Good luck fixing your swing flaw, I know what mine is, yet I still do it. I come over the top and pull the irons left. I can either quit it, or aim far right. I am getting better because at one time I was 40 yards left of the green. Now I am 10. And also I do not do it very hole. And honestly, yesterday, I had 11 GIR in a row and two eagle putts, 11 birdie putts, and made 11 par putts.

Before you automatically conclude that I am a horrible putter, we got a new course superintendant last week. He actually has been a member of our club for a couple of years, and played there on the weekend but worked at another (nicer and fancier) club not far from here. He told the guy who cutts the holes to go ahead and use more of the green in stead of those few areas. He placed these cups on ridges and near the edges and on slopes. These were crazy placements, but we did not change them. It was kind of fun, but if golf were always that hard.

On one hole I remember I was discussing it with my partner who was right beside me and I said, according to the sky caddie were 150 to the front of the green, he said according to the laser were are 149 to the flag, and I said, well, that does not surprise me, the hole is 1 yard this side of the green. I said I think the next flag is floating on a raft in the lake.

My swing flaw is when I get lazy or try to hit the ball too hard from the top with my shoulders and upper body (think a lot of people do this). My right shoulder starts the downswing coming around the spine, causing all sorts of bad things to happen. To fix it i think about bumping my right knee towards the target sort of pushing off the inside right foot towards my left side leaving my shoulders alone. When I do this I can just feel like I am swinging 20% of full power with my body (it works more then that obviously) and get straighter longer results then when trying to kill it.

Basically make you body feel like it is doing 20% of the work and let the hands and club weight do the work feels like effortless power. Take Freddie Couples or Ernie Els for examples, lazy looking swings but bomb it.

In terms of top 5 score killers a swing flaw can lead to Penalty Strokes off the tee and missed Greens to put a lot of pressure on your short game. The hardest part when you find hte flaw is to correct it and keep the correction not have the 'old swing' creep in on you in the middle of a round.

Look at Tiger for example working with Foley, took him a long time to make the Foley swing work under pressure still doesn't have it perfect.

Yesterday I got a sad reminder about how my game USED to be. My buddies and I used to play "Pick Up Sticks" all the time (the game where your opponent gets to take a club away from you after winning a hole). We used to play everyone against me, as I was a much lower handicap than everyone else. They used to take away my driver first, because I hit it so much longer than they did. Yesterday my buddy says "you remember when we used to play PUS and we would take your driver away first? Now thats the last club I'd take." Ouch, talk about a punch in the gut. Pretty much explains the state of my game right now. I debated taking the driver out all together, but instead I decided to go a different direction. I cut my driver down to 44", which is 1/2" longer than my 3W. I figure if I hit my 3W in the fairway 75% of the time, then I should be able to do it with a driver of about the same length. We'll find out next time I actually get to play.

Yesterday I got a sad reminder about how my game USED to be. My buddies and I used to play "Pick Up Sticks" all the time (the game where your opponent gets to take a club away from you after winning a hole). We used to play everyone against me, as I was a much lower handicap than everyone else. They used to take away my driver first, because I hit it so much longer than they did. Yesterday my buddy says "you remember when we used to play PUS and we would take your driver away first? Now thats the last club I'd take." Ouch, talk about a punch in the gut. Pretty much explains the state of my game right now. I debated taking the driver out all together, but instead I decided to go a different direction. I cut my driver down to 44", which is 1/2" longer than my 3W. I figure if I hit my 3W in the fairway 75% of the time, then I should be able to do it with a driver of about the same length. We'll find out next time I actually get to play.

It is actually really common for Tour players to have Drivers at 44.75" or 44.50" you just don't read about it too often as OEMs want to sell distance instead of control. I look at the length of my Driver being the length that allows me to find the center of the face the most often.

I was taking about this in a different thread and i promise to get back on topic more with score killers after I say this.

Ball speed translates to distance more then swing speed. You can hit a driver with a 1.40 smash factor at 100mph SS which is about 140mph Ball speed. The same driver at 98mph with a 1.45 smash factor will create a ball speed of 145mph. It is roughly 2 yards of carry per 1mph of ball speed. It is FAR more important to find the sweet spot on a golf club then swinging it fast when it comes to driving or any shot it will take less effort to get longer, straighter, more consistent results.

I played 9 holes yesterday and wow Penalty Strokes chewed me alive. All of them were from the tee which is not a good thing, Was supper sloppy in my swing yesterday. Felt like I was swinging like a 30 handicap, scored more around a 12-15 handicap however thanks to good putting and an average short game. Took 6 PS in 9 holes think that is my record since keeping stats. Thinking about my game too much need to just get back to swinging freely and not worrying about results.

I guess that was my big error yesterday, the logical part of your brain is a lousy golfer and not a good athlete :)

Basically make you body feel like it is doing 20% of the work and let the hands and club weight do the work feels like effortless power. Take Freddie Couples or Ernie Els for examples, lazy looking swings but bomb it.

Look at Tiger for example working with Foley, took him a long time to make the Foley swing work under pressure still doesn't have it perfect.

The guys give me a very hard time saying that I am making up my back problems. Since November, I have been very much been trying to emulate Fred Couples swing. I probably should not admit this but I even bought Ashworth Cardiff golf shoes so that everytime I looked down at the ball I would see those shoes and it would be a trigger to make the proper swing. The funny thing is for the last month and a half I am driving the ball better than I ever have in my life. Everytime I rip one right down the middle there are comments about the supposed back problems. I feel as if I am trying to hit one just over second base and it is going over the center field fence.

I totally understand what Tiger is going through, I can swing effortlessly all week long and then get on the back 9 on Saturday or Sunday and revert back to the old ways. Saturday, on 16 with $100 bill on the line I swung like I did not even know how to spell golf.

I totally understand what Tiger is going through, I can swing effortlessly all week long and then get on the back 9 on Saturday or Sunday and revert back to the old ways. Saturday, on 16 with $100 bill on the line I swung like I did not even know how to spell golf.

LOL that is hilarious...

The logical part of my brain is a terrible golfer, just need to get good mental picture and swing, normally good things happen when you are not thinking 20 things on swing keys on the golf course. I re-learned that lesson the hard way yesterday.

TIP for high handicappers and mid handicappers, do not think about anything on the course other then good smooth tempo, swing thoughts and swing keys should be on the practice tee :)

LOL that is hilarious...

TIP for high handicappers and mid handicappers, do not think about anything on the course other then good smooth tempo, swing thoughts and swing keys should be on the practice tee :)

This is not exclusive to high or mid handicappers! I worked with a player yesterday who has a very good swing, but does not know how to turn off his mind. We spent the entire lesson working on being target oriented over the ball. I told him that he could have swing thoughts and practice swings when he was 3 feet behind the ball, but once he got over it he could only think about the target.

This is not exclusive to high or mid handicappers! I worked with a player yesterday who has a very good swing, but does not know how to turn off his mind. We spent the entire lesson working on being target oriented over the ball. I told him that he could have swing thoughts and practice swings when he was 3 feet behind the ball, but once he got over it he could only think about the target.

Obviously I am completely guilty of this, and how it got brought up so no it's not always just high handicappers and mid handicappers that have this problem. I'm a single digit (My current starting this season is 9.2, I switched handicap services and only reported the scores so far for this season) with the issue from time to time. Just really wanting something too badly or thinking too much about poor shots etc, bad mental approach basically thus why it is number 4 on my list when for a lot of people it could be number 1.

I think that they were talking about how Hunter Mahan started to just play golf not let bad shots effect him mentally and is starting to play really really good golf lately. Easiest way to beat a personal best regardless of whom you are is just let it happen.

Here is the article on Hunter and his mental approach --> http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Mahan-s-newfound-mental-approach-yields-SHO-3451714.php

I'd say other than putting, my mental game holds me back more than anything. I'm going to try to really focus on having the exact same routine before hitting a ball and not allow any swing thoughts when I get to the ball. Keep these sort of posts coming, I've been eating them up!

So I finally got around to viewing this topic today. Yesterday I did one thing that changed my scores DRASTICALLY. I took matts advice and didn't think of swing keys over the ball I did them from behind the ball as part of my pre-shot routine.

WOW results were great, On Tue i shot 54 on the front nine from the gold tees (one in front of the tips), yesterday I shot 40 from the tips, dropped 14 strokes from one day to the next just having a better mental approach over the ball. Beat my personal low score for that 9 by one stroke of 41 to 40, was really happy with my tempo and swing all around. Still took one hole that was a Trip Bogey PS, but eliminate that and sub 40 nine holes without blinking.

Thanks Matt for the reminder on that little key.

I played today using a phone app, seeing if I would like that better than the sky caddie, it gave me the option of using there game tracking software so I thought I was using that apparently I was not because at the end of the round I looked at the score card and found it blank. But because I thought I had the phone tracking it for me I did not keep track on the scorecard with pencil. And i did not look at it until the end. Since it was blank I did not have the fairways and greens and putts and stuff I normally track. But I did recount my score. It eas pretty easy, bogey, seven pars, bogey, par, birdie, two pars, birdie, three pars and a bogey. Total all that up and you get 73.

Monday, I walked and played a three club match. The walking absolutely killed my back. Weather was too bad yesterday to play and probably could not anyway. Back was really bad today and was 30 to 40 yards shorter off the tee but still hit the irons ok. Chipped and putted great which makes all the difference.

Actually, what made all the difference was not thinking about anything but that shot. You can not birdie the hole from the tee box or the fairway. You can only make a birdie from on the green (yes you can chip in but that is the exception not the rule.)(but I almost did on 8 but had a 3 inch par putt instead.) Once you are on the green you can make a putt for birdie but there is no reason to think about that putt until you have it.

We played a 9 hole scramble tonight, there were four of us on the team, all four of these guys were bombers so I decided they could drive and I would only drive if they all got into trouble, they never did. I made a number of short shots and a bunch of putts. We were 9 under par.. Missed an eagle putt and missed a par but we made the rest. Played 9 hole scramble, ate dinner,

and still made $31.

So I finally got around to viewing this topic today. Yesterday I did one thing that changed my scores DRASTICALLY. I took matts advice and didn't think of swing keys over the ball I did them from behind the ball as part of my pre-shot routine.

WOW results were great, On Tue i shot 54 on the front nine from the gold tees (one in front of the tips), yesterday I shot 40 from the tips, dropped 14 strokes from one day to the next just having a better mental approach over the ball. Beat my personal low score for that 9 by one stroke of 41 to 40, was really happy with my tempo and swing all around. Still took one hole that was a Trip Bogey PS, but eliminate that and sub 40 nine holes without blinking.

Thanks Matt for the reminder on that little key.

Glad to hear that it helped. Nice bounce back!

Funny enough, I would have listed poor driving and poor fairway shots from 150+ out as the weak part of my game...

But, then two weeks ago my coach and I played a round together (we're friends too) - he tells me at the end of the round that I can get the ball around the course, but that if I want to score better, I really need to work on my game from 150 and in!!!!!

I do incur too many penalty strokes due to lost balls on my drives, and I three putt WAY too much.

I guess the three putts could be blamed both on my putting, as well as my shots from 150 and in not being close enough to the hole.

I was watching the Gary Player Interview posted on masters.com where he talked about putting being the most important part of the game. It is the interview video with him in the black coat rather then his green jacket. He said 'putting is the only shot that you play on every hole. That right there proves that it is the most important part of the game. Whomever putts the best here in Augusta normally wins the tournament.'

I think about the game from the green back to the tee and why my list started with butting and then went to short game, then just PS in general (long game mistakes normally), then course management mostly picking the wrong clubs from tee and missing the green in the wrong places (short sided and in trees 'jail' as I like to call it), mental approach as the last and it probably the hardest to learn but just as important.

OMG I have been fighting a hook like Muhammad Ali fought Joe Frazier and the hook kept winning. I have been forced to take 1/2 and 3/4 swings because I come over the top and pull hook it in to New Mexico. Well, not that far, but 40 yards with a 7 iron is a serious pull hook. I kept weakening my grip to no avail. This is just with irons and wedges. Driver and hybrid are fine. But I kept weakening my grip. This evening I was lying around here wondering if I should take different clubs for my match tomorrow and tournament on Saturday. I loaded them in the bag and had one in my hands and took a practice swing and did not have the urge to go over the top. Picked up one of my other irons and had the urge. I then got the other one and noticed I had a strong grip. I weakened it and wanted to come over the top with that one.

I have replaced my gamer irons in the bag again, now that I realize that the weak grip has been forcing my over the top move therefore contributing to the problem. I have been battling this for months and think that I have it solved. This is so exciting because with my driving, chipping and putting I have been shooting in the low 70's this week. I shot a 73 the other day and no par 3 or 4 greens in regulation with anything less than a hybrid and not a 3/4 or less shot. That is awesome golf. If I fixed my problem then I am kicking some serious butt this weekend.

I also fixed my short pitching problem that I have had for the past several weeks. It was very simple. I stood there in the fairway trying to decide exactly how hard to hit the ball, where to put it in my stance, and about 15 other things when it occured to me. Just walk up and hit the ball 30 yards. And I did. From that point on I started focusing on where I wanted it to go instead of all this other stuff. I was pitching today like I did a couple of years ago when I could not putt.

I will report if that is the solution. I know others have an over the top issue. By having the right hand rolled stronger it forces me to keep the elbow in and it is difficult if not impossible to come over the top with the elbow in.

OMG I have been fighting a hook like Muhammad Ali fought Joe Frazier and the hook kept winning. I have been forced to take 1/2 and 3/4 swings because I come over the top and pull hook it in to New Mexico. Well, not that far, but 40 yards with a 7 iron is a serious pull hook. I kept weakening my grip to no avail. This is just with irons and wedges. Driver and hybrid are fine. But I kept weakening my grip. This evening I was lying around here wondering if I should take different clubs for my match tomorrow and tournament on Saturday. I loaded them in the bag and had one in my hands and took a practice swing and did not have the urge to go over the top. Picked up one of my other irons and had the urge. I then got the other one and noticed I had a strong grip. I weakened it and wanted to come over the top with that one.

I have replaced my gamer irons in the bag again, now that I realize that the weak grip has been forcing my over the top move therefore contributing to the problem. I have been battling this for months and think that I have it solved. This is so exciting because with my driving, chipping and putting I have been shooting in the low 70's this week. I shot a 73 the other day and no par 3 or 4 greens in regulation with anything less than a hybrid and not a 3/4 or less shot. That is awesome golf. If I fixed my problem then I am kicking some serious butt this weekend.

I also fixed my short pitching problem that I have had for the past several weeks. It was very simple. I stood there in the fairway trying to decide exactly how hard to hit the ball, where to put it in my stance, and about 15 other things when it occured to me. Just walk up and hit the ball 30 yards. And I did. From that point on I started focusing on where I wanted it to go instead of all this other stuff. I was pitching today like I did a couple of years ago when I could not putt.

I will report if that is the solution. I know others have an over the top issue. By having the right hand rolled stronger it forces me to keep the elbow in and it is difficult if not impossible to come over the top with the elbow in.

I have had the same issue with my irons for a long time having to feel like i am holding off the release not to hit a hook at times. I have been experimenting with more tape under the right hand (low hand) to help take my right hand out of play and still make a good full release that I want to.

I took three 5" strips of double sided tape, first one went on lowest, 2nd about another 1/4" up the shaft, third 1/4" up the shaft from the 2nd strip. Staggering them keeps you from creating a seem under the grip. I then took one full strip over from where the first strips started all the way to the top of the shaft and spun it and closed off the end cut off the excess tap that was spun closed. This basically puts 1 wrap of double sided under the left hand (top hand for me) and 4 double sided strips under the right hand (lower hand for me). It would probably be better if you use build up tape under the lower hand but all i had was double sided.

The result has been great, on hard releases I get a 5 yard draw rather then a huge hook, I have to actually close face a little to get a big sweeping hook, I can work the ball on a baby cut a lot easier this way as well and even hit a big fade by opening the club face and hitting the little hold off swing that used to go straight. My average shot is a 1-3 yard baby draw which is perfect for me, very playable and I love the fell of the extra tape under my right hand just feels good with less tapper to the grip.

You might consider experimenting with building up your lower hand under the grip if you are lower hand dominate and fight hooks. Bubba Watson has 13 wraps under his lower hand for that reason, he says it's the only way he can work the ball the way he wants to.

My Top 5 Score Killers:

1) Course Management

2) Course Management

3) Course Management

4) Course Management

5) Course Management

Sincerely,

Phil Mickelson

I have had the same issue with my irons for a long time having to feel like i am holding off the release not to hit a hook at times. I have been experimenting with more tape under the right hand (low hand) to help take my right hand out of play and still make a good full release that I want to.

I took three 5" strips of double sided tape, first one went on lowest, 2nd about another 1/4" up the shaft, third 1/4" up the shaft from the 2nd strip. Staggering them keeps you from creating a seem under the grip. I then took one full strip over from where the first strips started all the way to the top of the shaft and spun it and closed off the end cut off the excess tap that was spun closed. This basically puts 1 wrap of double sided under the left hand (top hand for me) and 4 double sided strips under the right hand (lower hand for me). It would probably be better if you use build up tape under the lower hand but all i had was double sided.

The result has been great, on hard releases I get a 5 yard draw rather then a huge hook, I have to actually close face a little to get a big sweeping hook, I can work the ball on a baby cut a lot easier this way as well and even hit a big fade by opening the club face and hitting the little hold off swing that used to go straight. My average shot is a 1-3 yard baby draw which is perfect for me, very playable and I love the fell of the extra tape under my right hand just feels good with less tapper to the grip.

You might consider experimenting with building up your lower hand under the grip if you are lower hand dominate and fight hooks. Bubba Watson has 13 wraps under his lower hand for that reason, he says it's the only way he can work the ball the way he wants to.

I did this to my new driver. I do not have as a sever problem with my driver as I do my irons, but I am much more likely to hook than slice. I set the new driver to the 2.5 degree open position and added 7, I think, layers under the right hand and 5 under the left. It is about as anti hook as you can get. It is absolutely hilarious when a higher handicapper take it and set up to hit the ball with it. They are used to the 1.5 or 2 degrees closed faces so this is scarey open. They all say they like the feel of the grip but then so far too a man they have sliced the shot.

I did change my grip (the way I hold the club) and this has helped tremendously with to the pull hook. I have only two rounds since the change. No golf today.

For me it's:

1) Bad tempo - this will kill my whole round if I'm swinging out of my shoes and not feeling the club head. A bad tendency that I revert back to from time to time.

2) Consistency with the Driver - I don't care if I'm not hitting it straight as long as it's consistent. If that's the case then I can compensate and play with it. For instance, if I'm drawing or hitting a borderline hook, then I can aim down the right hand side and bring it back into the fairway. If I happen to hit it straight the next time doing that then I could be OB.

3) Lack of accuracy on approach shots - Nothing burns my a$$ more than giving up shots in the short approach game. Especially if I'm driving the ball exceptionally well.

4) Sand Play - I'm a horrible bunker player. The pros find it easy and sometimes intentionally hit it into bunkers. Evidently they don't play in the dirt and rock strewn bunkers my muni courses feature.

5) The Shanks - My flat swing is prone to them. And they come in bunches - like locusts.

For me it's:

1) Bad tempo - this will kill my whole round if I'm swinging out of my shoes and not feeling the club head. A bad tendency that I revert back to from time to time.

2) Consistency with the Driver - I don't care if I'm not hitting it straight as long as it's consistent. If that's the case then I can compensate and play with it. For instance, if I'm drawing or hitting a borderline hook, then I can aim down the right hand side and bring it back into the fairway. If I happen to hit it straight the next time doing that then I could be OB.

3) Lack of accuracy on approach shots - Nothing burns my a$$ more than giving up shots in the short approach game. Especially if I'm driving the ball exceptionally well.

4) Sand Play - I'm a horrible bunker player. The pros find it easy and sometimes intentionally hit it into bunkers. Evidently they don't play in the dirt and rock strewn bunkers my muni courses feature.

5) The Shanks - My flat swing is prone to them. And they come in bunches - like locusts.

3 of the 5 things that you posted here sound like an issue with a flat swing plane. Numbers 2,3 & 5 all can be caused from a flat swing plane. There is a difference between a one plane golf swing and a flat swing. In a one plane golf swing your lead arm turns roughly at the same angle that your shoulders turn within roughly 12*. Bellow are two examples of one plane golf swings using Matt Kuchar.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVqmf_OgkAA#! (Part 1)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-fU_Emoh4E (Part 2)

It sounds like you have problems with getting too flat in the backswing, if you get stuck it will be a block/shank right. If you time it a little fast you hit a huge hook, and on good timed shots it is a good draw.

Tempo and bunker play might come a little easier for you if it is true that you swing plane is too flat, a lot of people think a one plane swing is flat when it really isn't as the videos above talk about.

So I played on Monday just 9 holes after I got off work and shot a lot better score then it could have been all due to putting and short game. I saved 8 strokes in just putting alone, 2 strokes from pitch/chipping. I have more detail bellow but I think that a lot of people under rate putting and short game adding strokes to their scores. Here is the break down of my round and what saved me strokes on each hole. I ended up shooting 2 over par 38 for the nine holes with a bogey and triple bogey. Played Hole 4 thru Hole 9 two under.

Hole 1 (par 4) ~ FIR, Bunker into the wind left short of the green, bad pitch shot left 15 feet short, canned putt for bogey.

--> Saved 1 stroke making a putt cost myself a struck with poor bunker play.

Hole 2 (par 4) ~ FIR, Just over the back of the green chip to 3 feet, holed putt to save par that broke 1/2 a cup.

--> saved myself a stroke making a non gimme 3 footer.

Hole 3 (par 4) ~ PS lost ball, 3 for tee right, 4 hit a tree left short, 5 left short (getting cute), 6 on the green finally to 2 feet, holed putt for triple bogey 7.

--> Could have been worse like an 8, but this was just a blow up hole so to speak lots of bad things happened

Hole 4 (par 3) ~ GIR, 2 putts from 35 feet

--> first putt had about 3 feet of break so not easy getting a 2 putt had to make a good effort on the first not to 3 putt

Hole 5 (par 4) ~ missed FIR (by 3 yards) tight lie on dirt (thin grass in that spot), GIR, 2 putts from 30 feet

--> 2 foot break downhill again no real easy two putt still need get speed and line close

Hole 6 (par 4) ~ FIR, GIR, 2 putts from 20 feet

--> first putt was up and over a spine then downhill breaking 5 feet no easy task to 2 putt

Hole 7 (par 5) ~ FIR, GIR (in 2 from 240) about 30 feet left, 2 putts for birdie

--> 6 feet break left myself 3 feet behind the hole still needed to make the putt back not to 3 putt

Hole 8 (par 3) ~ missed hole high right of green, hit PW bump and run to 4 feet, 1 putt for par

--> had to start the putt outside of the hole it was a downhill breaker that was no little easy 4 footer

Hole 9 (par 5) ~ missed FIR but great lie, GIR (in two from 220), 2 putt from 40 feet for birdie

--> The first putt I made was a TERRIBLE stroke hit the putt way off the toe and left myself 8 footer breaking a 1/2 firm to make birdie. That could have easily been 3 jacked after my first attempt.

For those keeping track of stats

FIR ~ 4 of 7 hit (missed two with 3-5 yards off the FIR + good lies)

GIR ~ 5 of 9 (missed two GIR by 1 to 5 yards got up and down both times, one PS, one terrible bunker hole that was no excuse)

Putts ~ 14 total (could have been easily 16-18 putts)

Up/Down ~ 2 of 2 attempts

Bunkers ~ 0 of 1 attempts

Obviously my bunker play and tee shot that cost me the PS killed my best potential score, however I keep that score down with solid putting and short game.