TESTERS WANTED! ×

Adjustability

Funkyfedora

Is adjustability really all that great for an average golfer? When the iMix was introduced, I was a little skeptical but I liked the idea as far as finding the right shaft. It was taking the fitting process and placing it into the players hands. But when the OEMs started the changeable hosel, I thought it was a horrible Idea. I helped an old rich guy with his R9 on the range. He used to be a scratch golfer but has had a few surgeries. I played a few tricks. I made it to a fade bias and told him it was a draw bias. What did he hit? A draw. I did the opposite with the similar result. He hit a fade when it was set up for a draw.

So, is the movable weight technology and the hosels and the shafts just a placebo for our game? I think so. I think the adjustability is hurting todays weekend warriors. They don't need all of this technology at their fingertips. Paralysis by analysis. They are over thinking golf and their brain is making golf harder than what it is supposed to be.

-Willie

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

I think that as a fitting tool for amateurs is is great. Customize and leave it. Good players can tell the difference I believe. I am not a good player so I don't know for sure.

I do know that it is still possible to slice a draw driver or a driver set to draw. That skill I do have. ;)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I think it should be sent to proshops for a fitting tool and then have them order that combo... I know I wouldn't change my driver for different courses...

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

I think it should be sent to proshops for a fitting tool and then have them order that combo... I know I wouldn't change my driver for different courses...

But that is the beauty of the free market Willie, some people want that adjustability and they can buy it. A clubmaker who can meet a want sells clubs. I did not say need on purpose. It is a new hot thing, like the square heads. Maybe it too will fade in he future.

Volvo Intorqueo

I understand the supply and demand on the issue. But my opinion is that it is a bad idea overall.

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

• SPY VIP

I understand the supply and demand on the issue. But my opinion is that it is a bad idea overall.

I think that it meets a need in the market and that is not bad. I specifically think of the Nike ads with the colored flight lines. Slight adjustments to match trends in course design is the intended use. No club can ever fix a swing and someone who expects it to will be disappointed. Maybe the adjustment is largely psychological, but that is part of the game too.

Volvo Intorqueo

That would be me, and the first draw driver I bought. My friends would always laugh as I sliced it and say "John, I don't know how you do it, but you defeated the technology!"

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Better to have the easy-to-use adjustability factor and do it yourself than to spend the bucks on a club builder who may break something ... and then you're out those bucks (depending on the club builder's payment/return policies) plus whatever you paid for the club.

Is adjustability really all that great for an average golfer? When the iMix was introduced, I was a little skeptical but I liked the idea as far as finding the right shaft. It was taking the fitting process and placing it into the players hands. But when the OEMs started the changeable hosel, I thought it was a horrible Idea. I helped an old rich guy with his R9 on the range. He used to be a scratch golfer but has had a few surgeries. I played a few tricks. I made it to a fade bias and told him it was a draw bias. What did he hit? A draw. I did the opposite with the similar result. He hit a fade when it was set up for a draw.

So, is the movable weight technology and the hosels and the shafts just a placebo for our game? I think so. I think the adjustability is hurting todays weekend warriors. They don't need all of this technology at their fingertips. Paralysis by analysis. They are over thinking golf and their brain is making golf harder than what it is supposed to be.

-Willie

Excellent post, Willie. We had a TM demo day at our club last year and I bought the R9 TP driver. After monkeying around with the weights and open and closed settings guess where I wound up? Pure neutral. The only benefit is the ability to change shafts easily and i'm not so sure this is a benefit. I went from one expensive shaft to another with no appreciable benefits. I've got six bills into this driver so I'll be using it for a long, long, time. ;)

I don't know what your experience has been with this club (R9TP) but it is a good 20 yards shorter than my Stulz with the tri-edge shaft and everybody i know says the same thing. A local golf superstore sold a bunch of them when they first came out and 90% were returned for something else.

Semper Fi

My Club

Having an adjustable club that allows you to determine what or how the weight/bias should be set is a good thing. I would think club fitters could use an adjustable club as a fitting tool. Most if not all players will not adjust anything of the club once they have determine optimal settings. I'm trying to get to the point with my game where I have a consistent miss so I can play the percentages.

I think most people are trying to buy these adjustable clubs to fix swings. And I have read that the shafts are like crack. Always wanting to get more to try and find a combo... I think people should just get fit and go out and practice. And if you don't want to practice than buy a cheap driver and just use it...

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

• SPY VIP

I think most people are trying to buy these adjustable clubs to fix swings. And I have read that the shafts are like crack. Always wanting to get more to try and find a combo... I think people should just get fit and go out and practice. And if you don't want to practice than buy a cheap driver and just use it...

This would be silly. you may be able to modify ball flight, but nothing is fixed. I would spend large money to swing like crap and hit great shots.

I like the iMix idea, just because I like new toys. I love the fubuki shaft I have and now i can just buy the FT9 head to have a whole new toy.

Volvo Intorqueo

That's the drawback, people are using the clubs to fix their swing for them. If it were me I would get a neutral driver and make sure I could hit it straight, but for the weekend/ 5 times a year player, it could help them.

• SPY VIP

That's the drawback, people are using the clubs to fix their swing for them. If it were me I would get a neutral driver and make sure I could hit it straight, but for the weekend/ 5 times a year player, it could help them.

But what if you spend the big money and after the return period is over, you realize that you prefer the face slightly open for workability?

Volvo Intorqueo

But what if you spend the big money and after the return period is over, you realize that you prefer the face slightly open for workability?

Do you mean for me or for the weekend/ 5 times a year hacker?

If it were me I would have researched it enough to prevent that but if I did make that mistake I would either live with it or sell it at a loss.

• SPY VIP

Do you mean for me or for the weekend/ 5 times a year hacker?

If it were me I would have researched it enough to prevent that but if I did make that mistake I would either live with it or sell it at a loss.

I was thinking more of your consistent swing. It just made me think that the adjustability would be a bit like an airbag for many. Nice to know it is there, but you may never need to use it.

Volvo Intorqueo

Personally, I love adjustability in all clubs. I've had MWT in my R7 and I now have FCT in my R9. I like the fact that I can adjust the club to fit what I want and not be concerned about combing the racks for a driver that is actually square/open/closed. I also like it because it makes tinkering with shafts that much easier. I think the idea of using it to "buy a swing" is silly, but at the same time, isn't that what fitting is, do a degree? I think with the driver, a good fitter should recommend that a player use and open/closed/square club face.

I also don't believe for a second that adjustability is a placebo. Yes, you can hit a fade with a "draw" club and vice versa, but you can't tell me that a closed club face/a heel weighted club doesn't promote a right to left ball flight (for righties).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Personally, I love adjustability in all clubs. I've had MWT in my R7 and I now have FCT in my R9. I like the fact that I can adjust the club to fit what I want and not be concerned about combing the racks for a driver that is actually square/open/closed. I also like it because it makes tinkering with shafts that much easier. I think the idea of using it to "buy a swing" is silly, but at the same time, isn't that what fitting is, do a degree? I think with the driver, a good fitter should recommend that a player use and open/closed/square club face.

I also don't believe for a second that adjustability is a placebo. Yes, you can hit a fade with a "draw" club and vice versa, but you can't tell me that a closed club face/a heel weighted club doesn't promote a right to left ball flight (for righties).

Very good point. I've never owned an adjustable driver. I'm fussy with my driver, brand not much, it has to sound a certain way, and had a certain shape. Now of the adjustable have done it for me yet. Apart from the SQuad, but I never bought one.

I just have never really seen the point. I-Mix maybe, it doesn't really adjust the club. If you can't change the loft of the head, the shaft is only going to do so much. I'm yet to play with someone, that turns up on the first tee, and says " I think i need my driver 1 degree flat today" Fitting tool yes, everyday use. Not that I can see

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Very good point. I've never owned an adjustable driver. I'm fussy with my driver, brand not much, it has to sound a certain way, and had a certain shape. Now of the adjustable have done it for me yet. Apart from the SQuad, but I never bought one.

I just have never really seen the point. I-Mix maybe, it doesn't really adjust the club. If you can't change the loft of the head, the shaft is only going to do so much. I'm yet to play with someone, that turns up on the first tee, and says " I think i need my driver 1 degree flat today" Fitting tool yes, everyday use. Not that I can see

I completely agree. I personally have never stepped on the tee thinking... I need my driver to hit a draw instead of me...

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

This is my take...

The changeable face angle is a remarkable fitting tool. It is a terrible sales gimmick. Personally, I NEVER want to worry if my driver is "set up" correctly. I want to pull the club, and hit it with confidence, every time.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Are you playing glued Nic? I don't remember. Do you think that someone who is fit with the adjustments set for the swing and then leaves them alone has gained something from the adjustability?

Volvo Intorqueo

This is my take...

The changeable face angle is a remarkable fitting tool. It is a terrible sales gimmick. Personally, I NEVER want to worry if my driver is "set up" correctly. I want to pull the club, and hit it with confidence, every time.

I agree that you don't want to worry about your driver being set up correctly, which is why I have found the setting I like and I don't mess with it anymore. The point I was making earlier was that within the same model you might have clubs that are 1* open, square, 1* closed, it just depends which one you pull off the rack. With the FCT, I know that it doesn't matter which one I bought, I can adjust it the way I like it and not think about it anymore.

Are you playing glued Nic? I don't remember. Do you think that someone who is fit with the adjustments set for the swing and then leaves them alone has gained something from the adjustability?

I think there is still value in the adjustability. What if the player makes a swing change, loses/gains a lot of weight, gets stronger, or takes a year away from the game? These are all things that might change their swing and their needs substantially. With adjustability, they can keep the same club they have and just tweak it to meet their new needs.

• SPY VIP

I think there is still value in the adjustability. What if the player makes a swing change, loses/gains a lot of weight, gets stronger, or takes a year away from the game? These are all things that might change their swing and their needs substantially. With adjustability, they can keep the same club they have and just tweak it to meet their new needs.

How do you answer someone who says that they just need a lesson?

Volvo Intorqueo

How do you answer someone who says that they just need a lesson?

I don't believe in fitting a person to their equipment. There's no reason for me to learn to swing an open faced driver when I could just get a closed faced driver (or vice versa). To me, saying that everyone should play with an ____ faced driver is akin to saying that everyone should play with blades, and if they can't they should take a lesson.

Also, I don't think the "take a lesson" argument applies to the point I made earlier that adjustability can add life to a club (i.e. the same club can work even after a swing change).

• SPY VIP

I don't believe in fitting a person to their equipment. There's no reason for me to learn to swing an open faced driver when I could just get a closed faced driver (or vice versa). To me, saying that everyone should play with an ____ faced driver is akin to saying that everyone should play with blades, and if they can't they should take a lesson.

Also, I don't think the "take a lesson" argument applies to the point I made earlier that adjustability can add life to a club (i.e. the same club can work even after a swing change).

This has nothing to do with your anti-lessons bias? :D

So set it correctly, if you need the change, it is there for you without a $400 price tag.

Volvo Intorqueo

This has nothing to do with your anti-lessons bias? :D

So set it correctly, if you need the change, it is there for you without a $400 price tag.

I hope I never said that I'm anti-lessons, because I'm certainly not. I do remember ranting about being anti-video, but I'm not anti-lessons. I took 6 lessons when I first started playing that gave me the fundamentals that I still use today. Without them I would be lost. All thanks to Brent Bowen at the Washington Duke Golf Club.

The second part you hit right on the head.

• SPY VIP

I hope I never said that I'm anti-lessons, because I'm certainly not. I do remember ranting about being anti-video, but I'm not anti-lessons. I took 6 lessons when I first started playing that gave me the fundamentals that I still use today. Without them I would be lost. All thanks to Brent Bowen at the Washington Duke Golf Club.

The second part you hit right on the head.

Maybe it was video lessons... :)

Volvo Intorqueo

My club is glued..I do like the idea of being able to fit a customer with different shafts, and other face angles, but I am a big believer in finding the magic driver and sticking with it. It took me 15 years of searching to find this one. I have been gaming my current club for 2.5 years... A total record for me. By a lot. If I had an R7 or Dymo, I would be fiddling with it all the time when ever I had a bad driving round. If I have a bad day now, I KNOW it's me, and not the club... I Need That.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived