Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

In For Review! - Adams Idea Black CB3 Irons

• SPY VIP

Idea Black CB3 Irons

cb3-4.jpg

These arrived for testing early last week. I took a quick peak in the box and assumed that these were slotted between the MB2s and Idea Pro A12s in the Adams lineup. It turns out I was wrong. They actually fit in on the game-improvement side of the Pro a12s, however; the guys at Adams tell me they definitely don't want to pigeonhole the CB3s as a Game-Improvement iron. At a cursory glance, I can see why.

One of the things I noticed while taking the photos is the progressive cavity design. The longer irons have less mass in the cavity itself, and more around the perimeter, while the short irons pack more muscle behind the sweet spot. If you look at the photos of the 4-iron and pitching wedge, the relative positioning of the badge should give you a better idea what I'm talking about.

Lots of pics here as the finish makes it relatively easy to get decent pics (unlike the Mizuno MP-69s which give me a headache just thinking about)

Adams says:

BETTER LOOKS. BETTER FEEL. BETTER PLAYABILITY.

The Idea Black CB3 Irons are engineered to provide the playability most players need with the look and feel they desire. This set of game-improvement irons features heel/toe perimeter weighting and a lower CG to provide more forgiveness while being forged from 8620 carbon steel to provide an excellent feel.

• Forged 8620 carbon steel - triple milled (cavity, face and grooves).
  • Larger, deeper cavity with a multi-layer badge that provides for a thinner face, lower cg, perimeter weighting, added forgiveness and better feel.
  • Black Ni/Cr PVD finish with a glass beaded face to produce an exceptional look at address.
  • Engineered with progressive sole widths that allow for easier to hit long irons and deadly accurate scoring clubs.
  • Scoring clubs designed with improved bounce and camber to reduce turf interaction for more workability and control.

cb3-1.jpg

cb3-2.jpg

cb3-3.jpg

cb3-5.jpg

cb3-6.jpg

cb3-7.jpg

cb3-8.jpg

cb3-9.jpg

cb3-10.jpg

cb3-11.jpg

cb3-12.jpg

cb3-13.jpg

cb3-14.jpg

cb3-15.jpg

cb3-16.jpg

cb3-17.jpg

cb3-18.jpg

cb3-19.jpg

cb3-20.jpg

cb3-21.jpg

cb3-22.jpg

cb3-23.jpg

cb3-24.jpg

cb3-25.jpg

cb3-26.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

They are really good looking irons, I had them sort of slotted more along the lines of this --> CB1, a12, CB2, CB3 in terms of players first to GI type of clubs last, I could be wrong on that slotting in their line up over history. The MB and MB2 are completely different and are blades hard to compare them to CBs.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some beautiful clubs. Really looking forward to the review.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I love the finish on these clubs. I wonder if they play as well as they look.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

• SPY VIP

Review??

4 of 6 testers have hit them so far. Hopefully we can get everyone squared away and get the review published next week.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived