Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The (VGA) Veterans Golf Association (Lacassem's Journey & Others)

2 hours ago, milledon said:

Do you think this is good for high handicappers? I'm a 20-21 handicap and don't want to slow the pace of play. 

Short answer is yes! You only compete directly against other players in your flight, and the D flight (15 and higher) you play net scoring and at 20-21 you'll be at the upper edge of your flight. Play an event I'm 10000000% certain you will quickly find out that 1- you aren't as bad as you think you are, and 2- everyone else around you has their fair share of mistakes just like the rest of us.

I think that's one major thing a lot of us players contemplating trying one of these amateur tours misunderstand. Playing on one of these tours doesn't automatically make one a better player. My first 3 events were the WORST scores I had ever posted before, or since. Took me that long to figure out I just needed to play golf instead of worrying about POP, or other distractions we all face. At the end of the day, it's still, and just golf. 

Edited by Shank Aaron

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

1 hour ago, milledon said:

Do you think this is good for high handicappers? I'm a 20-21 handicap and don't want to slow the pace of play. 

I've played with plenty of high-cappers who are absolutely not an issue when it comes to pace of play.  Sure, a high handicap player is literally taking more shots to finish, but I don't think that means one can't keep up.  

Sounds like you should give it a try! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 2/16/2023 at 12:29 PM, Shank Aaron said:

Oh, and the Armed Forces Cup. Forgot to mention that.

To those who don't know, every branch from every region puts together a team based on a season long points and qualifying tournaments to compete head-to-head in a match play event every season. The last few seasons have been at Pinehurst #2, but this year it's at Champions Retreat (https://www.championsretreat.net/). Definitely an event I hope to play in future. 

2nd the AF Cup tournaments. I've played in the Ranier Cup version up in WA and it is a great 3 day format. Although I think we need to keep a closer eye on the Air Force players and double check any Army math 😁

🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Subdiver1
  • Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

7 hours ago, milledon said:

Milledon my friend I have played with some 20+ handicappers that I would choose to play with ANY day over some of the "low" handicappers I've played with who think they need to mark and line up EVERY frickin putt and who wait until everyone else is done putting to walk around their putt 3 frickin times. I get having a routine, but walk around while.others are doing so, pick you line and frickin putt the ball. There isn't some $1M purse on the line and if your really stressing a 3 footer that much your probably going to miss it anyway after all of that.Then there are the "better" players that take themselves so seriously they have to have everyone standing 8 feet behind and to the left or they can't take their shot, God forbid you walk, shift your weight or cough while they are lining up their approach shot across the fairway. Give me a group of high handicappers who are there to PLAY any day brother. I'm pretty competitive, but give me a frickin break already. Come on out and have fun my friend. 

2 hours ago, Subdiver1 said:

Milledon my friend I have played with some 20+ handicappers that I would choose to play with ANY day over some of the "low" handicappers I've played with who think they need to mark and line up EVERY frickin putt and who wait until everyone else is done putting to walk around their putt 3 frickin times. I get having a routine, but walk around while.others are doing so, pick you line and frickin putt the ball. There isn't some $1M purse on the line and if your really stressing a 3 footer that much your probably going to miss it anyway after all of that.Then there are the "better" players that take themselves so seriously they have to have everyone standing 8 feet behind and to the left or they can't take their shot, God forbid you walk, shift your weight or cough while they are lining up their approach shot across the fairway. Give me a group of high handicappers who are there to PLAY any day brother. I'm pretty competitive, but give me a frickin break already. Come on out and have fun my friend. 

Thanks for the encouragement Subdiver. You a submariner? My son is on the USS North Carolina in Pearl Harbor. 

PXG Driver, 3W, 25 & 28 Hybred, 6-9 Irons, Warbird Putter

Cleveland CBX2 52, 56, 60 wedges

On 2/18/2023 at 6:20 PM, Subdiver1 said:

I could not agree with this anymore. The guys I prefer to play with are all in the 19+ range and we group up every event we play. We just have a good time together, and it makes for a very enjoyable round. 

And if I'm being perfectly honest here, I have my share of holding up our group just as much as anyone on the course for any number of reasons. Lost tee shot, multiple chip shots, hit a tree or 5, or (my personal fav) the 4 shots it took me to get out of pot bunker. Dont let that kind of stuff stop you from trying it out. You'll for sure be surprised at how easy and fun the round is regardless of how you played/finished. 

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

Well first tournament round in. Was a small field and chilly!

Met a few great folks including the state rep John. Great guy and talked about the league and how today was going to work. Mentioned a few tournaments he travels to and more then welcome to tag along. Was really great.

I dropped the MGS line to him and mentioned this thread. He knows of the site and was ecstatic and thanked me for starting it. Hopefully it can get some folks through here as I post on instagram.

Looking forward to the next one! Hopefully a few degrees warmer.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

5 hours ago, Shank Aaron said:

I could not agree with this anymore. The guys I prefer to play with are all in the 19+ range and we group up every event we play. We just have a good time together, and it makes for a very enjoyable round. 

And if I'm being perfectly honest here, I have my share of holding up our group just as much as anyone on the course for any number of reasons. Lost tee shot, multiple chip shots, hit a tree or 5, or (my personal fav) the 4 shots it took me to get out of pot bunker. Dont let that kind of stuff stop you from trying it out. You'll for sure be surprised at how easy and fun the round is regardless of how you played/finished. 

You caught me there; the one that a slows me down, for myself or anyone else is looking for that "lost" ball.  I HATE losing a ball or seeing one get lost.  But then there is that one time when someone finds mine and I get look at where it is and start wishing I never even bothered to look 😭; insult on top of injury is never a good spot to be in.

On 2/18/2023 at 2:08 PM, glenmore5 said:

Hi  Lacassem,

I am from Australia...we have had a VGA for as many years that I can remember....great way of meeting fellow golfers in this category...I have just returned from a 4 day WOG (Week of Golf)...on our South Coast.

Enjoy your foray into these events....

Yes, I too have been playing with the Australian Vets, which is run well with a region or town hosting events during most weeks. Organised on a state-by-state basis for both men and women, there are usually competition rounds on the Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Fridays, with a two or three round overall tournament plus a lovely get-together dinner on the Thursday evening, or an extravagant lunch after the Friday round. There is often a group of caravan couples touring as they travel, following the trail from one tournament to the next. It's fantastic for us retirees, and a great way for my wife and me to see country Australia while getting in some golf!

In fact, my profile pic shows me with the Neville Reid Memorial Trophy for winning the overall event at Tocumwal, NSW a few years ago - that was a week to remember!

Everyone, I'm the VGA State Director for Massachusetts.  If anyone has any questions regarding the Veteran Golfers Association or the current VGA tournament schedule here in MA, you can find my contact info via the VGA Chapters page on the VGA website.  The schedule is still a work in progress but here's the current events on the calendar here in MA for the 2023 season.  Also check out the tournament schedule for CT & RI if you are in the New England area.

Give us a follow on Instagram & Facebook!!

Veteran Golfers Association (Massachusetts) Insta

Veteran Golfers Association (Massachusetts) Facebook

2023 VGA Calendar.png

Edited by AF-VET-23YRS-Boston
addign social media handles

Testing

7 minutes ago, AF-VET-23YRS-Boston said:

Everyone, I'm the VGA State Director for Massachusetts.  If anyone has any questions regarding the Veteran Golfers Association or the current VGA tournament schedule here in MA, you can find my contact info via the VGA Chapters page on the VGA website.  The schedule is still a work in progress but here's the current events on the calendar here in MA for the 2023 season.  Also check out the tournament schedule for CT & RI if you are in the New England area.

2023 VGA Calendar.png

Thanks for jumping in John, was a really great gathering last week.

Curious, and maybe other are too, how did you get involved with the VGA and end up becoming the state director?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

Great question!  I'm actually actively looking for an assistant State Director here in MA.  If anyone is interested in becoming an Assistant State Director, they should contact the current State Director listed on the VGA Chapters page.  Roles & Responsibilities of can be found below.  

State Director - The primary responsibilities of a VGA State Director are as follows:

• Coordinate and oversee the running of competitive golf tournaments in coordination with their Assistant State Directors. State Directors are the responsible party for the VGA tournament schedule in their state and need to manage it accordingly.
  • Host a State Championship as part of the start of the VGA playoff season, assuming their state can host an event based on membership requirements.
  • Promote the VGA and drive recruitment of new members.
  • Build course relationships that yield great venues for VGA events.
  • Build relationships that could yield fundraising opportunities for the VGA.
  • Drive fundraising in their state.

Assistant State Director - The primary responsibilities of a VGA Assistant State Director are as follows:

• Assist their State Director with the scheduling and execution of any VGA tournaments in their state.
  • Drive recruitment of new VGA members.
  • Assist in state level fundraising where possible.

Testing

• 3 weeks later...

I've got my kick-off the calendar year this Sunday at Lu Lu Country Club in Pa. Never played there, but just going through the preview on my Arccos app it's not a long course (my flight plays from the whites), but those elevation changes!! HOLY @*#^%$!! From +63' to a 63' drop and everything in between. I very seriously hope the current weather picture holds.......

1 hour ago, Shank Aaron said:

I've got my kick-off the calendar year this Sunday at Lu Lu Country Club in Pa. Never played there, but just going through the preview on my Arccos app it's not a long course (my flight plays from the whites), but those elevation changes!! HOLY @*#^%$!! From +63' to a 63' drop and everything in between. I very seriously hope the current weather picture holds.......

Good luck look forward to hearing about it!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

VGA is awesome. I currently play in the KS/MO chapters. Have played in the CA/WA chapters in the past. 

I qualified for regionals last year but the wife and I had a vacation to Jamaica planned 🤣

Driver: Callaway Paradyme Smoke Max, 9* stiff flex

5 wood: Sub 70

7 wood: Sub 70

Driving 2 iron: PXG 0311 X, reg flex steel

5-PW: Callaway Paradyme, 1/2" over, neutral lie, reg flex.

50/54/58 deg wedges: Sub 70

Putter: PXG GEN 1 Brandon, 35" shaft.

Ball: Vice Pro Zero

Ok, so Sunday did not go as planned, at least by my expectations. The course was in GREAT shape given the time of the year, and the massive amount of rain it got the day before, and the entire Staff went out of their ways to make us feel welcomed. I'm from Florida and do my best with cold weather playing, but even with the lack of wind and copious amounts of golf specific winter layers, I was frozen to the bone the entire day. Matter of fact, by the time I drove the 90 minutes home, my hands were still cold to the touch. But, like us Veterans do, I suffered in silence, and offer zero excuses. I sucked, plain and simple.

The good news has MANY sides. I didn't suffer alone, my buddies had me laughing all day, and I got to play golf at a very sneaky difficult course I wouldn't be allowed to play otherwise. All in all, still a great day to play golf with my brothers. Our presence was even graced by our Regional Director, and if you don't know of him, he does a great job taking care of all of us regardless of State. Next week is Twisted Dune down near Atlantic City, NJ, and it looks like it will be a true challenge. Links course with legit links style winds? Bring it on, and just send it!

1 hour ago, Shank Aaron said:

Ok, so Sunday did not go as planned, at least by my expectations. The course was in GREAT shape given the time of the year, and the massive amount of rain it got the day before, and the entire Staff went out of their ways to make us feel welcomed. I'm from Florida and do my best with cold weather playing, but even with the lack of wind and copious amounts of golf specific winter layers, I was frozen to the bone the entire day. Matter of fact, by the time I drove the 90 minutes home, my hands were still cold to the touch. But, like us Veterans do, I suffered in silence, and offer zero excuses. I sucked, plain and simple.

The good news has MANY sides. I didn't suffer alone, my buddies had me laughing all day, and I got to play golf at a very sneaky difficult course I wouldn't be allowed to play otherwise. All in all, still a great day to play golf with my brothers. Our presence was even graced by our Regional Director, and if you don't know of him, he does a great job taking care of all of us regardless of State. Next week is Twisted Dune down near Atlantic City, NJ, and it looks like it will be a true challenge. Links course with legit links style winds? Bring it on, and just send it!

Sounds like my round, BUT always a great time with brothers!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

On 3/13/2023 at 10:44 AM, Lacassem said:

Sounds like my round, BUT always a great time with brothers!

Man, we were all really impressed by the course conditions given the time of year and the weather they got the day/night before. One thing that did stick out in my mind that still makes me laugh- you have to cross the 12th and 17th fairways on foot to get to the driving range. The range itself is roughly 10 yards from the fringe of the middle of 17's fairway. In the 30 minutes I took to warms up, I had to take cover 9 times, with 4 landing within a few yards. Each time the guys would politely come over and apologize profusely. After the 3rd apology, and completely off the cuff, I looked the guy with a smile and said "Nah, no worries, bud. We've all been shot at before, so you're good". That became the standard response for the rest of the day. Making memories, y'all. 

7 minutes ago, Shank Aaron said:

Man, we were all really impressed by the course conditions given the time of year and the weather they got the day/night before. One thing that did stick out in my mind that still makes me laugh- you have to cross the 12th and 17th fairways on foot to get to the driving range. The range itself is roughly 10 yards from the fringe of the middle of 17's fairway. In the 30 minutes I took to warms up, I had to take cover 9 times, with 4 landing within a few yards. Each time the guys would politely come over and apologize profusely. After the 3rd apology, and completely off the cuff, I looked the guy with a smile and said "Nah, no worries, bud. We've all been shot at before, so you're good". That became the standard response for the rest of the day. Making memories, y'all. 

Never shot at here but interesting times with boarding small boats and those lovely folks in the gulf driving right at you on fast attacks not knowing if they’re gonna stop or just drive into you and detonate whatever they have on it.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

On 3/13/2023 at 6:01 AM, Shank Aaron said:

And therein lies the key to it all, "I didn't suffer alone, my buddies had me laughing all day, and I got to play golf at a very sneaky difficult course I wouldn't be allowed to play otherwise. All in all, still a great day to play golf with my brothers." It is easy for us to forget, especially being competitive types, that we should be thankful that we are still here, especially after some of the places we found ourselves in service to others, and enjoy the day.  I'll admit I am probably a pain in the @$$ for the guys I play with because I TRY to have a good time and get all of us chuckling and enjoying the day, regardless of the quality or pace to play; it doesn't always work, but I try to focus on that.  I HATE being cold, but I still go out up here in WA with the guys Nov-Mar because of the company and trying to remember, it is good to be on this side of the dirt and physically able, well kind of, to play the game.

Cheers brother.  Glad to hear you had a good time.

Wasn’t sure where to toss this but all those veterans out there under armor online is doing 40% off, super easy if you have Id.me

Not sure how long but I’ve got a cart ready to go lol

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All.

I am playing in the VGA Kansas first event of the season this Saturday at Firekeeper Golf Course. Wish me luck!

http://www.firekeepergolf.com/

Driver: Callaway Paradyme Smoke Max, 9* stiff flex

5 wood: Sub 70

7 wood: Sub 70

Driving 2 iron: PXG 0311 X, reg flex steel

5-PW: Callaway Paradyme, 1/2" over, neutral lie, reg flex.

50/54/58 deg wedges: Sub 70

Putter: PXG GEN 1 Brandon, 35" shaft.

Ball: Vice Pro Zero

2 hours ago, US_Navy_Retired said:

Greetings All.

I am playing in the VGA Kansas first event of the season this Saturday at Firekeeper Golf Course. Wish me luck!

http://www.firekeepergolf.com/

Enjoy! I have an event at the end of the month, cant wait.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

• 2 weeks later...

As a fellow vet, I'm intrigued. None of their website info included what the annual dues are. Are they regionally based or universal? And how much? Looks like the south region has several events near me that would fit around my regular summer league schedule.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

28 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

As a fellow vet, I'm intrigued. None of their website info included what the annual dues are. Are they regionally based or universal? And how much? Looks like the south region has several events near me that would fit around my regular summer league schedule.

Like @AF-VET-23YRS-Boston standard fee. Then when you register you have the tournament partial cost “registration fee” and then settle up at the course day of the tournament. 
remember you can play in any tournament in any state, I’m in the Rhode Island border and can play there or if I’m in Florida j can play there if I wanted.

Have my tournament coming up on the 30th really trying to get out there next week to run through the track. Can’t play this week so hopefully next week weather wise works out!

Check out my reviews:

WITB: