Our Sponsors

I think it should be sent to proshops for a fitting tool and then have them order that combo... I know I wouldn't change my driver for different courses...

This is my take...

The changeable face angle is a remarkable fitting tool. It is a terrible sales gimmick. Personally, I NEVER want to worry if my driver is "set up" correctly. I want to pull the club, and hit it with confidence, every time.

Driver -   Ping G400 9° Project X HRZDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65 S
Fairway -  Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Fairway - Tour Edge Exotics CB2 18° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

3 Iron - :srixon-small: Z585  TTDG TI S400 1° flat

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG TI S400 5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have we all agreed on anything (other than you post a lot and Jamo agrees with everything you and I say)?

• SPY VIP

Are you playing glued Nic? I don't remember. Do you think that someone who is fit with the adjustments set for the swing and then leaves them alone has gained something from the adjustability?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

This is my take...

The changeable face angle is a remarkable fitting tool. It is a terrible sales gimmick. Personally, I NEVER want to worry if my driver is "set up" correctly. I want to pull the club, and hit it with confidence, every time.

I agree that you don't want to worry about your driver being set up correctly, which is why I have found the setting I like and I don't mess with it anymore. The point I was making earlier was that within the same model you might have clubs that are 1* open, square, 1* closed, it just depends which one you pull off the rack. With the FCT, I know that it doesn't matter which one I bought, I can adjust it the way I like it and not think about it anymore.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Are you playing glued Nic? I don't remember. Do you think that someone who is fit with the adjustments set for the swing and then leaves them alone has gained something from the adjustability?

I think there is still value in the adjustability. What if the player makes a swing change, loses/gains a lot of weight, gets stronger, or takes a year away from the game? These are all things that might change their swing and their needs substantially. With adjustability, they can keep the same club they have and just tweak it to meet their new needs.

• SPY VIP

I think there is still value in the adjustability. What if the player makes a swing change, loses/gains a lot of weight, gets stronger, or takes a year away from the game? These are all things that might change their swing and their needs substantially. With adjustability, they can keep the same club they have and just tweak it to meet their new needs.

How do you answer someone who says that they just need a lesson?

Volvo Intorqueo

How do you answer someone who says that they just need a lesson?

I don't believe in fitting a person to their equipment. There's no reason for me to learn to swing an open faced driver when I could just get a closed faced driver (or vice versa). To me, saying that everyone should play with an ____ faced driver is akin to saying that everyone should play with blades, and if they can't they should take a lesson.

Also, I don't think the "take a lesson" argument applies to the point I made earlier that adjustability can add life to a club (i.e. the same club can work even after a swing change).

• SPY VIP

I don't believe in fitting a person to their equipment. There's no reason for me to learn to swing an open faced driver when I could just get a closed faced driver (or vice versa). To me, saying that everyone should play with an ____ faced driver is akin to saying that everyone should play with blades, and if they can't they should take a lesson.

Also, I don't think the "take a lesson" argument applies to the point I made earlier that adjustability can add life to a club (i.e. the same club can work even after a swing change).

This has nothing to do with your anti-lessons bias? :D

So set it correctly, if you need the change, it is there for you without a $400 price tag.

Volvo Intorqueo

This has nothing to do with your anti-lessons bias? :D

So set it correctly, if you need the change, it is there for you without a $400 price tag.

I hope I never said that I'm anti-lessons, because I'm certainly not. I do remember ranting about being anti-video, but I'm not anti-lessons. I took 6 lessons when I first started playing that gave me the fundamentals that I still use today. Without them I would be lost. All thanks to Brent Bowen at the Washington Duke Golf Club.

The second part you hit right on the head.

• SPY VIP

I hope I never said that I'm anti-lessons, because I'm certainly not. I do remember ranting about being anti-video, but I'm not anti-lessons. I took 6 lessons when I first started playing that gave me the fundamentals that I still use today. Without them I would be lost. All thanks to Brent Bowen at the Washington Duke Golf Club.

The second part you hit right on the head.

Maybe it was video lessons... :)

Volvo Intorqueo

My club is glued..I do like the idea of being able to fit a customer with different shafts, and other face angles, but I am a big believer in finding the magic driver and sticking with it. It took me 15 years of searching to find this one. I have been gaming my current club for 2.5 years... A total record for me. By a lot. If I had an R7 or Dymo, I would be fiddling with it all the time when ever I had a bad driving round. If I have a bad day now, I KNOW it's me, and not the club... I Need That.

Driver -   Ping G400 9° Project X HRZDUS Yellow Handcrafted 65 S
Fairway -  Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

Fairway - Tour Edge Exotics CB2 18° Grafalloy Prolite 35  S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

3 Iron - :srixon-small: Z585  TTDG TI S400 1° flat

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG TI S400 5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

This is my take...

How would adjustability change this. Yo set it to what you want and then leave it be.

• SPY VIP

Another great question...

I gamed the TM SuperQuad for a couple of years before switching to my current driver. I loved the idea of the moveable weights, but after tinkering for a couple of rounds I pretty much took the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie approach (Set it...and forget it). My guess is that that's what most everyone else has done as well. I do like the idea (in principle, if not in practice), that I can make an adjustment to try and mitigate whatever nasty swing flaw I happen to bring to the course on a particular day.

The SuperQuad pre-dates the dawn of interchangeable/adjustable shafts. Cobra, Nike, TaylorMade, Mizuno, and to a lesser extent Callaway, all have some sort of adjustable driver on the market now - and we're curious to see if all that adjustability really makes a difference. To that end, we're working on a review of sorts that deals with not only the distance & accuracy stuff, but also how much of a difference all that adjustability really makes. Stay tuned, I think this one will be very interesting.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

This is my take...

I think you are right about it being a great fitting tool but I disagree about it being a terrible sales gimmick. I think it is a stroke of genius from a sales standpoint. I think they hit a plateau technology wise and AWT, iMix, and the like really generated a ton of buzz among consumers.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I think it should be sent to proshops for a fitting tool and then have them order that combo... I know I wouldn't change my driver for different courses...

I wouldn't either but I had a blast trying the different combos on the range with my Str8-Fit until I found the settings I liked. Why should fitters have all the fun?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I think that it meets a need in the market and that is not bad. I specifically think of the Nike ads with the colored flight lines. Slight adjustments to match trends in course design is the intended use. No club can ever fix a swing and someone who expects it to will be disappointed. Maybe the adjustment is largely psychological, but that is part of the game too.

One of my favorite commercials of all time. One of the few that have ever compelled me to buy a club. Hmmm... sounds like a topic for a post.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Another great question...

I gamed the TM SuperQuad for a couple of years before switching to my current driver. I loved the idea of the moveable weights, but after tinkering for a couple of rounds I pretty much took the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie approach (Set it...and forget it). My guess is that that's what most everyone else has done as well. I do like the idea (in principle, if not in practice), that I can make an adjustment to try and mitigate whatever nasty swing flaw I happen to bring to the course on a particular day.

The SuperQuad pre-dates the dawn of interchangeable/adjustable shafts. Cobra, Nike, TaylorMade, Mizuno, and to a lesser extent Callaway, all have some sort of adjustable driver on the market now - and we're curious to see if all that adjustability really makes a difference. To that end, we're working on a review of sorts that deals with not only the distance & accuracy stuff, but also how much of a difference all that adjustability really makes. Stay tuned, I think this one will be very interesting.

I have the Superquad and do the same thing. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Supertri, where I will still likely never touch the weights.

One of my favorite commercials of all time. One of the few that have ever compelled me to buy a club. Hmmm... sounds like a topic for a post.

I think for me, it's more of a gimmick, but it doesn't mean if I like the driver, and it's adjustable, I wouldn't buy it. Actually, if I found two priced the same, I would of course buy the adjustable one.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

• SPY VIP

I think for me, it's more of a gimmick, but it doesn't mean if I like the driver, and it's adjustable, I wouldn't buy it. Actually, if I found two priced the same, I would of course buy the adjustable one.

So we all sort of agree on this? It is like power windows in a car. Nice to have but non-essential in most situations.

(Love the Ron Popeil quote, have busted out a "set it and forget it" myself on occasion.)

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

So we all sort of agree on this? It is like power windows in a car. Nice to have but non-essential in most situations.

(Love the Ron Popeil quote, have busted out a "set it and forget it" myself on occasion.)

I won't go so far as to call it a gimmick...assuming it actually works. I'll save those sort or judgements until we've tested the latest crop of adjustables. What I will say with almost completely certainty is that golfers who buy these systems do so with the intent of making use of the adjustability much more often than they actually do.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Have we all agreed on anything (other than you post a lot and Jamo agrees with everything you and I say)?

• Like 1

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT