TESTERS WANTED! ×

Adjustability

Funkyfedora

This is my take...

The changeable face angle is a remarkable fitting tool. It is a terrible sales gimmick. Personally, I NEVER want to worry if my driver is "set up" correctly. I want to pull the club, and hit it with confidence, every time.

How would adjustability change this. Yo set it to what you want and then leave it be.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

Another great question...

I gamed the TM SuperQuad for a couple of years before switching to my current driver. I loved the idea of the moveable weights, but after tinkering for a couple of rounds I pretty much took the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie approach (Set it...and forget it). My guess is that that's what most everyone else has done as well. I do like the idea (in principle, if not in practice), that I can make an adjustment to try and mitigate whatever nasty swing flaw I happen to bring to the course on a particular day.

The SuperQuad pre-dates the dawn of interchangeable/adjustable shafts. Cobra, Nike, TaylorMade, Mizuno, and to a lesser extent Callaway, all have some sort of adjustable driver on the market now - and we're curious to see if all that adjustability really makes a difference. To that end, we're working on a review of sorts that deals with not only the distance & accuracy stuff, but also how much of a difference all that adjustability really makes. Stay tuned, I think this one will be very interesting.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

This is my take...

The changeable face angle is a remarkable fitting tool. It is a terrible sales gimmick. Personally, I NEVER want to worry if my driver is "set up" correctly. I want to pull the club, and hit it with confidence, every time.

I think you are right about it being a great fitting tool but I disagree about it being a terrible sales gimmick. I think it is a stroke of genius from a sales standpoint. I think they hit a plateau technology wise and AWT, iMix, and the like really generated a ton of buzz among consumers.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I think it should be sent to proshops for a fitting tool and then have them order that combo... I know I wouldn't change my driver for different courses...

I wouldn't either but I had a blast trying the different combos on the range with my Str8-Fit until I found the settings I liked. Why should fitters have all the fun?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I think that it meets a need in the market and that is not bad. I specifically think of the Nike ads with the colored flight lines. Slight adjustments to match trends in course design is the intended use. No club can ever fix a swing and someone who expects it to will be disappointed. Maybe the adjustment is largely psychological, but that is part of the game too.

One of my favorite commercials of all time. One of the few that have ever compelled me to buy a club. Hmmm... sounds like a topic for a post.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Another great question...

I gamed the TM SuperQuad for a couple of years before switching to my current driver. I loved the idea of the moveable weights, but after tinkering for a couple of rounds I pretty much took the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie approach (Set it...and forget it). My guess is that that's what most everyone else has done as well. I do like the idea (in principle, if not in practice), that I can make an adjustment to try and mitigate whatever nasty swing flaw I happen to bring to the course on a particular day.

The SuperQuad pre-dates the dawn of interchangeable/adjustable shafts. Cobra, Nike, TaylorMade, Mizuno, and to a lesser extent Callaway, all have some sort of adjustable driver on the market now - and we're curious to see if all that adjustability really makes a difference. To that end, we're working on a review of sorts that deals with not only the distance & accuracy stuff, but also how much of a difference all that adjustability really makes. Stay tuned, I think this one will be very interesting.

I have the Superquad and do the same thing. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Supertri, where I will still likely never touch the weights.

One of my favorite commercials of all time. One of the few that have ever compelled me to buy a club. Hmmm... sounds like a topic for a post.

I think for me, it's more of a gimmick, but it doesn't mean if I like the driver, and it's adjustable, I wouldn't buy it. Actually, if I found two priced the same, I would of course buy the adjustable one.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I think for me, it's more of a gimmick, but it doesn't mean if I like the driver, and it's adjustable, I wouldn't buy it. Actually, if I found two priced the same, I would of course buy the adjustable one.

So we all sort of agree on this? It is like power windows in a car. Nice to have but non-essential in most situations.

(Love the Ron Popeil quote, have busted out a "set it and forget it" myself on occasion.)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

So we all sort of agree on this? It is like power windows in a car. Nice to have but non-essential in most situations.

(Love the Ron Popeil quote, have busted out a "set it and forget it" myself on occasion.)

I won't go so far as to call it a gimmick...assuming it actually works. I'll save those sort or judgements until we've tested the latest crop of adjustables. What I will say with almost completely certainty is that golfers who buy these systems do so with the intent of making use of the adjustability much more often than they actually do.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Have we all agreed on anything (other than you post a lot and Jamo agrees with everything you and I say)?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I won't go so far as to call it a gimmick...assuming it actually works. I'll save those sort or judgements until we've tested the latest crop of adjustables. What I will say with almost completely certainty is that golfers who buy these systems do so with the intent of making use of the adjustability much more often than they actually do.

Yeah, you can't call it a gimmick. It does impact ball flight. Maybe its overhyped and oversold and because the vast majority of golfers change it once and forget about it?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Do you see that there is still rome for improvement in this area? How can they be more adjustable? Maybe telescoping shaft to adjust distance with wedges? AccuSlideâ„¢ Wedge System

Have we all agreed on anything (other than you post a lot and Jamo agrees with everything you and I say)?

Now you are just getting snippy.

Volvo Intorqueo

Now you are just getting snippy.

Snippy? Moh? :)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Do you see that there is still rome for improvement in this area? How can they be more adjustable? Maybe telescoping shaft to adjust distance with wedges? AccuSlideâ„¢ Wedge System

Honestly, I don't know how much more adjustment is realistic. I like Callaway's I-MIX because of the simplicity (and the fact that swapping shafts likely makes a bigger difference than tweaking angles). I also like Cobra's system because of the relative simplicity (just a handful of settings). Nike and TaylorMade have gone all out, and I suppose it's nice to have that sort of flexibility, but 32+ configurations...I wonder if we're not steamrolling towards overkill.

That would be me, and the first draw driver I bought. My friends would always laugh as I sliced it and say "John, I don't know how you do it, but you defeated the technology!"

cheesyf.gif

JB - I think I once owned that same driver - Cobra w/offset hosel, 1°closed. It still wanted to find the right side of the fairway.

Great quote -

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Honestly, I don't know how much more adjustment is realistic. I like Callaway's I-MIX because of the simplicity (and the fact that swapping shafts likely makes a bigger difference than tweaking angles). I also like Cobra's system because of the relative simplicity (just a handful of settings). Nike and TaylorMade have gone all out, and I suppose it's nice to have that sort of flexibility, but 32+ configurations...I wonder if we're not steamrolling towards overkill.

32 configurations does seem a bit much - is that the Nike system? I know my R9 only has 8 (I think). The one thing I would like to see, but likely won't, is greater access to the R9 tips so that I can put them on my own shafts. I know they are available through various means online, but I would like to be able to buy them straight from TM.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

It is super tough to buy any parts from any companies directly. This includes ferrules, grips, ect. I suspect that the Tip adapter is no different.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

32 configurations does seem a bit much - is that the Nike system? I know my R9 only has 8 (I think). The one thing I would like to see, but likely won't, is greater access to the R9 tips so that I can put them on my own shafts. I know they are available through various means online, but I would like to be able to buy them straight from TM.

Does the 8 settings on the R9 include the weights?

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

It is super tough to buy any parts from any companies directly. This includes ferrules, grips, ect. I suspect that the Tip adapter is no different.

Exactly. With the exception of replacement grips it's next to impossible to get any spare parts. The downside is a decent sized black market where OEM adapters sell for as much as $80 (although I think there are enough I-MIX adapters out there that the prices are starting to drop a bit.

I'm sure the manufacturers would cite warranty issues as the reason why they can't, as much as they'd love to, sell adapters directly to the consumer. Of course, we all under$tand what the real i$$ue$ i$.

• SPY VIP

Exactly. With the exception of replacement grips it's next to impossible to get any spare parts. The downside is a decent sized black market where OEM adapters sell for as much as $80 (although I think there are enough I-MIX adapters out there that the prices are starting to drop a bit.

I'm sure the manufacturers would cite warranty issues as the reason why they can't, as much as they'd love to, sell adapters directly to the consumer. Of course, we all under$tand what the real i$$ue$ i$.

Like a $19 Aldila DV/DVS pink shaft from their ebay shop? I would have one for the iMix if the adapter was available for $20 or so like it should be.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

The specs on the R9 say 24 different configurations, but yes, that includes weights. The Nike STR8-fit is remarkable in that it offers 32 different settings, all of them accomplished by rotating the shaft.

I have the R9 460, so I just have the FCT, no MWT. I think it's 8 settings with the shaft alone.

I'm sure the manufacturers would cite warranty issues as the reason why they can't, as much as they'd love to, sell adapters directly to the consumer. Of course, we all under$tand what the real i$ue$ i$.

Yeah, I assumed that warranty would be the cited reason, they can't be responsible for clubs built by someone else. It doesn't make it any less frustrating when you see this great technology out there and it is essentially unusable (except, of course, if you consider the used/"black" market).

The specs on the R9 say 24 different configurations, but yes, that includes weights. The Nike STR8-fit is remarkable in that it offers 32 different settings, all of them accomplished by rotating the shaft.

Have you tried to adjust one of these Nikes??? it is so hard to find the exact setting that you are looking for. 32 is 31 to many in my book. at least 24 to many...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

Have you tried to adjust one of these Nikes??? it is so hard to find the exact setting that you are looking for. 32 is 31 to many in my book. at least 24 to many...

Is the head/shaft not labeled? I have only goofed around with the settings on the R9. Is the manual too big to stash in the bag for the covert mid round adjustment when the wind changes? :(

Volvo Intorqueo

I want to go to GG and pull a Nike apart just to see how they got 32 settings onto the shaft tip. It does seem like it would make finding the right setting a very touchy affair.

I just don't think I need to read a users manual to use my driver...

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I just don't think I need to read a users manual to use my driver...

I'm a MAN... I don't READ manuals.....

Seriously though. The Nike head has the 8 labels, and it is up to you to find the middle settings. not very easy IMO.

Seriously though. The Nike head has the 8 labels, and it is up to you to find the middle settings. not very easy IMO.

That's dumb. So there are a couple of settings and if you can hit the middle ones, good for you? Weird.

• SPY VIP

This seems kind of odd for nike. Usually their designs sort of hinge on simplicity of execution. I guess something with that many settings can't be all too simple.

Glued 5000 was still fine on the course today, and probably will be next year too...

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived