Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bent clubs

Snoke29

When I was fitted for my irons (indoors) it was recommended that my irons be bent upright by 1 degree.  Why would this be a benefit?   To me I feel like I hit the ball totally different off grass then I do off a mat. I struggle hitting off a mat and don’t know why. 
Thanks for any explanation on this subject. 

Rsnoke

11 minutes ago, Snoke29 said:

When I was fitted for my irons (indoors) it was recommended that my irons be bent upright by 1 degree.  Why would this be a benefit?   To me I feel like I hit the ball totally different off grass then I do off a mat. I struggle hitting off a mat and don’t know why. 

There could be a multitude of reasons:  the biggest reason is to help you deliver the club at a better lie angle at impact.  This in turn helps straighten the ball flight.  

If your club is too flat for your swing then it means that during your swing, the toe of the club will be lower than the heel (normally you want them level at impact). That can result in the ball slicing (curving to the right for a right-handed golfer). There are a few reasons for this. In the case of an iron, it can result in the toe making contact with the turf before the center of the clubface makes contact with the ball. That results in an open clubface at the time of impact.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 minutes ago, Snoke29 said:

How was your lie angle measured?

Is how you swing indoors vs on grass a perception or have you compared video and data that shows your swing and delivery of club are actually different?

As for benefit or why it matters every 1° is 2-3 yards. So it can impact your start line, ball flight, dispersion

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

There could be a multitude of reasons:  the biggest reason is to help you deliver the club at a better lie angle at impact.  This in turn helps straighten the ball flight.  

If your club is too flat for your swing then it means that during your swing, the toe of the club will be lower than the heel (normally you want them level at impact). That can result in the ball slicing (curving to the right for a right-handed golfer). There are a few reasons for this. In the case of an iron, it can result in the toe making contact with the turf before the center of the clubface makes contact with the ball. That results in an open clubface at the time of impact.

I tend to pull hook my irons. Not always.  Would lie angle effect this?  I wasn’t 100% convinced I needed them bent.  I know the technology is there during the fitting but would hitting off a mat vs outdoors make a difference?  

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Rsnoke

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

How was your lie angle measured?

Is how you swing indoors vs on grass a perception or have you compared video and data that shows your swing and delivery of club are actually different?

As for benefit or why it matters every 1° is 2-3 yards. So it can impact your start line, ball flight, dispersion

It was measured at a local golf store during a fitting. I wasn’t measured outdoors where I think there would be a difference in how the iron interact a with the mat vs turf. 
I have a swing evaluation coming up with Golf Tech. I would think the equipment with Golf Tech is more advanced then where I was fitted. We shall see! 

Rsnoke

5 minutes ago, Snoke29 said:

I tend to pull hook my irons. Not always.  Would lie angle effect this?  I wasn’t 100% convinced I needed them bent.  I know the technology is there during the fitting but would hitting off a mat vs outdoors make a difference?  

If could.    Ideally the fitters should have bent them for you to see if it fixed what they were trying to fix.   Generally there is no difference but some people don't swing as well indoors.

2 minutes ago, Snoke29 said:

It was measured at a local golf store during a fitting. I wasn’t measured outdoors where I think there would be a difference in how the iron interact a with the mat vs turf. 
I have a swing evaluation coming up with Golf Tech. I would think the equipment with Golf Tech is more advanced then where I was fitted. We shall see! 

He was asking how it was measured.  Lie Board,  launch monitor like GC Quad,  something else?

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, Snoke29 said:

A pulled shot is more path related and face to path related, but there could be some affect from lie angle 

11 minutes ago, Snoke29 said:

Did they use a lie board to measure, sharpie line on the ball, or some other method?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

If could.    Ideally the fitters should have bent them for you to see if it fixed what they were trying to fix.   Generally there is no difference but some people don't swing as well indoors.

He was asking how it was measured.  Lie Board,  launch monitor like GC Quad,  something else?

Oops!  Sorry!  It was a launch monitor. 

Rsnoke

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

A pulled shot is more path related and face to path related, but there could be some affect from lie angle 

Did they use a lie board to measure, sharpie line on the ball, or some other method?

They did not use a lie board or sharpie line. It was strictly a launch monitor.  Thinking back on it I think it was kind of a half ass fitting. 

Rsnoke

3 minutes ago, Snoke29 said:

They did not use a lie board or sharpie line. It was strictly a launch monitor.  Thinking back on it I think it was kind of a half ass fitting. 

Unless they use a sharpie marker any other test is basically just a guess.

32 minutes ago, Snoke29 said:

What launch monitor?  Did they put the reflective dots on the club?    A launch monitor like GC Quad will measure the lie angle at impact and if it is typically 1 degree down,  the fitter might recommend that you adjust the lie.   the image I attached is a sample from a GC Quad and the bottom right of the image shows that the club is delivered 5.8* toe down which would suggest the need for a more upright lie angle.   Systems like trackman might report it as dynamic lie. 

You say that it was not a great fitting,  what makes you think Golftec will be any better?   What if they say you need 1* flat are you going to question their results?  

image.png.794ec0ddfd73d355f522d320d85761c8.png

21 hours ago, cnosil said:

You say that it was not a great fitting,  what makes you think Golftec will be any better?   What if they say you need 1* flat are you going to question their results?

What's a guy to do?

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you had a basic golf shop fitting which is generally okay. I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it (no pun intended). You can always bend your irons back as needed in the future. As for now, I recommend being cognizant of your ball flight and being honest with yourself. Determine if the ball is flying on line, left, or right consistent. If it isn't going straight, try and be honest on if it's a swing issue or is it the club. Bending a club upright 1* will cause the ball the go left, but only a couple yards. If everything you hit feels like it's missing or falling off to the left side, you might need to bend your irons to a stock or -1* flat lie. 

GolfTec should be able to identify with their launch monitors after the course of a swing evaluation if you may need your lie angles tweaked. Beware, they are going to try to lighten your wallet with fat lesson plans. I can't speak to how good they are but from everything I've read and the people I've talked to that go to GolfTec, it's kind of a one size fits all approach. I would take a lesson or two before making any big commitment to a lesson plan.