Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driving Hybrid Iron

fixyurdivot

One of the guys I've played with the last couple of weeks in men's league recently picked up and starting playing a TaylorMade DHY 2 iron.  Like so many of us, he struggled with 3w consistency and finds this club much easier/reliable to hit and very close in distance.  I hit it on the range and it was definitely more consistent ball flight than my 3w.  I know there are many "driving irons" and "crossover irons" available, but this seems more like a metal hybrid.  I have tried some regular hybrids recently - a couple seemed okay but overall nothing stood out.

Anyone tried or playing the driving iron hybrid style clubs?  Which one's have you tried or are playing and where does it fit in your bag?  It appears TM stopped production on the 2 DHY.  They still make the 3 and 4 DHY but I really think I need the 2 to fill the 3w spot.  Also, anyone know if another OEM makes these style metal hybrids?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

One of the guys I've played with the last couple of weeks in men's league recently picked up and starting playing a TaylorMade DHY 2 iron.  Like so many of us, he struggled with 3w consistency and finds this club much easier/reliable to hit and very close in distance.  I hit it on the range and it was definitely more consistent ball flight than my 3w.  I know there are many "driving irons" and "crossover irons" available, but this seems more like a metal hybrid.  I have tried some regular hybrids recently - a couple seemed okay but overall nothing stood out.

Anyone tried or playing the driving iron hybrid style clubs?  Which one's have you tried or are playing and where does it fit in your bag?  It appears TM stopped production on the 2 DHY.  They still make the 3 and 4 DHY but I really think I need the 2 to fill the 3w spot.  Also, anyone know if another OEM makes these style metal hybrids?

You can custom order a 2i. I am done buying stuff but as I become the age of you, maybe this would be good in a 4i spot and go 4w/7w/4dhy

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

41 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

do you feel you need good clubhead speed to make these driving irons work? 

Yes. It’s a long iron with some extra forgiveness

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Titled TMB and Srixon u45 have been in the bag in the past.

They were used for long par 3s, playing to a distance off the tee on short par 4s and where I might have need to punch a shot.

several brands have them or had them. Ping crossover, u500, Callaway UT.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Still have an OG Adams Pro DHY *21 floating around in the spare bag here & recent purchase of a Srixon ZX Utility #3 20 degree.

Last year experimented with taking the 4 iron out and replacing that spot with a Driving Iron and I liked it. Granted, it's course-dependent, but my home track doesnt have any 4-iron Par-3's.. that absolutely requires that specific distance....anything else is negotiable.

I definitely appreciated the extra forgiveness and the few yards when I needed it. I suspect as I get older i'll lean on these clubs more and more.

Driver - Srixon ZX5 (10.5*) - TT Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 

FW - PING G425 LS - 3W (14.5*) - Mitsubish Tensi Orange AV-65 - Stiff

Hy - PING G425 3h (19*) - PING ALTA CB 70 - Stiff

Irons - Srixon Z-Forged (4-PW) - Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 - Tour 120- Stiff

Wedges - Cleveland RTX-4 (52-10 MID) & Vokey SM8 - 56-14F & 60-04L

Putter - Rife Island Series Cayman Brac Phantom - 33 inches

I have a U-505 2 iron that is in a platoon with my 5 wood. For me, it’s really a tee shot only club that doesn’t really offer me much except for tight, tree-lined courses. But since my league course is tight and tree lined, it stays in the rotation.  Not consistent enough to hit it off the deck, and when I do catch it, it’s not gonna stop rolling out. Bit of a one trick pony…

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Now seeing listings and some reviews about the TM Gapr Lo and Mid.  The Lo looks a bit more UDI and the Mid more DHY (more like the current SIM2 DHY) but both have adjustable an hosel which could be a nice feature.  Anyone tried or playing these?  What are the forum thoughts on which style/design is easier to hit consistently?

34 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Now seeing listings and some reviews about the TM Gapr Lo and Mid.  The Lo looks a bit more UDI and the Mid more DHY (more like the current SIM2 DHY) but both have adjustable an hosel which could be a nice feature.  Anyone tried or playing these?  What are the forum thoughts on which style/design is easier to hit consistently?

Tried both back when they are new. The lo is low! Like low low low. Need to have a great swing and some speed to make that one work.

Mid is a great balance and much more playable. Has a good look, being black males it look a little smaller and a very powerful feeling on impact. Was super impressed with it.

The hi was also decent. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Tried both back when they are new. The lo is low! Like low low low. Need to have a great swing and some speed to make that one work.

Mid is a great balance and much more playable. Has a good look, being black males it look a little smaller and a very powerful feeling on impact. Was super impressed with it.

The hi was also decent. 

So weird.  I literally just pressed the "complete purchase" on an eBay excellent condition Gapr Mid 3 with the KBS 70 R then read your response.  It does seem like the Mid is the best fit for my game and swing speed.  Kind of taking a chance on this addition only having hit my friends SIM2 DHY but it seems this is very close to that design and I like the ability to adjust loft/lie. I'll report back on how it works. Thanks for the feedback Jamie and everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 8:10 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Still have an OG Adams Pro DHY *21 floating around in the spare bag here & recent purchase of a Srixon ZX Utility #3 20 degree.

Last year experimented with taking the 4 iron out and replacing that spot with a Driving Iron and I liked it. Granted, it's course-dependent, but my home track doesnt have any 4-iron Par-3's.. that absolutely requires that specific distance....anything else is negotiable. In the online cooperative game Shell Shockers, you take control of an egg-like figure who is equipped with a range of weaponry. 

I definitely appreciated the extra forgiveness and the few yards when I needed it. I suspect as I get older i'll lean on these clubs more and more.

After 3 weeks, do you feel good about that club? I'm also looking to join!

6 hours ago, Georgia Smith said:

After 3 weeks, do you feel good about that club? I'm also looking to join!

Solid.  I'm not quite getting the distance I'd hoped, but that may come with more time using it.  Mine is the Gapr Mid 3-18.  After the initial range session and trying loft settings, I have it adjusted down 1.5* and can still get decent ball height. This may or may not be the optimal setting and will repeat a range session but using my SC200.  I'm finding the DHY is way more consistent than the 3w.  The ~20 yards I give up on well hit shots on each is a good trade because I'm getting the DHY distance 8/10 swings vs. 5/10.  Plus, some of the 3w mishits are way short as compared to the DHY. I'm also seeing less dispersion - reducing stress on a few holes with sloped fairways guarded by water 😲.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 5:10 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Tour Edge Exotics has a few.  The older model they sell in CPO is the Iron-Wood.  The name conjures up GI irons from 20 years ago but once I got past that and tried one I bought more.  The Iron-Wood is available from TEE CPO for $80 but the lowest loft available is 19* and like anything else in Certified Pre Owned sometimes you have to wait for a combo that fits your needs to pop up.  https://shop.touredge.com/products/certified-pre-owned-exotics-cbx-iron-wood

The model that came after the Iron wood is the EXS 220 with Ti face and it's on CPO for $100 https://shop.touredge.com/products/certified-pre-owned-exotics-exs-220-ti-utility-iron

The current version is the C722 Ti Utility Iron.  CPO has some 17 degree versions for $160 https://shop.touredge.com/products/certified-pre-owned-tour-edge-exotics-c722-ti-utility-iron?variant=40540361195629

New they go for $199 directhttps://shop.touredge.com/products/tour-edge-exotics-c722-ti-utility-iron?variant=39784718958701

BTW I'm not affiliated with any golf company.  I do like sharing deals when I see them and Tour Edge has some great deals in pre owned and closeout.  Good luck.

Tour Edge Exotics

Cleveland

Odyssey