TESTERS WANTED! ×

The (VGA) Veterans Golf Association (Lacassem's Journey & Others)

Kinda late to this thread, but I have done VGA here in Georgia/South Carolina for the last year or so. Tons of fun, play courses I generally wouldn’t at good prices, gets to meet me m other vets, and play at least semi competitive golf ( I say that cause….I suck). Hope you are enjoying it! Getting my buddy who retired about the same time I did out there for his first two events this weekend!

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

16 hours ago, DechamBRO said:

Kinda late to this thread, but I have done VGA here in Georgia/South Carolina for the last year or so. Tons of fun, play courses I generally wouldn’t at good prices, gets to meet me m other vets, and play at least semi competitive golf ( I say that cause….I suck). Hope you are enjoying it! Getting my buddy who retired about the same time I did out there for his first two events this weekend!

A 15 hc is far from sucking.....haha

Just keep at it brother, I have made a ton of friends playing in these events.

Driver: Callaway Paradyme Smoke Max, 9* stiff flex

5 wood: Sub 70

7 wood: Sub 70

Driving 2 iron: PXG 0311 X, reg flex steel

5-PW: Callaway Paradyme, 1/2" over, neutral lie, reg flex.

50/54/58 deg wedges: Sub 70

Putter: PXG GEN 1 Brandon, 35" shaft.

Ball: Vice Pro Zero

On 4/18/2023 at 7:41 AM, Lacassem said:

Like @AF-VET-23YRS-Boston standard fee. Then when you register you have the tournament partial cost “registration fee” and then settle up at the course day of the tournament. 
remember you can play in any tournament in any state, I’m in the Rhode Island border and can play there or if I’m in Florida j can play there if I wanted.

Have my tournament coming up on the 30th really trying to get out there next week to run through the track. Can’t play this week so hopefully next week weather wise works out!

At our last event here in Kansas, we had folks from 5 different states. I plan on playing a few out of state tourneys this year also. 

Driver: Callaway Paradyme Smoke Max, 9* stiff flex

5 wood: Sub 70

7 wood: Sub 70

Driving 2 iron: PXG 0311 X, reg flex steel

5-PW: Callaway Paradyme, 1/2" over, neutral lie, reg flex.

50/54/58 deg wedges: Sub 70

Putter: PXG GEN 1 Brandon, 35" shaft.

Ball: Vice Pro Zero

5 minutes ago, US_Navy_Retired said:

A 15 hc is far from sucking.....haha

Just keep at it brother, I have made a ton of friends playing in these events.

Not if you actually saw me play. VGA has me at 13.2.....played my first and best event there, then hurt my back. Had to get a microdiscectomy (I know how you feel Zalatoris!!) Since then, i just have been fighting coming over the top. I keep finding quick fixes that get me good for a round or two, then it is like I have never golfed before (tops, thins, massive pullhooks, etc.). Golf is fun!

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

1 hour ago, DechamBRO said:

Not if you actually saw me play. VGA has me at 13.2.....played my first and best event there, then hurt my back. Had to get a microdiscectomy (I know how you feel Zalatoris!!) Since then, i just have been fighting coming over the top. I keep finding quick fixes that get me good for a round or two, then it is like I have never golfed before (tops, thins, massive pullhooks, etc.). Golf is fun!

I can feel this pain very deep down........the sucking part, and the back issues. 

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

Tournament coming up this Sunday. Crosswinds Golf Course https://www.golfcrosswinds.com/

Sunday looks cool at 58* and potential rain so we will see.

This course is interesting in that it has 3 separate 9 hole courses and when paired up the different ways results in (playing Jones + Ouimet)

image.png.36425ffc0a3a3c0047228517d6c7b243.png

I downloaded on Arccos and went through the courses layout and some of my initial take aways are"

Starting on the Jones course I will either be gold or black tees. Not sure yet, will know one I get to the course. Hole 1 is an interesting par 5 start. Water off the tee which looks a little intimidating coming out and very strategic bunkers.

From there most of the par 3 and 4's are straight forward. A few par 4's will play to my fade driver and looks like a handful will be a driving iron to be safe.

