TESTERS WANTED! ×

Played Thursday - Joined A Course - Anyone Else here Join a Muni ?

mainuh

Earlier in the week I decided that I wanted to get out for 18 yesterday. I visited the websites of a few of the local courses that are in my rotation to check out the 2012 greens/cart fees. There was one particular course that I've played in the past that I've always liked - beautifully maintained, very nice design, but somehow was not always on my radar.

The town that I live in has no golf course so where ever I play its always as a non resident and the fees always reflect that.

I've always considered joining one course in particular as its a pretty good track as far as muni's go.

They offered a non resident season pass for $350.00. Doing some quick back of the envelope accounting and the difference between what I'd save just never made sense.

The course that I joined yesterday -Tashua Knolls (click link to see a great course) offered a senior non resident membership for.....$40.00

Upon walking into their Pro Shop yesterday you've never seen someone pull 2 / $20's out of their wallet more quickly.

Monday thru Thursday, I've never played on a weekend, $33.00 w/ cart.

Best money I've spent in a long time. Now yesterday was a bit slow there as it was overcast and windy so that might explain the following but I was greeted as a new member by everyone from the Pro, the shop staff, starter and even a grounds keeper - amazing.

In fact when I walked into the Pro Shop after my round one of the staff introduced me to several other people there - talk about customer service.

On a side note, and its a sad commentary about a course that you've played quite often when you go to their home page and the following is the very first thing that you see with the text highlighted in a black box -

Please note that jeans of any style (shorts or long pants), short shorts or mini-skirts, cut offs, tank tops, dew rags , bathing suits or mens and boys shirts without a collar are NOT permitted.

Caps should be worn with the bill facing forward

Only soft-spike shoes or rubber soled shoes are permitted.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

I belong to our local muni and we have a thriving association there, one of the biggest in town at 85+ guys for the past 6 years. I just recently began my tenure as President of said association!

Good munis and the diversity of people they attract are more fun in many ways than a country club. Many of our guys came from country clubs and seem to prefer our muni to wherever they came from!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I can't say that mine can be considered a muni course, I would lean it towards semi-private / resort even though it is technically public. They offer lockers and bag storage to members and the membership coasts are not low and reflect the public play rates.

The big difference between my club and a pure private club is the amenities such as pool, tennis, gym, etc. Plus public play is allowed without a member bring a guest.

The Public play rates tend to bring in a different type of public player, you don't get the same players on a muni then you will at my club. I have a friend that belongs to a muni near his house but they have 4 9 hole courses, so play isn't that bad. The atmosphere in a muni is more relaxed an laid back. Sometime this can be a bad thing because lay can be packed with 30+ handicaps getting hammered and yelling on the course having a little too good of a time disturbing other players around them.

Both a Country Club, Semi Private / Resort, Muni have ups and downs to them. I find that I like my course as it has enough public play to meet a lot of different people but on the flip side of the coin it tends to have very knowledgeable golfers with etiquette out there. That is the one thing that I hated about the muni I played getting hit into a lot, not being waived to play through, Just seems that people at the muni don't know etiquette at all. You might have different experience around you I don't know.

http://golf.duke.edu (Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club)

Member guest fees line up more like a public course then the regular guest fees

Morning Member Guest
Mon - Thur ~ $35
Fri, Sat, Sun ~ $75 w/ golf car

Mid-day Member Guest (after 1:30)
Mon - Thursday ~ $35
Fri, Sat, Sun ~ $50

Guest Late-day (Public Play) (after 4:30)
Mon - Thursday ~ $25
Fri, Sat, Sun ~ $35

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Been thinking about this really hard as of late..three local courses are all run by the same company and offering memberships to all 3 in 1 membership, an associate membership for all 3, and a mini associate membership for all 3..some really great deals.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I'm a memeber at 2 courses, costs me around $400us a year. Unlimited playing rights, no tee bookingd, just turn up. Granted I'm in the South Island of NZ. So its a bit of a haul for most of you. Year round as well by the way.

Pity I'm moving.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Love how many options you all have to choose from. We have several public courses nearby, but only one of the public courses offers a membership (we've got 4 private courses that I can only ever dream of joining)

My local course was closed for 3 1/2 years.....then reopened last October.....the fairways & greens are awesome....the clubhouse has been revamped inside out so that you would not recognize it. And....instead of memberships, it is totally public. The only membership fee is $30 annually for the Men's Golf Assoc. that plays every Saturday morning....we now have over 80 members and average 40-46 each week. We run a small $20 game each week and a semi-annual two day tournament. As a Golf Assoc. member, we get about a $6 discount per round and a 10% discount in the Pro Shop. The owner considers us his "Members".

Here is the website:

Quail Hollow Golf Club

Although the basic layout is the same as before, the greens were completely renovated with many undulations added. They are also much faster than other local courses.

The dining is also very good....so we eat there at least once a week.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Last year the private club next to my house was doing a membership drive with no initiation fees and only $165/month for unlimited play with a cart. I would have loved to pull the trigger on that, but knew it wasn't in the budget as we were trying for baby 2. I like to play a variety of courses, so I don't know if I would be happy paying for a membership, because I'd be obligated to play there. I don't know of its true, but someone told me that we had the 3rd most courses per capita in the US.

Archived