Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Titleist Pro V1 vs the rest for slower swing speeds

My swing speed for the driver is around 100 +/- I have been playing Bridgestone B RX for several years and like the ball.  After reading the MGS ball ratings I decided to try a Pro V1, which I used to play when I was younger.  The Titleist web site info says that the slower swing speed mumbo is just that.  Tho. the ball felt much harder off the driver as compared to the irons.  Not sure if I lost any distance, as I was able to get out for a round in February when we had a nice windy day in the 60's here in NE PA.  I would love to know what others think?  Since I am a tinkerer always looking for something.  

Take it back and let it go

My thoughts....it's a great ball, but there are other great balls that may suit your game equally, if not better.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Correct the notion that’s been out there about slow swing speeds and compressing a ball has been wrong.

Testing balls and finding what works best for one’s game is the best way to determine what works and doesn’t.

start on the green and find a ball that you like, then test the balls around the green, then with short irons, then long irons, then off the tee. Note which balls gives you the best results across the board. One may have to sacrifice something off the tee to get a ball that works around the green and vice versa 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have come to the conclusion that no ball is "perfect" for my swing.  The trick (and part of the fun) is finding the one that is the "net best" across all categories.... some aspects are 100% spot on... but to get that... I have to "give" a little in other aspects.  (Distance off the tee, distance with the irons, spin on full shots into the green, feel around the greens and putting... and several others).  The PV1 (last year and this year) are one of the top balls on my list... but there are a few others as well... just in slightly different ways.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

57 minutes ago, John Marchetto said:

My swing speed for the driver is around 100 +/- 

I just want to say that if you are swinging in the 100 range your swing speed isn’t slow.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

55 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I just want to say that if you are swinging in the 100 range your swing speed isn’t slow.   

Internet slow maybe!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I have around the same swing speed & I still play the ProV1.  It just performs better for me around & on the green.  This is far more important to me than any other aspect of a ball.  A few yards here & there I'm not too concerned about 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

14 hours ago, John Marchetto said:

Thank you all for your input - much appreciated.   Let the testing begin!

If you haven't yet, I would recommend trying out the Ballnamic fitting tool. If nothing else, it can get you a few balls to try and you can go from there.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Thanks Greg,

I was unaware of this tool.  I put in my data and got 5 results - the PRO V1 not being one of them.  Interestingly the Bryson (Bridgestone B X) ball was the best match with 95.4%. My current ball Bridgestone B RX, although only an 85.6% match (5th Place) was within a 1yd +/- on driver and 7 iron carry.  Most of the value change was wedge spin around the green data.  The other balls, although a better match than my B RX - again by green side data - did not give the same distance off the tee and 7 iron carry.  I guess this comes down to personal preference as to what you find most important to your game.

All said, it is a neat tool that will save you time by narrowing down choices for the cost of a box of balls.  And, in my case saving me some bucks by not purchasing Pro V's.  

Take it back and let it go

I played ProV1 most of last year and liked it a lot because of the green side spin.  I do not hit the ball very far with a swing speed at 85-90. This year I am not sure what I will be using because of price.  

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

John, I posted this comment on another site, but I'm pasting it here (below) because it relates to your question. Perhaps it will be helpful. (I apologize to those who may have read this).

Just a short aside, I live in the Princeton area, but occasionally play golf around Easton and Bethlehem are as well as in the Poconos. If you ever want to get together and play, let me know.

My comments are a response to several recent posts. I always enjoy testing golf balls. Even though I strongly prefer to try and compare balls on the course, being a hardcore golf ball guy, I simply had to try Ballnamic. 

I tried Ballnamic when it first came out, again at the end of last season, and last night to see if including the '23 balls made a difference. I did not specify a "favorite" ball or what I play. My rankings did change slightly from when I last tried it in December. My 1st place (Bridgestone Tour B X) and 2nd place (Callaway ChromeSoft X) recommendations stayed the same, but the new Titleist ProV1 was now in 3rd place, replacing the Vice Pro Plus.

Having been fitted several times for clubs, I do have a good idea of my "numbers" and ball flight characteristics. I put in accurate data. I do want to experiment a bit by running the Ballnamic tests again, but since my data and numbers are real and honest, I can't stray too far and still get meaningful outcomes.

Just a quick note for what it's worth: I never bought into recommending a certain model ball based on swing speed. I'm definitely in the camp that you test from the green back to the tee box. Being 72-years old with a few nagging meniscus and ankle injuries--not an excuse, I'm just saying--but my driver swing speed is now 83-85 mph. So, I'm a short hitter and not a bomber. I'm looking to improve the accuracy of my approach shots and really sharpen my short game in order to better my score.

I find the Ballnamic recommendations quite interesting. The Bridgestone Tour B X  has been my favorite ball for the last several years, despite my hobby of ongoing testing. The three different times I used Ballnamic, it was their top recommendation for me. It was, however, my "go to" ball before I even tried Ballnamic. I also plan to try both the new ProV1 and the CSX.

I'll end by stating that I am certainly a prime example of someone getting the best performance for my game from golf balls that some companies only recommend for high swing speed golfers.