Hole 8 on the Jones course will be interesting. Long par 3 with water left

image.png.d357e189efb4e8670993ff74f2e7541f.png

The Ouimet couse looks a little different with more elevated tee shots and sloped fairways. Pin point shot making will be a little more important on this side from what I can tell.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Good assessment of the course.  I've played it a few times ealier this year and really like all 3 9's.  Zaharias is a really fun 9.  Wish I could have gotten Zaharias / Jones for the VGA tournament.  I'll be publishing the tee sheet later tonight along with tee boxes by flight.  

Testing

4 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Tournament coming up this Sunday. Crosswinds Golf Course https://www.golfcrosswinds.com/

Sunday looks cool at 58* and potential rain so we will see.

This course is interesting in that it has 3 separate 9 hole courses and when paired up the different ways results in (playing Jones + Ouimet)

image.png.36425ffc0a3a3c0047228517d6c7b243.png

I downloaded on Arccos and went through the courses layout and some of my initial take aways are"

Starting on the Jones course I will either be gold or black tees. Not sure yet, will know one I get to the course. Hole 1 is an interesting par 5 start. Water off the tee which looks a little intimidating coming out and very strategic bunkers.

From there most of the par 3 and 4's are straight forward. A few par 4's will play to my fade driver and looks like a handful will be a driving iron to be safe.

Hole 8 on the Jones course will be interesting. Long par 3 with water left

image.png.d357e189efb4e8670993ff74f2e7541f.png

The Ouimet couse looks a little different with more elevated tee shots and sloped fairways. Pin point shot making will be a little more important on this side from what I can tell.

Good luck Mark!

Sounds like a great time and fun way to get the competitive juices flowing.

I'm sure you've already mapped the courses and your strategy but if not bluegolf has some good online maps.

Crosswinds is one of the best on the cape and very memorable as you will see.

Oooo-rah!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

3 hours ago, AF-VET-23YRS-Boston said:

Good assessment of the course.  I've played it a few times ealier this year and really like all 3 9's.  Zaharias is a really fun 9.  Wish I could have gotten Zaharias / Jones for the VGA tournament.  I'll be publishing the tee sheet later tonight along with tee boxes by flight.  

Thanks John looking forward to it!

3 hours ago, AF-VET-23YRS-Boston said:

Thanks John looking forward to it!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

3 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

Good luck Mark!

Sounds like a great time and fun way to get the competitive juices flowing.

I'm sure you've already mapped the courses and your strategy but if not bluegolf has some good online maps.

Crosswinds is one of the best on the cape and very memorable as you will see.

Oooo-rah!

Thanks Jason. Glad to see ya back we need to get a round in

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Looks/sounds like a really challenging course to play, good luck brogey!

I'm off until the 10th for Bethpage Black, then hitting the summer swing hardcore. Bethpage Red, Ferry Point, and a couple of exclusive clubs in NJ. 

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

8 minutes ago, Shank Aaron said:

Looks/sounds like a really challenging course to play, good luck brogey!

I'm off until the 10th for Bethpage Black, then hitting the summer swing hardcore. Bethpage Red, Ferry Point, and a couple of exclusive clubs in NJ. 

Damn good lineup rifgt there! Is there still opening for BPB lol

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Good evening - question about the VGA - I assume you pay a tournament fee to play in one of the events? Is that dependent on the course being played or a flat fee? I saw on their website that they have some events near here (Huntsville, AL) that would be an easy drive - unfortunately none in or around town - but what are typical fees to play in one of the tournaments? Thanks for the help!

:titleist-small: TSI3 9°

:taylormade-small: M4 3W 15°

:srixon-small: Zx 5W 18°

:PXG: Gen 3 P 4-AW

:cleveland-small: CBW SW 56°

Harry Taylor LW 60° 

:PXG: Gunboat

3 minutes ago, Mike T C said:

Good evening - question about the VGA - I assume you pay a tournament fee to play in one of the events? Is that dependent on the course being played or a flat fee? I saw on their website that they have some events near here (Huntsville, AL) that would be an easy drive - unfortunately none in or around town - but what are typical fees to play in one of the tournaments? Thanks for the help!

So there is a signup fee and then the course tournament. Which from what I see includes lunch, range time and cart. This upcoming tournament was $20 to register which goes to the VGA I believe. 
Course fees are a little bigger this upcoming one is $101 and normal Sunday rate is $84 so with the lunch and range included it’s really not bad.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

SO the VGA tournaments typically have a $20 registration fee plus a greens fee. The State Directors work hard to negotiate the best rates possible for the greens fees. Depending on the course, sometimes you'll pay the greens fees directly to the course. Other times the course will require lump sum payment in advance and in those cases the player would be charged the $20 registration fee + greens fees at the time of registration.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Testing

7 minutes ago, Mike T C said:

Thanks, that sounds good - will join tonight!

You won't be sorry. Good luck this season. 

12 minutes ago, Mike T C said:

Thanks, that sounds good - will join tonight!

Agreed it’s great even if ya get a handful of tournaments. This is my first year and I’ll get at-least 4 in, hopefully more we’ll see

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I am amazed though how I never knew this existed until today. I saw that their national headquarters is in Pinehurst where we lived for 3 years while stationed at Bragg. They need to advertise more!!

:titleist-small: TSI3 9°

:taylormade-small: M4 3W 15°

:srixon-small: Zx 5W 18°

:PXG: Gen 3 P 4-AW

:cleveland-small: CBW SW 56°

Harry Taylor LW 60° 

:PXG: Gunboat

8 hours ago, Mike T C said:

I am amazed though how I never knew this existed until today. I saw that their national headquarters is in Pinehurst where we lived for 3 years while stationed at Bragg. They need to advertise more!!

I saw some stuff on Instagram once and then at the PGA showcase last year but that’s about it. I am glad this little lost has produced a little bit of action and atleast one sign up!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

12 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Thanks Jason. Glad to see ya back we need to get a round in

Yessir! We definitely need to get on that, STAT.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

I saw some stuff on Instagram once and then at the PGA showcase last year but that’s about it. I am glad this little lost has produced a little bit of action and atleast one sign up!

I'm very certain there's been quite a few more than one sign up because of this thread. You're doing good work, brogey. 

On 4/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, Shank Aaron said:

I'm very certain there's been quite a few more than one sign up because of this thread. You're doing good work, brogey. 

I joined last week and will be playing in my first event on Sunday. Weather is not cooperating. Supposed to be raining. Oh well. 

PXG Driver, 3W, 25 & 28 Hybred, 6-9 Irons, Warbird Putter

Cleveland CBX2 52, 56, 60 wedges

2 minutes ago, milledon said:

I joined last week and will be playing in my first event on Sunday. Weather is not cooperating. Supposed to be raining. Oh well. 

Nice, welcome, and good luck. Where are you playing?

2 minutes ago, Shank Aaron said:

I'm in northern Virginia. Playing Old Hickory in Woodbridge, VA. They had an outing today at Laurel Hills in Lorton, VA. Wanted to play but it was filled. Glad it was. Terrible rains today. LOL. 

2 hours ago, milledon said:

Just out of curiously, did this thread have anything to do with joining or had you been looking for a while?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Just out of curiously, did this thread have anything to do with joining or had you been looking for a while?

Yes. The thread convinced me to join. A fellow golfer in my Tuesday league had mentioned it but I wasn’t sure. After reading comments here, I decided to join. Don’t think I would have joined if I hadn’t found this thread. 

Edited by milledon

4 minutes ago, milledon said:

Yes. The thread convinced me to join. A fellow golfer in my Tuesday league had mentioned it but I wasn’t sure. After reading comments here, I decided to join. Don’t think I would have joined if I hadn’t found this thread. 

Love it thanks for the feedback!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

On 4/28/2023 at 3:48 PM, Shank Aaron said:

(Tournament cancelled) I'm in northern Virginia. Playing Old Hickory in Woodbridge, VA. Terrible rains today. LOL.

Edited by milledon
Update

48 minutes ago, milledon said:

(Tournament cancelled) I'm in northern Virginia. Playing Old Hickory in Woodbridge, VA. Terrible rains today. LOL.

I actually ended up not going. Had my moms 60th birthday party last night and with the wind and rain today would have been a not so enjoyable round I think 😂

Check out my reviews:

WITB: