Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Ping G20 Driver Review

Addicted2Golf

I'll admit it - I'm a driver ho. I've rarely gone through a season with at least one new club and driver is probably the one club in my bag I change the most. I'm currently gaming the Cleveland Launcher DST but over the years, I've tended to favor Ping as my manufacturer of choice having owned for one or more seasons the Ping TISI, TISI Tec, Si3, G2, G5, and G10. So, after the reading the largely positive reviews on the g20, I was intrigued enough to take a demo club out for a spin at my home course.

photobucket-4098-1333601461765.jpg

PROS

The first I noticed about the G20 was the odd aiming aid on the crown. Not a huge fan of the look (I believe MGS said it was Klingon-like) but it is effective. Other than that, nothing else particularly crazy going on at address and that's what I prefer. Taylormade can keep the "Stay Puft Marshmallow on a Stick" look all to themselves.

The demo I played had the stock TFC shaft and I was surprised how firm it felt at the stated flex. That has not been the case in the past with some of the other Ping G-Series drivers where the stock shafts have been a little "whippy" to the point where I've been forced to move up a flex or opt for an alternative shaft because I'm in between flexes.

At impact, the G20 feels solid. I wasn't a fan of the sound (more on that later), but I liked how the ball felt coming off the face at impact. I think feel is a bit overrated in drivers and results matter most. But, I thought Ping did a good job in this area with the G20.

When struck reasonably well, ball flight for me with the 10.5 degree loft was a medium penetrating trajectory with a slight draw and a fair amount of roll. Trajectory wise, that was pretty consistent compared to my current driver and I prefer it given the fact that wind is often an issue here in the Chicago area. Before I purchase the G20, I'd go through a fitting to find the right set of specs but I wouldn't be shocked if the 12 degree resulted in more distance and less spin.

The best thing I liked about the G20 was how straight and forgiving it was. I felt I could really go after it on a long par 5 and not risk hitting the ball out of bounds or in the opposite fairway. My ball flight didn't vary more than 10 yards on either side. And that is somewhat unusual for me. I can be wild off the tee at times.

CONS

Ping has departed in a major way from the sound characteristics of some of their previous models. Quite frankly, having skipped the G15, I was shocked at the aluminum bat sound at impact. If it was a blind test, I would have sworn I was hitting something from Nike or Cobra... definitely not a Ping.

The G20 was also longer compared to the Launcher DST but not drastically so. Distance would not be a defining factor in my decision to purchase this club.

I like the red and black color combination but the sole graphics are a bit much. But that is something I've come to expect from Ping. Fortunately, it isn't visible at address.

FINAL WORD

As you can probably tell, overall, I liked the Ping G20 Driver. I'd love it if it didn't sound like a soup can exploding at impact. B)

Despite that, I'm leaning towards putting it in the bag at some point this season mainly due to it's forgiveness. I play some tight courses here and keeping the ball in the fairway is paramount. And that is something the G20 does very, very well.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I totally agree...to a point. Some of the older Nikes and Cobras...I almost don't care how far and straight they are, they're too damned loud.

Until you have been to a Metallica or Trans Siberian Orchestra concert, you do not really understand the concept of loud. I used to have a Cobra 440SZ and I loved the sound. We know all you sophisticated golfers love your muted drivers, player's irons, six wedge sets and all that other stuff. However, as the unofficial spokesman for the redneck/NASCAR contingent, I say..... embrace your shovels, here are your two wedges and learn to like them, and when you select a driver.....CRANK IT UP!!! :P

Until you have been to a Metallica or Trans Siberian Orchestra concert, you do not really understand the concept of loud. I used to have a Cobra 440SZ and I loved the sound. We know all you sophisticated golfers love your muted drivers, player's irons, six wedge sets and all that other stuff. However, as the unofficial spokesman for the redneck/NASCAR contingent, I say..... embrace your shovels, here are your two wedges and learn to like them, and when you select a driver.....CRANK IT UP!!! :P

Hey Phana, so are you representing the Neckcar loving, Confederate Flag flying, Joe the Plumber, Super Game Improvement wielding segment on the forum now? B)

If so, more power to you my brother. Half my family tree lives south of the Mason Dixon line.

BTW, long time no talk. Hope you and your family are doing well.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• 4 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread, I'll put my quick review of the G20 in here.

Model reviewed: 8.5 degree, TFC TOUR Stiff shaft.

Compared to current: TaylorMade R7 SuperQuad, 9.5 Degree, UST Proforce 60-S

The only blemish on the G20 is the aim marker, but much like the White of the Taylormade and other aiming lines, it's pretty easy to ignore. The club sits pretty on the ground and feels very natural at setup.

My ball flight with my current driver tends to be a high draw with a miss being a bad hook. The immediate fix that the G20 gave me was a lower, straighter ball flight with noticeably less spin. I'm getting much more roll as a result. Also, my ball flight has turned into a slight fade, and I find the club is a lot easier to shape than the R7 while still keeping a much tighter dispersion on the misses.

I've read reviews saying that the G20 is not as long as other current models, and I think that has to do with the feel of the club. This is a much smoother feeling driver than the Taylormade models. However, I'm hitting this driver MUCH longer than any driver I have ever played with my solid shots, and my misses are even traveling 10 yards farther than I am used to.

Overall, I think players of all skill levels would benefit by at least giving the G20 a try. It's longer than you think

Archived