TESTERS WANTED! ×

Your favorite 3-wood substitute

Moecat

I play the 909H 's and a 909F 15.5. I broke a shaft in my 21 909H on Monday while playing a 3 club match. As you can imagine, that does not leave lots of options but borrowed a Rescue 21 R11 with a stock shaft. This was a very solid club. Repaired my Titleist and am happy with it but was very impressed with the TM. i am not a TM fan but would look hard at them if I was in the market.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

What are you looking for exactly? Do you want distance and accuracy or do you want to fill a gap? The more research I do on Wishon clubs, the more I think they're probably the best fitting clubs on the market.

Something easy to hit off the deck that would probably have to be shorter than 42 inches.

i find it hard to replace my G15, very easy to hit off the deck, short rough tight lies sometimes

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I hit my 3 wood 185-200 yds and my 3 Hybrid about the same distance. I replaced the 3 Hybrid with a Nickent 3DX DC #2 Hybrid (17*). I found that this 195-205 yd club can be useful on a windy day when i don't want to put my 3 wood high in the air. The #2 hybrid has also come in handy when I find myself having to keep it low under the trees. I was not using my #3 hybrid much...and, in fact, had not used it in 4 weeks when I decided to pull it from my bag. I look at the #2 hybrid as a multi-purpose club......I can go low but can also go long.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Actually, when conditions firm up a little my 3 wood will be replaced with a 60 degree wedge. I am actually hitting the 3 wood from the fairway really well right now but honestly I am not hitting many greens from 230 to 250. Often just the thought of having to hit the ball that far causes me to overswing and then I have a third shot of 175 yards. It is far better to lay up to a favorite target with a hybrid than to overswing with a 3 wood. I should probably make this change now. There is a possiblility that I will use the 60 on every hole while I will only use the 3 wood maybe 2 times.

I did not say this before because I did not know how the new driver would work. I can replace my driver with an additional wedge because I can hit my driver off of the deck. My old FT9 was very good at off of the deck. The Titleist 909D3 was ok no better or no worse than a 3 wood. Last night I got the Razr Fit but it was dark and I had already play 30+ holes. So today I hit the Razr. Ball flight was lower than the FT9 but OMG it was straight. On the first par 5 I did not hit a good drive. (not the clubs fault.) I was 240 from the flag, I decided what the heck driver off the deck. It went dead at the flag about 6 feet off the deck. Bounced 60 or 70 yards out, then started rolling and rolled on the green and stopped about a foot from the hole. Naturally I had to hit it the next opportunity. It also went low and straight and hit and ran up the hill to the edge of the green. Eagle putt did not fall in, Since I birdied the par 3 between these par 5s I almost went Eagle, birdie, eagle. But I am more than happy with eagle, birdie,birdie. Sure makes up for bogey bogey start,

I guess I probably can't say i have a favorite replacement for a 3 wood I just have a set up that works well for me and fits play from the tips on majority of the courses and is designed for my length and gaps that I need.

Tour Edge Exotics CB3 4wood 16.5* w/ 85g RT Technologies Zeus (discontinued) Stiff Flex Tipped to an X-Flex (About 260-265 club)

Tour Edge Exotics CB2 19* Hybrid w/ 88g RT Technologies Midas X-Stiff (About 230-235)

Wilson Staff FG62 4-P irons w/ KBS C-Taper X-Stiff (4iron is about 210-215)

I had to laugh one time on hole nine at my club (http://golf.duke.edu/z2hole09.html). My ball set between the fairways with the 4 wood off the gold tee (not listed on website, 479 yards on the card). I had 177 into the pin after a big power draw on the 4 wood. That would be a 302 yard drive with a 4wood if the tee sat where the card is listed.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I have a 2010 TM Burner Hybrids, 22 26 degrees along with my newly added Rocket Ballz 3 Wood. The RBZ 3 Wood replaced my 09 Burner 3 Wood, which I never thought I would ever replace, but man, I am really loving the RBZ! I love my 2 Hybirds, took my 4 and 5 iron out of the bag for them, and now I am thinking I might even go demo the RBZ Hybrids.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Dropped my Adams Fast 10 3W for the Adams Pro a12 16* hybrid. Solid. Long, workable, great off the tee, good off the deck. Great feeling club. 3W continues to gather dust.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

• SPY VIP

I suppose the answer is a lower lofted hybrid. I have an 18 degree now, and a 16.5 is coming. I like having options. But...more in line with reality, it's what wdgolf said...I'm putting an extra wedge in the bag.

As my season gets closer to kicking off in earnest, I've been thinking about options in the bag. Depending on the situation, there will be days when I pull the 3-wood, a hybird (maybe two), and possibly even the driver. If the circumstances are right, I'll put a 5th wedge in the bag. The games not about distance right...scoring is what matters (or so I'm told...certainly wouldn't have any personal experience with that).

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Wilson staff makes a Fybrid which seems to get pretty good reviews. There's also the usual Adams's suspects like the XTD or the A12 Pro

I reviewed it in 2010 and gamed it until recently. Very solid option for a wood replacement and much easier to hit off the deck.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I've played a 16* Adams Peanut Version 1 with Ozik Infra (ya this combo's old LOL) ever since the first time I hit it... Never tempted to hit 3 wood ever again and I think I have 3 other Peanut Version 1 heads laying around for backups. For me this combo has been amazing. Extremely forgiving, stupid long (sometimes too much) and very workable. Much more consistent for me than any fairway wood I've ever played.

I've played a 16* Adams Peanut Version 1 with Ozik Infra (ya this combo's old LOL) ever since the first time I hit it... Never tempted to hit 3 wood ever again and I think I have 3 other Peanut Version 1 heads laying around for backups. For me this combo has been amazing. Extremely forgiving, stupid long (sometimes too much) and very workable. Much more consistent for me than any fairway wood I've ever played.

Sorry little OT, I know someone that has a 17* tour issue Adams Peanut (has a shaft in it hit maybe two time) and a 22* (i think) still in the plastic the 22* is head only tour issue as well. Only time I have actually seen one is when he showed them to me great looking clubs.

I like the Adams Pro a12 hybrid line, lots of people use the RT Technologies Midas in it and blast them hot head for not having any slots in it more of a traditional hybrid head which is what I like.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Actually I have confidence in my old cally steelhead 3 wood I have been carrying it for 10 years or so but when I am confronted with a situatuation when I need some distance but more control I will go to my old Taylor V steel 7 wood or the trusty 3 iron just depends on circumstances In all honesty that is the only 3 wood I have ever been able to hit before I always carried an old H&B (not power bilt) persimmon 4 wood I have not found a 3 wood even the newer Adams Or Rocketballs that I could hit as good as that old cally I dont know why but that is just the way it works for me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived