Dechambeau to TaylorMade ?

ballhawk

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

COR isn’t used anymore, it’s CT

Anyone that considers the shaft the engine is wrong. 

Give this a read

https://www.golfwrx.com/6419/tom-wishon-talking-to-wrx-readers-10-myths-about-shafts-factual-info-about-shafts-to-help-you-all/

As for what Bryson is talking about it’s going to be about is head related. It’s stability of the head and gear effect and how to improve it for those with high ball speeds along with spin and launch control. He messed with a head that was turned down to 4.5 to help with that. 

OK, so apparently we're dealing with semantics (CT not COR and Transmission not engine) got it...... So it's stability of the head, isn't that what the fat shaft was supposed to be doing. At least that is what Wilson projected in designing it. 

Total Callaway bag - except putter

26 minutes ago, ballhawk said:

OK, so apparently we're dealing with semantics (CT not COR and Transmission not engine) got it...... So it's stability of the head, isn't that what the fat shaft was supposed to be doing. At least that is what Wilson projected in designing it. 

It’s not semantics. Engine and transmission do two different things. 

CT measures how long balls stays in contact with the clubface where COR measured energy transfer. COR hasn’t been used since 2004.

No shaft will stabilize the head. If you read the first two myths that Wishon busts the shaft isn’t as important as people think it is, it’s role is weight and feel. If the fat shaft actually did that it would have stuck around. Similar to the ventus and now popular it is and how good it is, if it was that great then why would fujikura make any other shaft, and all shaft companies would be building a shaft in the same manner. 

And when you look at how the best in the business fit they start with the head and use shaft to fine tune the fit. The head is most responsible for launch and spin. 

27 minutes ago, John S said:

You are correct, I did assume Bryson signed on with Taylormade.  I could be wrong.  I am using the logic for the PGA tour where virtually every prominent player that swings a club has an endorsement deal to do so.  

It’s becoming less of a guarantee. Many of the Nike pros went without contracts. Granted they were getting their Nike money still but companies like TaylorMade are reducing the number of tour staff they have. Sergio was without a deal for awhile too.

33 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Nailed it. The previous quoted post is based on a lot of incorrect assumptions. One Length has been a good seller for Cobra. Not a huge seller on par with a Callaway or TaylorMade iron line, but good enough for them to continue to roll it out and expand on it. That will continue. Who knows - maybe with Bryson out of the picture they might sell even more.

The one length is probably one of the reasons cobra has been able to hold onto the small percentage of iron market share they have.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s not semantics. Engine and transmission do two different things. 

CT measures how long balls stays in contact with the clubface where COR measured energy transfer. COR hasn’t been used since 2004.

No shaft will stabilize the head. If you read the first two myths that Wishon busts the shaft isn’t as important as people think it is, it’s role is weight and feel. If the fat shaft actually did that it would have stuck around. Similar to the ventus and now popular it is and how good it is, if it was that great then why would fujikura make any other shaft, and all shaft companies would be building a shaft in the same manner. 

And when you look at how the best in the business fit they start with the head and use shaft to fine tune the fit. The head is most responsible for launch and spin. 

Your using an automotive part as an analogy, but I understand your interpretation. As far as shafts go, the manufactures are going after the money, the same as the OEM's, other wise why have constant changes with materiel's being used and charging crazy prices. As far as all shaft companies building a shaft in the same manner, one could speculate that pat rights would have a positioning with that. As far as the fat shaft sticking around, it lasted for a number of years and as to why it went away, the only reason I can think of is that tour players did not embrace it, so the general playing public followed suit. You put a lot of holy grail into Mr Wishon's opinions and that is your prerogative, but I'd like to offer a suggestion. If you can and want to, find a stiff shaft fat shaft club and hit a few balls, it could have an influence on your position.    

Total Callaway bag - except putter

I forgot where I just read this, but a manufacturer recently said: "Bryson is looking for that magic bullet." The club that will hit it long and straight every time, at his clubhead and ball speeds. Well, as long as a human being is swinging it, and not a machine, good luck.

Given his public bad-mouthing of Cobra while they were paying him, I'm not expecting any OEM to jump to the front of the line to sign him up. He may very well go forward without a club sponsor. Maybe TaylorMade thinks they can handle it. Dunno.

Off-topic, but I have met Bryson personally. I spent about two years (NOT full-time!!) working with Bryson's long-time coach Mike Schy. Mike, Bryson, and I all went to the same high school. Not at the same time! 😉 I've been on the lesson tee watching Bryson work. Damn. Dude can send it. And that was before he gained the bulk.

Bryson is most definitely...uuhhh...half a bubble off personality-wise. He can be just as difficult in person as he has been from time to time with the media. Even with that, I wish he had stayed with the PGA Tour. He was, without question, one of the most exciting, different, and unique guys on tour. Fun to watch, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, ballhawk said:

Your using an automotive part as an analogy, but I understand your interpretation. As far as shafts go, the manufactures are going after the money, the same as the OEM's, other wise why have constant changes with materiel's being used and charging crazy prices. As far as all shaft companies building a shaft in the same manner, one could speculate that pat rights would have a positioning with that. As far as the fat shaft sticking around, it lasted for a number of years and as to why it went away, the only reason I can think of is that tour players did not embrace it, so the general playing public followed suit. You put a lot of holy grail into Mr Wishon's opinions and that is your prerogative, but I'd like to offer a suggestion. If you can and want to, find a stiff shaft fat shaft club and hit a few balls, it could have an influence on your position.    

I never used an automotive part as analogy you did and I gave you information that shows that the thinking of the shaft as the engine of then club is incorrect. You then tried to use another automotive part as a descriptor to say they are the samething which also isn’t true.

You are correct manufacturers are going after money that’s what businesses do. Yes they use different materials to obtain different results. It’s why PX as an example has kept the hzrdus line and used different materials to maintain the overall design of the shaft lines while working to achieving a better feel. They also know that different designs for where the need of the shaft or a linear taper will work for some swings and not others so options are good.

I’m actually not a big Wishon fan like some but he is an expert and his info combined with other experts and trusted fitters is how I form my thoughts. I’ve also had the chance to visit with PX and UST to learn in person about shafts, shaft design and what goes into the design to include how they work with club manufacturers to understand where they are going with heads designs so that the shafts pair well but also when an brand wants a made for shaft.

Shafts that had tour use then go away is because there are better options, there are certain shafts that have been around for along time that still have some good tour presence like the AD DI. 

I have hit a wide variety of shafts, most work for my swing and those that don’t are low torque and/or have most of the beef in the middle like the hzrdus black.

Bryson showed up to Mexico with ping !230 irons in the bag. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

2 hours ago, ballhawk said:

https://golf.com/gear/irons/bryson-dechambeau-ping-irons-wall-to-wall/

Interesting read, he has a full set of Pings

Amazing the lengths they went to in order to get him a set that matched his requirements. Also es very interesting that it was total weight he was looking for vs swing weight. 

I love the insights ping provided and look at all that it takes to make a set of irons for Bryson. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 2/15/2023 at 10:21 PM, cnosil said:

here is an article that discusses and references the Tony Covey tweet that said he doesn’t play Cobra ( but sponsorship had ended), LA Golf (playing project X), or Flightscope (uses GC Quad)

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2023/02/09/bryson-dechambeau-visits-ping-further-cobra-puma-sound-off/?taid=63e4f310a72da80001bd99bf&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Brysons general statement about drivers in general was: “ Technology is not up to par with the way golfers can perform at high speeds,” he said. “Anything over 185 mph – good luck trying to control it right now.”

“We’re still on a pursuit to who can make a driver that can work it at 200 anywhere and everywhere on the face and still goes in the fairway. When that day comes, that’s going to be eye-opening for a lot of individuals because they will be optimizing ball speeds at 195, which can fly 360 yards. And that’s going to change the game forever. But we’re not there yet.”

Call me boring, but I don't ever want this to happen; at least not in the pro level.
Isn't part of the skill of golf building a repeatable swing and training yourself to hit the centre of the club face?
For me, it's definitely not waiting for technology to get to a point where you can hit it anywhere in the face and still find the fairway.

Fast forward a few years and imagine we're watching pro's bomb it nearly 400 yards everytime and never miss a fairway. I think that would literally put me to sleep.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Hybrid - :cobra-small: RadSpeed 3 Hyrbid
Irons - :vice: VGI02 5I to SW - 2024 MGS test
Wedges -  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  :L.A.B.: - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 8:14 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Also very interesting that it was total weight he was looking for vs swing weight. 

I love the insights ping provided and look at all that it takes to make a set of irons for Bryson. 

I did something kinda similar to this with my 790's. I built an iron set with 3/8" length difference between irons and used 445 to 450gr as my target weight per iron with Recoil 95 graphite shafts and MCC Plus4 jumbo grips. I had to tweak head weights and adjust lofts a bit to dial in my carry gaps, but it's working pretty well for me. I'm tall with long arms and a bad back, so it helps that I don't have to bend over as much and that has helped with my overall ball striking. For example, my PW is now about the same length as what my 8-iron used to be. I completely ignored swing weight during my build and just went with what felt good. In fact, I couldn't tell you what my swing weights are with these irons. I ended up with a set that feels really consistent throughout and easier on my back towards the end of a round. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9.5* w/Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'Li White 60
:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 15.0* w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 
:taylormade-small: M3 Hybrids 19 & 22* w/OBAN Revenge 85
:taylormade-small: 2019 790's 5-Iron thru PW w/UST Recoil 95
:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE  50/54/58* w/KBS 610 115gr
:odyssey-small:O-Works Red Tank No. 7 37" w/SuperStroke 2.0
:taylormade-small:2019 TP5, TP5x, 2021 Tour Response
"Share good bourbon with good friends..."

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2023 at 6:04 AM, Splatt said:

Yeah, I think Bryson definitely got caught up in chasing size and distance.

Big loss for the tour whether you like him or not. 

If he or Sergio never come back, I will not miss them. I actually enjoy the Tour without all the names that left, but those two are the worst! 

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

On 5/10/2023 at 7:32 AM, drb1956 said:

If he or Sergio never come back, I will not miss them. I actually enjoy the Tour without all the names that left, but those two are the worst! 

The thing that gets me with Bryson is that outside of the professional side of golf he really does seem to be a nice guy, he had that charity for helping kids get into golf, and in the Youtube stuff he put out he seems to have this real genuine love for the game and helping people and gets excited for other people doing well. Even at the LIV event in Adelaide he was putting on a show at the range for people after playing that day, hitting backwards shots, Happy Gilmore drives, and doing a shoey.

And the you get him on the course for a proper tournament, and he turns into this giant unlikeable asshat. It's wierd man.

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802