding LEFT handed and my first Right Handed set was my moms Sandra Haynies' (til I outgrew them at about 11)

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

Seeing that the new Macgregor parent company owns lots of "house brands" thats day has come and gone like Ram, what can we expect now? These seem to be great looking irons, but will people pay OEM pricing knowing that clubs are now a house brand instead of a stand alone oem? I guess we flocked to Kirklands so I'm saying yes, but curious what others think. Reminds me a lot of the old Golfworks catalog brands.

These clubs were designed by a long time Callaway designer, they are made by a chinese company, probably the same used by Callaway or other brands and they use actual KBS shafts. Callaway and others often use shafts that are cheaper versions of what the label says they are so I'd expect these to be every bit as good as anything else on the market. I just wish they had a 48* head to finish out the set, far more useful than the 4iron is.

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2023 at 8:50 PM, Golfspy_TCB said:

LOL I do it all the time on my early morning dewsweeper rounds. Mostly a mix of my somewhat "modern" clubs and of course the classics. My late friend Little Bear and I got into what we called "Despache Mode" and would have 2 staff bags loaded down plus like a Sunday bag thrown in the basket. One time at my former home course a gripey touron lady told the starter we had 3 sets of clubs on the cart and 3 people riding.. The starter knew us well ( RIP Bob) and did not look up and told her naah that was Bear and Stu messing around. She asked Bear how we could play that many clubs at one time? He told her well watch and see. LOL again I can remember when I was recovering I had like 28 clubs in a Lynx staff bag on the range being toted by the Motocaddy cart. I love it makes the "prim and proper" types wondering what I am doing. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 2/8/2023 at 1:27 PM, cardia10 said:

Seeing that the new Macgregor parent company owns lots of "house brands" thats day has come and gone like Ram, what can we expect now? These seem to be great looking irons, but will people pay OEM pricing knowing that clubs are now a house brand instead of a stand alone oem? I guess we flocked to Kirklands so I'm saying yes, but curious what others think. Reminds me a lot of the old Golfworks catalog brands.

Me being a long time old school Macgregor man at this time I am having mixed emotions. Even though I am mostly a lifetime Macgregor player with of course steel shafts I am leaning towards more modern. Right now I am experimenting with a more modern set of CBs with graphite shafts. After my accident in 2020 I have found out my old body will no longer hold up to playing 18 holes with blades and steel. I will continue to play some 9 hole vintage rounds with the persimmon and steel but I am leaning towards more modern heads with graphite. I may try a set of these hollow body irons with graphite in the future. But as with all DTC clubs I can not see myself putting out that much green without seeing and hitting one in person. 

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 2/7/2023 at 5:16 PM, tdroma98 said:

Arnold Palmer would be proud of you playing with two full sets a round! 🤣🤣

Yep have seen him playing casual rounds at Bay Hill before with 2 Callaway staff bags full of clubs strapped to a cart. 

G

Those are gorgeous!  Are they in any retailers yet, or is an online demo purchase the only way to test them out?  Thanks!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (ACCRA FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042